CSNbbs
NBR: Magic City Classic weekend recap - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: NBR: Magic City Classic weekend recap (/thread-709755.html)

Pages: 1 2

NBR: Magic City Classic weekend recap - GreenHornet33 - 10-27-2014 06:41 AM

Im still sick about this weekend and losing the way we did but overall it was great weekend. We had no problems with the parking Nazis and I met quite a few Blazer fans over the course of Wednesday through Sunday. The city of Birmingham does such an amazing job with the event.

Now to the ģame. There's no reason we should have lost this game period. We were up 20-7 late in the 2nd with an opportunity to push the lead to 27-7 and turned the ball over. I commend Alabama A&M for doing what they needed to do to get the win. I've never heard Legion Field as louder than what it was for the last 5-minutes of the ball game on Saturday. Overall great atmosphere, great game, amazing pageantry I just hate that we couldn't pull it out.

I will post pictures as soon as I can get em up.

RE: NBR: Magic City Classic weekend recap - rook360 - 10-27-2014 06:59 AM

I keep hearing Barlow is on the hotseat.

RE: NBR: Magic City Classic weekend recap - GreenHornet33 - 10-27-2014 07:25 AM

(10-27-2014 06:59 AM)rook360 Wrote:  I keep hearing Barlow is on the hotseat.

That seat is way past hot now. For the last 4 years we've had one of the most talented rosters not only in the SWAC but in all of FCS but we have 0 championships. We're definitely getting restless and Saturday may have sealed his fate.

RE: NBR: Magic City Classic weekend recap - BamaScorpio69 - 10-27-2014 07:49 AM

Yeah I was shocked ASU lost the game. I agree that Birmingham does an amazing job with the Classic but they talked about the future of the Classic on the Gameday Show on WJOX Saturday. The hosts definitely believe that eventually and sooner than later, the Classic will move to the campuses. And it makes perfect sense because both schools have beautiful stadiums to play in and are located in better areas than where Legion Field is located.

I think it is a no-brainer for it to happen. Legion Field is not a place to hold such an historic game anymore and it's not the place UAB should be playing at either. I will say no more...lol.

RE: NBR: Magic City Classic weekend recap - GreenHornet33 - 10-27-2014 07:54 AM

(10-27-2014 07:49 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  Yeah I was shocked ASU lost the game. I agree that Birmingham does an amazing job with the Classic but they talked about the future of the Classic on the Gameday Show on WJOX Saturday. The hosts definitely believe that eventually and sooner than later, the Classic will move to the campuses. And it makes perfect sense because both schools have beautiful stadiums to play in and are located in better areas than where Legion Field is located.

I think it is a no-brainer for it to happen. Legion Field is not a place to hold such an historic game anymore and it's not the place UAB should be playing at either. I will say no more...lol.

Our stadiums cant hold the crowds. Attendance was 67,712 on Saturday and that doesn't include the 30-40,000 that never enter the stadium. Huntsville and Montgomery don't have the infrastructure to handle the event. I listened to that show on Saturday but those guys honestly dont have any idea about why we play in Birmingham and the impact on our schools.

RE: NBR: Magic City Classic weekend recap - BamaScorpio69 - 10-27-2014 08:23 AM

(10-27-2014 07:54 AM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  
(10-27-2014 07:49 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  Yeah I was shocked ASU lost the game. I agree that Birmingham does an amazing job with the Classic but they talked about the future of the Classic on the Gameday Show on WJOX Saturday. The hosts definitely believe that eventually and sooner than later, the Classic will move to the campuses. And it makes perfect sense because both schools have beautiful stadiums to play in and are located in better areas than where Legion Field is located.

Our stadiums cant hold the crowds. Attendance was 67,712 on Saturday and that doesn't include the 30-40,000 that never enter the stadium. Huntsville and Montgomery don't have the infrastructure to handle the event. I listened to that show on Saturday but those guys honestly dont have any idea about why we play in Birmingham and the impact on our schools.

I understand the crowds aspect and I don't know how much both schools make from the event. All I will say if ASU and AAMU determine they can make more money holding the game on campus instead of Birmigham, it will eventually happen.

But I do believe that ASU and AAMU needs to put pressure on the City of Brimingham to either make some serious upgrades to Legion Field or threaten to take the game elsewhere like Atlanta. The game brings in entirely too much money to Birmingham and yet all the city has to offer is a rundown stadium to play in.

