CSNbbs
Article from C-town - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Western Michigan (/forum-469.html)
+------ Forum: The Dan Burgardt Memorial Bronco Football Forum (/forum-489.html)
+------ Thread: Article from C-town (/thread-698744.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Article from C-town - BCBronco - 08-17-2014 10:25 AM

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/index.ssf/2014/08/-_mac_football_2014_video_and_2.html#incart_river

RE: Article from C-town - DesertBronco - 08-17-2014 10:38 AM

(08-17-2014 10:25 AM)BCBronco Wrote:  http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/index.ssf/2014/08/-_mac_football_2014_video_and_2.html#incart_river

Agree with most of what he says but we didn't use TVT well last year so I don't think he's a big of a miss as he should have been.

He nailed it on the talk and schedule. Very objective and truthful. Guess this guy isn't worried about being banned from practice?

RE: Article from C-town - BCBronco - 08-17-2014 10:59 AM

(08-17-2014 10:38 AM)DesertBronco Wrote:  
(08-17-2014 10:25 AM)BCBronco Wrote:  http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/index.ssf/2014/08/-_mac_football_2014_video_and_2.html#incart_river

Agree with most of what he says but we didn't use TVT well last year so I don't think he's a big of a miss as he should have been.

He nailed it on the talk and schedule. Very objective and truthful. Guess this guy isn't worried about being banned from practice?
Nope, he was blunt.

RE: Article from C-town - Hiller4Hyz09 - 08-17-2014 11:16 AM

Our key game is Murray!!!

RE: Article from C-town - Chipdip2 - 08-17-2014 11:59 AM

(08-17-2014 10:38 AM)DesertBronco Wrote:  

Pretty much just mailed it in. Nothing there that we haven't heard before, and the TVT point just showed how little homework he did on this.

I also don't remember any bold predictions for last year. He made bold predictions about the future of the program.

RE: Article from C-town - DesertBronco - 08-17-2014 12:07 PM

True, he didn't make any predictions about last season and seemed as surprised as anyone how poorly it went, to the point of being all over the map with the excuses and throwing everyone under the bus.

RE: Article from C-town - Chipdip2 - 08-17-2014 12:14 PM

(08-17-2014 11:16 AM)Hiller4Hyz09 Wrote:  Our key game is Murray!!!

Our key game is UT at home in the opener. How we play in that game will set the tone for the season. You can blow out Murray or win in a squeaker, it won't matter either way.

UT has to be a solid game, win or lose. That game is followed up by 2 tough road games. BG I believe is I unwinnable. BSU is much more winnable. But if the UT game goes badly it won't bode well going into Muncie.

RE: Article from C-town - Broncobelt - 08-17-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:The saving grace was a recruiting class projected to be the best in the conference. Now, many of those young players will be expected to land on the two-deep in order for the Broncos to make a solid improvement this season. This was a solid MAC program prior to last season and not used to seasons such as 2013.

Lately it seems the only respect the program gets is for what it used to be. Hope that changes soon.

Interesting how the author referred to our recruiting class. Forward looking approach with, "projected to be the best in the conference". Sounds like he is looking for them to prove their ranking coming in.

RE: Article from C-town - WheresWaldo42 - 08-17-2014 12:36 PM

I think this guys is 100% dead nuts on.

How did the guy "mail it in"? He writing a season preview for each team in the Cleveland Plains Dealer. What do you expect to learn? For non WMU fans they may not realize all of PJs gimmicks and bold predictions..... By the way those included National Championships, 40k+ attendance, being ELITE, heck winning in itself was a bold prediction..... He hit the nail on the head about fans not being down with all the talk and a 1-11 record. All but 2 or 3 of us would agree with that comment.

I find it funny how you apparently expect such in depth and positive coverage regarding PJ and his program. This is about as in depth as it needs to get. His first year was an absolute joke. And it's also apparently about as much as anyone is going to get, since apparently he also wasn't invited into PJs inner circle of head oarsmen.

I'd rather read someone give us an accurate description and opinion rather than try to sell readers a load of sparkling BS.

RE: Article from C-town - WheresWaldo42 - 08-17-2014 12:39 PM

(08-17-2014 12:14 PM)Broncobelt Wrote:  
Quote:The saving grace was a recruiting class projected to be the best in the conference. Now, many of those young players will be expected to land on the two-deep in order for the Broncos to make a solid improvement this season. This was a solid MAC program prior to last season and not used to seasons such as 2013.

Lately it seems the only respect the program gets is for what it used to be. Hope that changes soon.

Interesting how the author referred to our recruiting class. Forward looking approach with, "projected to be the best in the conference". Sounds like he is looking for them to prove their ranking coming in.

Noticed that also. In fact with much of the things he said I wondered of maybe he had been reading our conversations (when they actually stay on topic) here at Bronco Stampede. I think he hits the nail on the head with his description of last season and the vaunted recruiting class is coming in but needs to be coached up.

RE: Article from C-town - Chipdip2 - 08-17-2014 01:39 PM

Wonder if he said that 2 years ago when UT had the top class.

If you read his reviews they all are about what happened in the MAC in the past. MAC FB isn't like the NFL where New England is always good. There is little continuity in the MAC. Coaches move on, players graduate, programs that sucked two years ago take UM to the wire, programs that played for the MAC title two years ago are in shambles now.

RE: Article from C-town - DesertBronco - 08-17-2014 02:12 PM

(08-17-2014 01:39 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  

Wonder if he said that 2 years ago when UT had the top class.

