CSNbbs
ESPN Conference power ranking - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: ESPN Conference power ranking (/thread-707877.html)

ESPN Conference power ranking - pesik - 10-13-2014 09:33 AM

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/97019/power-rankings-big-12-solidly-second

RE: ESPN Conference power ranking - Insane_Baboon - 10-13-2014 09:38 AM

We improved from last week but we still have a long way to go. I think what's really hurting us is that we have quite a few good programs that are having down years. When South Florida, Tulsa, and UConn are back on their feet the conference should have a lot better perception.

South Florida's already on their way up.

RE: ESPN Conference power ranking - TIGERCITY - 10-13-2014 09:47 AM

Never thought I'd see Mississippi State as the #1 team in the country. Amazing year of football in the state of Mississippi.

RE: ESPN Conference power ranking - oldtiger - 10-13-2014 10:27 AM

(10-13-2014 09:47 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Never thought I'd see Mississippi State as the #1 team in the country. Amazing year of football in the state of Mississippi.

It is amazing. At one time many decades ago, the state had more NFL players per capita than any other state, but that was a looooooong time ago.

I haven't looked it up, but I think that's it's been 50 years since a Mississippi team has been ranked as high as OM has been ranked most of this season. They hovered around #1 - #3 for most of the '59-'63 seasons, but that's ancient history today.

I don't remember MSU ever being ranked #1. We beat a top 10 ranked Bulldog team in the late 60's and I don't remember them being ranked that high since. Jackie Sherrill had some pretty competitive seasons, but nothing like this bunch.

I think that how we're ranked and evaluated is OK, not great, but about as good as we can expect. The big conferences have such an advantage of $, publicity, fan base size, and history; it's going to be so very difficult for our group of programs to compete. It's not a level field that we're playing on and it's going to be a challenge to rank anywhere close to any of those conferences.

RE: ESPN Conference power ranking - Attackcoog - 10-13-2014 10:51 AM

I wonder if the improved recruiting at Miss/Miss St, along with the new additions like S Alabama are weakening the talent pool that S Miss feeds from. That might partially explain their extended struggles.

RE: ESPN Conference power ranking - PiratePanther189 - 10-13-2014 10:54 AM

I tell you what Dan Mullen deserves a statue for where he's brought that Miss State program. He was presented with a dumpster fire and turned it into the #1 team in the land.

Here's to hoping that they both stay top 10 until the last wk of the year and we are presented with an Egg Bowl that can compare to last year's Iron Bowl.

RE: ESPN Conference power ranking - Tigers2B1 - 10-13-2014 11:32 AM

(10-13-2014 10:27 AM)oldtiger Wrote:  
(10-13-2014 09:47 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Never thought I'd see Mississippi State as the #1 team in the country. Amazing year of football in the state of Mississippi.

It is amazing. At one time many decades ago, the state had more NFL players per capita than any other state, but that was a looooooong time ago.

I haven't looked it up, but I think that's it's been 50 years since a Mississippi team has been ranked as high as OM has been ranked most of this season. They hovered around #1 - #3 for most of the '59-'63 seasons, but that's ancient history today.

I don't remember MSU ever being ranked #1. We beat a top 10 ranked Bulldog team in the late 60's and I don't remember them being ranked that high since. Jackie Sherrill had some pretty competitive seasons, but nothing like this bunch.

I think that how we're ranked and evaluated is OK, not great, but about as good as we can expect. The big conferences have such an advantage of $, publicity, fan base size, and history; it's going to be so very difficult for our group of programs to compete. It's not a level field that we're playing on and it's going to be a challenge to rank anywhere close to any of those conferences.

Maybe the Big 12 will take notice of the recruits coming out of this area and tap into it with an invite to Memphis. 03-wink

RE: ESPN Conference power ranking - BlueRaiderBoy - 10-13-2014 12:01 PM

(10-13-2014 11:32 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  
(10-13-2014 10:27 AM)oldtiger Wrote:  

Maybe the Big 12 will take notice of the recruits coming out of this area and tap into it with an invite to Memphis. 03-wink
This could happen! But only if BIG12 gets left out of CFP.

RE: ESPN Conference power ranking - MickMack - 10-13-2014 12:05 PM

(10-13-2014 09:38 AM)Insane_Baboon Wrote:  We improved from last week but we still have a long way to go. I think what's really hurting us is that we have quite a few good programs that are having down years. When South Florida, Tulsa, and UConn are back on their feet the conference should have a lot better perception.

South Florida's already on their way up.

And Cincinnati. The fact that we crapped the bed this year has hurt this conference more than anything else.

RE: ESPN Conference power ranking - HP-TBDPITL - 10-13-2014 12:46 PM

Sun Belt Conference didn't even make the list.