CSNbbs
Anyone else sick of the Flavor of the Moment? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Anyone else sick of the Flavor of the Moment? (/thread-706466.html)

Pages: 1 2

Anyone else sick of the Flavor of the Moment? - C2__ - 10-04-2014 06:03 PM

Because a team is having a good season (sometimes, just a good start), they suddenly start getting touted to join a better conference? For example, with all due respect to ECU, who has a bigger stadium and fan base than many P5 let alone G5 schools, they instantly got touted for the ACC (and lesser extent) after a couple good wins. Are they not basically the same program as they were last year? Meanwhile, you almost no longer hear about UCF after their slow start.

It's just a little tiring dealing with the instant reaction society.

RE: Anyone else sick of the Flavor of the Moment? - goodknightfl - 10-04-2014 06:05 PM

That is just talking heads and fans. Conf are not looking for the hot thing of the moment.

RE: Anyone else sick of the Flavor of the Moment? - C2__ - 10-04-2014 06:14 PM

Then how do you explain Butler to the Big East? Creighton made sense as program overall despite underachieving some but I said when Butler was in the process of being added that they may never get back to that level again and while "never" is not really the best term, so far it's looking like they are on par to becoming another Seton Hall as opposed to Duke.

RE: Anyone else sick of the Flavor of the Moment? - johnbragg - 10-04-2014 08:20 PM

(10-04-2014 06:14 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Then how do you explain Butler to the Big East? Creighton made sense as program overall despite underachieving some but I said when Butler was in the process of being added that they may never get back to that level again and while "never" is not really the best term, so far it's looking like they are on par to becoming another Seton Hall as opposed to Duke.

2 Final Fours in 2 years, 4 Sweet Sixteens in 10 years is more than just a Flavor of the Moment. A decade equals a resume.

Plus, Indianapolis is a solid market, and Butler as a small private university fits well enough with the Catholic schools of the Big East.

Imagine Butler as Boise with solid academics. They' be in a power conference.

RE: Anyone else sick of the Flavor of the Moment? - C2__ - 10-04-2014 08:36 PM

I was just making an example. The fact is they were a flavor of the moment and a risk. Creighton at least had everything else together except for success on the court at a very high level. Imagine if the Pac-12 (ignoring academics for a moment) had added Boise State because of a solid decade and then be left with what they currently are.

And of course that's still very extreme compared to a team getting a few good wins or getting off to a good start and suddenly being mentioned for all expansion scenarios.

RE: Anyone else sick of the Flavor of the Moment? - The Cutter of Bish - 10-04-2014 09:58 PM

(10-04-2014 06:03 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Because a team is having a good season (sometimes, just a good start), they suddenly start getting touted to join a better conference? For example, with all due respect to ECU, who has a bigger stadium and fan base than many P5 let alone G5 schools, they instantly got touted for the ACC (and lesser extent) after a couple good wins. Are they not basically the same program as they were last year? Meanwhile, you almost no longer hear about UCF after their slow start.

They're a flavor? ECU's been playing good football since the 90's. Even beat one of those fabled Miami teams. Couldn't even get a sniff from the Big East.

I agree with the greater point, and UCF is definitely one of those that would qualify for such a title, but ECU's been a relatively consistent contributor in football for almost 25 years now.

RE: Anyone else sick of the Flavor of the Moment? - C2__ - 10-04-2014 10:10 PM

ECU has been inconsistent. Often times, even their notable years (1999 and 2008 for example) are saddled with multiple losses to above average, at best, teams. I noted that ECU was a solid overall program but they are just merely the latest example of this phenomenon (and if ECU fans think I'm hating on them, they probably should have been in the original incarnation of the Big East).

Anyone else sick of the Flavor of the Moment? - chargeradio - 10-05-2014 12:11 AM

(Human) Nature abhors a vacuum . . .

Anyone else sick of the Flavor of the Moment? - Knightbengal - 10-05-2014 12:56 AM

(10-04-2014 08:36 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  I was just making an example. The fact is they were a flavor of the moment and a risk. Creighton at least had everything else together except for success on the court at a very high level. Imagine if the Pac-12 (ignoring academics for a moment) had added Boise State because of a solid decade and then be left with what they currently are.

And of course that's still very extreme compared to a team getting a few good wins or getting off to a good start and suddenly being mentioned for all expansion scenarios.

Boise would not be on the downslope in performance and attendance if they were in the PAC. It's better for recruiting etc

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

Anyone else sick of the Flavor of the Moment? - Knightbengal - 10-05-2014 01:00 AM

(10-04-2014 09:58 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  
(10-04-2014 06:03 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Because a team is having a good season (sometimes, just a good start), they suddenly start getting touted to join a better conference? For example, with all due respect to ECU, who has a bigger stadium and fan base than many P5 let alone G5 schools, they instantly got touted for the ACC (and lesser extent) after a couple good wins. Are they not basically the same program as they were last year? Meanwhile, you almost no longer hear about UCF after their slow start.

