CSNbbs
Critical time for NIU - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: Critical time for NIU (/thread-708223.html)

Pages: 1 2

Critical time for NIU - oilgasusa - 10-15-2014 12:16 PM

We have had 4 years of great football that got us notoriety around the country. This occurred at a critical time when teams were jumping conferences and the Power 5 was created. The future will be 2 tiers of FBS. The only way we make Tier 1 is a long shot, but we do have a shot. The reality is we need to somehow get in the Big 12. Only way we can do that is we have to keep winning 10 games a year and stay in the limelight. We also have to enlarge and upgrade the stadium big time, and fill the stadium. I would say the odds of doing all this is 10% at best. Otherwise we are right back to a 6 & 6 team in a half ass Tier 2 conference. Hey, but at least we have a chance with the right AD and coach (Carey is not the coach, hope I'm wrong).

RE: Critical time for NIU - RedandBlackAttack - 10-15-2014 12:26 PM

(10-15-2014 12:16 PM)oilgasusa Wrote:  We have had 4 years of great football that got us notoriety around the country. This occurred at a critical time when teams were jumping conferences and the Power 5 was created. The future will be 2 tiers of FBS. The only way we make Tier 1 is a long shot, but we do have a shot. The reality is we need to somehow get in the Big 12. Only way we can do that is we have to keep winning 10 games a year and stay in the limelight. We also have to enlarge and upgrade the stadium big time. I would say the odds of doing all this is 10% at best. Otherwise we are right back to a 6 & 6 team in a half ass Tier 2 conference. Hey, but at least we have a chance with the right AD and coach (Carey is not the coach, hope I'm wrong).

There are no Big 12 chances, sorry to tell ya. The AAC might be accessible and would be a slight upgrade, whether some people believe it or not. There is more credible TV time for football and the basketball is a huge upgrade with multiple NCAA Tourny bids.

Unless we have a 40-45K stadium, the Big 12 will never happen. We can't even fill our 24K stadium as of now!

RE: Critical time for NIU - NIU77 - 10-15-2014 12:30 PM

(10-15-2014 12:26 PM)RedandBlackAttack Wrote:  
(10-15-2014 12:16 PM)oilgasusa Wrote:  We have had 4 years of great football that got us notoriety around the country. This occurred at a critical time when teams were jumping conferences and the Power 5 was created. The future will be 2 tiers of FBS. The only way we make Tier 1 is a long shot, but we do have a shot. The reality is we need to somehow get in the Big 12. Only way we can do that is we have to keep winning 10 games a year and stay in the limelight. We also have to enlarge and upgrade the stadium big time. I would say the odds of doing all this is 10% at best. Otherwise we are right back to a 6 & 6 team in a half ass Tier 2 conference. Hey, but at least we have a chance with the right AD and coach (Carey is not the coach, hope I'm wrong).

There are no Big 12 chances, sorry to tell ya. The AAC might be accessible and would be a slight upgrade, whether some people believe it or not. There is more credible TV time for football and the basketball is a huge upgrade with multiple NCAA Tourny bids.

Unless we have a 40-45K stadium, the Big 12 will never happen. We can't even fill our 24K stadium as of now!
What was our attendance last game?

RE: Critical time for NIU - Dog Fan - 10-15-2014 12:35 PM

Agree that this is a critical time. Every year is critical for a school like NIU. We have entered the national scene, and the only way for a school like us to stay there is to keep winning. We are not a powerhouse school like Alabama or Ohio State. We cannot afford an off year and a slip back to mediocrity. We can't go back to being "just another lowly MAC team". We have to do what it takes to keep winning. If that takes a new coach who can recuit like hell or a coach who can connect with the players and get everything out of them, then so be it.

Everyone who says that Hare is not the one for QB may very well be right. Maddie gives us a temporary fix because he can run, which adds that second dimension to our offensive attack. I really thought that Mac coming back would give us a much-needed spark, but that's not to be. Like the rest of you, all I can do is shake my head and say, "What's next?"

RE: Critical time for NIU - Dog Fan - 10-15-2014 12:35 PM

(10-15-2014 12:30 PM)NIU77 Wrote:  

A bit over 20,100.

RE: Critical time for NIU - BobL - 10-15-2014 12:44 PM

(10-15-2014 12:35 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  Agree that this is a critical time. Every year is critical for a school like NIU. We have entered the national scene, and the only way for a school like us to stay there is to keep winning. We are not a powerhouse school like Alabama or Ohio State. We cannot afford an off year and a slip back to mediocrity. We can't go back to being "just another lowly MAC team". We have to do what it takes to keep winning. If that takes a new coach who can recuit like hell or a coach who can connect with the players and get everything out of them, then so be it.

