CSNbbs
OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread (/thread-698736.html)

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - chiefsfan - 07-09-2015 02:47 PM

Hammers win 4-0 on Aggregate. On to the 2nd round where they will face Malta (I seriously did not know Malta was in Europe until now) side Birkirkara. Two legged tie begins in London next Thursday.

OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - PurpleReigns - 07-09-2015 05:44 PM

Con needs to go the euro route and spread out the qualifying

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - BearcatMan - 07-09-2015 06:54 PM

Iker Casillas is reportedly being shipped to FC Porto...end of an era, and looks like De Gea will be moving as well.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - chiefsfan - 07-10-2015 01:20 AM

(07-09-2015 05:44 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  Con needs to go the euro route and spread out the qualifying

Exactly how would qualifying for the North American teams work when there is only three of us? That's the entire problem. Because North America is separate zonal wise from Central America and the Caribbean, and there are only 3 North American Countries, we all qualify automatically for the Gold Cup. No matter what Concacaf does to help the process, the US and Mexico always get the shaft because we will always have the calendar year without qualifying matches.

Europe is a different situation, its 54 teams for 24 spots. They have to have qualifying, and start it early to make it fair to everyone wanting to get into Euro's.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - fsquid - 07-10-2015 08:27 AM

Euro is different because you do your qualifying for the Euros and then the next 13 months after that, the World Cup. WC qualifying is being brought up a few months for Russia. I think the round that the US enters will start this fall instead of waiting until next summer.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - VA49er - 07-10-2015 08:38 AM

(07-09-2015 06:54 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Iker Casillas is reportedly being shipped to FC Porto...end of an era, and looks like De Gea will be moving as well.

It's a shame how RM fans treat their own players.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - VA49er - 07-10-2015 08:41 AM

Well, that Mexico/Cuba match was a laugh. Guess that happens when one player defects and 5 others and the coach miss the match due to not getting their visa situation straight.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - uhcoog27 - 07-10-2015 08:44 AM

I haven't posted much on this board since UH changed conferences. Just now seeing this thread. Huge Norwich City fan. Glad to have our boys back where they belong. Hopefully it's a lengthy stay. I'll try to chime in here from time-to-time.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - DefCONNOne - 07-10-2015 09:06 AM

(07-09-2015 05:44 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  Con needs to go the euro route and spread out the qualifying

"Con" is dead. He died when the USS Reliant exploded in the Mutara Nebula. I would've thought that news got to you by now.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - bearcatfan1211 - 07-10-2015 09:35 AM

(07-10-2015 08:44 AM)uhcoog27 Wrote:  I haven't posted much on this board since UH changed conferences. Just now seeing this thread. Huge Norwich City fan. Glad to have our boys back where they belong. Hopefully it's a lengthy stay. I'll try to chime in here from time-to-time.

Norwich??

Aren't all their fans in-breds with 4 teeth and 6 fingers per hand? 02-13-banana

Kidding aside, we've got quite the diverse group here. Lot's of clubs represented!

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - BearcatMan - 07-10-2015 11:16 AM

(07-10-2015 09:35 AM)bearcatfan1211 Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 08:44 AM)uhcoog27 Wrote:  I haven't posted much on this board since UH changed conferences. Just now seeing this thread. Huge Norwich City fan. Glad to have our boys back where they belong. Hopefully it's a lengthy stay. I'll try to chime in here from time-to-time.

Norwich??

Aren't all their fans in-breds with 4 teeth and 6 fingers per hand? 02-13-banana

Kidding aside, we've got quite the diverse group here. Lot's of clubs represented!

That said...I wouldn't mind a roll call honestly. I know off the top of my head we've got QPR, Soton, Chelsea, Spurs, Wolves, Norwich (greetings uhcoog), Everton, Liverpool, and Celtic. I'm pretty sure there's a Bundesliga fan on the board as well.

I personally have been a Celtic fan first since the team I played with in high school, The Internationals (in the late 90's they were Adidas Premier), did training rounds in the summer of every year with a group of European teams (Valencia, Marseille, Watford, Newcastle, and Celtic). They're fans were great, loved the atmosphere, and their jerseys, and it stuck from there. Now all I keep hoping for is their transition into the EPL, probably as a Championships side at first, but still...

Second team is Soton probably, though I just like watching them because they're an entertaining team, not because I'm particularly invested.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - DowdyPirate - 07-10-2015 11:23 AM

There's a dundee united fan too

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - BearcatMan - 07-10-2015 11:50 AM

(07-10-2015 11:23 AM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  There's a dundee united fan too

Oh yeah, I forgot about that unlucky sod, I can't complain though, they're basically Celtic's farm system 03-lmfao

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - fsquid - 07-10-2015 12:27 PM

Sheffield Wednesday here

Actually have made some signings that give me a hope of playoffs.

