CSNbbs
A brief overview of Pitt's campus and football facilities... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: A brief overview of Pitt's campus and football facilities... (/thread-699383.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

A brief overview of Pitt's campus and football facilities... - Dr. Isaly von Yinzer - 08-21-2014 04:22 PM

A brief overview of Pitt's campus...

A brief overview of Pitt's football facilities...

RE: A brief overview of Pitt's campus and football facilities... - TexanMark - 08-21-2014 04:45 PM

Sign me up!

RE: A brief overview of Pitt's campus and football facilities... - texasorange - 08-21-2014 06:25 PM

Very nice Dr. von Yinzer!

RE: A brief overview of Pitt's campus and football facilities... - ClairtonPanther - 08-21-2014 06:52 PM

So glad to be a student... Now it's time to ace some classes.

Thx for sharing Doc

RE: A brief overview of Pitt's campus and football facilities... - nole - 08-21-2014 07:58 PM

Really like the campus and area around it.

FSU fans said great things about the area when FSU played at Pitt last year (there only knock was nobody in town even knew there was a game....which is a bit of a shock for a southern college football fan).

Like the facilities......I basically believe every ACC school (FSU as well) has to improve facilities to compete at a top 25 level. Most, if not all, are behind.

RE: A brief overview of Pitt's campus and football facilities... - PhiladelphiaVT - 08-21-2014 08:13 PM

VERY impressive school!!

RE: A brief overview of Pitt's campus and football facilities... - Dr. Isaly von Yinzer - 08-21-2014 08:28 PM

(08-21-2014 07:58 PM)nole Wrote:  Really like the campus and area around it.

FSU fans said great things about the area when FSU played at Pitt last year (there only knock was nobody in town even knew there was a game....which is a bit of a shock for a southern college football fan).

Nobody in town even knew there was a game going on? That seems difficult to believe given that the stadium was full and the game was highly rated locally. I think you may have simply met some odd balls.

Pitt is the No. 4 game in town - after the Steelers, Penguins and Bucs (in that order) - and it always will be. There is no question about that. However, I can guarantee you when the No. 1 team in the country visits, it is big news here. It is not in the same league as a Steelers/Ravens game or a Pens/Flyers game, but it is a big deal nonetheless.

RE: A brief overview of Pitt's campus and football facilities... - Marge Schott - 08-21-2014 09:34 PM

That game was full, as in sold out?

RE: A brief overview of Pitt's campus and football facilities... - CrazyPaco - 08-21-2014 11:10 PM

(08-21-2014 09:34 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  That game was full, as in sold out?

The FSU @ Pitt game was completely sold out. They even sold standing room tickets. It was not a capacity crowd, but it was near capacity. Attendance was officially announced at stadium capacity.

This is a picture from the beginning of the game.

[Image: upitt2d.jpg]

RE: A brief overview of Pitt's campus and football facilities... - Hokie Mark - 08-22-2014 05:16 AM

With the NFL football facilities and the synergy with the Steelers... why don't the Panthers go undefeated?

RE: A brief overview of Pitt's campus and football facilities... - Ragu - 08-22-2014 08:58 AM

Yes but there were a ton of FSU fans there (including me).

RE: A brief overview of Pitt's campus and football facilities... - mj4life - 08-22-2014 10:27 AM

(08-22-2014 05:16 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  With the NFL football facilities and the synergy with the Steelers... why don't the Panthers go undefeated?

Because you need the Jimmy's & Joe's to go along with the X's & O's

RE: A brief overview of Pitt's campus and football facilities... - CrazyPaco - 08-22-2014 10:28 AM

(08-22-2014 08:58 AM)Ragu Wrote:  

What's interesting about that is that FSU actually returned parts of their ticket allocation in the upper endzone bleachers which were subsequently put on sale and sold out by Pitt. That isn't to say FSU fans weren't there in good numbers, probably even beyond their official allocations because they bought up a good number of premium seats off of stub hub and the like.