Everyone who says that Hare is not the one for QB may very well be right. Maddie gives us a temporary fix because he can run, which adds that second dimension to our offensive attack. I really thought that Mac coming back would give us a much-needed spark, but that's not to be. Like the rest of you, all I can do is shake my head and say, "What's next?"

I think NIU can afford one off year...but 2 in row would be difficult. I would consider an off year one in which NIU does not play in a bowl.

RE: Critical time for NIU - klake87 - 10-15-2014 12:50 PM

Remember NIU is a very young team too.

RE: Critical time for NIU - NIU1981 - 10-15-2014 01:04 PM

I was expecting 7- 5 or 8 - 4 from this team as were most of us. We knew it wasn't going to be like the last few years.

RE: Critical time for NIU - NuclearMike - 10-15-2014 01:15 PM

I think that attendance will improve with better quality opponents, which we will be able to either prove or refute in the next few years with all of the home-and-home scheduling that Sean Frazier has accomplished. If we can fill Huskie Stadium and even turn people away due to a lack of seats when we go up against Power 5 and top in-conference opponents there would at least be some proof that a stadium expansion would be beneficial. I agree with the original post that this is a critical time. If we continue on this path of recent mediocrity no conference will consider NIU as a viable entity as it relates to conference expansion. For now we have to stay a mid-major powerhouse to continue to generate interest in NIU, both from a recruiting standpoint as well as football being considered a superior program to most at our level in general. Sure, we had a great four years with two of the nation's best successive quarterbacks (better than anyone expected from a mid-major, for sure) and I didn't expect to see us go undefeated or anything, but I, as a lot of us did, expected better than what I've seen over the past three games. Hopefully this will get sorted out and things will turn around starting with this week's game. Improvement has to start NOW. There is no time to waste if we're going to have a chance to win the MAC.

RE: Critical time for NIU - MaddDawgz02 - 10-15-2014 01:31 PM

Never thought I'd be saying this but TGIABS. Almost basketball season never sounded so sweet

RE: Critical time for NIU - Huskie_Jon - 10-15-2014 03:03 PM

Huskies can not win their way into a big conference, unless it added up to 20K extra fans every week.

A losing team that draws 40k would be more attractive than a winner who draws 20K.

RE: Critical time for NIU - HuskieJohn - 10-15-2014 03:11 PM

(10-15-2014 03:03 PM)Huskie_Jon Wrote:  

Huskies can not win their way into a big conference, unless it added up to 20K extra fans every week.

A losing team that draws 40k would be more attractive than a winner who draws 20K.

Frazier had a full year of real marking to prove that.

Improving the premium seating with indoor club seating would help more for the average attendance than bringing in a BC, Utah or BYU for 1 game every other year. Doing both will be even better...but I am not sure many on here though would be interested in seeing a losing NIU team drawing 30k+ though.

RE: Critical time for NIU - RedandBlackAttack - 10-15-2014 03:16 PM

(10-15-2014 03:11 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

Frazier had a full year of real marking to prove that.

Improving the premium seating with indoor club seating would help more for the average attendance than bringing in a BC, Utah or BYU for 1 game every other year. Doing both will be even better...but I am not sure many on here though would be interested in seeing a losing NIU team drawing 30k+ though.

I'd rather risk losing 4-5 games a year in a bigger conference, in a bigger stadium with more fans, bringing in TONS of more money...than continually dominating the MAC.

But being realistic, this is still a longshot. Frazier can schedule as many big time opponents as he wants to, but until we can prove that we can generate enough revenue and fans, the big conference addition is just a dream.

RE: Critical time for NIU - NuclearMike - 10-15-2014 03:24 PM

But a losing NIU team would NEVER draw 40K. We need to win against better opponents to get the attendance, need the fans to get the stadium upgrades, and then what? Prettiest girl at the dance who doesn't have a date?

RE: Critical time for NIU - toddjnsn - 10-15-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:But a losing NIU team would NEVER draw 40K

The way things have gone the past 4 years, including this of course, NIU won't draw 40k. They'd need big marketing & event dollars, to push, over the course of some years, a visiting fan base + win 8+ games a year. Oh, and of course, have a 45k stadium, which is more money.

Essentially, don't count on it. Shorter steps. Look to be highest-biggest attendance team in the MAC, first. Aim for 25k a game consistently, even for blah ones -- then 30k+ every game. Then do another expansion and aim to move to AAC to get more $$.

