CSNbbs
As NIU fans, are we allowed to be critical of Marshall because of their schedule? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: As NIU fans, are we allowed to be critical of Marshall because of their schedule? (/thread-714919.html)

Pages: 1 2

As NIU fans, are we allowed to be critical of Marshall because of their schedule? - Who You Crappin'? - 11-25-2014 11:36 AM

It wasn't too long ago that we were in the same boat. I have a hard time bashing them for being undefeated.

Discuss....

RE: As NIU fans, are we allowed to be critical of Marshall because of their schedule? - jjprender - 11-25-2014 11:38 AM

I just don't understand how as a G5 team, you don't have a single P5 team scheduled... AD **** the bed..

When NIU went undefeated in 2013, it wasn't our fault Iowa was average and Purdue was rebuilding..

RE: As NIU fans, are we allowed to be critical of Marshall because of their schedule? - MileHighHuskie - 11-25-2014 11:39 AM

Undefeated is Undefeated, not ever easy. Hats off to them!

RE: As NIU fans, are we allowed to be critical of Marshall because of their schedule? - PrideinthePack - 11-25-2014 11:41 AM

Didn't they have a P5 team scheduled this season and something happened where they had to move/cancel the game?

RE: As NIU fans, are we allowed to be critical of Marshall because of their schedule? - Who You Crappin'? - 11-25-2014 11:42 AM

(11-25-2014 11:41 AM)PrideinthePack Wrote:  Didn't they have a P5 team scheduled this season and something happened where they had to move/cancel the game?

Louisville I believe.

RE: As NIU fans, are we allowed to be critical of Marshall because of their schedule? - HuskieJohn - 11-25-2014 11:53 AM

Boise St seems like a stronger team but Marshall has not lost a game so I put them as #1 if they win out.

On the flip side if the committee allows Marshall to get in at 13-0 while a 10-2 Boise St then that will set a very bad precedent for future scheduling.

No way I can argue NIU>Marshall without them losing 1 game.

RE: As NIU fans, are we allowed to be critical of Marshall because of their schedule? - rocketinchitown - 11-25-2014 11:59 AM

Louisville was scheduled at home the 2nd week and canceled last minute due to moving to the ACC, they could only find FCS Rhode Island (who happens to be unreal horrible) so a great chance at a quality win gets canceled.

The Ohio/Miami games are rivalry so they always play those and then they schedule Akron who was supposed to be better, but they should have aimed higher with already playing 2 MAC teams, especially since Miami hasnt been good in a few years.

RE: As NIU fans, are we allowed to be critical of Marshall because of their schedule? - DogPoundNorth - 11-25-2014 12:03 PM

I agree that if Marshall gets in as undefeated team without having to play a P5 (regardless of them losing the louisville game, schedule 2 like most G5 schools), that sets a very bad precedent when it comes to scheduling. There will be no point in ever scheduling a P5 team ever again.

I would argue a 2 Loss Boise or a 2 Loss NIU team deserves the Access Bowl over Marshall. And even Colorado State who's only loss is to ranked Boise State should get in over Marshall though the rule about conference champions won't allow that.

Marshall is obviously a really good team, and would PROBABLY kill Purdue an other weak P5 teams. But we'll never know. Even in our 1 Loss Orange Bowl season, we beat a real ****** P5 Kansas team, but we beat them.

RE: As NIU fans, are we allowed to be critical of Marshall because of their schedule? - Who You Crappin'? - 11-25-2014 01:23 PM

(11-25-2014 12:03 PM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  I agree that if Marshall gets in as undefeated team without having to play a P5 (regardless of them losing the louisville game, schedule 2 like most G5 schools d), that sets a very bad precedent when it comes to scheduling. There will be no point in ever scheduling a P5 team ever again.

I would argue a 2 Loss Boise or a 2 Loss NIU team deserves the Access Bowl over Marshall. And even Colorado State who's only loss is to ranked Boise State should get in over Marshall though the rule about conference champions won't allow that.

Marshall is obviously a really good team, and would PROBABLY kill Purdue an other weak P5 teams. But we'll never know. Even in our 1 Loss Orange Bowl season, we beat a real ****** P5 Kansas team, but we beat them.

Well, everything except the money that these teams rely on to function. But still, Boise St. should get it over Marshall. This reminds me of the argument caused by the Fresno St. game that was cancelled last year.

RE: As NIU fans, are we allowed to be critical of Marshall because of their schedule? - HuskieRak - 11-25-2014 01:39 PM

They had plenty of time to find a replacement for Louisville. The problem was, they refused to play it away. They wanted a home game. So yes, you should be critical of their schedule.

RE: As NIU fans, are we allowed to be critical of Marshall because of their schedule? - beachboy - 11-25-2014 02:06 PM

(11-25-2014 11:39 AM)MileHighHuskie Wrote:  Undefeated is Undefeated, not ever easy. Hats off to them!

Thank you. If being unbeaten is so easy, why don't more teams do it?

RE: As NIU fans, are we allowed to be critical of Marshall because of their schedule? - epasnoopy - 11-25-2014 02:28 PM

We've never had as weak of a schedule as them. We consistently play two and even three high-major teams in our OOC schedule year after year. And we consistently do it on the road.

But yes, we should be allowed to criticize them.

The other reason they are receiving criticism is their success is likely due to their schedule. Marshall has been pretty terrible for the last decade or more. So this seems more like a fluke season due to their schedule than them actually being good.

NIU has consistently been good for a while now.

RE: As NIU fans, are we allowed to be critical of Marshall because of their schedule? - Lord Stanley - 11-25-2014 02:33 PM

NIU and the G5 need to exploit every opportunity possible to crash the big boy's party. So if NIU wants future access to the best bowls and FBS opportunities, Huskie Nation should stand in 100% solidarity with Marshall and their run to undefeated-ness.

