CSNbbs
If we were to split with UCLA and Ole Miss - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: If we were to split with UCLA and Ole Miss (/thread-701223.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

If we were to split with UCLA and Ole Miss - Tiger46 - 09-02-2014 08:30 AM

which team would you rather beat?

RE: If we were to split with UCLA and Ole Miss - MemphisCanes - 09-02-2014 08:38 AM

Ole Miss.

They're the better team anyway.

RE: If we were to split with UCLA and Ole Miss - ksigtigerdood - 09-02-2014 08:38 AM

Tough choice. I'll say Ole Miss, since I'll be in attendance. I think a win against Ole Miss would be better for attendance, too.

RE: If we were to split with UCLA and Ole Miss - TIGERCITY - 09-02-2014 08:39 AM

Mississippi. More of them around for 'water cooler talk' plus we have a longer term relationship. And god forbid but if they beat us in basketball we would at least have the football win.

RE: If we were to split with UCLA and Ole Miss - hollywoodtigerhound - 09-02-2014 08:41 AM

Very good question. Beating UCLA sets the stage for a lot of things, namely: The Casual Curtain Congregation would galvanize and begin to take a closer look being that the a 2-0 start hasn't happened in a long while not to mention the 7th ranked team in the country.

Also how often will the tigers get a chance to come to Pasadena, CA to play at the Rose Bowl (very special place)..? Ole Miss well we can always say, "ehh get'em next time."

RE: If we were to split with UCLA and Ole Miss - Tigers2B1 - 09-02-2014 08:47 AM

There would be more regional tongue wagging with a win against the Black Bears, so them.

RE: If we were to split with UCLA and Ole Miss - BigTigerMike - 09-02-2014 08:49 AM

Ole Miss. Catch them by surprise as they look forward to playing Alabama. GameDay won't show up then and they might be so deflated that they lose to Alabama too. Besides I'll be there

RE: If we were to split with UCLA and Ole Miss - UofMstateU - 09-02-2014 08:55 AM

Ole Miss. If we beat UCLA and lose to Ole Piss, it will make them look better.

Also, we would be able to say Memphis > Ole Miss > Boise St.

RE: If we were to split with UCLA and Ole Miss - Tygrys - 09-02-2014 09:00 AM

(09-02-2014 08:41 AM)hollywoodtigerhound Wrote:  Very good question. Beating UCLA sets the stage for a lot of things, namely: The Casual Curtain Congregation would galvanize and begin to take a closer look being that the a 2-0 start hasn't happened in a long while not to mention the 7th ranked team in the country.

Also how often will the tigers get a chance to come to Pasadena, CA to play at the Rose Bowl (very special place)..? Ole Miss well we can always say, "ehh get'em next time."

I agree. I think a win over UCLA would create a huge buzz locally and also draw more attention nationally, being they are ranked #7 and have a QB who is a Heisman candidate. On a personal level, it would be Ole Miss, but I think UCLA brings us way more attention nationally.

RE: If we were to split with UCLA and Ole Miss - hollywoodtigerhound - 09-02-2014 09:01 AM

My Memphian friends seem to think small and myopic. Beating #7 UCLA at the Rose Bowl would be covered all season on major sports networks and the football populace would not forget it, which means recruits.

Ole Miss whatever...I do get the regional thing, but you have to decide hummm National or Regional...? It's not like we are talking Crimson Tide here.

Dislodge yourselves from the district bubble and step up your game folks.

RE: If we were to split with UCLA and Ole Miss - memphis88 - 09-02-2014 09:16 AM

I hate OM so part would say I'd rather beat them. However, I do think beating UCLA would be a bigger win overall and likely better for the program.

RE: If we were to split with UCLA and Ole Miss - memphis88 - 09-02-2014 09:17 AM

(09-02-2014 09:01 AM)hollywoodtigerhound Wrote:  My Memphian friends seem to think small and myopic. Beating #7 UCLA at the Rose Bowl would be covered all season on major sports networks and the football populace would not forget it, which means recruits.

Ole Miss whatever...I do get the regional thing, but you have to decide hummm National or Regional...? It's not like we are talking Crimson Tide here.

Easier to say when you're not surrounded by OM fans, but I agree.

RE: If we were to split with UCLA and Ole Miss - downsouth - 09-02-2014 09:24 AM

(09-02-2014 08:49 AM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  Ole Miss. Catch them by surprise as they look forward to playing Alabama. GameDay won't show up then and they might be so deflated that they lose to Alabama too. Besides I'll be there

What he said.

RE: If we were to split with UCLA and Ole Miss - salukiblue - 09-02-2014 09:25 AM

(09-02-2014 09:01 AM)hollywoodtigerhound Wrote:  My Memphian friends seem to think small and myopic. Beating #7 UCLA at the Rose Bowl would be covered all season on major sports networks and the football populace would not forget it, which means recruits.

RE: If we were to split with UCLA and Ole Miss - ncrdbl1 - 09-02-2014 09:43 AM

National recognition UCLA
Regional recognition Ole Miss

Ole Miss would be much larger win when it comes to our recruiting

RE: If we were to split with UCLA and Ole Miss - ncrdbl1 - 09-02-2014 09:47 AM

(09-02-2014 09:16 AM)memphis88 Wrote:  I hate OM so part would say I'd rather beat them. However, I do think beating UCLA would be a bigger win overall and likely better for the program.

Beating UCLA will have zero effect on recruiting in this region. Recruits in this region feel the Pac 12 is an inferior conference and it would be looked at in that respect.

RE: If we were to split with UCLA and Ole Miss - UofMstateU - 09-02-2014 09:49 AM

I would love to beat UCLA, and then have UCLA do well in the next two games. But I have a feeling that if we beat UCLA, they will collapse and be lucky to get bowl eligible.

RE: If we were to split with UCLA and Ole Miss - Tigeer - 09-02-2014 09:49 AM

Let's just win 'em both.

UCLA looks like they can be had BTW.

RE: If we were to split with UCLA and Ole Miss - Tigeer - 09-02-2014 09:49 AM

Let's just win 'em both.

UCLA looks like they can be had BTW.

RE: If we were to split with UCLA and Ole Miss - macgar32 - 09-02-2014 10:05 AM

(09-02-2014 09:25 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  

LOL...We lose recruits to Ole Miss daily...

If we were to beat them that helps our argument...Doubt a win over UCLA is going to help a pull a recruit out of UCLA's jaws.

Now conversely it is possible that UCLA can run the table outside of us which would mean more (team in playoff with only loss to 'lil ole Memphis)...No way Ole Miss does that...So pluses on both sides.