They're a flavor? ECU's been playing good football since the 90's. Even beat one of those fabled Miami teams. Couldn't even get a sniff from the Big East.

I agree with the greater point, and UCF is definitely one of those that would qualify for such a title, but ECU's been a relatively consistent contributor in football for almost 25 years now.

How so? We have been building the program since 1979. How are we the flavor? We won the d2 championship, kept winning titles at the fbs level, and were the youngest team ever to win an fbs bowl. The program has been building slowly over time. We have been talked about for the big east since the second round of defections. Get your facts straight.

RE: Anyone else sick of the Flavor of the Moment? - C2__ - 10-05-2014 06:54 AM

The point I'm making is that as recently as a month ago nobody (except message board posters) we're talking about ECU as an expansion candidate to anywhere and now all of a sudden after a good start, writers in the region are touting them as a strong program that should be in the ACC (and on this board, Big 12). ECU as a program wasn't really any different in August as they are now but suddenly they are the program that should be in a major conference? That's all I'm saying.

RE: Anyone else sick of the Flavor of the Moment? - johnbragg - 10-05-2014 08:25 AM

(10-05-2014 06:54 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  The point I'm making is that as recently as a month ago nobody (except message board posters) we're talking about ECU as an expansion candidate to anywhere and now all of a sudden after a good start, writers in the region are touting them as a strong program that should be in the ACC (and on this board, Big 12). ECU as a program wasn't really any different in August as they are now but suddenly they are the program that should be in a major conference? That's all I'm saying.

I think that's mostly local Carolina writers, not journalists who follow CFB as a whole or follow realignment or sources in AD and president and network and conference offices.

I follow Clay Travis's stuff, and the "ECU to the ACC!" stuff has been more like his clickbait "Dumbest Fan Bases" series than his more serious back-of-the-napkin calculations of how much money the SEC Network was going to make.

I'm not saying Travis' articles on the SEC Network are right, just that he spent a little bit of time on google doing his research there, as opposed to his "dumbest fan bases series" where he just had the equivalent of column-inches to fill and started typing. The "ECU should be in the ACC title game!" articles have been more of the "Let me start typing my thoughts because deadline is in X hours."

RE: Anyone else sick of the Flavor of the Moment? - bullet - 10-05-2014 08:32 AM

(10-04-2014 08:36 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  I was just making an example. The fact is they were a flavor of the moment and a risk. Creighton at least had everything else together except for success on the court at a very high level. Imagine if the Pac-12 (ignoring academics for a moment) had added Boise State because of a solid decade and then be left with what they currently are.

Butler was probably less of a risk than Creighton. They are in the center of the Big East geographically. And they have had solid fan support for a very long time. Creighton was leaving a lot of decades long rivalries.

RE: Anyone else sick of the Flavor of the Moment? - bullet - 10-05-2014 08:34 AM

(10-05-2014 08:25 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(10-05-2014 06:54 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  The point I'm making is that as recently as a month ago nobody (except message board posters) we're talking about ECU as an expansion candidate to anywhere and now all of a sudden after a good start, writers in the region are touting them as a strong program that should be in the ACC (and on this board, Big 12). ECU as a program wasn't really any different in August as they are now but suddenly they are the program that should be in a major conference? That's all I'm saying.

I think that's mostly local Carolina writers, not journalists who follow CFB as a whole or follow realignment or sources in AD and president and network and conference offices.

I follow Clay Travis's stuff, and the "ECU to the ACC!" stuff has been more like his clickbait "Dumbest Fan Bases" series than his more serious back-of-the-napkin calculations of how much money the SEC Network was going to make.

I'm not saying Travis' articles on the SEC Network are right, just that he spent a little bit of time on google doing his research there, as opposed to his "dumbest fan bases series" where he just had the equivalent of column-inches to fill and started typing. The "ECU should be in the ACC title game!" articles have been more of the "Let me start typing my thoughts because deadline is in X hours."

I've yet to see anything Clay Travis writes that doesn't fall into the "dumbest fan bases series." Just because he spent time on a topic doesn't mean it makes any sense. He had the SEC Network making more than the NFL network at one point. That's more ridiculous than ECU to the SEC.

