CSNbbs
When Navy joins and if we get a team in the access bowl does AAC money go to 8mil per - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: When Navy joins and if we get a team in the access bowl does AAC money go to 8mil per (/thread-705096.html)

Pages: 1 2

When Navy joins and if we get a team in the access bowl does AAC money go to 8mil per - Stookey57 - 09-25-2014 01:06 PM

i would say yes because navy ads more appeal and prestige to the league, and if we win the access bowl game then maybe p6 status

RE: When Navy joins and if we get a team in the access bowl does AAC money go to 8mil per - ECBrad - 09-25-2014 01:09 PM

Nope

RE: When Navy joins and if we get a team in the access bowl does AAC money go to 8mil per - apex_pirate - 09-25-2014 01:12 PM

If Navy were all that (and I'm a HUGE Navy fan), they would have joined the ACC already.

RE: When Navy joins and if we get a team in the access bowl does AAC money go to 8mil per - 3rdWardCoog - 09-25-2014 01:13 PM

ESPN still has us for cheap. They wont be increasing the pay just because.

RE: When Navy joins and if we get a team in the access bowl does AAC money go to 8mil per - CyberBull - 09-25-2014 01:17 PM

(09-25-2014 01:06 PM)Stookey57 Wrote:  i would say yes because navy ads more appeal and prestige to the league, and if we win the access bowl game then maybe p6 status

Why would ESPN/CBS/et al voluntarily pay more for our rights?

If it was just about winning post season games the old BigEast would have held it's own, especially against the ACC where we did a vastly better job in BCS games and most head-to-head match ups.

C-USA said the same thing about Army that didn't turn them into a BCS conference.

RE: When Navy joins and if we get a team in the access bowl does AAC money go to 8mil per - Stookey57 - 09-25-2014 01:17 PM

i think i read after year 2 theres a clause in the contract, especially since we were ncaa champs.

RE: When Navy joins and if we get a team in the access bowl does AAC money go to 8mil per - blunderbuss - 09-25-2014 01:20 PM

(09-25-2014 01:17 PM)CyberBull Wrote:  
(09-25-2014 01:06 PM)Stookey57 Wrote:  i would say yes because navy ads more appeal and prestige to the league, and if we win the access bowl game then maybe p6 status

Why would ESPN/CBS/et al voluntarily pay more for our rights?

If it was just about winning post season games the old BigEast would have held it's own, especially against the ACC where we did a vastly better job in BCS games and most head-to-head match ups.

C-USA said the same thing about Army that didn't turn them into a BCS conference.

What do people mean by P6 status? I keep seeing this over and over and I don't think anybody actually has a clue what they're saying to be honest. I mean, we're probably a top 3 or 4 basketball league and arguably the top G5 football league if you look at the top (which is all that really matters anyway). By default that makes us the #6 but doesn't mean we're Power 6 since we don't get the same voting weight, contract bowls or TV deals. Is that all going to magically change when Navy joins? I seriously doubt it.

RE: When Navy joins and if we get a team in the access bowl does AAC money go to 8mil per - Tigersmoke - 09-25-2014 01:26 PM

Blunderbuss I think you answered your own question. Lol

RE: When Navy joins and if we get a team in the access bowl does AAC money go to 8mil per - Bear - 09-25-2014 01:28 PM

AAC will not get more funds...

... This is THE G5 conference

RE: When Navy joins and if we get a team in the access bowl does AAC money go to 8mil per - blunderbuss - 09-25-2014 01:31 PM

(09-25-2014 01:26 PM)Tigersmoke Wrote:  Blunderbuss I think you answered your own question. Lol

I'm answering it to show how ridiculous asking if we can become the P6 really is. I don't even think people know what they're asking to be honest. It's absurd to think we'll get treated any differently by the P5 and that's who's calling the shots.

RE: When Navy joins and if we get a team in the access bowl does AAC money go to 8mil per - CommuterBob - 09-25-2014 01:52 PM

Navy is on their own TV contract through 2017, plus their game against ND in 2018. Navy won't be part of the AAC TV deal until 2018. The AAC contract with ESPN expires at the end of the 2019-2020 academic year, so negotiations for the next contract will likely start up around 2017 - there's your "look-in."

RE: When Navy joins and if we get a team in the access bowl does AAC money go to 8mil per - Bull - 09-25-2014 02:17 PM

We will only get more money if there is some legit competition for our product. The Big East tried that and it was a miserable failure. It's not us, it's the ESPN monopoly. When Fox, or NBCSN, or anyone else mounts a serious, well funded, attempt to compete with ESPN, payouts (ours in particular) will go up. Until then, we get whatever bread crumbs ESPN feels like tossing our way...

Now the sole upside is that ESPN has a TON of channels and outlets for exposure. And we're ALL OVER their networks. This is a huge positive. Recruits care about being on TV, not how much media $$ the conference makes. The C7 took bigger money to leave ESPN, and now noone can find their games!