RE: Critical time for NIU - NIUfilmmaker - 10-15-2014 04:07 PM

NIU has a great fanbase, we see this with our attendance at Northwestern, The Orange Bowl, etc.. Its tough in Dekalb at times because we only have population to the East, zippo to the west.

We need a 31,000 seat stadium with better suites, and some better home games (they are on the way). Keep winning, take a small jump the the AAC if possible, and then...

RE: Critical time for NIU - Big 12 fan too - 10-15-2014 07:36 PM

(10-15-2014 12:26 PM)RedandBlackAttack Wrote:  There are no Big 12 chances, sorry to tell ya. The AAC might be accessible and would be a slight upgrade, whether some people believe it or not. There is more credible TV time for football and the basketball is a huge upgrade with multiple NCAA Tourny bids.

This is true. NIU has a better chance to at the SEC than the Big 12, but both are closer to 0% than 5%. P5's are looking to decrease their count, not increase. The Big 12 does not have a conference network, so any advantage from the proximity to the Chicago market is marginalized. The SEC is the only conference that has the clout and the correct revenue mechanisms to welfare NIU to a P5 level. As crazy as it sounds, with the amount of social capital the SEC has, such a move would quickly be rationalized as taking Illinois and the Chicago market, the heart of the (old) Big 10. NIU could be Mississippi or Mississippi State.

It is sad, as if today was 10/14/1974 and NIU (of near today's stature) had just completed such a great decade, the raw (and still untapped) fundamentals would absolutely have you bullish on NIU developing into a power conference school. Virginia Tech would be known as the NIU of the east. That development is slowly happening, but unfortunately there is not enough time.

Wins and home attendance matter only indirectly- it is all about whether you will add more revenue to everyone else in the conference. Averaging 40k at home games would not even get NIU a sniff. There are schools in better recruiting grounds with just as much notoriety that already have larger stadiums and average twice as many fans. Not only does NIU fall short in just about everything the Big 12 is looking for, there are several more attractive schools in front of them.

RE: Critical time for NIU - DoubleHuskie84 - 10-15-2014 08:03 PM

(10-15-2014 07:36 PM)Big 12 fan too Wrote:  
(10-15-2014 12:26 PM)RedandBlackAttack Wrote:  There are no Big 12 chances, sorry to tell ya. The AAC might be accessible and would be a slight upgrade, whether some people believe it or not. There is more credible TV time for football and the basketball is a huge upgrade with multiple NCAA Tourny bids.

This is true. NIU has a better chance to at the SEC than the Big 12, but both are closer to 0% than 5%. P5's are looking to decrease their count, not increase. The Big 12 does not have a conference network, so any advantage from the proximity to the Chicago market is marginalized. The SEC is the only conference that has the clout and the correct revenue mechanisms to welfare NIU to a P5 level. As crazy as it sounds, with the amount of social capital the SEC has, such a move would quickly be rationalized as taking Illinois and the Chicago market, the heart of the (old) Big 10. NIU could be Mississippi or Mississippi State.

It is sad, as if today was 10/14/1974 and NIU (of near today's stature) had just completed such a great decade, the raw (and still untapped) fundamentals would absolutely have you bullish on NIU developing into a power conference school. Virginia Tech would be known as the NIU of the east. That development is slowly happening, but unfortunately there is not enough time.

Wins and home attendance matter only indirectly- it is all about whether you will add more revenue to everyone else in the conference. Averaging 40k at home games would not even get NIU a sniff. There are schools in better recruiting grounds with just as much notoriety that already have larger stadiums and average twice as many fans. Not only does NIU fall short in just about everything the Big 12 is looking for, there are several more attractive schools in front of them.

yup.

RE: Critical time for NIU - kflyer - 10-15-2014 09:00 PM

(10-15-2014 12:30 PM)NIU77 Wrote:  

Can't remember the exact number, but just a bit over 20K.

RE: Critical time for NIU - VegasHuskie - 10-16-2014 12:32 AM

The notion to move to a bigger conference is a pipe dream and it is all the fault of the alumni. We are the ones that control the future of the program, and we have wasted the opportunity. When we don't support the success through donations and attendance, we will never be more than a MAC powerhouse. And now, because of poor coaching, we merely are a MAC run of mill team. Coming off the Orange Bowl season, Huskie stadium had to be filled each and every home game. It wasn't. Not even close. Very sad and we are the ones to blame.