CSNbbs
John U Bacon on teacher bashing. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: John U Bacon on teacher bashing. (/thread-704868.html)

Pages: 1 2

John U Bacon on teacher bashing. - Machiavelli - 09-23-2014 08:50 PM

http://linkis.com/www.johnubacon.com/2/6fpyi

Pretty Good.

RE: John U Bacon on teacher bashing. - Machiavelli - 09-23-2014 08:57 PM

"The claim that teachers are under-worked, overpaid parasites could be made only by people who have never taught." -@Johnubacon @MEAOnline

RE: John U Bacon on teacher bashing. - GeorgeBorkFan - 09-23-2014 09:24 PM

(09-23-2014 08:50 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  http://linkis.com/www.johnubacon.com/2/6fpyi

Pretty Good.

Not so much. He takes a quote from Jefferson about "education" and uses it to defend our existing public education system. They aren't the same thing.

RE: John U Bacon on teacher bashing. - Bull_In_Exile - 09-24-2014 06:57 AM

(09-23-2014 08:57 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  "The claim that teachers are under-worked, overpaid parasites could be made only by people who have never taught." -@Johnubacon @MEAOnline

I've taught..... I mean even if I had not this is still a logically faulty argument...

RE: John U Bacon on teacher bashing. - Machiavelli - 09-24-2014 07:07 AM

What region and what age group?

RE: John U Bacon on teacher bashing. - AngryAphid - 09-24-2014 07:23 AM

Teachers criticize parents just as much as parents complain about teachers.

There was a time when teachers used to teach and parents used to parent.
Now teachers are social custodians and parents are facilitative tutors.

RE: John U Bacon on teacher bashing. - DrTorch - 09-24-2014 07:41 AM

(09-23-2014 08:50 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  http://linkis.com/www.johnubacon.com/2/6fpyi

Pretty Good.

This part was pretty good

Quote:“Religion, morality, and knowledge being necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind, schools and the means of education shall forever be encouraged.”

But who is John U Bacon, and why the hell would anyone listen to him?

RE: John U Bacon on teacher bashing. - Native Georgian - 09-24-2014 07:41 AM

Separation of School and State.

I honestly believe that "teacher-bashing" would virtually disappear, almost over night. But I'm positive it would be greatly diminished.

RE: John U Bacon on teacher bashing. - Native Georgian - 09-24-2014 07:42 AM

(09-24-2014 07:41 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  But who is John U Bacon, and why the hell would anyone listen to him?
Author of sports-books like "Three and Out" about Rick Rodriguez at Michigan.

RE: John U Bacon on teacher bashing. - DrTorch - 09-24-2014 07:49 AM

(09-24-2014 07:42 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(09-24-2014 07:41 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  But who is John U Bacon, and why the hell would anyone listen to him?
Author of sports-books like "Three and Out" about Rick Rodriguez at Michigan.

A journalist? Wow, the one profession with IQs lower than teachers.

RE: John U Bacon on teacher bashing. - EverRespect - 09-24-2014 07:54 AM

Teachers aren't the problem, administrators and bureaucrats are.

RE: John U Bacon on teacher bashing. - DrTorch - 09-24-2014 07:55 AM

(09-24-2014 07:54 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Teachers aren't the problem, administrators and bureaucrats are.

03-no

RE: John U Bacon on teacher bashing. - Crebman - 09-24-2014 07:56 AM

As with any profession that numbers in the millions, there are lots of really good teachers, some great ones, and some really crappy ones. Most fall somewhere in-between, but actually do their jobs everyday and the kids in their classes leave knowing more than when they walked in.

Not surprisingly, our Media focuses on the headline grabbing teachers that do dumb, bad stuff and generally ignore the vast majority that do their jobs - some of them exceptionally well. Reporting of folks doing their job everyday isn't really note worthy and doesn't suck in listeners/readers.

Given any profession that numbers in the millions, it's almost a sure bet that a few will do something incredibly stupid, if not illegal on any given day. It really is a shame that the union mentality of "protect all union members" dominates the schools and makes it very hard to get rid of the crappy teachers that shouldn't have the job - it tends to stain the reputation of the good ones that do their job on a daily basis.

While I understand that Unions do protect teachers from an administrator that could be/is vindictive, I think the Unions would be much better served in the long run if they were vigilant in protecting teachers from over zealous administrators while allowing them to flush out teachers that are lazy and not doing their job. The "protect all" mentality gives the whole profession a black eye.

RE: John U Bacon on teacher bashing. - HeartOfDixie - 09-24-2014 08:18 AM

Nah, teachers are part of the problem. It's a low paying job and most of the people going into it today are folks who couldn't do anything else because they aren't that sharp and they are the opposite of motivated.

RE: John U Bacon on teacher bashing. - Bull_In_Exile - 09-24-2014 08:46 AM

(09-24-2014 07:07 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  What region and what age group?

Upper mid-west, teenagers...

RE: John U Bacon on teacher bashing. - DrTorch - 09-24-2014 08:48 AM

(09-24-2014 08:18 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Nah, teachers are part of the problem. It's a low paying job

Why do people keep saying that? Public school teacher salaries are now above the median income in most areas.

RE: John U Bacon on teacher bashing. - EverRespect - 09-24-2014 08:54 AM

(09-24-2014 07:55 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(09-24-2014 07:54 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Teachers aren't the problem, administrators and bureaucrats are.

03-no

Teachers no longer do anything but teach to a test that administrators and bureaucrats require of them and judge their performance on the results of. I was in public school for 6 years of my life and I only had one teacher that was bad. Parents pulled my out and put me in private school because of the other students, not because of the teaching. Explain your disagreement.

RE: John U Bacon on teacher bashing. - DrTorch - 09-24-2014 09:05 AM

(09-24-2014 08:54 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

03-no

Teachers no longer do anything but teach to a test that administrators and bureaucrats require of them and judge their performance on the results of. I was in public school for 6 years of my life and I only had one teacher that was bad. Parents pulled my out and put me in private school because of the other students, not because of the teaching. Explain your disagreement.

I've posted scores of articles on the actions of teachers. Your anecdote doesn't undo those facts.

RE: John U Bacon on teacher bashing. - Machiavelli - 09-24-2014 09:14 AM

Yes in an occupation of millions you can find bad apples. Your "FACTS" are not what you claim them to be nor are they an indictment on the profession. You can literally take any profession and assassinate the character of any group using Torch's M.O.

RE: John U Bacon on teacher bashing. - DaSaintFan - 09-24-2014 09:25 AM

(09-24-2014 08:54 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

03-no

It's why my mom jumped from public school systems to a religious school system in teaching. It was a huge difference, between night and day. SHe was actually allowed to teach and not jump through bureaucracies. She even said her workload diminished nearly ten-fold, because she didn't have to do so much "crap" before she got to her school prep-work.