CSNbbs
was UTSA's season last year a fluke?? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: was UTSA's season last year a fluke?? (/thread-706475.html)

Pages: 1 2

was UTSA's season last year a fluke?? - davi78239 - 10-04-2014 06:46 PM

Wow...

RE: was UTSA's season last year a fluke?? - correcamino - 10-04-2014 06:58 PM

Nah relax bro.

We lost Saint Soza and had a scrub take his place. UTSA might be 4-1 with Soza this season.

Re: was UTSA's season last year a fluke?? - Digi368 - 10-04-2014 07:27 PM

Yeah not a fluke. We earned that season. This team, although predominately the same personal wise, is completely different on the field.

RE: was UTSA's season last year a fluke?? - laxtonto - 10-04-2014 07:36 PM

You are going to see it both with UTSA and UNT this season...

Losing your long time signal caller is tough.. the real problem is that UTSA is losing a ton of players after this season while UNT lost most of theirs with their QB at the end of last season..

Would expect UTSA to be somewhat down again next year and UNT to bounce back (if their young QB situation pans out). That is the beauty of college football and why it is amazing when teams have huge stretches of dominance.

Re: RE: was UTSA's season last year a fluke?? - Digi368 - 10-04-2014 09:20 PM

(10-04-2014 07:36 PM)laxtonto Wrote:  You are going to see it both with UTSA and UNT this season...

Losing your long time signal caller is tough.. the real problem is that UTSA is losing a ton of players after this season while UNT lost most of theirs with their QB at the end of last season..

Would expect UTSA to be somewhat down again next year and UNT to bounce back (if their young QB situation pans out). That is the beauty of college football and why it is amazing when teams have huge stretches of dominance.
We will see but UTSA is losing all of their FCS recruited players this year. The guys behind them are actually more athletic. I actually think we will be pretty good next year with the bigger, faster more talented recruits. Plus true freshman Blake Bogie looks to be the real deal. Hopefully we see him vs FIU next week.

RE: was UTSA's season last year a fluke?? - MagNTX - 10-04-2014 10:04 PM

Yea, I don't think it was a fluke. Soza was good.

RE: was UTSA's season last year a fluke?? - SApuro - 10-05-2014 12:21 AM

We need a win real bad. Saturday can't get here soon enough.

RE: was UTSA's season last year a fluke?? - BamaScorpio69 - 10-05-2014 01:32 AM

UTSA's defense is probably the best in CUSA and one of the best in the country. I saw a stat during the New Mexico that UTSA was like 6th in the country in forcing 3 & outs. Something close to 7 possessions of 3 & outs per game.

RE: was UTSA's season last year a fluke?? - Von-Bek - 10-05-2014 01:37 AM

(10-05-2014 01:32 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  UTSA's defense is probably the best in CUSA and one of the best in the country. I saw a stat during the New Mexico that UTSA was like 6th in the country in forcing 3 & outs. Something close to 7 possessions of 3 & outs per game.

This is what I saw first hand last season against MU. Tough, punishing defense that was off balanced in the first half and shut the Herd down in the 2nd half, and many others after halftime. Of course a good offense is defense's best friend and what I've seen posted here, their offense hasn't done them many favors this season. Great coach, truly impressed w/ them last season, don't see many reasons that they won't get it rolling again.

RE: was UTSA's season last year a fluke?? - Tigermaniac - 10-05-2014 01:58 AM

UTSA is a QB and a few pieces on the O-line from being one of the favorites in not just C-USA but the G-5.

RE: was UTSA's season last year a fluke?? - BamaScorpio69 - 10-05-2014 02:02 AM

(10-05-2014 01:58 AM)Tigermaniac Wrote:  UTSA is a QB and a few pieces on the O-line from being one of the favorites in not just C-USA but the G-5.

Yup.

RE: was UTSA's season last year a fluke?? - MUther - 10-05-2014 03:25 AM

(10-05-2014 01:58 AM)Tigermaniac Wrote:  UTSA is a QB and a few pieces on the O-line from being one of the favorites in not just C-USA but the G-5.

You are way too rational to be a Memphis fan. 04-cheers

RE: was UTSA's season last year a fluke?? - olliebaba - 10-05-2014 05:44 PM

(10-04-2014 10:04 PM)MagNTX Wrote:  Yea, I don't think it was a fluke. Soza was good.

True dat. Soza would've beaten NM all by himself. Just like he did it to us.

At the beginning of the season youse guys were acting like Marshall is now, and I told you that you weren't all that without Soza and no one believed me. Now do you believe?