Anyone else sick of the Flavor of the Moment? - Knightbengal - 10-05-2014 08:44 AM

That's because it's a caste system and you are judged by the conf you are currently in. I think this may be playing in to the b12 situation as I couldn't imagine tx allowing folks from cusa directly into it's conf. I think the AAC is the minors and an incubator league for the p5

RE: Anyone else sick of the Flavor of the Moment? - johnbragg - 10-05-2014 09:20 AM

(10-05-2014 08:44 AM)Knightbengal Wrote:  

That's because it's a caste system and you are judged by the conf you are currently in. I think this may be playing in to the b12 situation as I couldn't imagine tx allowing folks from cusa directly into it's conf. I think the AAC is the minors and an incubator league for the p5

It is a caste system, but I don't think AAC vs CUSA matters as much as you think. The PAC took Utah from the MWC, which was on about the same level as CUSA, and the Big 12 took TCU from the MWC, unless you think that the Big East label helped TCU at all.

The most likely candidates to get pulled up (east of I-35, anyway) are all in the AAC, but that's why they're in the AAC in the first place (fanbase, location, history, tradition, etc). If ECU were for some reason (still) not brought in to the Aresco League in the fall of 2012, they'd still be scheduling SC and UNC and VT, and if they win a couple of Access Bowls out of CUSA they're in about the same position as if they win them from the AAC.

The P5-G5 gap is big enough that, from the P5 side of it, the differences between the G5 conferences look small.

ECU is getting talked about by normally-ACC journalists because they're a P5-ish looking program that's hot right now, when the "Coastal Division" (or maybe the ACC as a whole outside of FSU is a wreck.

Anyone else sick of the Flavor of the Moment? - Knightbengal - 10-05-2014 09:31 AM

(10-05-2014 09:20 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(10-05-2014 08:44 AM)Knightbengal Wrote:  

It is a caste system, but I don't think AAC vs CUSA matters as much as you think. The PAC took Utah from the MWC, which was on about the same level as CUSA, and the Big 12 took TCU from the MWC, unless you think that the Big East label helped TCU at all.

The most likely candidates to get pulled up (east of I-35, anyway) are all in the AAC, but that's why they're in the AAC in the first place (fanbase, location, history, tradition, etc). If ECU were for some reason (still) not brought in to the Aresco League in the fall of 2012, they'd still be scheduling SC and UNC and VT, and if they win a couple of Access Bowls out of CUSA they're in about the same position as if they win them from the AAC.

The P5-G5 gap is big enough that, from the P5 side of it, the differences between the G5 conferences look small.

ECU is getting talked about by normally-ACC journalists because they're a P5-ish looking program that's hot right now, when the "Coastal Division" (or maybe the ACC as a whole outside of FSU is a wreck.

At the time that Utah and tcu were pulled I think they were considered by many as a higher league. Utah was a state flagship as well. The b12 needed a winner and filler as it was falling apart. Different situation. The b12 next candidates have to be solid and they have to satisfy tx ego. It does matter. The AAC is still looked at as the beast replacement. The diff is no aq status IMO.

RE: Anyone else sick of the Flavor of the Moment? - Captain Bearcat - 10-05-2014 10:16 AM

(10-04-2014 08:20 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(10-04-2014 06:14 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Then how do you explain Butler to the Big East? Creighton made sense as program overall despite underachieving some but I said when Butler was in the process of being added that they may never get back to that level again and while "never" is not really the best term, so far it's looking like they are on par to becoming another Seton Hall as opposed to Duke.

2 Final Fours in 2 years, 4 Sweet Sixteens in 10 years is more than just a Flavor of the Moment. A decade equals a resume.

Plus, Indianapolis is a solid market, and Butler as a small private university fits well enough with the Catholic schools of the Big East.

Imagine Butler as Boise with solid academics. They' be in a power conference.

I agree with C2. One of my brothers is a Butler grad and one is a Dayton grad. It's clear that Dayton has a much stronger overall "program" than Butler. Larger fanbase, better attendance, more money, much bigger student body. Butler's in a bigger city, but it shares the city with the Colts and Pacers whereas UD is the only game in town (other than single-a baseball). Butler's only advantages over Dayton are a more historic arena and the good fortune to hire Brad Stevens.

RE: Anyone else sick of the Flavor of the Moment? - BoiseStateOfMind - 10-05-2014 10:27 AM

It works the other way around too. We have a couple down years because the inept former staff failed miserably in recruiting and player development and everyone starts writing the obituary for our program.

RE: Anyone else sick of the Flavor of the Moment? - MJG - 10-05-2014 11:52 AM

Last year the recently promoted P5 schools were in over their heads. WVU, TCU and Utah are having nice seasons.
WVU was relegated to also ran status because of a rough stretch. The fans of a school having a nice run can be ridiculous. Louisiana fans (not all) were talking Big 12 invite before the season started. One fan had worst case 8-4 SBC champs at the bottom of every post.

I would think ECU would have a better shot at the SEC than ACC. The weakness of the ACC is too many NC teams it's not Texas.