CSNbbs
Nick’s Picks Week #7 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Mid-American Conference Talk (/forum-472.html)
+---- Thread: Nick’s Picks Week #7 (/thread-707219.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Nick’s Picks Week #7 - Nick in Cleveland - 10-08-2014 08:37 PM

Every year there is usually one week that has so many toss up games that I usually tank it and need to remainder of the season to get back to my 80% average. This looks to be that week as I see so many too-close-to-call games. Putting my 48-13 record on the line here we go.

Buffalo 34 – Eastern 13
The Bulls are in need of a feel good game after last weeks one point loss to Bowling Green and Eastern Michigan is the perfect medicine to begin to feel good again as the Eagles average only 11-points per game.

Akron 34 – Miami 31
The RedHawks had a huge come from behind win last week against UMass while the Zips have quietly put together one of the MAC’s better defenses. This to me is one of those too-close-to-call games and I’ll go with the home team in a nail biter.

UMass 30 – Kent State 17
The hard-luck Minutemen have come oh so close four times this year and should get their first win of the season against a depleted Golden Flashes team that has been decimated with injuries and poor offensive execution.

BGSU 27 – Ohio 23
Add this game to my too-close-to-call games as the Bobcats have yet to lose at home while the Falcons have only won once on the road…at UMass. Everything to me is pointing to an Ohio win which is why I am picking the Falcons as they hold a solid 38-25-2 lead in the series including the past two seasons.

Western 28 – Ball State 20
The Broncos seem to be putting it together under this second year coaching staff while this year’s Ball State team seems to be in transition. Still, this is another game that falls within my too-close-to-call games.

Iowa State 33 – Toledo 28
Again, this belongs in the too-close-to-call game category. I’m picking the Cyclones for no other reason than they are due after so many close calls and bad calls that have gone against them. This is a game Toledo can win and don’t be surprised if they do.

NIU 33 – Central 24
Should be a solid game and I expect the Huskies to rebound from their lackluster effort against Kent State.

RE: Nick’s Picks Week #7 - El Grande Flippero - 10-08-2014 10:36 PM

Ohio has yet to lose at home? They played 0-5 Idaho and Eastern Illinois...that isn't much to hang your hat on. Their defense is busted up and they didn't generate much offense against Kent or CMU. BG's defense came up big in the 2nd half against Buffalo and the offense is scary. That winning "drive" against Buffalo covered 80 yards in 45 seconds. If you turned your head for a minute to ponder the shape of the clouds in the sky, you missed it.

BG by at least two scores...

RE: Nick’s Picks Week #7 - axeme - 10-09-2014 06:28 AM

(10-08-2014 10:36 PM)El Grande Flippero Wrote:  Ohio has yet to lose at home? They played 0-5 Idaho and Eastern Illinois...that isn't much to hang your hat on. Their defense is busted up and they didn't generate much offense against Kent or CMU. BG's defense came up big in the 2nd half against Buffalo and the offense is scary. That winning "drive" against Buffalo covered 80 yards in 45 seconds. If you turned your head for a minute to ponder the shape of the clouds in the sky, you missed it.

BG by at least two scores...

Sounds familiar.

Quote:Buffalo is a tough sell...wins against Norfolk State and Duquense don't mean jack...the win against Miami ? Meh. They were getting trucked by a weak Army team until mounting a late comeback that just made it a close loss and Baylor drilled them about as badly as Wisky thumped BG.

I think BG takes this by 2-3 scores.

RE: Nick’s Picks Week #7 - El Grande Flippero - 10-09-2014 06:49 AM

Yes...I think BG is talented enough to beat Buffalo and OU by 14 points...is there a problem with that?

RE: Nick’s Picks Week #7 - axeme - 10-09-2014 08:05 AM

Of course not. It's expected that fans will overestimate how good their teams are.

RE: Nick’s Picks Week #7 - Motown Bronco - 10-09-2014 08:05 AM

Not sure what to expect in the WMU-BSU game either. I feel like this is close to a "must win" for the Broncos to avoid getting into a longer losing streak (and playing @ BGSU looms the following week).

Feeling confident to say that UMass is the best winless team in the country.

Overall, should be an interesting week. I think Buffalo beats EMU by double-digits, but every other game could honestly go either way.

RE: Nick’s Picks Week #7 - Redwingtom - 10-09-2014 08:40 AM

Pretty much agree on all the victors predicted...although if I had to pick one that you're wrong on, I would guess that Ohio will beat BG.

That being said, I don't see Miami, Toledo or Central keeping it that close, since they'll all be on the road.