RE: was UTSA's season last year a fluke?? - Volkmar - 10-05-2014 06:04 PM

Nah, it wasn't a fluke, but it shows how big a difference a QB can make on a team. Really, REALLY disappointed at this point. I had faith in Carter to come through because he has a really strong arm, but he's indecisive and we're all (UTSA fans) clamoring for Blake Bogenschutz to take the helm at QB. He's a true freshman and he'll make mistakes also, but our offense always gets a spark when he's in, and we were moving the ball yesterday against New Mexico in the 2nd half before he was taken out again.

I'd rather us make some mistakes with Bogie and move the ball, than not even move the ball with Carter. He'll learn from his mistakes anyway, and our coaches have raved about what a quick learner he is, so it bothers me that they're unwilling to give him the starting nod. They're being loyal to a senior who has paid his dues by being 2nd to Soza the last two years, but we can't let our season go down the drain out of loyalty to our senior QB and watch our bowl hopes in our first bowl-eligible year wash away.

RE: was UTSA's season last year a fluke?? - olliebaba - 10-05-2014 06:07 PM

I'd stick it out with Bogie only because he still can learn from playing the rest of the schedule. I also saw a difference in Bogie vs. Carter. Stick with Bogie except when you play us, you can start Carter. LOL

RE: was UTSA's season last year a fluke?? - Volkmar - 10-05-2014 06:08 PM

(10-05-2014 06:07 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  I'd stick it out with Bogie only because he still can learn from playing the rest of the schedule. I also saw a difference in Bogie vs. Carter. Stick with Bogie except when you play us, you can start Carter. LOL

Off-topic question, but dude, what happened to you guys against La Tech? UTEP had impressed me so far this season and that was a game I was really keeping my eyes on this week. Was shocked to see it go down like that.

RE: was UTSA's season last year a fluke?? - olliebaba - 10-05-2014 06:12 PM

Like all teams including the same one that (beat is too soft a word) crushed us there's games that the fans and players scratch their heads on. We ask how could an FCS team beat this team. And we ask how could we have lost so badly to this same team. There's no answers but it happens.

If latech is as good as they were against us marshall will s**t their pants.

RE: was UTSA's season last year a fluke?? - MUther - 10-05-2014 10:51 PM

(10-05-2014 06:12 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  Like all teams including the same one that (beat is too soft a word) crushed us there's games that the fans and players scratch their heads on. We ask how could an FCS team beat this team. And we ask how could we have lost so badly to this same team. There's no answers but it happens.

If latech is as good as they were against us marshall will s**t their pants.

No disrespect to LaTech, but how could they not have looked great against the miners? If we play LaTech there will be a little s***ting of pants going both directions.

I'd rather play UTEP though so we could complete your mental breakdown for you and get it over with. BTW, you brought up Marshall. Not us.

RE: was UTSA's season last year a fluke?? - ARandomHerdFan - 10-06-2014 07:29 AM

(10-05-2014 06:12 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  If latech is as good as they were against us marshall will s**t their pants.

Ok.

RE: was UTSA's season last year a fluke?? - Digi368 - 10-06-2014 11:26 AM

UTSA's struggles are also heavily on the coaching staff. There are a million different instances this year but I can name a few:

1. vs FAU after the 2nd turnover, UTSA were 3rd and 1 inside FAU's redzone. They come out with the wildcat instead of just running the ball! UTSA has to kick a FG

2. Bubble screens should be a half step and throw to the outside, UTSA allows the QB to take a 3 step drop, look at WR and throw. They have all been blown up behind the line including 1 int.

3. Vs New Mexico, UTSA decides to kick a FG on 4th and 1 inside the opponents 5 yard line, later they go for it on 4th and 3 instead of kicking the FG?

4. UTSA is notorious for taking out our "hot hand" A player makes a couple of great plays and he is ripped for a sub and you won't see that player back until the next quarter. The mass subs need to stop.

5. UTSA defense is guaranteed to go to a prevent defense if they are leading. They just allow teams to dink and dunk on them until the score. Trust the defense!!!

6. Vs FAU, Jaquez threw a 3rd and long pass that was ruled a catch although the replay clearly showed it touch the ground. UTSA staff needs to call the timeout to give the officials a chance to review. BTW...that would have been a 3 and out but FAU ended up scoring a TD on that drive.

7. If UTSA has a 3rd and 5 situation or longer, they will call a play that only gets 4

8. The offensive line hasn't been coached on how to pick up a simple blitz. If a team does any exotic blitzing, forget it.

9. Our punt returner is calling fair catch inside the 5 yard line instead of just allowing the ball to bounce into the endzone

10. Every snap from the center is low. It's still not corrected.