CSNbbs
For what it's worth... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: Towson (/forum-689.html)
+----- Thread: For what it's worth... (/thread-709727.html)

For what it's worth... - Cartboosh - 10-26-2014 07:18 PM

I know it's water way over the dam but couldn't help but make a comparison. Just watched UNC-Charlotte take JMU to the wire and come up short 48-40. This is a second year program playing as an FCS independent. They have a roster made up of true and redshirt freshmen most of whom are recruiting afterthoughts. They've lost seven starters to injuries in the past few weeks. They go down 21-0 in the first quarter and loose starting QB in the second quarter. Coach Brad Lambert and staff make HALF TIME ADJUSTMENTS and come out and hang forty on the Dukes (backup freshman Qb never been in a game) with guys who were playing HS varsity last year. It was most impressive (and yet depressing at the same time). Announcers mention several times how JMU blew away Towson two weeks ago as a testament to how tough Charlotte was playing.

RE: For what it's worth... - mat1992 - 10-26-2014 08:16 PM

(10-26-2014 07:18 PM)Cartboosh Wrote:  I know it's water way over the dam but couldn't help but make a comparison. Just watched UNC-Charlotte take JMU to the wire and come up short 48-40. This is a second year program playing as an FCS independent. They have a roster made up of true and redshirt freshmen most of whom are recruiting afterthoughts. They've lost seven starters to injuries in the past few weeks. They go down 21-0 in the first quarter and loose starting QB in the second quarter. Coach Brad Lambert and staff make HALF TIME ADJUSTMENTS and come out and hang forty on the Dukes (backup freshman Qb never been in a game) with guys who were playing HS varsity last year. It was most impressive (and yet depressing at the same time). Announcers mention several times how JMU blew away Towson two weeks ago as a testament to how tough Charlotte was playing.

How is that depressing? Everything about this year goes back to replacing five seniors on the offensive line and how inexperience, injuries and lack of talent have hampered the entire offense. It hampered everything. We couldn't put a statue back at quarterback and had to use a mobile like Connor, who really is a better receiver.

Maybe Charlotte has an O-line that jells together. I really don't get the connotation that this coaching staff doesn't make second half adjustments. Seems like we've forgotten the last three years. Kudos to Charlotte for whatever reason. Now we're we ready to play against Central Connecticut to start the season? No way and I think, even though we were a total work-in-progress, we didn't respect the opposition and that's mostly on the staff.

RE: For what it's worth... - Cartboosh - 10-27-2014 08:04 AM

(10-26-2014 08:16 PM)mat1992 Wrote:  
(10-26-2014 07:18 PM)Cartboosh Wrote:  I know it's water way over the dam but couldn't help but make a comparison. Just watched UNC-Charlotte take JMU to the wire and come up short 48-40. This is a second year program playing as an FCS independent. They have a roster made up of true and redshirt freshmen most of whom are recruiting afterthoughts. They've lost seven starters to injuries in the past few weeks. They go down 21-0 in the first quarter and loose starting QB in the second quarter. Coach Brad Lambert and staff make HALF TIME ADJUSTMENTS and come out and hang forty on the Dukes (backup freshman Qb never been in a game) with guys who were playing HS varsity last year. It was most impressive (and yet depressing at the same time). Announcers mention several times how JMU blew away Towson two weeks ago as a testament to how tough Charlotte was playing.

How is that depressing? Everything about this year goes back to replacing five seniors on the offensive line and how inexperience, injuries and lack of talent have hampered the entire offense. It hampered everything. We couldn't put a statue back at quarterback and had to use a mobile like Connor, who really is a better receiver.

Maybe Charlotte has an O-line that jells together. I really don't get the connotation that this coaching staff doesn't make second half adjustments. Seems like we've forgotten the last three years. Kudos to Charlotte for whatever reason. Now we're we ready to play against Central Connecticut to start the season? No way and I think, even though we were a total work-in-progress, we didn't respect the opposition and that's mostly on the staff.

I know there are many variables. I wasn't trying to make a huge statement. It was a "why couldn't we have done this" moment. Inexperience, injuries and lack of talent were the common denominators. They figured out a way to stop the bleeding and hit them in the mouth on both sides of the ball (40pts!).

RE: For what it's worth... - mat1992 - 10-27-2014 07:17 PM

(10-27-2014 08:04 AM)Cartboosh Wrote:  
(10-26-2014 08:16 PM)mat1992 Wrote:  

I know there are many variables. I wasn't trying to make a huge statement. It was a "why couldn't we have done this" moment. Inexperience, injuries and lack of talent were the common denominators. They figured out a way to stop the bleeding and hit them in the mouth on both sides of the ball (40pts!).

There's no way we could score 40 points this year in one game. Maybe I'm wrong and they put things together against Elon. Good for Charlotte that they scored 40 points. They still lost. I'd rather score 24 and win.

RE: For what it's worth... - El Tigre Oro - 10-28-2014 11:21 AM

Isn't Charlotte transitioning to FBS and C-USA? While young, I'd think they are recruiting FBS caliber players?