CSNbbs
Scenario where SEC is shut out of 4-team playoff. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------- Forum: NTR Sports (/forum-675.html)
+------- Thread: Scenario where SEC is shut out of 4-team playoff. (/thread-711180.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Scenario where SEC is shut out of 4-team playoff. - CKMcDan - 11-05-2014 06:30 PM

There is a way for the SEC to end up with 6 teams with at least 2 losses at the end of the regular season:

LSU: Wins out
Georgia: Wins out.
Ole Miss: Wins out
Mississippi State: Loses @ Alabama & loses @ Ole Miss.
Auburn: Loses @ Alabama
Alabama: Loses @ LSU
SEC championship game loser would end up w/ 3 losses, so that would leave five 2-loss SEC Teams.

If that plays out, then would a 1-loss team get picked for the playoff ahead of a 2-loss SEC team?

Florida State wins out (undefeated, so they are in)
Oregon wins out (they're #3 now, so they are in)
Notre Dame wins out. (their only loss is a controversial loss @ FSU - they are in)
Winner of Kansas State/TCU wins out.
Winner of Mich State/Ohio State wins out

That would give you five 1-loss teams.
I can definitely see the SEC being shut out under this scenario. Ole Miss droped like a rock in this week's polls after getting loss #2 against Auburn. If Georgia wins the SEC Championship game, then I would guarantee it.

RE: Scenario where SEC is shut out of 4-team playoff. - HometownTiger - 11-05-2014 07:26 PM

I'll keep it very short. There is no way the SEC gets left out.

RE: Scenario where SEC is shut out of 4-team playoff. - Rob - 11-05-2014 07:41 PM

Wishful thinking

RE: Scenario where SEC is shut out of 4-team playoff. - spankadelphia - 11-05-2014 07:57 PM

The SEC champion is a virtual lock unless it's Georgia. A two loss Auburn team would get a serious look with their strength of schedule.

RE: Scenario where SEC is shut out of 4-team playoff. - mairving - 11-05-2014 08:58 PM

If that were to happen then they would go to an 8 team playoff next year or maybe this year.

RE: Scenario where SEC is shut out of 4-team playoff. - tigernole79 - 11-05-2014 10:34 PM

It is hillarious that people drink the $EC koolaid this way. It could EASILY happen if a team like Georgia, or worse wins the $EC Championship. If there are 6 or 7 one loss teams, the $EC champ or any western conference team WOULD be shut out!!!!

If FSU loses a game, they are shut out and they are the defending champ.... It amazes me how everybody here thinks an $EC with no undefeated or even 1 loss teams is somehow automatically still the best conference in football. There could still be two 1 loss Big 12 teams, an undefeated FSU, one 1 loss Pac 12 and Big 10 football team and all 4 would be conference champs!!! Not to mention a 1 loss Notre Dame team... THAT alone would rule out an $EC team.

I hope Bama gets destroyed by L$U this weekend. Pass the "eye test" and somehow they are the most complete team because they blew out a bad Texas A&M team and beat ut by 17.... how does that mean you are good!?!!

RE: Scenario where SEC is shut out of 4-team playoff. - spankadelphia - 11-05-2014 10:44 PM

Hate on the SEC all you want, but the west division is clearly on another level this year...

RE: Scenario where SEC is shut out of 4-team playoff. - tigernole79 - 11-05-2014 10:56 PM

Why is that!?!! Because they started the preseason ranked so high?! So that a win is HUGE and a loss isn't that bad!?! Remember when ESPN hacks were pushing Texas A&M as championship contenders because of their victory over South Carolina!?!!!! 04-jawdrop
Bama has beaten.... who!?! W VA by 10 on a neutral site?!
L$U beat Wisconsin... an average team at best.
Auburn beat Kansas State by FAR their best victory this year.... but it was ONLY because K St missed 3 field goals and dropped two td passes. Not by any stretch convincing, only mildly impressive.

Other than that... Miss St still hangs its hat on victories over L$U and Texas A&M and Auburn. Bama... hell, Memphis played ole miss better than they did!!!
I will GLADLY admit that I am NOT an $EC fan.
There are NO dominant teams this year, but there are NO dominant $EC teams this year either. All this talk of $EC getting two or three teams in the playoffs is just stupid!!!!

