CSNbbs
OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread (/thread-698736.html)

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - bearcatmark - 02-22-2015 01:03 PM

Liverpool closing in on top 4 position. Top 4 and winning the FA Cup would make for a very good season given how badly everything went early.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - Kronke - 02-22-2015 02:04 PM

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - BearcatMan - 02-22-2015 04:42 PM

That was a very odd game...Southampton looked inept all day on the attack; they were pretty much the team in control the whole time, but I never once thought Liverpool would lose. They desperately need Jay Rodriguez back, PĂȘlle is worthless in the attack now that everyone has figured out he can't create his own chances.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - chiefsfan - 02-22-2015 06:17 PM

(02-22-2015 04:42 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  That was a very odd game...Southampton looked inept all day on the attack; they were pretty much the team in control the whole time, but I never once thought Liverpool would lose. They desperately need Jay Rodriguez back, PĂȘlle is worthless in the attack now that everyone has figured out he can't create his own chances.

Koeman keeps complaining about teams sitting 10 men behind the ball against them and seeming content to take a draw. I don't think he fully understand's that is one of the way's to beat Southampton now. They are really toothless in the attack, but great in defense, so why not sit back and absorb the pressure before springing the counter and looking for the odd goal. Even Liverpool semi employed that tactic on them today.

Everyone is going to do that until the Saints can figure out how to score goals without Rodriguez.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - chiefsfan - 02-22-2015 06:20 PM

(02-21-2015 11:36 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  How many times does it need to be said. You cannot let Shelvey pick his chances from 25 yards.

This has been the strangest season. At time's we've looked awful out there, but we've done the double on Man Utd, and have wins over Southampton and Arsenal, and are sitting on 37 points in February.

I really want 3 points against Burnley this week to get us to 40 so we can start to concentrate on higher targets than just securing safety. (To be truthful, we're probably already safe, I don't see 18th getting to 37 points this year.)

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - BearcatMan - 02-22-2015 07:00 PM

(02-22-2015 06:20 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(02-21-2015 11:36 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  How many times does it need to be said. You cannot let Shelvey pick his chances from 25 yards.

This has been the strangest season. At time's we've looked awful out there, but we've done the double on Man Utd, and have wins over Southampton and Arsenal, and are sitting on 37 points in February.

I really want 3 points against Burnley this week to get us to 40 so we can start to concentrate on higher targets than just securing safety. (To be truthful, we're probably already safe, I don't see 18th getting to 37 points this year.)

Yeah, you're definitely safe with 37 points. That total through 38 games would've maintained safety in the past 3 seasons. That being said, there is no way you end with 37, you'll be closer to 50 I'm thinking.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - chiefsfan - 02-22-2015 07:03 PM

(02-22-2015 07:00 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Yeah, you're definitely safe with 37 points. That total through 38 games would've maintained safety in the past 3 seasons. That being said, there is no way you end with 37, you'll be closer to 50 I'm thinking.

50 is the goal. We've never hit 50 points in a Premier League season. Still, I'm a little crazy about staying in the Premier League since it's almost impossible to watch the Championship in the US, so 40 points remains my primary goal every year.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - PirateJP - 02-22-2015 07:42 PM

Video of Worcester City defender Shabir Khan suplexing Stockport County's Charlie Russell, after Russell trips him with a blatant kick to the legs.

Link

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - BearcatMan - 02-22-2015 10:08 PM

(02-22-2015 07:03 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

50 is the goal. We've never hit 50 points in a Premier League season. Still, I'm a little crazy about staying in the Premier League since it's almost impossible to watch the Championship in the US, so 40 points remains my primary goal every year.

BelN has made it easier, but yes, with NBC I'd want to stay in the EPL no matter what, this is a golden age for exposure in the US. With the Swans' remaining schedule I would think 45-50 is fairly reasonable. Burnley, Villa, Hull, Stoke, Leicester, and Palace are all 3 point possibilities and Newcastle and Everton are pretty even with you. Should be a fun end...my team (Celtic) is already in cruise control, so I need to figure out who to really pick up on. I'm thinking Soton simply because I'd love to see them break into the CL.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - DowdyPirate - 02-22-2015 11:06 PM

(02-22-2015 10:08 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

BelN has made it easier, but yes, with NBC I'd want to stay in the EPL no matter what, this is a golden age for exposure in the US. With the Swans' remaining schedule I would think 45-50 is fairly reasonable. Burnley, Villa, Hull, Stoke, Leicester, and Palace are all 3 point possibilities and Newcastle and Everton are pretty even with you. Should be a fun end...my team (Celtic) is already in cruise control, so I need to figure out who to really pick up on. I'm thinking Soton simply because I'd love to see them break into the CL.

