CSNbbs
Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference (/thread-705850.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference - HerdZoned - 09-30-2014 02:54 PM

Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference

Captains This Week: WR Tommy Shuler, C Chris Jasperse, DL James Rouse, DB Darryl Roberts

Marshall coaches elects new captains each week based on game and practice performances.

RE: Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference - The Flagship - 09-30-2014 04:06 PM

Wow. I don't know if the bye week allowed him extra time to scout but I have never seen a coach that knows us as well as he does prior to a game. I don't think he made a single mistake with a name or with our team strengths.

RE: Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference - WEARE - 09-30-2014 04:15 PM

(09-30-2014 04:06 PM)The Flagship Wrote:  Wow. I don't know if the bye week allowed him extra time to scout but I have never seen a coach that knows us as well as he does prior to a game. I don't think he made a single mistake with a name or with our team strengths.

Generally, our staff stays on top of our opponents. I have seen incredible knowledge of almost every team we have played from Holliday in his pressers. If there is recent film on it, they have watched it.

RE: Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference - The Flagship - 09-30-2014 04:25 PM

(09-30-2014 04:15 PM)WEARE Wrote:  
(09-30-2014 04:06 PM)The Flagship Wrote:  Wow. I don't know if the bye week allowed him extra time to scout but I have never seen a coach that knows us as well as he does prior to a game. I don't think he made a single mistake with a name or with our team strengths.

Generally, our staff stays on top of our opponents. I have seen incredible knowledge of almost every team we have played from Holliday in his pressers. If there is recent film on it, they have watched it.

I'm sure all staffs watch film but a lot of times the head coach may not know as much about the opponent's personnel than the Defensive Coordinator, for example. But he nailed everything. I'm sure the extra week helped but I was impressed anyway.

RE: Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference - GO_MONARKS - 09-30-2014 07:34 PM

Thanks HZ. Interesting...

RE: Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference - HerdZoned - 10-01-2014 12:03 AM

Our staff is very game oriented. Doc's first rule is: The most prepared team on the field wins the game. And for Doc it doesn't mean preparation starts on Monday or even Sunday, Doc's wheels start turning the min the clock hits 00:00.

Being prepared means knowing who your opposition is.

This is one of the smartest and hard working staffs that Ive ever seen, from DC Chuck Heater to LB coach Adam Fuller. Everyone usually has that one coach that seems to be there just for the paycheck, that's not true on this current staff. They all love to coach and watch the young kids mature on and off the field.

RE: Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference - goherd24herdfans - 10-01-2014 02:04 AM

(10-01-2014 12:03 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  

Our staff is very game oriented. Doc's first rule is: The most prepared team on the field wins the game. And for Doc it doesn't mean preparation starts on Monday or even Sunday, Doc's wheels start turning the min the clock hits 00:00.

Being prepared means knowing who your opposition is.

This is one of the smartest and hard working staffs that Ive ever seen, from DC Chuck Heater to LB coach Adam Fuller. Everyone usually has that one coach that seems to be there just for the paycheck, that's not true on this current staff. They all love to coach and watch the young kids mature on and off the field.

He is great at coach speak. Vince Lombardi, he is not. Come on now. Doc has been out coached plenty in his 5 year career as HC. But i will say that he does always seem knowledgable in the pressers

RE: Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference - WEARE - 10-01-2014 06:36 AM

(09-30-2014 04:25 PM)The Flagship Wrote:  
(09-30-2014 04:15 PM)WEARE Wrote:  

I'm sure all staffs watch film but a lot of times the head coach may not know as much about the opponent's personnel than the Defensive Coordinator, for example. But he nailed everything. I'm sure the extra week helped but I was impressed anyway.

Doc is one of the best recruiters in the country. While he is still growing into the head coaching role, I think knowledge of players and their skill set is his greatest strength. Every coach draws from his background, and I think his years as a recruiter makes him approach games in the head coaching position in a different way. He is going to have prepared and know your personnel extremely well. He seems to have this knowledge with every team--win or lose. Although he may not make the best game day decisions, it will not be from lack of understanding of your team's talent and ability.

RE: Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference - BigBlue23 - 10-01-2014 07:39 AM

I can't believe Marshall is not number one in the polls. According to marshall, they have the best coach in America. The best recruiter in America. The best players in America. The best toilet paper in America. And to top it off, they are the best square dancers in America.

Give me a break. One of the best recruiters in the country? Please....

I wont argue that he is well prepared. I won't argue that Marshall is a far superior team than us (right now).

But fan is is short for fanatic and I think fans use some poor choice of words sometimes. One of the best recruiters in the country? WOW

RE: Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference - ODUBB35 - 10-01-2014 07:49 AM

(10-01-2014 07:39 AM)BigBlue23 Wrote:  And to top it off, they are the best square dancers in America.

And your objection is... ? 05-stirthepot

RE: Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference - WEARE - 10-01-2014 07:52 AM

(10-01-2014 07:39 AM)BigBlue23 Wrote:  I can't believe Marshall is not number one in the polls. According to marshall, they have the best coach in America. The best recruiter in America. The best players in America. The best toilet paper in America. And to top it off, they are the best square dancers in America.

I wont argue that he is well prepared. I won't argue that Marshall is a far superior team than us (right now).

But fan is is short for fanatic and I think fans use some poor choice of words sometimes. One of the best recruiters in the country? WOW

I never said he was the best coach in the country, but there are many articles about his recruiting ability.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/college-football/marshall-coach-famed-for-recruiting-s-florida-play/nbJkT/

http://www.theintelligencer.net/page/content.detail/id/504515/102-year-old-takes-ride-at-Indianapolis-Speedway.html?nav=541

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/15922/holliday-brings-recruiting-expertise-to-marshall

Quote from ESPN:

"With his experience, Holliday is widely considered one of the best recruiters in the country."