The ONLY way that happens....
Notre Dame crushes Arizona State then loses to U$C. Oregon loses to Oregon State and whoever is the champion from the south division.
Whoever wins the Big 10 has another loss in the regular season, before winning the conference.
TCU, Kansas State and Baylor all have another loss.
FSU loses to Florida.
Bama wins out, but beats Auburn by less than 4. Miss St only loses to Bama by a few points. Whoever wins the east gets killed by Bama.
Then you would have 2 one loss $EC teams with a 3 loss Auburn having a great OOC win and a strong case for a 3rd slot in a playoff that has NO conference outside of the $EC with less than 2 losses.

RE: Scenario where SEC is shut out of 4-team playoff. - CKMcDan - 11-06-2014 12:35 AM

(11-05-2014 06:30 PM)CKMcDan Wrote:  There is a way for the SEC to end up with 6 teams with at least 2 losses at the end of the regular season:

LSU: Wins out
Georgia: Wins out.
Ole Miss: Wins out
Mississippi State: Loses @ Alabama & loses @ Ole Miss.
Auburn: Loses @ Alabama
Alabama: Loses @ LSU
SEC championship game loser would end up w/ 3 losses, so that would leave five 2-loss SEC Teams.

If that plays out, then would a 1-loss team get picked for the playoff ahead of a 2-loss SEC team?

Florida State wins out (undefeated, so they are in)
Oregon wins out (they're #3 now, so they are in)
Notre Dame wins out. (their only loss is a controversial loss @ FSU - they are in)
Winner of Kansas State/TCU wins out.
Winner of Mich State/Ohio State wins out

That would give you five 1-loss teams.
I can definitely see the SEC being shut out under this scenario. Ole Miss droped like a rock in this week's polls after getting loss #2 against Auburn. If Georgia wins the SEC Championship game, then I would guarantee it.

It gets even better!
Georgia plays Auburn on Nov 15. If Georgia loses, they have 3 losses. If they, or one of the other SEC East teams win the SEC Championship, under the scenario above, both teams coming out of the SEC Championship would have 3 losses. There is absolutely no way a 3-loss team gets to the 4-team playoff.

I can't imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth should the SEC get shut out, after having 3 of the 4 playoff spots in some of the earlier polls. It would be epic!

RE: Scenario where SEC is shut out of 4-team playoff. - ncrdbl1 - 11-06-2014 12:44 AM

Even if it plays out just as you described it. ESPN will not allow the SEC to be left out. They will pill every string they have to make sure the SEC champion is in the playoffs. A 3 loss SEC champion will be in playoffs even if it means omitting a 1 loss team.

RE: Scenario where SEC is shut out of 4-team playoff. - georgiatiger - 11-06-2014 01:29 AM

I'd prefer to see some regional teams in the playoffs. Doesn't mean I'll pull for them. Doesn't mean I won't.

RE: Scenario where SEC is shut out of 4-team playoff. - Mimi - 11-06-2014 09:29 AM

Some real anger above...goodness.

It makes sense that ESPN...at least it makes sense to those claiming ESPN has a conspiracy...would want to insure that teams from the hugely populated states of Alabama and Mississippi would be represented at the expense of a more national representation.

So all those small market states have to do is win a game or two against other small market states. Because the fact that SEC member schools have dominated non SEC member schools for a long long time does not mean anything, I mean after all, singular games like Indiana over Mizzou prove that Alabama over WV or Auburn over KState or Georgia over Clemson were just set up games...similar stuff like that for nearly a decade are not reasons to think they have more good teams...just conspiracy.

One SEC non conference loss equals a lot of wins.
Boise State beat Georgia a few years back! I mean that alone is enough to overcome Auburn over Oregon or LSU over Oregon or Florida over Oklahoma or the above.

RE: Scenario where SEC is shut out of 4-team playoff. - Stammers - 11-06-2014 09:36 AM

(11-06-2014 12:44 AM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Even if it plays out just as you described it. ESPN will not allow the SEC to be left out. They will pill every string they have to make sure the SEC champion is in the playoffs. A 3 loss SEC champion will be in playoffs even if it means omitting a 1 loss team.

Funny...awesome.

RE: Scenario where SEC is shut out of 4-team playoff. - CKMcDan - 11-06-2014 10:19 AM

I'm assuming Florida State, Oregon & Notre Dame all win out to get spots 1-3.

