CSNbbs
Game 3: Eastern Michigan - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Game 3: Eastern Michigan (/thread-702263.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Game 3: Eastern Michigan - djnva - 09-08-2014 08:36 AM

Saturday, 6 pm.

Eastern Michigan is 1-1, with a 31-28 squeaker at home over Morgan State (who is 0-2, and just lost to Holy Cross) and a 65-0 shellacking at Florida.

ODU should be able to move the ball relatively easily against EMU. Even looking past what Florida did to them, Morgan State passed for 269 yards and rushed for 210 more. There will be plenty of opportunities for Heinicke and the boys to put up points.

On the other side of the ball, EMU is a running team, rushing 90 times in 2 games. Against Morgan State they ran 56 times for 292 yards, but against the Gators they struggled a bit, with 34 carries for 80 yards. I'd look for somewhere in between those 2 extremes.

However, one thing EMU has shown no ability to do is throw the ball.

Against a subpar MEAC defense, they were 18 of 30 for 99 yards. Yes, 30 attempts, 99 yards, as 2 QBs split time, and no pass play went more than 14 yards. Against Florida, 3 QBs got time, but none of them were any good, going 9/21 for 45 yards. EMU has 144 yards passing on the season.

We are sandwiched between their Florida game and a game against Michigan State for them. They may be a little beat up, and ODU needs to take advantage early, get out to a solid lead and get some confidence in that defensive backfield as EMU flails around on offense.

This is an FBS team we should drill.

RE: Game 3: Eastern Michigan - GO_MONARKS - 09-09-2014 06:27 AM

The D should do well against these guys if we can focus on stopping the run?

RE: Game 3: Eastern Michigan - mturn017 - 09-09-2014 07:54 AM

(09-09-2014 06:27 AM)GO_MONARKS Wrote:  The D should do well against these guys if we can focus on stopping the run?

The question mark at the end of this statement is fitting

RE: Game 3: Eastern Michigan - bit_9 - 09-09-2014 08:17 AM

[Image: WfQNfh7.png]

RE: Game 3: Eastern Michigan - bit_9 - 09-09-2014 08:28 AM

*I liked what I saw at the NC State game. A lot of work has been done and they showed improvement. Don't want to pile on, the img was a joke in context of the ?.

I think we keep EMU to under 21.

RE: Game 3: Eastern Michigan - ODU True Blue - 09-09-2014 09:01 AM

Hey they can't pass and we can't stop the pass. Something has to give!

RE: Game 3: Eastern Michigan - ODUalum78 - 09-09-2014 09:16 AM

(09-09-2014 09:01 AM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  Hey they can't pass and we can't stop the pass. Something has to give!

04-rock 04-cheers

RE: Game 3: Eastern Michigan - Stanger - 09-09-2014 11:34 AM

(09-09-2014 09:01 AM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  Hey they can't pass and we can't stop the pass. Something has to give!

I don't know, we have a tendency to make opposing QB's look like Heisman candidates. Hope that doesn't hold true here.

RE: Game 3: Eastern Michigan - ODUalum78 - 09-09-2014 12:17 PM

I have spent some time reading the Eastern Michigan and MAC boards, and find myself in an unusual position.

Normally I enjoy argument, heated debate, and smack. However, given the state of their program, players, fans, and even location, I have no stomach for it.

I am going to do nothing but wish them the best. I genuinely hope their situation improves.
04-cheers

RE: Game 3: Eastern Michigan - owynn - 09-09-2014 03:22 PM

(09-09-2014 12:17 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  I have spent some time reading the Eastern Michigan and MAC boards, and find myself in an unusual position.

Normally I enjoy argument, heated debate, and smack. However, given the state of their program, players, fans, and even location, I have no stomach for it.

I am going to do nothing but wish them the best. I genuinely hope their situation improves.
04-cheers

What exactly is going on with their program? I know about the shooting incident, but I saw the football team has more road games than home games (7 to 5) this season, including a four-week stretch.

RE: Game 3: Eastern Michigan - Gilesfan - 09-09-2014 03:35 PM

Since the start of 2013, EMU is

3-11

The 3 wins were against Howard (34-24; common opponent of ODU who won 76-19), Western Michigan 35-32, and Morgan State 34-31.

In the 11 losses, they've been within 2 touchdowns in none of the games. The aveage final score is 50-14. They've given up 50 in 7 of the 11 losses with the other 4 points given up: 45, 28, 42, 42
Defensively they have given up 28 to Morgan State and 24 to Howard.

In 2013, they got 336 yards total per game; 178 through the air and 158 on the ground while average 18.8 points per game
Defensivly, they gave up 511 yards per game, 253 passing and 258 yards rushing while giving up 45.2 points per game.

RE: Game 3: Eastern Michigan - ODUalum78 - 09-09-2014 04:13 PM

(09-09-2014 03:22 PM)owynn Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 12:17 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  I have spent some time reading the Eastern Michigan and MAC boards, and find myself in an unusual position.

04-cheers

What exactly is going on with their program? I know about the shooting incident, but I saw the football team has more road games than home games (7 to 5) this season, including a four-week stretch.
Read the entire threads below.

(09-08-2014 10:41 AM)realistEagle Wrote:  Two games into our season and I must say we have very little room to be optimistic for the rest of the upcoming schedule. Of course, for use EMU fans this is nothing new, year in and year out we fail to put out a competitive product on the field.

For some reason I couldn't stop thinking how and what will it take to get this program around.

