CSNbbs
Charlotte fans - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Charlotte fans (/thread-709628.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Charlotte fans - Hart Foundation - 10-25-2014 11:32 PM

I thought it was a nice environment. 2 things were unique.

1 - one charlotte fan walked the stadium all game and his shtick was to sceam uh-huh after every statement. He was successful getting anyone within earshot to echo his "uh-huh" catch phrase about 1000 times during the game. He had a bevy of signs and they all spelled "uh-huh" in case the fans needed some help.
Weird. Uh-huh.

2- this was a good weekend for my wife to vacation at the beach. I've never seen so many lovely ladies wearing boots and jean shorts. I think I need to move to Charlotte so I can further evaluate the talent. Is the dirty cowgirl theme a 49er coed mandate?
Dirty cowgirl. Uh-huh

Charlotte fans - Potomac - 10-26-2014 07:12 AM

I agree on both. The guy heckling 130 was the uh-huh guy. Heckle if you're winning, not if you're being controlled throughout.
Scoreboard was all that needed to be said.

I also noticed the abundance of pleasant views, from both schools. I don't know if uncc had a reputation but I was surprised. Many of them were leaving me thinking, "it's a shame you're a charlotte fan".

RE: Charlotte fans - BSKB 24 - 10-26-2014 07:25 AM

(10-25-2014 11:32 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  I thought it was a nice environment. 2 things were unique.

1 - one charlotte fan walked the stadium all game and his shtick was to sceam uh-huh after every statement. He was successful getting anyone within earshot to echo his "uh-huh" catch phrase about 1000 times during the game. He had a bevy of signs and they all spelled "uh-huh" in case the fans needed some help.
Weird. Uh-huh.

2- this was a good weekend for my wife to vacation at the beach. I've never seen so many lovely ladies wearing boots and jean shorts. I think I need to move to Charlotte so I can further evaluate the talent. Is the dirty cowgirl theme a 49er coed mandate?
Dirty cowgirl. Uh-huh

She obviously doesn't read these boards!

Re: Charlotte fans - Hart Foundation - 10-26-2014 08:10 AM

BTW, the guy was just a good ol' country boy who liked to say uh-huh. It was pretty funny initially, but after the 100th time it was grating.
I didn't sit down the whole game because the low angle stands were worse than our convo so I walked the concourse and stayed near the line of scrimmage. Guess what? Mr. Uh-huh also walked the concourse and stayed near the line of scrimmage.

The only solace would be when a pack of dirty cowgirls would pass by and echo his uh-huh. I've never been so distracted at a football game...some good, some bad. Not bad meaning bad, but bad meaning good. (Credit Run DMC)

RE: Charlotte fans - wh49er - 10-26-2014 08:23 AM

Sorry you guys had to deal with Uh-Huh, the guy is unbearable. Despite his annoying demeanor, the guy shows up at every 49er sporting event he can get to home or away. I have to give him some credit for that.

Glad you enjoyed the scenery that was just a small sample. It's too bad they show at the beginning of the 2nd quarter and leave at halftime. Our students lack of commitment doesn't reflect on our program very well. Props to the JMU fans for showing, you guys are the first team we've had visit that brought a respectable amount of fans.

RE: Charlotte fans - 49erlew - 10-26-2014 08:31 AM

Uh-Huh.

Ugh.

Nuh-Uh.

Y'all can have him.

Charlotte fans - JMUDukeDawg - 10-26-2014 08:32 AM

We really enjoyed our visit. Nice campus, great stadium. Really liked all the open air areas and concourse. Hope they find a way to keep some of that when/if they expand.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: Charlotte fans - 49erlew - 10-26-2014 08:40 AM

(10-26-2014 08:32 AM)JMUDukeDawg Wrote:  We really enjoyed our visit. Nice campus, great stadium. Really liked all the open air areas and concourse. Hope they find a way to keep some of that when/if they expand.

