CSNbbs
Another really good hoops commit for the Owls - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Another really good hoops commit for the Owls (/thread-709483.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Another really good hoops commit for the Owls - Mademen - 10-24-2014 09:09 PM

Marquez Letcher Ellis committed to the Owls tonight over OU , UH, and VCU among other schools. He's a really good SF who started his HS playing career at Yates but ended up at Monteverde Academy one of the top programs in Florida. This is a really good player for you guys. I think your new head coach will have you on top of CUSA in 3 years time. He really knows how to build and recruit the right way.

RE: Another really good hoops commit for the Owls - Tiki Owl - 10-24-2014 09:35 PM

Great news...thanks for the heads up.

RE: Another really good hoops commit for the Owls - Fort Bend Owl - 10-24-2014 09:47 PM

Awesome news! Top 20 player in the state of Florida, a top 40 recruit nationally as his position and a top 200 player nationally. And he had a lot of solid D1 offers.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the new season brings. I know we're still a year or two away from significant improvement but I bet you we improve more this year than most people expect.

RE: Another really good hoops commit for the Owls - waltgreenberg - 10-24-2014 09:52 PM

(10-24-2014 09:47 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Awesome news! Top 20 player in the state of Florida, a top 40 recruit nationally as his position and a top 200 player nationally. And he had a lot of solid D1 offers.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the new season brings. I know we're still a year or two away from significant improvement but I bet you we improve more this year than most people expect.

Agreed. Just think what a shot in the arm it would be for the entire team if we showed our support with a near sellout for the Opener on Saturday of Homecoming Week.

RE: Another really good hoops commit for the Owls - ExcitedOwl18 - 10-24-2014 09:53 PM

These are our current Hoop Commits for the Class of 2015 according to 247Sports:

Connor Cashaw, 6'5" SG from Lincolnshire, IL
Other Notable Offers: Temple, Toledo, Boston College, Penn, Lehigh

Marcus Evans, 6'2" PG from Virginia Beach, VA
Other Notable Offers: High Point, Norfolk St, Citadel, Hampton

Marquez Letcher-Ellis, 6'7" SF from Montverde, FL (Rated #35 SF in the Nation)
Other Notable Offers: Auburn, Clemson, DePaul, USC, UNLV

Our class is currently #2 in C-USA and #62 in the nation.

RE: Another really good hoops commit for the Owls - 07owl - 10-24-2014 10:01 PM

Very impressive

RE: Another really good hoops commit for the Owls - Tiki Owl - 10-24-2014 10:11 PM

(10-24-2014 09:53 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  These are our current Hoop Commits for the Class of 2015 according to 247Sports:

Could you provide the link to the school rankings.

RE: Another really good hoops commit for the Owls - ExcitedOwl18 - 10-24-2014 10:26 PM

(10-24-2014 10:11 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  
(10-24-2014 09:53 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  These are our current Hoop Commits for the Class of 2015 according to 247Sports:

Could you provide the link to the school rankings.
http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings ... UTEP is ahead of us at #49

RE: Another really good hoops commit for the Owls - bobreinhold1 - 10-24-2014 11:59 PM

Scouting notes from FUTURE 150--Houston Camp, Aug. 16-17, MVP of camp, top 100 prospect, did whatever he wanted to. Explosive, tremendous gains in overall game, now one of the premier small forwards in the country.

Shooting and dribbling--average
Passing and rebounding--good
Intangibles--Excellent

Also a top student.

RE: Another really good hoops commit for the Owls - Hambone10 - 10-25-2014 03:00 PM

Wow

I don't remember seeing words like these about this many recruits in quite some time.

