CSNbbs
Gonzaga as an affiliate member of another conference. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Gonzaga as an affiliate member of another conference. (/thread-713358.html)

Pages: 1 2

Gonzaga as an affiliate member of another conference. - C2__ - 11-17-2014 09:31 PM

Would it be possible for Gonzaga to become an affiliate basketball only (men and women) member of the Big East, Atlantic-10 or even the MWC? The WCC has improved over the last decade thanks to St. Mary's and BYU but they could get more visibility and more quality teams for RPI/resume building in the eastern leagues or MWC. Plus, they'd avoid sending women's tennis and softball hundreds of miles for every conference road game/event.

I ask this because their program has become a little stale and could use a spark.

RE: Gonzaga as an affiliate member of another conference. - jdgaucho - 11-17-2014 10:16 PM

As soon as basketball tries to leave for somewhere else, the WCC will tell their other sports to get lost. They all have to be under one roof.

And no football, no MWC.

RE: Gonzaga as an affiliate member of another conference. - Niner National - 11-17-2014 10:17 PM

It isn't possible. You can only split your teams if the conference you are in does not sponsor a sport that you do.

RE: Gonzaga as an affiliate member of another conference. - C2__ - 11-17-2014 10:49 PM

(11-17-2014 10:16 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  As soon as basketball tries to leave for somewhere else, the WCC will tell their other sports to get lost. They all have to be under one roof.

And no football, no MWC.

I don't think conferences can do that and the WCC would be cautious not to burn a bridge (as they may one day come back). The WCC needs Gonzaga basketball more than Gonzaga needs it and the Zags have generally been the hand that's fed the league, even as has BYU come on board.

And the MWC could make an exception, as they've done with Hawaii and would do for BYU (either football only or non-football) in a heartbeat.

(11-17-2014 10:17 PM)Niner National Wrote:  It isn't possible. You can only split your teams if the conference you are in does not sponsor a sport that you do.

True, I forgot about that. If the Zags were even as far east as Omaha (like Creighton), they'd have been in one of the two many years ago. They're like a combination of the old San Francisco and Princeton programs.

RE: Gonzaga as an affiliate member of another conference. - NoDak - 11-18-2014 12:25 AM

(11-17-2014 09:31 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Would it be possible for Gonzaga to become an affiliate basketball only (men and women) member of the Big East, Atlantic-10 or even the MWC? The WCC has improved over the last decade thanks to St. Mary's and BYU but they could get more visibility and more quality teams for RPI/resume building in the eastern leagues or MWC. Plus, they'd avoid sending women's tennis and softball hundreds of miles for every conference road game/event.

I ask this because their program has become a little stale and could use a spark.

The Big East has been sometimes mentioned, but the logistics are just too much, even with Denver or St Louis as members.

RE: Gonzaga as an affiliate member of another conference. - adcorbett - 11-18-2014 12:22 PM

(11-17-2014 09:31 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Would it be possible for Gonzaga to become an affiliate basketball only (men and women) member of the Big East, Atlantic-10 or even the MWC?

Not with basketball. For most schools in Division 1, basketball is the only sport that makes money, so there are rules in place (I forget where) where basically basketball has different rules than other sports. For one, it is the one sport that everyone in D1 must sponsor. And it has to be in your primary league. And unlike other sports, where you are allowed to designate one sport to play at a higher level (for example Johns Hopkins can play all sports DIII, but play DI Lacrosse) basketball does not allow that exception - note I don't think football does either, but no school would try to play D1 football if they were DII or DIII everything else so it probably doesn't matter.

On top of that, I cannot see a scenario where a conference would want to house the non-revenue sports of a school, and allow the revenue sport to walk out the door, even if the NCAA did allow it.

RE: Gonzaga as an affiliate member of another conference. - orangefan - 11-18-2014 12:39 PM

The obvious conference to join would be the MWC, which is no more of a travel challenge than the WCC.

If they did join the Big East, however, keep in mind that the only sports that present a particular travel burden are team sports. The remaining sports compete in one weekend conference championship events. The big issue is travel burden on the students, not cost. They already have to fly everywhere.

With respect to team sports, GU sponsors men's basketball, baseball and soccer, and women's basketball, volleyball and soccer. It seems likely that GU could place at least a couple of these teams in a western conference as partial members. The WAC has to be pretty desperate, for instance.