Here are some of the things I would to as an EMU AD to help CC help this program become competitive again. I do truly believe that a great coach alone WILL NOT help this program out by himself unless it is a big name football personality which we will never have funds to hire.

1. Make changes to Rynerson. First of, I would cover the side sections on both sides of the stadium until people actually start showing up for the game. This way we could have people sit in the middle sections on both sides which would make the already empty stadium look a little more appealing for the respective recruits.

I am talking something like this:

[Image: Qwest_seattle_sounders_pregame.jpg]

2. Market our school, market our team. If I was the AD, in all the free time the players and the staff have would be used for community events and meetings, volunteer work and etc. We need to get the citizens of Ypsilanti and surround towns out to the games. I know this seems desperate and what not but WE need to build up a fan base ASAP. In today's recruiting having butts in the seats in my opinion is just as important as a good team, good coach or great facilities. WE NEED TO PRACTICALLY FORCE THE PEOPLE TO COME.

Kids want to play in front of people not somewhere were there is less fans than they had at their high school games.

3. Which leads to my next point. Why charge people for these tickets ? Okay I get it maybe have some sections for purchase to die hards like us, but other than that if I was our AD I would be sending out free tickets to houses around Washtenaw county or handing them out at bigger local events. No one normal, who has seen our team play in recent years will pay to watch this type of product.

4. Atmosphere. Look at Chicago Cubs, arguably one of the worst organizations in the country when it comes to on the field product but their games and rooftops are almost always full no matter how bad the team is. People come for the good time. I say build some other entertainment around the stadium, for example across the street in those empty parking lots. Throw some bars around, let the people get drunk so they don't care about this crappy product.

And to finish up my post.

I do not know if this makes sense to anyone but our school has an awful perception in the local press along with a terrible football crowd and even worst team. I seriously believe that a good coach alone will not get anything done. He needs help from the community, he needs help from the press, university staff, our president and even our students. I really hope we have the leadership to understand that because CC alone will not change things.

Opinion on my thoughts very welcome.

and
(09-05-2014 01:15 PM)luckeyone1 Wrote:  All, I, for one, do not condone violence to resolve conflict; however, in light of these traumatic circumstances, I fully understand why the EMU football players have taken this matter into their own hands by confronting this Taylor guy. I do not know Taylor, but we know the company he associates with a convicted murderer, drug dealers and thieves. I will tell everyone that this Taylor guy is lucky that he only received some minor injuries. I believe that Mr. Scott, Mr. Jones, and Mr. Jones showed great restraint in this minor confrontation.

Now message to our administration, in light of these unusual circumstances, all three players should be reinstated effective immediately pending the hearing on the 8th.

Message to EMU players: Time to let this go. Certainly Mr. Reed was your brother, but it is time to start healing.......God Bless

RE: Game 3: Eastern Michigan - EverRespect - 09-09-2014 06:13 PM

Wow, had no idea how bad they have been.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

RE: Game 3: Eastern Michigan - Stanger - 09-09-2014 08:04 PM

Have they tried a money drop?

Perhaps they could schedule lesserGSU next year?

RE: Game 3: Eastern Michigan - N2theBlue - 09-09-2014 08:22 PM

I think this game comes at the perfect time. It will give us the opportunity to work out some kinks and for Taylor to get his timing down with the receivers.

RE: Game 3: Eastern Michigan - ODU AGGIE - 09-09-2014 08:56 PM

Reading about the disarray that EMU appears to be in got me to wondering about how their recruiting has been going. I reviewed their recruiting over the past four years, and a consistent decline in recruiting success is evident. According to 247sports, the national rankings of their recruiting classes since 2011 look like this:

2011 95
2012 109
2013 114
2014 120

The 2015 class is currently ranked at 113.

This trend would seem to be a pretty good indicator of how the program been in a clear state of decline for at least the last four years. I am not sure what the cause is, but it does seem they have their hands full trying to turn the program around. As some others have noted, I wish them nothing but the best in their efforts.

This game should not be close.

RE: Game 3: Eastern Michigan - ETSUDB8-79 - 09-09-2014 09:06 PM

This game will NOT be close. 02-13-banana
Just what we need at this time as a tune up for the next 3 games.03-thumbsup

RE: Game 3: Eastern Michigan - ODUalum78 - 09-10-2014 07:48 AM

(09-09-2014 08:56 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  Reading about the disarray that EMU appears to be in got me to wondering about how their recruiting has been going. I reviewed their recruiting over the past four years, and a consistent decline in recruiting success is evident. According to 247sports, the national rankings of their recruiting classes since 2011 look like this:

2011 95
2012 109
2013 114
2014 120

The 2015 class is currently ranked at 113.

This trend would seem to be a pretty good indicator of how the program been in a clear state of decline for at least the last four years. I am not sure what the cause is, but it does seem they have their hands full trying to turn the program around. As some others have noted, I wish them nothing but the best in their efforts.

This game should not be close.

This may be part of it.
http://www.freep.com/article/20140910/COL08/309030190/Drew-Sharp-Big-Ten-football-s-failures-due-to-population-shift-to-Sun-Belt

RE: Game 3: Eastern Michigan - N2theBlue - 09-10-2014 08:29 PM

Is there a channel on fios that is carrying the game

RE: Game 3: Eastern Michigan - Beans N Cornbread - 09-11-2014 12:28 PM

Per the NWS, 50% chance of rain Saturday. Boo ... cooler temps looking nice though.

What's on your tailgate menu?

Tuna tacos and booze for me.