This support does not, however, mean we cannot still make jokes about Mops for Props, marrying your sister, or the State of West Viginny.

RE: As NIU fans, are we allowed to be critical of Marshall because of their schedule? - toddjnsn - 11-25-2014 03:06 PM

NIU's SoS so far is roughly the same as Marshall's though. Trust me, I'd love to say NIU's is much better, but it's not, really.

As the season's progressed though, I think NIU's schedule (and potential) has developed better: Northwestern, Arkansas, WMU --> better as the season's rolled on. However, NIU's still in the same "tier" of SoS as Marshall, with most arguing rightfully that NIU's is tougher -- mainly two games being tougher that stands out more than just SoS (NW & Ark).

P5 opponents isn't everything. You could replace playing Purdue this year with a BYU and the G5 matchup would be a better one. Plus, most opponents are not going to be P5 -- so a bigger key is how tough each time is. P5s obviously Tend to be better. G5 vs G5 on each's schedule can build up to overcome.

But here's what hurts NIU: Margin of victory. No, not by point total compilation... but by a narrow win/loss or big win/loss, and to Who in each game. It's where Marshall flourishes and NIU doesn't. That Does and should mean something. Think if it were the other way around! OMG, everyone would be going WTF on Marshall. :) But Marshall wouldn't be ranked, either.

I'll go by Massey COMPILATION ratings of all polls to determine SoS for each game against FBS. For D1AA, I'll go by Massey's own personal rating, and anyone D1AA ranked over 200 I'll count as 200.

NIU:
Presb #183 - Big Win
@Northwestern #57 - Win
@UNLV #120 - Win
@Arkansas #22 - Big Loss
Kent St #123 - Close Win
C Michigan #87 - Loss
Miami #121 - Win
@E Michigan #129 - Close Win
@BSU #110 - Win
Toledo #71 - Close Win
@Ohio #100 - Close Win
AVG OPP RANK: #102.09

NIU Highest 4 Teams Faced: #22, #57, #71, #87

MARSHALL:
@Miami #121 - Win
Rhode Island #200 - Big Win
Ohio #100 - Big Win
@Akron #103 - Big Win
@Old Dom #98 - Big Win
MTSU #83 - Big Win
@FL-Int #108 - Big Win
FL-Atl #111 - Win
@SouthMiss #112 - Big Win
Rice #67 - Big Win
@UAB #85 - Close Win
AVG OPP RANK: #108

Marshall Highest 4 Teams Faced: #67, #83, #85, #98

RE: As NIU fans, are we allowed to be critical of Marshall because of their schedule? - DogPoundNorth - 11-25-2014 03:11 PM

Yeah, Purdue is just awful! who the hell could ever lose to Pur.......... never mind

RE: As NIU fans, are we allowed to be critical of Marshall because of their schedule? - HuskieRak - 11-25-2014 03:18 PM

One big difference Todd - NIU has no choice on conference opponents. That's what brings NIU SOS schedule down. Where Marshall could have improved their schedule (OOC),, they refused to because they didn't want to give up a home game. It's basically impossible to find a P5 team to come to your house with only a year notice.

If they go undefeated and don't get in, all the blame can be put on the AD.

RE: As NIU fans, are we allowed to be critical of Marshall because of their schedule? - toddjnsn - 11-25-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:One big difference Todd - NIU has no choice on conference opponents.

Neither does Marshall, or anyone else in any conference. "Hey, let's not play MSU!" says UM looking toward a down year. 03-wink

Quote:That's what brings NIU SOS schedule down.

And Marshall's.

Quote: Where Marshall could have improved their schedule (OOC),, they refused to because they didn't want to give up a home game

They could have. However, I don't know the ins and outs of how MUCH better it would have been, though. They could have improved -- but would some top team semi-last minute schedule Marshall, knowing Marshall with 10 wins last year on their way up would be dangerous? Said team would probably not be very highly ranked at all. Probably a mid-range G5, not a bad team since there would be time -- a G5 wanting to make a name for themselves seeing the year being decent. Yes, would have helped their SoS, putting it around NIU's SoS (and slightly above) -- but still low altogether.

Quote:If they go undefeated and don't get in, all the blame can be put on the AD.

Yeah, possibly. They didn't have to schedule 3 MAC East teams. :) SO they bit it when Louisville had to drop -- and not at least getting what they could get -- which would be a #60-#75 team on the road who they could beat.

RE: As NIU fans, are we allowed to be critical of Marshall because of their schedule? - HuskieRak - 11-25-2014 03:40 PM

As much crap as I talk about their schedule, I'd still rather have Marshall play in the Access Bowl compared to Boise or CSU.

RE: As NIU fans, are we allowed to be critical of Marshall because of their schedule? - Enaiu - 11-25-2014 03:41 PM

(11-25-2014 03:40 PM)HuskieRak Wrote:  As much crap as I talk about their schedule, I'd still rather have Marshall play in the Access Bowl compared to Boise or CSU.

Agreed... I guess I just don't like MWC having all the fame.

RE: As NIU fans, are we allowed to be critical of Marshall because of their schedule? - toddjnsn - 11-25-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:As much crap as I talk about their schedule, I'd still rather have Marshall play in the Access Bowl compared to Boise or CSU.

Me looking at it -- Marshall has dominated most their games. Now, if the end their last two games LIMPING to wins -- and Boise Storming Thru wins -- I'd want to see Boise.

Of course, if Marshall loses to LA-Tech, and Boise loses to San Diego State or Fresno who are struggling to be .500+ ---> Look Out. If NIU were to (don't count on it) beat WMU and beat BGSU in Detroit -- they'd very possibly be going to the Access Bowl.

All that requires at least a few planets to align... but is theoretically possible.