RE: NBR: Magic City Classic weekend recap - BamaScorpio69 - 10-27-2014 08:34 AM

Also take into the account the safety of the fans at the game. A 14-year old girl was shot by a 15-year old boy at the game in the tailgating area. Yes this could happen anywhere but the fact this has happened for the 2nd year in row will raise safety issue concerns.

RE: NBR: Magic City Classic weekend recap - Matrix - 10-27-2014 08:34 AM

Turned out to be a damn good ball game. Great comeback by A&M at the end, thought that State would pull it off on that final drive (sorry, "Hornet")...

RE: NBR: Magic City Classic weekend recap - Matrix - 10-27-2014 08:38 AM

(10-27-2014 08:23 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  
(10-27-2014 07:54 AM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  

I understand the crowds aspect and I don't know how much both schools make from the event. All I will say if ASU and AAMU determine they can make more money holding the game on campus instead of Birmigham, it will eventually happen.

But I do believe that ASU and AAMU needs to put pressure on the City of Brimingham to either make some serious upgrades to Legion Field or threaten to take the game elsewhere like Atlanta. The game brings in entirely too much money to Birmingham and yet all the city has to offer is a rundown stadium to play in.

I agree, more than you can possibly realize. Both schools are, however, contractually obligated to play there, I think 4 more years. I don't see this city putting money into "upgrading" Legion Field, it's beyond obsolete, but they don't want to hear that at City Hall. We're supposed to hear something concrete about the MPF in the next month or two, if they don't get that thing built soon, I can't blame State and A&M for moving on to a better venue, perhaps either home and home or the new facility in Atlanta to be constructed while Birmingham continues to talk about building a dome as they have for over 2 decades now.

RE: NBR: Magic City Classic weekend recap - GreenHornet33 - 10-27-2014 08:54 AM

(10-27-2014 08:34 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  Also take into the account the safety of the fans at the game. A 14-year old girl was shot by a 15-year old boy at the game in the tailgating area. Yes this could happen anywhere but the fact this has happened for the 2nd year in row will raise safety issue concerns.

The shooting did not take place in the tailgating area it took place in the neighborhood across from Legion Field. The problem that I see now is that the rift raft has now started to come to the Legion Field area to walk around outside the tailgating area and they're causing all of the problems. You may see Birmingham move to the same system Memphis uses for the Southern Heritage Classic. Up in Memphis the city issues a certain color wrist band for people who purchase tailgating spots and that person then issues them to the members of their tailgating party. If you have no wrist band you have 30 minutes after the game to leave the area. That keeps away the idiots who are up to no good.

Also I agree. The city needs to either do some MAJOR upgrades to Legion Field or build a new venue. Its sad when the official's calls can barely be heard because of an insufficient PA system. Atlanta made a MAJOR push for the Classic a few years back and I think they'll try again once the current contract gets close to the end.

RE: NBR: Magic City Classic weekend recap - GreenHornet33 - 10-27-2014 08:58 AM

Also S/O to UAB for truly supporting Birmingham. UAB had several student groups who set up tents for the classic who were doing voter registration drives and breast cancer awareness info. Also UAB had a tent for health screenings also by some of the hospital's nursing personnel. UAB does so much for this city and its a shame that they don't get recognized for that.

RE: NBR: Magic City Classic weekend recap - BamaScorpio69 - 10-27-2014 09:11 AM

(10-27-2014 08:54 AM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  
(10-27-2014 08:34 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  Also take into the account the safety of the fans at the game. A 14-year old girl was shot by a 15-year old boy at the game in the tailgating area. Yes this could happen anywhere but the fact this has happened for the 2nd year in row will raise safety issue concerns.

The shooting did not take place in the tailgating area it took place in the neighborhood across from Legion Field. The problem that I see now is that the rift raft has now started to come to the Legion Field area to walk around outside the tailgating area and they're causing all of the problems. You may see Birmingham move to the same system Memphis uses for the Southern Heritage Classic. Up in Memphis the city issues a certain color wrist band for people who purchase tailgating spots and that person then issues them to the members of their tailgating party. If you have no wrist band you have 30 minutes after the game to leave the area. That keeps away the idiots who are up to no good.