I had seats in two sections for that game (because I had more people than just my season tickets). In the lower sideline around the 50 on the visitors side (where I usually sit), there were many more scattered FSU people there than there were around the seats that I had in upper deck sideline around the 25 yard line (I sat in both sections during the game). In fact, there were essentially no FSU fans in that area of the upper decks from what I remember. In general attendance observations, the stadium was completely full except for a noticeable patch in the far corner of open endzone end of the stadium at the top of the upper deck (not visible in the above picture). Those seats were sold though. There were a lot more casual Pittsburgh sports fans in attendance than is typical, as one would expect for such a big game. Pitt games typically draw in the mid 40Ks if the team has no hype (like last year), or for bigger games, mid-50s. Sold out games to occur on occasions, for rivals like ND and WVU or for events like the FSU game. If Pitt was regularly ranked and had national buzz, I believe we'd average in the upper 50s, and that is what occurred when we averaged ~59,200 (sold out season tickets) in 2003 with Larry Fitzgerald.

RE: A brief overview of Pitt's campus and football facilities... - Ragu - 08-22-2014 10:40 AM

I bought them through Pitt and I sat in the upper deck sideline on FSU's side. Seemed to be a pretty decent amount of FSU fans by me...

RE: A brief overview of Pitt's campus and football facilities... - CrazyPaco - 08-22-2014 10:44 AM

(08-22-2014 10:40 AM)Ragu Wrote:  I bought them through Pitt and I sat in the upper deck sideline on FSU's side. Seemed to be a pretty decent amount of FSU fans by me...

I would have been in the upper deck of the opposite sideline. My lower level seats were on your side and are in sections that are all donation-based season tickets. Based on my observations of the tickets sales, I'd conclude that FSU fans bought early and the best seats that were available (and obviously probably went for seats on their sideline). The game sold out late and my extra upper level tickets were purchased somewhat later, but not last minute...and equivalent seats on your side were gone. My observation was that Pittsburgh sports fans typically went for the cheapest seats before even just slightly more expensive but better seats. These later sales were casual Pittsburgh sports fans, obviously not Pitt season ticket holding fan types.

RE: A brief overview of Pitt's campus and football facilities... - CrazyPaco - 08-22-2014 10:48 AM

(08-22-2014 10:27 AM)mj4life Wrote:  
(08-22-2014 05:16 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  With the NFL football facilities and the synergy with the Steelers... why don't the Panthers go undefeated?

Based on some of the on-field talent, it also has a lot to do with Coach Jimmy and Coach Joe as well.

RE: A brief overview of Pitt's campus and football facilities... - Dr. Isaly von Yinzer - 08-22-2014 10:50 AM

I'm not sure that I would agree that there were a "ton of Florida State fans" in attendance. Florida State's fans definitely showed up but it was nothing extraordinary or anything like that. I would guess that you probably had 5-7K fans at the game (capacity 65,000). In other words, the vast majority of the fans in attendance were cheering for the Panthers.

The difference would've been more pronounced but most Pittsburghers understood going in that we were playing the role of "the other team" in the Jameis Winston coming out party and that we were very likely going to be destroyed.

For example, Cincinnati (which is closer) used to bring a lot more fans than Florida State brought last year and that is before we even get into the good traveling teams like Notre Dame, Penn State, West Virginia, etc.

That is the problem whenever you are a "minor-league team" competing in a major-league market. You have an enormous bandwagon contingent because they have a lot of other options on which to use their discretionary income. They will come out in droves if PITT is good or if the Panthers are playing a name opponent (especially if that opponent is the number one team in the country). However getting them to come out for a 3-3 PITT team vs. a 2-4 NC State squad is always going to be a struggle. I'm more than certain that Miami, Georgia Tech and Boston College face these exact same issues - as does every other major university that is located in a city that has professional sports teams.

I think some of you are caught up in your own biases/preconceived notions about the popularity of college football in the Northeast. It is true that CFB is not as popular as professional football or really any other professional sport. However, in Pittsburgh at least, college football is still a big deal here.

I look at it as the inverse of the South. I understand that UGA is more popular in the state of Georgia than the Falcons and that LSU is more popular in Louisiana than the Saints. However, that does not make those NFL teams unpopular in their areas. It also doesn't mean that when those teams are playing big games nobody watches or cares. They just happen to care more about the game played the day before.

I think it is very similar here but the priorities are flipped. I have no idea why that is so difficult for some people to accept and/or comprehend? We are more similar than dissimilar. It is just that our priorities are flipped when it comes to professional versus collegiate athletics. Personally, I think it is a red state/blue state thing more than a north/south thing but that is a debate for another day.