RE: Gonzaga as an affiliate member of another conference. - Chappy - 11-18-2014 01:56 PM

If the MWC wanted a 12th basketball member, I imagine the Zags would be the top choice.

But now that BYU is in the WCC, I think it's a pretty good home for Gonzaga. There are a few good programs in that league.

Gonzaga as an affiliate member of another conference. - chargeradio - 11-18-2014 07:47 PM

Technically speaking, the NCAA considers the conference a school plays basketball in to be its primary conference.

RE: Gonzaga as an affiliate member of another conference. - robertfoshizzle - 11-18-2014 08:11 PM

Gonzaga is fine where they are IMO. They have been to 16 straight tournaments. They have earned a #1 seed. BYU and Saint Mary's are in the tournament discussion every year, and there are a couple other schools in the conference who are competitive as well. They are able to get all the SOS out of conference they need. They are in a league with like-minded schools that make geographic sense. What conference would they be better off in? Only one I can think of is the Big East, but the geography is just not logical. I don't think the Mountain West is enough of an upgrade to warrant consideration. They aren't getting in the Pac 12. So I think they are content where they are.

RE: Gonzaga as an affiliate member of another conference. - OrangeCrush22 - 11-18-2014 09:57 PM

If Gonzaga wants to play better teams in-conference then they have to help cultivate the WCC. This means pressuring other schools in the conference to improve (except for St. Mary's and BYU) and lobbying for expansion. Basketball-wise Denver's been D1 since 1998 and is trending upward and Seattle returned to D1 in 2009. Both schools have shown a commitment to bettering their basketball programs -- which is more than can be said for some WCC members. The WCC doesn't have the ability to add anyone who's already proven, so they have to work with what they've got and improve.

RE: Gonzaga as an affiliate member of another conference. - C2__ - 11-18-2014 10:19 PM

Unless Elgin Baylor finds the fountain of youth and some more eligibility, I don't see how adding Seattle does anything. Their name means as much as San Francisco now days (insert Bill Russell and Cartwright into that last thought).

The program(s) to try and add are Creighton (ha, maybe 5 years ago) and maybe NDSU if they wanted to make an exception and add a public (odd fit though, obviously).

Gonzaga as an affiliate member of another conference. - chargeradio - 11-19-2014 08:33 PM

What it will take for Loyola Marymount to be good again? It seems like 20-25 years ago they were on their way to becoming what Gonzaga is now.

RE: Gonzaga as an affiliate member of another conference. - C2__ - 11-19-2014 09:36 PM

Perfect storm of the right coach and players (even if one passed untimely). Pepperdine was the one that should have been better, they started to tank as former NBA Finalist head coach Paul Westphal took over. He had the perfect location of Malibu and everything lined up.

RE: Gonzaga as an affiliate member of another conference. - Wedge - 11-20-2014 12:49 AM

Based on tonight's game, I'd say the Zags are not stale, and have plenty of spark.

RE: Gonzaga as an affiliate member of another conference. - C2__ - 11-20-2014 05:14 AM

The Zags always do well in the regular season, they even garnered a 1 seed two years back. Then, on cue, they lose in the first weekend. They've made the Sweet 16 twice since 2001 (13 years).

RE: Gonzaga as an affiliate member of another conference. - TexanMark - 11-20-2014 10:07 AM

Zags were up 60-11 on St Joe's Yowza...this team could be back to America's mid major darling after Butler started sucking.

RE: Gonzaga as an affiliate member of another conference. - C2__ - 11-20-2014 10:51 PM

Gotta prove it in March.

RE: Gonzaga as an affiliate member of another conference. - Captain Bearcat - 11-21-2014 10:47 AM

(11-20-2014 05:14 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  The Zags always do well in the regular season, they even garnered a 1 seed two years back. Then, on cue, they lose in the first weekend. They've made the Sweet 16 twice since 2001 (13 years).

That's why the WCC is perfect for them. Easy to win and get plenty of attention. And now that BYU is in the conference they can still get attention in down years too.

RE: Gonzaga as an affiliate member of another conference. - Melky Cabrera - 11-23-2014 01:17 AM

(11-18-2014 10:19 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Unless Elgin Baylor finds the fountain of youth and some more eligibility, I don't see how adding Seattle does anything. Their name means as much as San Francisco now days (insert Bill Russell and Cartwright into that last thought).

The program(s) to try and add are Creighton (ha, maybe 5 years ago) and maybe NDSU if they wanted to make an exception and add a public (odd fit though, obviously).

Creighton?