And...let's say that the SEC East wins the SEC Championship game (with 3 losses). I still can't imagine a 3-loss team getting a playoff spot over a 1-loss, conference championship team.

However....The SEC West runner-up would likely have only 2 losses. Would a 2-loss SEC West runner up (Alabama, for instance) get the 4th playoff spot over a 1-loss Big 10 (Michigan State/Ohio State/Nebraska) or Big 12 (TCU/Baylor/Kansas State) champion?

RE: Scenario where SEC is shut out of 4-team playoff. - salukiblue - 11-06-2014 10:30 AM

Let's say Oregon, FSU and ND run the table.

Georgia loses to Auburn and Mizzou wins the SEC East. Mind you Mizzou lost to Big 10 doormat Indiana (in Columbia) earlier this year. MSU runs the table and wins the West. Then loses to Mizzou.

Does Mizzou get the 4th spot as SEC champ (with 3 losses) or does MSU stay in the top 4?

If Bama beats MSU and both of them win out...Bama wins the West via tiebreak. If Bama loses to the East team does Bama still get in the top 4, or would MSU get the spot by not even winning their division?

RE: Scenario where SEC is shut out of 4-team playoff. - CKMcDan - 11-06-2014 12:41 PM

That's a great question. I think that this is the only scenario where the loser of the SEC championship game has a chance to leapfrog the winner for a playoff spot. In this scenario, Miss State would only have 1 loss (to Mizzou), and would have wins @ Alabama, @ Ole Miss & Auburn - 3 teams that were in the top 4 some time during the year.

RE: Scenario where SEC is shut out of 4-team playoff. - salukiblue - 11-06-2014 01:46 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how Ole Miss fell from 4 to 11.

The rankings are "supposed" to be based upon who the best team are. So essentially, the #4 team played the #3 team and was a foot and a half from winning the game but not for the ball carrier breaking his leg and fumbling the ball.
If Treadwell had made it 18 inches further, OM would likely be ranked #2 or #3 this week. Instead they are #11.

Crazy and just shows how little credibility these rankings have.

RE: Scenario where SEC is shut out of 4-team playoff. - CKMcDan - 11-06-2014 05:19 PM

(11-06-2014 01:46 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  I'm still trying to figure out how Ole Miss fell from 4 to 11.

The rankings are "supposed" to be based upon who the best team are. So essentially, the #4 team played the #3 team and was a foot and a half from winning the game but not for the ball carrier breaking his leg and fumbling the ball.
If Treadwell had made it 18 inches further, OM would likely be ranked #2 or #3 this week. Instead they are #11.

If what happened to Ole Miss happens Alabama, Auburn or Mississippi State, then it's conceivable that the SEC could miss the playoff this year, particularly if all of the SEC teams cross the 2-loss threshold, and there are a number of non-SEC teams still with only 1 loss.

Ole Miss looked horrible against LSU, but they played well against Auburn. Ole Miss didn't drop out of the top 4 after the LSU loss. They tumbled after loss #2 against Auburn.

RE: Scenario where SEC is shut out of 4-team playoff. - tigernole79 - 11-06-2014 06:03 PM

(11-06-2014 01:46 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  I'm still trying to figure out how Ole Miss fell from 4 to 11.

Credibility!?!!! ole miss has TWO losses!!!! How are they better than any 1 loss team, especially Kansas State who should've beat Auburn and lost because of a leg as well... Once again, ole miss beat Bama! That's it!!!! They played two other ranked teams and lost BOTH!!!
Notre Dame lost because of a penalty, rightly called, but a penalty!! They fell from what would've been the #2 spot to #10.... I didn't see you decrying the credibility of this poll.
If ole miss only had one loss and fell like that, I could see it.... They DON'T.

RE: Scenario where SEC is shut out of 4-team playoff. - tigernole79 - 11-06-2014 06:05 PM

ESPN has invested a ton of money in the $EC Network. Are you so stupid that you don't understand a return of investment!?!! I mean I understand your hatred of FSU and how the $EC has been the most dominant conference in the history of college football, but this isn't that hard to see. Take off your $EC glasses and look at it rationally.

I love the fact that as I was writing this, the banner flashing at the top of the screen is the ESPN SEC Network.... Yeah, absolutley no reason for them to push the $EC. And people called me funny!!!