The concourse is that wide because the stadium was designed to be expandable to 40,000 without removing or replacing any existing structures. Once we do expand some of the openness of the concourse will be lost, but I think it should still be plenty wide.

That being said, there are no plans for additional end zone seats in the foreseeable future. The stadium was designed at an odd axis (compared to most stadiums) to prevent a built-up stadium from blocking the view of main campus from the CRI campus (the large buildings behind the end zone of the stadium).

RE: Charlotte fans - DoubleDDuke - 10-26-2014 09:16 AM

(10-26-2014 08:40 AM)49erlew Wrote:  
(10-26-2014 08:32 AM)JMUDukeDawg Wrote:  We really enjoyed our visit. Nice campus, great stadium. Really liked all the open air areas and concourse. Hope they find a way to keep some of that when/if they expand.

The concourse is that wide because the stadium was designed to be expandable to 40,000 without removing or replacing any existing structures. Once we do expand some of the openness of the concourse will be lost, but I think it should still be plenty wide.

That being said, there are no plans for additional end zone seats in the foreseeable future. The stadium was designed at an odd axis (compared to most stadiums) to prevent a built-up stadium from blocking the view of main campus from the CRI campus (the large buildings behind the end zone of the stadium).

I think that's actually good planning because the buildings visible behind the end zones are really aesthetically pleasing so you don't want to block their view unless you just blow up and have to. At JMU, our building in the end zone kind of blocks out what is the ugliest portion of our campus IMO (which sucks because the buildings are in awesome surroundings by a lake). I think that's going to change in the coming years as we'll be tearing down at least one of those buildings and building a new college of business building but it'll take some time. Other than the current business building (Showker), they're all old and past their time and frankly look like S.

RE: Charlotte fans - jmuroadwarrior - 10-26-2014 09:16 AM

I loved the stadium and how the footprint is laid out for expansion. Echo the plan to keep the end zone open and not block the view of the buildings. The overall brick architectural look of the campus is very nice and should be displayed to the football crowd. I liked everything about Charlotte and can easily root for them especially next week against Coastal.

I had an aisle seat and my game view was often blocked by some eye candy stunners so I had no complaints, save for that gal in the form fitting green dress would have looked even better in purple.

(10-26-2014 08:40 AM)49erlew Wrote:  

RE: Charlotte fans - Niner National - 10-26-2014 09:55 AM

Your fans represented well. Probably the best / biggest visiting crowd we have had.

It was a fun game with beautiful weather. I just wish our students agreed. Girls in front of me were complaining about being hot and bored. They left and took a row and a half of people with them. If that game was boring, then there is no hope for them.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game after we scored the first TD. At first I thought it was going to be a rout, but we made it exciting.

Glad you guys seemed to enjoy your visit. Sorry again for uh huh. He's the worst.

Charlotte fans - CaryNCDuke - 10-26-2014 10:59 AM

I wanted to wait a bit for perspective long term of the game. Surprisingly Charlotte has a surprisingly gorgeous campus. Traffic flow is a little concern with the roundabouts and stop light mix but overall reminded me a lot of Roanoke College in feel (at least the parts I saw). The Tailgate beforehand was interesting and allowed quite a bit of interaction with alums and donors. they all seemed like great folks.

Echo the sentiment on the cowgirl boots throughout the place. I'm surprised of the dance team name as it just seems way too close to Golddiggers. The students were for the most part friendly-a few drunks here and there but no real issues. A little education would help on opponents.

I disliked the uh-huh guy but honestly it seemed the only grass rooted item so far. Third downs were perfect for October with the jump scare factor. The post game festivities were amazing as well. I'm sure if the first years of streamers had hit the wrong person in the head it would have ended before it started.

I would like to see the games continue at some point as they have potential as a fan base to provide a quality game where fans are jointly engaged in the game.

Overall I would rate the fan base a 7 probably for a fledgling program where student turnout fairs similar to ours. The interest is there and will grow just have to find some traditions of their own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RE: Charlotte fans - DoubleDDuke - 10-26-2014 11:03 AM

I thought it was an OK crowd from TV. Why was that one corner completely empty?