[Image: 19.jpg]

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - chiefsfan - 07-10-2015 01:47 PM

Do you run around in bright yellow and sing like a canary after every goal? Just wondering...

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - chiefsfan - 07-10-2015 01:48 PM

(07-10-2015 11:16 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Norwich??

That said...I wouldn't mind a roll call honestly. I know off the top of my head we've got QPR, Soton, Chelsea, Spurs, Wolves, Norwich (greetings uhcoog), Everton, Liverpool, and Celtic. I'm pretty sure there's a Bundesliga fan on the board as well.

I personally have been a Celtic fan first since the team I played with in high school, The Internationals (in the late 90's they were Adidas Premier), did training rounds in the summer of every year with a group of European teams (Valencia, Marseille, Watford, Newcastle, and Celtic). They're fans were great, loved the atmosphere, and their jerseys, and it stuck from there. Now all I keep hoping for is their transition into the EPL, probably as a Championships side at first, but still...

Second team is Soton probably, though I just like watching them because they're an entertaining team, not because I'm particularly invested.

Don't you dare leave my Swans out of this!

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - BearcatMan - 07-10-2015 02:12 PM

(07-10-2015 01:48 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Norwich??

Oh no....I'm ryally sorry man...I feyl like evyryone forgaets about y Welsh! 04-cheers 03-lmfao

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - chiefsfan - 07-10-2015 03:03 PM

(07-10-2015 02:12 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Norwich??

Oh no....I'm ryally sorry man...I feyl like evyryone forgaets about y Welsh! 04-cheers 03-lmfao

No kidding. I'm not even Welsh, but I feel like one sometimes with the amount Swansea gets disrespected globally.

We're finally starting to get rid of this "That team in Wales" image though. Hopefully it will be gone soon. We're a Mid level premier league team now. One that's fighting to play with the big boys.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - BearcatMan - 07-10-2015 03:30 PM

(07-10-2015 03:03 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 09:35 AM)bearcatfan1211 Wrote:  Norwich??

No kidding. I'm not even Welsh, but I feel like one sometimes with the amount Swansea gets disrespected globally.

We're finally starting to get rid of this "That team in Wales" image though. Hopefully it will be gone soon. We're a Mid level premier league team now. One that's fighting to play with the big boys.

Yep, that's the biggest reason why I would be in favor of Celtic biting the bullet and joining the League system at the Championship Level, just because I know they'd have the ability to be competing for Europa League in 3-4 years after that. Nice Stadium good club history and international respect, and a pretty damn solid team this coming year. Swansea/Cardiff really are the model for Celtic/Rangers, sacrifice a year to potentially be MUCH better off for the future...plus if Celtic were in the Premier League, Id' be able to watch them on something other than a laptop haha. What Swansea have done is incredibly admirable, and they've built a pretty solid brand too, they are no longer the Welsh team, and if they've got a run in them to make EL or CL qualifying EL, which I believe they do given their returning talent, they could start building a larger international fan interest.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - chiefsfan - 07-10-2015 03:45 PM

(07-10-2015 03:30 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 03:03 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 11:16 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  That said...I wouldn't mind a roll call honestly. I know off the top of my head we've got QPR, Soton, Chelsea, Spurs, Wolves, Norwich (greetings uhcoog), Everton, Liverpool, and Celtic. I'm pretty sure there's a Bundesliga fan on the board as well.

Yep, that's the biggest reason why I would be in favor of Celtic biting the bullet and joining the League system at the Championship Level, just because I know they'd have the ability to be competing for Europa League in 3-4 years after that. Nice Stadium good club history and international respect, and a pretty damn solid team this coming year. Swansea/Cardiff really are the model for Celtic/Rangers, sacrifice a year to potentially be MUCH better off for the future...plus if Celtic were in the Premier League, Id' be able to watch them on something other than a laptop haha. What Swansea have done is incredibly admirable, and they've built a pretty solid brand too, they are no longer the Welsh team, and if they've got a run in them to make EL or CL qualifying EL, which I believe they do given their returning talent, they could start building a larger international fan interest.

Oh it's amazing how far we've come. Just this summer we've managed to re-sign Monk and Shelvey, and have managed to hold onto ever single 1st team starter from last year, plus we've added 4 quality players to challenge players at our weakest positions. If that holds, and there's a long ways to go, we'll need simply a Center Back and a 3rd string Goalkeeper, and we'll be done.

The real big movement has been quiet though. We managed to get our U21's moved to Category 1 status this year for the first time ever, so instead of beating Huddersfield Town to win the title like we did last year, we're going to play the likes of Arsenal and West Brom, and some of the other Premier League U21's Considering the importance the FA places on home grown players, that may be the most important thing yet for us. It's where a portion of our Bony cash from January went. Money well spent.