I wouldn't be surprised if we hadn't had a top 100 recruiting class before, at least in quite some time... despite a few real stars

RE: Another really good hoops commit for the Owls - I45owl - 10-26-2014 10:21 AM

Rice lands two commitments in back-to-back days | CollegeBasketballTalk

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/25/rice-lands-commitments-from-four-star-2016-wing-josh-hall-and-2015-forward-marquez-letcher-ellis/ Wrote:On Friday night, Jeff Goodman of ESPN reported that three-star power forward Marquez Letcher-Ellis, of Montverde Academy (Florida) became the third 2015 pledge. The following morning, Genesis Academy (Virginia) shooting guard Josh Hall, who is listed as the No. 67 overall recruit in Class of 2016, according to Rivals, also decided to commit to the Owls.

Letcher-Ellis, the 6-foot-7 forward, joins fellow three-star recruits Connor Cashaw and Marcus Evans. Letcher-Ellis had offers from Clemson, DePaul, USC. He also held an offer and even took an official visit to VCU, a school where Rhoades served as an assistant coach to Shaka Smart for five seasons. During the summer, Letcher-Ellis averaged 9.9 points and 4.5 rebounds in 14 games for DC Premier in the Under Armour Association.

Hall becomes the first member of Rice’s Class of 2016. The 6-foot-6 wing held offers from Cincinnati, Houston, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Nebraska and Oklahoma State.

Another really good hoops commit for the Owls - Buho00 - 10-26-2014 10:26 AM

Wow! Just when I thought it couldn't get any better we get a 2016 commitment from a 4 star, top 75 player. Already Rhodes is proving to be a better recruiter than Braun, and recruiting was one of Braun's strengths, I thought. Rice Rising indeed!

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: Another really good hoops commit for the Owls - I45owl - 10-26-2014 12:51 PM

I am very optimistic, but note Rhodes has yet to win a game at Rice, and has yet to face the modern-day struggle of keeping these guys on campus.

RE: Another really good hoops commit for the Owls - Brookes Owl - 10-26-2014 01:22 PM

(10-26-2014 12:51 PM)Turd in the Punchbowl Owl Wrote:  I am very optimistic, but note Rhodes has yet to win a game at Rice, and has yet to face the modern-day struggle of keeping these guys on campus.

Dude!

RE: Another really good hoops commit for the Owls - I45owl - 10-26-2014 01:47 PM

03-lmfao It's a comment more about how screwed up NCAA basketball is...

RE: Another really good hoops commit for the Owls - Gravy Owl - 10-26-2014 03:06 PM

(10-26-2014 10:26 AM)Buho00 Wrote:  Wow! Just when I thought it couldn't get any better we get a 2016 commitment from a 4 star, top 75 player. Already Rhodes is proving to be a better recruiter than Braun, and recruiting was one of Braun's strengths, I thought. Rice Rising indeed!

I always thought Braun's recruiting prowess was somewhat overblown. He got a handful of prospects who were highly touted, but also brought in a bunch who really weren't.

Ultimately, recruiting is only a means to an end. For Braun, retention was such a severe problem that recruiting became a moot point.

Without having any inside info, I am as optimistic about Rhoades as I possibly could be.

RE: Another really good hoops commit for the Owls - Barney - 10-26-2014 09:34 PM

We haven't even seen a Rhodes team on the court yet, but he's already my hero!
Go dude, go!! 04-rock

RE: Another really good hoops commit for the Owls - Tiki Owl - 10-26-2014 09:39 PM

What's not to like so far? Excellent recruiting, instilling a team identity and work ethic, visiting with the colleges and trying to excite the student body.

RE: Another really good hoops commit for the Owls - I45owl - 10-26-2014 10:02 PM

I was excited when Ken Hatfield was hired. I was pretty excited when Scott Thompson was hired. I was really excited when Wayne Graham was hired. I am just about as excited about Mike Rhodes first season and I'm looking forward to getting it started. It will take some time, and he has to navigate a very dysfunctional NCAA environment at this stage.

RE: Another really good hoops commit for the Owls - Da.Owl - 10-27-2014 05:57 AM

(10-26-2014 09:39 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  What's not to like so far? Excellent recruiting, instilling a team identity and work ethic, visiting with the colleges and trying to excite the student body.

He got me to buy a season ticket without even seeing a practice 04-bow