Also I agree. The city needs to either do some MAJOR upgrades to Legion Field or build a new venue. Its sad when the official's calls can barely be heard because of an insufficient PA system. Atlanta made a MAJOR push for the Classic a few years back and I think they'll try again once the current contract gets close to the end.

I meant near the tailgating area. But that supports the claims of the area around Legion Field being unsafe and it paints a black eye on the Classic because it gets associated with that kind of crap unfairly.

The problem with some city officials is that they think "small-minded" and get complacent about events like the Classic never leaving Birmingham. Now I do know some officials does fear losing the event and knows if Atlanta ever got their hands on the Classic, it may would never see the light of day in Birmingham again unless a new facility was built.

RE: NBR: Magic City Classic weekend recap - Big Dee - 10-27-2014 09:12 AM

Who are the top candidates for the job?

RE: NBR: Magic City Classic weekend recap - GreenHornet33 - 10-27-2014 09:26 AM

(10-27-2014 09:12 AM)Big Dee Wrote:  Who are the top candidates for the job?

If the job were to come open the biggest name that floated around last year was Will Hall who was the head coach at UWG but has now taken the job at West Georgia. Henry Frazier II and Coach Ruffini from Miles would also get a look too.

RE: NBR: Magic City Classic weekend recap - GreenHornet33 - 10-27-2014 09:37 AM

http://sharpy.smugmug.com/Sports/2014/Magic-City-Classic/

These are the pics guys. Enjoy

RE: NBR: Magic City Classic weekend recap - rook360 - 10-31-2014 07:11 AM

(10-27-2014 07:25 AM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  

That seat is way past hot now. For the last 4 years we've had one of the most talented rosters not only in the SWAC but in all of FCS but we have 0 championships. We're definitely getting restless and Saturday may have sealed his fate.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/alabama-state/2014/10/30/asu-rewards-reggie-barlow-new-contract/18202125/

Guess that hot seat ain't as hot as we thougt

RE: NBR: Magic City Classic weekend recap - GreenHornet33 - 10-31-2014 09:19 AM

(10-31-2014 07:11 AM)rook360 Wrote:  
(10-27-2014 07:25 AM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/alabama-state/2014/10/30/asu-rewards-reggie-barlow-new-contract/18202125/

Guess that hot seat ain't as hot as we thougt

Nope. Not at all.

RE: NBR: Magic City Classic weekend recap - bladhmadh - 11-01-2014 05:39 AM

Looks like Jackson state pulled a southern miss who fired bower a year after making it to the championship game and coming up short. Jus is 1-4 in swac play right now

RE: NBR: Magic City Classic weekend recap - GreenHornet33 - 11-01-2014 08:53 AM

(11-01-2014 05:39 AM)bladhmadh Wrote:  Looks like Jackson state pulled a southern miss who fired bower a year after making it to the championship game and coming up short. Jus is 1-4 in swac play right now

Jackson State pulled something far worse than what Southern Miss did, they pulled a Jackson State. Jackson State pulled this same stunt in 2001 where they fired a successful Robert Hughes and hired James Bell who was a struggling high school coach who was a good friend of the athletic director. JSU went through their worst 4 year span in school history. After that Rick Comegy was hired and put JSU back at the top of the SWAC standings and made them a consistent winner again. JSUs president Carolyn Meyers did not like Rick Comegy due to Comegy leaving Norfolk State high and dry while she was the president there. Comegy initially accepted the coaching position at Norfolk State but then decided after the press conference that we wanted to remain at Tuskegee. With that history Meyers was not a fan of Comegy. Once JSU lost the SWAC championship game in December Meyers and controversial A.D Vivian Fuller decided over drinks to fire Comegy. Then they decided to hire 70-year old JSU alum and NFL great Harold Jackson who had not been a head coach in 18-years and had a 6-28 record as a head coach. Fans have started to boycott JSU games and start petitions to not only fire Jackson but Fuller as well. JSU recently lost to Mississippi Valley State for the first time in 20-years and Rick Comegy was on the sidelines leading the Delta Devils to that win.

RE: NBR: Magic City Classic weekend recap - cb4029 - 11-01-2014 11:11 AM

All Comegy does is win. Kinda like Clark, except he has a longer track record of winning on the college level. Give him a few years, and he will be back to his old ways of beating up on Bama St. yearly too. 05-stirthepot