If you think schools like Florida, NC State, and WVU hire head recruiters that aren't really good, give me a break. Recruiting doesn't translate necessarily into coaching wins;however, Holliday is a top recruiter--fan or not. Google it, and I think you will see he was a top recruiter way before he ever had anything to do with Marshall.

RE: Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference - djnva - 10-01-2014 07:58 AM

(09-30-2014 04:15 PM)WEARE Wrote:  If there is recent film on it, they have watched it.

That's probably listed right after "JOB DESCRIPTION".

RE: Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference - ODUR8R - 10-01-2014 08:05 AM

I would make an argument that not every coach takes ODU as seriously as others. David Bailiff gave off an impression that he was not prepared for ODU in his press conference and it showed.

The only other press conference that comes close to being as prepared as Holliday was Turner Gill of Liberty last season and we all know what happened in that game.

As to recruiting, he gets four star kids to spend four and five years in Huntington, WV. That is not a slight by the way, I have spent a lot of time in that area.

RE: Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference - WEARE - 10-01-2014 08:07 AM

(10-01-2014 07:58 AM)djnva Wrote:  
(09-30-2014 04:15 PM)WEARE Wrote:  If there is recent film on it, they have watched it.

That's probably listed right after "JOB DESCRIPTION".

Your right. He evaluates talent like every coach. I was just trying to give perspective into his background. It was not meant as a slight to ODU.

RE: Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference - djnva - 10-01-2014 08:08 AM

(10-01-2014 08:07 AM)WEARE Wrote:  Your right. He evaluates talent like every coach. I was just trying to give perspective into his background. It was not meant as a slight to ODU.

And I didn't mean it as a slight against Marshall. But saying a coach watched the most recent film on an opponent is pretty much what they are supposed to do. Wilder has mentioned watching your Akron film.

Granted some coaches do more with it...

RE: Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference - BleedsGreen33 - 10-01-2014 08:08 AM

That is exactly what Doc was known for. Urban Meyer when an analyst for ESPN talked at length on how Doc's recruiting played a major role in their success down there. Considering the players he has gotten to Marshall there is no arguing. Now some will dismiss it ignorantly and claim it's because they couldn't get into the schools they wanted which is false. We have had several highly ranked recruits sign with us that were not props. And this whole notion that it is easier to get into Marshall is ignorant. In order for an athlete to play they must meet NCAA standard no school standards.

Nothing pisses me off more than when people run their mouth about us taking props. Like ECU fans claiming more than half our roster is comprised of kids that couldn't be admitted to the big schools and were props. Marshall currently has 15 players that were non-qualifiers. Keep in mind even at that they had good HS GPAs. Doc will only bring in a NQ if they did well in class work. It's those that miss the mark with the ACT or SAT. Of those 15 we have only 6 see significant minutes.

Players Like AJ Leggett who was a 4-star player ranked as the 9th best CB in the country could have went where he wanted. Tennessee brought him in for a visit at the last minute trying to sway him and threw it in iur face that they had. Nebraska tried hard to get him to visit before signing day.

Doc Holliday is a great recruiter. If you don't think so just ask any high school HC in Florida. They will tell you. Some of WVU's greatest players were recruited by Doc. He was a big part of NCST's success when Riv r s was there as well.

RE: Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference - djnva - 10-01-2014 08:11 AM

I don't think the issue here is that no one here thinks Marshall is good, it's the point that you *may* be overselling something that doesn't need it.

ODU fans don't need a hard sell on how good your program and players are. It eventually sounds like you're making an argument to some other audience.

RE: Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference - WEARE - 10-01-2014 08:19 AM

(10-01-2014 08:08 AM)djnva Wrote:  
(10-01-2014 08:07 AM)WEARE Wrote:  Your right. He evaluates talent like every coach. I was just trying to give perspective into his background. It was not meant as a slight to ODU.

And I didn't mean it as a slight against Marshall. But saying a coach watched the most recent film on an opponent is pretty much what they are supposed to do. Wilder has mentioned watching your Akron film.

Granted some coaches do more with it...

No, I understood, and I'm not trying to sell Marshall. I was giving perspective on one of Holliday's strengths. He has weaknesses too, but he prepares extremely well. I think it generates from his years in recruiting. Personally, I think ODU is an up and coming program. Any coach in this conference that takes you lightly will be very sorry.

Re: RE: Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference - Monarchblue - 10-01-2014 09:00 AM

(10-01-2014 07:39 AM)BigBlue23 Wrote:  I can't believe Marshall is not number one in the polls. According to marshall, they have the best coach in America. The best recruiter in America. The best players in America. The best toilet paper in America. And to top it off, they are the best square dancers in America.

I agree with the point of your post, but he really is, and has been for years, one of the best recruiters in America.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

RE: Doc Holliday --- ODU Press Conference - HerdZoned - 10-01-2014 11:35 AM

I see we have one of the idiots of the bunch. One of the best recruiters in the nation. Yes, he is and its not because we say so, its not because ESPN says so, its not because you think the talk is a bunch of horse crap. Its because of the players he has pulled in and backed up by coaches and retired coaches that Holliday has worked for in his career.

Doc was one of the lead recruiters at NC State that helped get Philip Rivers. He was at Florida when they got 5 star Tim Tebow, Holliday, Fedora and Myer is the reason he went there. Doc recruited 6 of Tebow's WRs/TEs.

Most Monarch fans are probably younger but anyone that was anything at WVU from 79-99 was most likely recruited by Holliday including Major Harris, Jeff Hostedler, Darryl Whorly, Todd Sourbraun, Amos Zereoue to WVUs 08 recruiting class that included Geno Smith, Tavon Austin and Steadman Bailey.

Now back to talking to the adults in the room.