RE: A brief overview of Pitt's campus and football facilities... - Ragu - 08-22-2014 10:56 AM

(08-22-2014 10:50 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  

I'm not sure that I would agree that there were a "ton of Florida State fans" in attendance. Florida State's fans definitely showed up but it was nothing extraordinary or anything like that. For example, Cincinnati used to bring a lot more fans the Florida State brought last year and that is before we even get into the good traveling teams like Notre Dame, Penn State, West Virginia, etc.

In other words, most of the fans at that game – the vast majority of the fans at the game – we're rooting for PITT.

I think some of you are caught up in your own biases/preconceived notions about the popularity of college football in the Northeast. It is true that CFB is not as popular as professional football or really any other professional sport. However, in Pittsburgh at least, college football is still a big deal here.

I look at it as the inverse of the South. I understand that the Bulldogs are more popular in The state of Georgia than the Falcons and that LSU is more popular in Louisiana than the Saints. However, that does not make those NFL teams unpopular in their areas and it doesn't mean that when those teams are playing big games nobody watches. I think it is very similar here but the priorities are flipped. I have no idea why that is so difficult for some people to except and – or comprehend?

Well teams like Penn State/Cincy are a lot closer to Pittsburgh so they should have more fans travel to the game. Plus with the expectation that it would be a blowout game, a lot of FSU fans weren't pumped to go to Pittsburgh. If Pitt were better, they would probably care more just saying...

I'm not saying Pitt doesnt care but it isnt even close to the same atmosphere. You guys play at an NFL stadium where the college fans aren't rabid. Pittsburgh is a pro town. Not the same type of deal.

RE: A brief overview of Pitt's campus and football facilities... - CrazyPaco - 08-22-2014 11:07 AM

(08-22-2014 10:50 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  

I'm not sure that I would agree that there were a "ton of Florida State fans" in attendance. Florida State's fans definitely showed up but it was nothing extraordinary or anything like that. I would guess that you probably had 5-7K fans at the game. For example, Cincinnati (which is closer) used to bring a lot more fans the Florida State brought last year and that is before we even get into the good traveling teams like Notre Dame, Penn State, West Virginia, etc.

In other words, most of the fans at that game – the vast majority of the fans at the game – were rooting for PITT. That is the problem whenever you were a minor-league team competing in a major-league market. You have an enormous bandwagon contingent because they have a lot of other options on which to use their discretionary income. They will come out in droves if pit is good or if pit is playing the number one team in the country. However getting them to come out for a three and three pit team versus a two and four and see State team is always going to be a struggle.

I look at it as the inverse of the South. I understand that the Bulldogs are more popular in The state of Georgia than the Falcons and that LSU is more popular in Louisiana than the Saints. However, that does not make those NFL teams unpopular in their areas and it doesn't mean that when those teams are playing big games nobody watches. I think it is very similar here but the priorities are flipped. I have no idea why that is so difficult for some people to except and – or comprehend?

FSU fans were there in numbers that were good for a school located 900 miles away. Definitely more than any other school located outside the region has ever brought.

It also didn't help there weren't a lot for Pittsburgh fans to cheer about for a good portion of the game. I know my upper deck section of 99% Pittsburgh fans mostly sat on its hands.

But as I noted, the school returned tickets, so it isn't like they set any overall records. ND is the team that regularly has had the most fans show up at Heinz in my experience and opinion, and that is due to the subway alumni effect. There have been anecdotes where people in ND gear couldn't even identify what state South Bend was located in.

RE: A brief overview of Pitt's campus and football facilities... - ClairtonPanther - 08-22-2014 05:01 PM

(08-22-2014 10:48 AM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  
(08-22-2014 10:27 AM)mj4life Wrote:  

Based on some of the on-field talent, it also has a lot to do with Coach Jimmy and Coach Joe as well.

It's quite interesting because Pitt has had the talent the past 15 years. It seemed like one area was stacked and another area was a glaring weakness. Offensively Wanny had nice RB's, a decent OLine, some weapons on the outside, but never a QB to get the WR's the ball. He had some decent DL's, very good LB's, and decent secondaries. Chryst seems to be an OK recruiter and seems to recruit his style of players moreso than overall talent. As of now, Pitt has a solid RB crew, with Conner and company, a solid WR crew, with Boyd, Garner, Jones, and Weatherspoon, an improving OL, and then an inexperienced, but talented, QB in Voytik.