RE: Charlotte fans - Artifice - 10-26-2014 11:32 AM

(10-26-2014 08:10 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  I didn't sit down the whole game because the low angle stands were worse than our convo so I walked the concourse and stayed near the line of scrimmage.

The downside of the wide concourse with those great sightlines is it encourages fans to not stay in their seats. As Panthers owner Jerry Richardson (stadium is named after him) told the AD, "I believe if the people walking around would sit in their seats, you'd have a full house". Usually, that leaves gaps in the corners (GA seats), which doesn't look good on TV. The pep band will probably be placed over there, which should help.

I've been to many colleges in the south, and Charlotte's eye candy stacks up very well.

As for the uh-huh guy? 03-puke

He doesn't limit himself to just 49er events: http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140620&content_id=80621756&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

The worst is "trouble in turn 4". 03-banghead

RE: Charlotte fans - wh49er - 10-26-2014 11:34 AM

(10-26-2014 11:03 AM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  I thought it was an OK crowd from TV. Why was that one corner completely empty?

That corner over to where the JMU fans were is reserved for students (7500 seats). If they don't show they go unused. Our AD just needs to reduce the allotment and sell to the public. Also part of the problem, a lot of students that show up late just walk around or stand up on concourse versus sitting over that way.

RE: Charlotte fans - 49RFootballNow - 10-26-2014 11:35 AM

(10-26-2014 11:03 AM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  I thought it was an OK crowd from TV. Why was that one corner completely empty?

It's the end of the student section. Our students seem to actually enjoy sardine packing and all try to get into the sections right behind the visiting team. Our students get 7000 seats reserved for them because they are paying the largest share for football, but we'd be OK with reserving 4000 seats for them and trying to sell the rest.

Most games, like yesterday, that bowl end does get at least half-full during the second quarter, then all the students head back to drinking after halftime.

RE: Charlotte fans - Artifice - 10-26-2014 11:37 AM

The camera is aimed at the student side, which also takes a full onslaught from the sun for 4 hours for a noon game. The alumni side gets some relief, and stays full. A few fans have discussed moving the broadcast location to the other side of the stadium.

RE: Charlotte fans - Tintin - 10-26-2014 12:27 PM

As a Charlotte alum, I apologize for uh huh guy. He is easily the worst thing about attending a game. His act is so stale.

As for the stadium, one if the good things about being a young school is having a bit more control of the campus planning. No 150 year old buildings sitting in the middle of orime real estate. They've done a good job of incorporating the stadium into the campus. They've also made entrance and egress a breeze as well.

I enjoyed the JMU folks I met and I hope we do this again in the future.

RE: Charlotte fans - DoubleDDuke - 10-26-2014 01:01 PM

(10-26-2014 11:35 AM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  

It's the end of the student section. Our students seem to actually enjoy sardine packing and all try to get into the sections right behind the visiting team. Our students get 7000 seats reserved for them because they are paying the largest share for football, but we'd be OK with reserving 4000 seats for them and trying to sell the rest.

Most games, like yesterday, that bowl end does get at least half-full during the second quarter, then all the students head back to drinking after halftime.

Student attendance is an issue for us too and is across the country. Michigan had to cut their student prices significantly just this last week because they weren't showing up. Granted, Michigan isn't very good right now but it's Michigan and they can't get students to show up.

RE: Charlotte fans - Niner National - 10-26-2014 01:12 PM

All student seating is general admission, so on the sidelines, we have students sitting 25-30 per row, even though each row is only supposed to be 22 seats. Students cram into those sections because they're better seats than the corner.

Since we don't sell those seats to the general public and the students seem to refuse to sit in them, we're left with a terrible looking empty corner.

Our students get too many seats. I'd like to see us cut their allotment of tickets to 4,000-4,500 next season and sell all the seats up to that corner as season tickets.