RE: Nick’s Picks Week #7 - Frozenbaugh - 10-09-2014 09:07 AM

Ball State will have a different QB under center on Saturday. Happy for the change.

RE: Nick’s Picks Week #7 - bobcat_backer - 10-09-2014 09:30 AM

(10-09-2014 08:40 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  Pretty much agree on all the victors predicted...although if I had to pick one that you're wrong on, I would guess that Ohio will beat BG.

That being said, I don't see Miami, Toledo or Central keeping it that close, since they'll all be on the road.

for our sake, I sure hope you're right. we need this win in a big way! it's gonna be tough for us for sure!

RE: Nick’s Picks Week #7 - exCincy Kid1 - 10-09-2014 09:44 AM

At the risk of drawing ire from our good friend BB Backer, I have to agree that BG is likely to win convincingly against OU. We'll see.....can't reallly argue with any of the picks, Nick.

RE: Nick’s Picks Week #7 - Redwingtom - 10-09-2014 09:49 AM

(10-09-2014 09:44 AM)exCincy Kid1 Wrote:  At the risk of drawing ire from our good friend BB Backer, I have to agree that BG is likely to win convincingly against OU. We'll see.....can't reallly argue with any of the picks, Nick.

Have you met our defense yet? 03-wink

RE: Nick’s Picks Week #7 - axeme - 10-09-2014 10:15 AM

(10-09-2014 08:05 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  Feeling confident to say that UMass is the best winless team in the country.

Here's to being able to repeat that statement next week!

04-cheers

RE: Nick’s Picks Week #7 - BarsemaBone2 - 10-09-2014 10:28 AM

NIU-CMU could very well be the closest game of the week. NIU still doesn't have a clear #1 QB right now.

What I'm really interested to see is if NIU's defense can hold back CMU's offense. NIU has the best run defense in the MAC currently and Rawls is one of the better RBs. Also interested to see how our freshmen CBs handle a wideout with Davis' ability.

RE: Nick’s Picks Week #7 - thanksjim - 10-09-2014 10:53 AM

(10-09-2014 10:15 AM)axeme Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 08:05 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  Feeling confident to say that UMass is the best winless team in the country.

Here's to being able to repeat that statement next week!

04-cheers

YES!!

RE: Nick’s Picks Week #7 - bobcat_backer - 10-09-2014 12:53 PM

(10-09-2014 09:49 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 09:44 AM)exCincy Kid1 Wrote:  At the risk of drawing ire from our good friend BB Backer, I have to agree that BG is likely to win convincingly against OU. We'll see.....can't reallly argue with any of the picks, Nick.

LOL exCincyKid1! no, no ire from me. I am fully aware that this game could get ugly for Ohio all too quickly. the statement above from Redwingtom is the only reason I have a faint hope of pulling out a win.

RE: Nick’s Picks Week #7 - El Grande Flippero - 10-09-2014 01:41 PM

(10-09-2014 08:05 AM)axeme Wrote:  Of course not. It's expected that fans will overestimate how good their teams are.
Mmmmm....BG has won the last two meetings against OU by 12 & 49 points. BG has won 12 out of 13 MAC contests (FU Toledo) dating back to the end of 2012, so I don't think predicting a. 10-14pt win by BG is an "overestimation".... especially when you consider OU's offensive struggles and their injuries on defense.

RE: Nick’s Picks Week #7 - El Grande Flippero - 10-09-2014 01:44 PM

Say what you will about our defense, but the past two games have come down to BG needing a defensive stop to win. The defense forced a fumble against UMass and stopped Buffalo cold.... when they've needed to make the stop, they have.

RE: Nick’s Picks Week #7 - Redwingtom - 10-09-2014 03:13 PM

(10-09-2014 01:44 PM)El Grande Flippero Wrote:  

Say what you will about our defense, but the past two games have come down to BG needing a defensive stop to win. The defense forced a fumble against UMass and stopped Buffalo cold.... when they've needed to make the stop, they have.

Understood...but I just don't share your optimism just yet. With all the injuries, youth, and a new system and coaches....

RE: Nick’s Picks Week #7 - RangerRocket - 10-09-2014 03:21 PM

(10-09-2014 01:41 PM)El Grande Flippero Wrote:  (FU Toledo)

You're welcome. Five in a row just around the corner...

RE: Nick’s Picks Week #7 - Redwingtom - 10-09-2014 03:59 PM

(10-09-2014 03:21 PM)RangerRocket Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 01:41 PM)El Grande Flippero Wrote:  (FU Toledo)

You're welcome. Five in a row just around the corner...

Enjoy it....bet you'd trade them all for our title last year though! 03-wink