BeIN only has one, sometimes two games a week on. Wolves haven't been on BeIN since November or early December

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - DowdyPirate - 02-22-2015 11:08 PM

I was thinking about it today, Afobe reminds me a lot of Charlie Austin. They are kinda fast, but not really fast, and they aren't really that great at anything. They just score goals

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - BearcatMan - 02-22-2015 11:36 PM

(02-22-2015 11:08 PM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  I was thinking about it today, Afobe reminds me a lot of Charlie Austin. They are kinda fast, but not really fast, and they aren't really that great at anything. They just score goals

The best strikers are the ones who have a good first two steps and who find themselves in the right place a lot. Don't need much more than that and the ability to put the ball in the net when it falls to you.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - BearcatMan - 02-22-2015 11:38 PM

(02-22-2015 11:06 PM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  
(02-22-2015 06:20 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  This has been the strangest season. At time's we've looked awful out there, but we've done the double on Man Utd, and have wins over Southampton and Arsenal, and are sitting on 37 points in February.

BeIN only has one, sometimes two games a week on. Wolves haven't been on BeIN since November or early December

That's still more than there used to be on TV over here (unless youre one of the crazy few who paid for individual broadcasting of SkySports...yes...that was me for a few years, and I don't recommend it lol) which is saying something.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - PurpleReigns - 02-23-2015 10:57 AM

I kinda want to NBC to grab the lower levels and FA Cup. The Championship plays most midweeks and then have Friday and early Saturday games shown on NBCSN. Have the rest of the Live Extra and on the streaming service like the EPL.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - chiefsfan - 02-23-2015 11:21 AM

(02-23-2015 10:57 AM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  
(02-22-2015 06:20 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  This has been the strangest season. At time's we've looked awful out there, but we've done the double on Man Utd, and have wins over Southampton and Arsenal, and are sitting on 37 points in February.

I kinda want to NBC to grab the lower levels and FA Cup. The Championship plays most midweeks and then have Friday and early Saturday games shown on NBCSN. Have the rest of the Live Extra and on the streaming service like the EPL.

I think that will happen eventually. Especially if NBC continues to have ratings success, and as more recognizable teams to fans go down.

Even if NBCSN just picked up 1 game a round and put the rest on Live Extra, it would be preferable to those of us who are fans of non major PL clubs, who will always be worried about safety first and foremost.

Having watched some questionable streams for early FA cup rounds for Swansea, I'd rather not think about having to do it for a whole season.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - bearcatfan1211 - 02-23-2015 11:42 AM

(02-22-2015 11:08 PM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  I was thinking about it today, Afobe reminds me a lot of Charlie Austin. They are kinda fast, but not really fast, and they aren't really that great at anything. They just score goals

The problem we are running into with Charlie Austin is fitting him in to a formation. He is literally just a goal scorer and has to be on the field, but how do you do it? He isn't good enough to play as a lone striker because as you noted he isn't overly big nor overly athletic, and our midfield isn't good enough to play a 4-4-2.

Sidenote, Charlie Austin had a go at Joey Barton after the ball tap red card on Saturday. Barton apologized to the team and Austin's response to his in face: "You can only say sorry so many times before it becomes meaningless. You've cost us time and time again and we are better off with you on suspension." Yikes. Austin's comments are spot on, but not the kind of clubhouse turmoil you want in a relegation battle. QPR is off to Dubai for a week to train and hopefully things come together.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - chiefsfan - 02-23-2015 11:59 AM

A Group of West Ham fans are now in trouble for singing a disturbing Anti Semitic Song before the Tottenham match. Been a disturbing few days for London based clubs

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - PurpleReigns - 02-23-2015 12:11 PM

(02-23-2015 11:21 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(02-23-2015 10:57 AM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  
(02-22-2015 07:00 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Yeah, you're definitely safe with 37 points. That total through 38 games would've maintained safety in the past 3 seasons. That being said, there is no way you end with 37, you'll be closer to 50 I'm thinking.

I think that will happen eventually. Especially if NBC continues to have ratings success, and as more recognizable teams to fans go down.

Even if NBCSN just picked up 1 game a round and put the rest on Live Extra, it would be preferable to those of us who are fans of non major PL clubs, who will always be worried about safety first and foremost.

Having watched some questionable streams for early FA cup rounds for Swansea, I'd rather not think about having to do it for a whole season.

Are the lower leagues on 3 year TV deals like the EPL also? NBCSN (who is usually cheap but has no portfolio really) should splash the cash to outbid for EPL while also getting at least the Championship. More afternoon midweek content and the early Champ games start at 7-7:10 so they can do the post game wrap up and ease into their hour long kickoff show on Saturdays and Sundays.

Also the weeks with midweek features that doesn't fight with EPL would have 3-5 games on in the week. (Tues, Wed, and Fri-Sunday)

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - PurpleReigns - 02-23-2015 12:14 PM

Also if you're interested in how bad leagues on BeIN are check my thread about number of homes cable networks are in.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - DowdyPirate - 02-24-2015 03:56 PM

Wolves lead Fulham 3-nil at half. 2 goals from Sako