RE: When Navy joins and if we get a team in the access bowl does AAC money go to 8mil per - Bull - 09-25-2014 02:19 PM

(09-25-2014 01:52 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  Navy is on their own TV contract through 2017, plus their game against ND in 2018. Navy won't be part of the AAC TV deal until 2018. The AAC contract with ESPN expires at the end of the 2019-2020 academic year, so negotiations for the next contract will likely start up around 2017 - there's your "look-in."

And that answers the question of why ESPN announcers and writers continue to degrade us, even though we are on their networks. They want us as filler, but want us to remain 'cheap' filler. Nothing more.

RE: When Navy joins and if we get a team in the access bowl does AAC money go to 8mil per - ncbeta - 09-25-2014 02:21 PM

(09-25-2014 02:17 PM)Bull Wrote:  We will only get more money if there is some legit competition for our product. The Big East tried that and it was a miserable failure. It's not us, it's the ESPN monopoly. When Fox, or NBCSN, or anyone else mounts a serious, well funded, attempt to compete with ESPN, payouts (ours in particular) will go up. Until then, we get whatever bread crumbs ESPN feels like tossing our way...

Now the sole upside is that ESPN has a TON of channels and outlets for exposure. And we're ALL OVER their networks. This is a huge positive. Recruits care about being on TV, not how much media $$ the conference makes. The C7 took bigger money to leave ESPN, and now noone can find their games!

You said it boss. The dumbest thing the BE could've done was piss off ESPN. All we can do now is play well, get people interested, and hold two cupped hands at the foot of ESPN's throne.

RE: When Navy joins and if we get a team in the access bowl does AAC money go to 8mil per - BigEastHomer - 09-25-2014 03:12 PM

(09-25-2014 01:13 PM)3rdWardCoog Wrote:  ESPN still has us for cheap. They wont be increasing the pay just because.

Good thing we didn't sign on for a lot of years. 04-cheers

RE: When Navy joins and if we get a team in the access bowl does AAC money go to 8mil per - Cubanbull - 09-25-2014 03:20 PM

We will get an increase when Navy's contract runs out and if there haven't been any more raids by the P5. Not huge but I'm sure ESPN will sweeten the deal in order to sign us without going to the open market but that's down the road

RE: When Navy joins and if we get a team in the access bowl does AAC money go to 8mil per - Enriquillo - 09-25-2014 03:26 PM

It's a bit of a tightrope for Aresco. On the one hand, he needs CBS or Fox to appear to be a viable alternative so he can go to ESPN during the review period and threaten to not renew unless we get more money now. However, he doesn't really want to leave ESPN for all the reasons mentioned in this thread.

It's the same situation regarding Temple's stadium. Temple needs Eagle's owner Laurie to think that Temple is seriously considering building its own stadium. But Temple doesn't really want to do it for lots of good reasons.

RE: When Navy joins and if we get a team in the access bowl does AAC money go to 8mil per - First Mate - 09-25-2014 03:36 PM

(09-25-2014 03:26 PM)Enriquillo Wrote:  It's a bit of a tightrope for Aresco. On the one hand, he needs CBS or Fox to appear to be a viable alternative so he can go to ESPN during the review period and threaten to not renew unless we get more money now. However, he doesn't really want to leave ESPN for all the reasons mentioned in this thread.

It's the same situation regarding Temple's stadium. Temple needs Eagle's owner Laurie to think that Temple is seriously considering building its own stadium. But Temple doesn't really want to do it for lots of good reasons.

The more I see the exposure the AAC is getting the more I thnk Aresco pulled a very shrewd move with this contract.

Granted we are "on the cheap" but we are getting tremendous exposure. That is worth more than money sometimes. I think we will get more $$ the next go around because I believe our conference will improve and have some solid teams in football and of course basketball. If we keep this exposure it will pay large dividends in the future for all of our programs.

RE: When Navy joins and if we get a team in the access bowl does AAC money go to 8mil per - ncbeta - 09-25-2014 03:57 PM

I'm going to say this again because it's worth saying. The leadership of the old big east was so freaking stupid. Could you imagine 12 teams instead of 8? Growing four extra teams from 05-2012 would've been a big boost imo. Should've kicked the C7 to the curb. Still would've been a great basketball conference without them.

Of course, that's coming from a fan of a school that was snubbed by the C7 and OBE leadership every time they had the chance.

RE: When Navy joins and if we get a team in the access bowl does AAC money go to 8mil per - Cubanbull - 09-25-2014 04:02 PM

(09-25-2014 03:57 PM)ncbeta Wrote:  I'm going to say this again because it's worth saying. The leadership of the old big east was so freaking stupid. Could you imagine 12 teams instead of 8? Growing four extra teams from 05-2012 would've been a big boost imo. Should've kicked the C7 to the curb. Still would've been a great basketball conference without them.

Of course, that's coming from a fan of a school that was snubbed by the C7 and OBE leadership every time they had the chance.

Water under the bridge. That Big East would still have been raided.

The AAC has a great chance and should grow to be the same thing the Big East was the 6th most valuable league and separate itself more from the lower leagues