CSNbbs
Is Memphis becoming. ......A "sports town"?...... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Is Memphis becoming. ......A "sports town"?...... (/thread-710264.html)

Is Memphis becoming. ......A "sports town"?...... - thagr82008 - 10-30-2014 12:44 PM

Just thought I would ask! There is soo much excitement around our football program; Grizz & soon to kick off the basketball season, they're so many options to to post info on.......Wow, it's very exciting, I must admit and wanted to hear from others, as I have never experienced this level of interest from so many facits simultaneously! . Is Memphis, in the heart of SEC country I might add, becoming a "sports town"?

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: Is Memphis becoming. ......A "sports town"?...... - Brother Bluto - 10-30-2014 12:51 PM

Its been one for 13 years

RE: Is Memphis becoming. ......A "sports town"?...... - Tiger1983 - 10-30-2014 12:54 PM

IMO, the Griz arrival confirmed Memphis as a sports town.

RE: Is Memphis becoming. ......A "sports town"?...... - kabluey - 10-30-2014 01:26 PM

I always thought the Sporting News definition of "sports town" was very myopic. Basing a fanbase on success, or local teams, is only part of the picture. The St. Jude Classic, the (newly-renamed) Memphis Open, the reported ratings our market produces for MMA/boxing and NBA, and the numbers of Memphians who are season ticket holders of SEC schools all add to a solid foundation of Tigers/Grizz/Redbirds to support that this was a great sports town. It also sounds like there are more 5Ks, bike excursions, other outdoor activities for Memphians to actually participate in and knock down the deplorable obesity epidemic. I doubt there are many metros in the 1.0-1.5 mill range that significantly exceed Memphis in sports. It could improve, as always, but it's come a long way, and we should pause and appreciate that before moving ahead.

RE: Is Memphis becoming. ......A "sports town"?...... - HornLakeTiger - 10-30-2014 03:24 PM

The Grizzlies made Memphis a sports town.

The playoff runs over the last several years made Memphis a respected sports town.

RE: Is Memphis becoming. ......A "sports town"?...... - Stammers - 10-30-2014 03:26 PM

(10-30-2014 03:24 PM)HornLakeTiger Wrote:  The Grizzlies made Memphis a sports town.

The playoff runs over the last several years made Memphis a respected sports town.

Memphis wasn't respected when the Grizzlies were drawing 17,000 a game for a losing franchise? Funny.

RE: Is Memphis becoming. ......A "sports town"?...... - georgiatiger - 10-30-2014 03:33 PM

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/09/10-most-underrated-sports-cities-in-america

RE: Is Memphis becoming. ......A "sports town"?...... - fsquid - 10-30-2014 04:32 PM

Its been one for 40 years

Re: RE: Is Memphis becoming. ......A "sports town"?...... - thagr82008 - 10-30-2014 07:09 PM

(10-30-2014 03:33 PM)georgiatiger Wrote:  http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/09/10-most-underrated-sports-cities-in-america

Thanks for the confirmation G ' Tiger! Love to see this recognized on a National level....Most importantly, I think, is that it feels like a sports town. Of course more ad campaign s as well as better media coverage solidifying that for me would be awesome.....

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: Is Memphis becoming. ......A "sports town"?...... - tigeriron - 10-30-2014 07:30 PM

(10-30-2014 04:32 PM)fsquid Wrote:  Its been one for 40 years

oh well, so much for a puberty angle

RE: Is Memphis becoming. ......A "sports town"?...... - k2tigers - 10-30-2014 10:54 PM

I can't think of many cities with a metro pop over 1 million that is not a "sports city."

Either via pro or college sports. Memphis has always been that. Tigers, SEC, Grizzlies whatever. College or pro.

RE: Is Memphis becoming. ......A "sports town"?...... - TigerJJ - 10-31-2014 12:17 AM

I think we also rank in the top 5 of tv ratings in the country for watching college football and basketball.

RE: Is Memphis becoming. ......A "sports town"?...... - Mimi - 10-31-2014 06:19 AM

Everything else has been gravy...silly attempts to mask insecurities above notwithstanding.

RE: Is Memphis becoming. ......A "sports town"?...... - TripleA - 10-31-2014 07:06 AM

(10-30-2014 04:32 PM)fsquid Wrote:  Its been one for 40 years

Yep. Actually, more like 60. Been one since the '50s, at least.

RE: Is Memphis becoming. ......A "sports town"?...... - Gray Avenger - 10-31-2014 08:26 AM

If a "sports fan" is someone who would be interested in a large portion of the articles to be found in a typical Sports Illustrated issue, I certainly am not one. The only parts of that magazine which interest me in the least are those pertaining to college athletics.

RE: Is Memphis becoming. ......A "sports town"?...... - Tiger46 - 10-31-2014 09:26 AM

Always been a sports town. Tigers, SEC games at Liberty Bowl, SEC basketball tournaments, Metro, CUSA, AAC basketball tournaments, NCAA Regional tournaments, Liberty Bowl's long history. Tons of Cardinals fans driving to St Louis for games every year. FedEx St Jude Golf tournament.

And then there's wrasslin.....

RE: Is Memphis becoming. ......A "sports town"?...... - kabluey - 10-31-2014 12:10 PM

Also, weren't we one of the better markets for World Cup? Can't remember if it was top 5 or 20, but I recall that.

RE: Is Memphis becoming. ......A "sports town"?...... - kabluey - 10-31-2014 12:14 PM

(10-30-2014 10:54 PM)k2tigers Wrote:  I can't think of many cities with a metro pop over 1 million that is not a "sports city."

Either via pro or college sports. Memphis has always been that. Tigers, SEC, Grizzlies whatever. College or pro.

It's usually cities larger than that, on the coasts, that start to lose that moniker. Think about it, even towns of hundreds are sports towns if they revolve and support their only high school in b'ball or football. But it's the LA's and Miami's that lose their attendance and ratings. Or the Atlantas and DC's that have the transplanted talent that is reflected in mediocre attendance, but maybe not mediocre interest. When you think about it, being a "poor" sports town should be regarded as a badge of honor for a community (there are other badges out there for sure that good sports towns can still possess). It suggests something attractive about that community. Bring in a few hundred thousand transplants, internationals, etc. Dilute the overall fanaticism for any particular team some. Might reduce our "sports town" stature, but mean much more qualitatively for other aspects of our city?

RE: Is Memphis becoming. ......A "sports town"?...... - Stammers - 10-31-2014 12:38 PM

The worst sports towns are Miami, Atlanta, and Houston.