If you read his reviews they all are about what happened in the MAC in the past. MAC FB isn't like the NFL where New England is always good. There is little continuity in the MAC. Coaches move on, players graduate, programs that sucked two years ago take UM to the wire, programs that played for the MAC title two years ago are in shambles now.

He talked about what had to happen this year, returning players, eight starters on offense, five on defense, and what the expectations were.

His references to the past were relevant.

RE: Article from C-town - toddjnsn - 08-17-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:This was a solid MAC program prior to last season and not used to seasons such as 2013.

I think before 2012 we were considered a solid program. We were sliding downhill somewhat over the last Cubit years, but the last Cubit year of 2012 made it slide outside the line of "solid MAC program". Of course, PJ had to TOTALLY one-up Cubit in 2013 in what "sliding" really means. BUT, to be fair, given all the injuries and everything, to expect us to be any more than 2012's record (4-8) with even a new Great coach, would be silly. But yeah, 1-11 definitely makes one think of the Dark Darnell Days.

RE: Article from C-town - Chipdip2 - 08-17-2014 03:11 PM

Returning starters is lazy mans reporting. It often doesn't mean much. If the returning starters are good it's one thing. Central has a ton of returning starters, but from what we witnessed at Waldo, they weren't much better than the rag tag bunch we had on the field.

Kendrick Roberts and Tim Keith are returning starters. They've already been beaten out by Darius Phillips and Braverman. Chance has likely lost his starting status to a freshmen RB. We have few returning starters on the Dline. None the less with the addition of a transfer, a position change, 2 solid RS freshmen, three players who played a ton but didn't start, the DLINE is an upgrade.....but can you take that away from this pathetic article. Seriously, the guy made it sound like losing TVT to graduation was a big deal. I guarantee you he'll explain why the BAMA transfer to UT should make the transition from Owens easier. Difference being, he'll do his research on UT, while he pulled this article out of his azz using Phil Steele stats.

You have a strange love affair with half azzed journalism, and a major hatred for people who bring information that's hard to come by.

RE: Article from C-town - DesertBronco - 08-17-2014 03:19 PM

On the contrary, you see red when a real journalist reports anything objective about Fleck and then you go on the attack, trying to discredit the messenger and hopefully, the message.

RE: Article from C-town - Chipdip2 - 08-17-2014 03:37 PM

(08-17-2014 03:19 PM)DesertBronco Wrote:  On the contrary, you see red when a real journalist reports anything objective about Fleck and then you go on the attack, trying to discredit the messenger and hopefully, the message.

Wow, your expectations are low.

DB: Look, this Plain Dealer guy wrote an article pointing out Flecks silly cliches and that we lost a QB that sat out 80% of last season. While totally irrelevant, and totally common knowledge, the fact that he said something negative makes him a "true journalist."

You had an e-orgasm when Dirty and I bagged on Fleck's policy for watching practice.

But getting back to this article. Good journalism tells something we weren't aware of or privy to. There's not one thing in this piece that we didn't already know.

RE: Article from C-town - DesertBronco - 08-17-2014 03:44 PM

Your definition of "good journalism" is suspect and self serving. Look, not everyone cares if you follow a kids tweets and report them as news, in fact, it's a little off to many. That's not news who a kid might talk to next week, and even this recruiting ranking hoopla that you guys get chubs over is a little off the mark, it's pure gimmick marketing aimed at idle minds.

This guy wrong a SUMMARY about the upcoming football season as he does for each team. He reports relevant facts, like the fact that Fleck made some strong statements, that the people that follow WMU football may be just a little less than enamored wtih his "Big Talker Betty Crocker" routine, and that we had a reletively easy schedule coming up so wins shouldn't be out of the quesiton.

Aside from a handful, there aren't many people that would care about a 1-11 team enough to want more info. At any level, you guys act like this is a great, newsworthy event, a 1-11 team practicing and getting ready for a new season. Newsflash, it's hardly news for anyone outside of a few of us.

One quick look in the stands late last year would support that.

RE: Article from C-town - Chipdip2 - 08-17-2014 04:04 PM

DB: "He wrote something negative about PJ. It sent a shiver up my leg." 03-cloud9

Pulitzer 04-rock

RE: Article from C-town - Chipdip2 - 08-17-2014 04:13 PM

(08-17-2014 12:36 PM)WheresWaldo42 Wrote:  I think this guys is 100% dead nuts on.

How did the guy "mail it in"? He writing a season preview for each team in the Cleveland Plains Dealer. What do you expect to learn? For non WMU fans they may not realize all of PJs gimmicks and bold predictions..... By the way those included National Championships, 40k+ attendance, being ELITE, heck winning in itself was a bold prediction..... He hit the nail on the head about fans not being down with all the talk and a 1-11 record. All but 2 or 3 of us would agree with that comment.

I find it funny how you apparently expect such in depth and positive coverage regarding PJ and his program. This is about as in depth as it needs to get. His first year was an absolute joke. And it's also apparently about as much as anyone is going to get, since apparently he also wasn't invited into PJs inner circle of head oarsmen.

I'd rather read someone give us an accurate description and opinion rather than try to sell readers a load of sparkling BS.

Did you learn anything from this article? If so, what?

Accurate?? He thought one of our biggest losses was the graduation of a QB who played less than 30% of the season.

RE: Article from C-town - Hoekjeness - 08-17-2014 09:30 PM

I seriously can't believe there is more than 1 person here who believe this was a quality write up. Wow. What's worse is this guy is notorious in the media world for getting his info from the message boards (this one specifically for WMU) and doing zero research.

I will say he's knows his MAC basketball really well. He should stick to that. This article is a joke.