CSNbbs
OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread (/thread-698736.html)

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - BearcatMan - 06-19-2015 04:46 PM

(06-19-2015 04:23 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  
(06-19-2015 02:56 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(06-19-2015 02:39 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  
(06-19-2015 02:22 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(06-19-2015 02:18 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  With Spurs signing Trippier out of Burnley today to be 2nd choice to Kyle Walker, Yedlin wasn't getting any playing time there either.

Yep and Townsend and Lamela look to have the wing stuffed up there for the next half decade, that's the unfortunate side of life. Kid's got to find a way out...would've been smart to end up at a Dutch or German club instead honestly.

Or Everton!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And be stuck behind Coleman and Mirallas for years? No better...he needed to go to a second tier team (Feyenoord, PSV, Hertha, Hoffenheim, etc) and develop while getting first team reps. He won't do that in the EPL.

Mirallas was in the doghouse and may be sold this summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fine...Lennon 04-cheers 03-lmfao

You get my point though, right? Players like Rubin, Brooks, Hyndman, etc. who went to smaller clubs to develop WHILE getting first team action made a better choice than someone like Yedlin who will either sit on a bench, play for a youth squad, or be loaned out every year until he's 24. Just not a good situation for young players who weren't brought up in the team's own academies.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - DowdyPirate - 06-19-2015 05:17 PM

(06-19-2015 01:09 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(06-19-2015 12:54 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Rumors out of England saying that Spurs are looking to send DeAndre Yedlin out on loan to Norwich City.

Their current RB, Whittaker, is the captain of their squad, so I'm guessing he'd be at the wing if he'd even get time on the pitch at all, which considering that Redmond has their right wing locked down, I'm assuming would be a weak possibility.

Whittaker is getting old

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - BearcatMan - 06-19-2015 05:41 PM

(06-19-2015 05:17 PM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  
(06-19-2015 12:54 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Rumors out of England saying that Spurs are looking to send DeAndre Yedlin out on loan to Norwich City.

Their current RB, Whittaker, is the captain of their squad, so I'm guessing he'd be at the wing if he'd even get time on the pitch at all, which considering that Redmond has their right wing locked down, I'm assuming would be a weak possibility.

Whittaker is getting old

Yep...if Norwich were buying Yedlin, I'd think it would make sense. Have a year or two to mentor behind a quality right back, then insert him into the starting lineup at 22 or 23, but loaning him to me just seems like injury insurance.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - DowdyPirate - 06-19-2015 06:45 PM

(06-19-2015 05:41 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(06-19-2015 05:17 PM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  

Whittaker is getting old

Yep...if Norwich were buying Yedlin, I'd think it would make sense. Have a year or two to mentor behind a quality right back, then insert him into the starting lineup at 22 or 23, but loaning him to me just seems like injury insurance.
I could see whittaker taking on a role as practice captain, and helping coach the young defenders. I just dont know if he'll hold up in the premier league anymore. That's basically what we did with Ricketts this year who is about the same age as Whittaker

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - SW UC - 06-19-2015 06:57 PM

(06-19-2015 02:26 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  
(06-19-2015 10:28 AM)SW UC Wrote:  
(06-18-2015 11:41 AM)Volkmar Wrote:  
(06-18-2015 09:46 AM)VA49er Wrote:  
(06-18-2015 09:08 AM)JustAnotherAustinOwl Wrote:  Both came at the end of what were, by all accounts I've read, horribly officiated games. Doesn't excuse it at all, of course. Dempsey's is much crazier from the video I've seen. If he gets banned for the GC, I can't really argue with it that much. I don't follow MLS too closely, but it seems like he had some other anger management incidents since going to Seattle.

I've been watching Copa America and have learned that South American soccer is physical as hell. Neymar acted inappropriately by all accounts; however, that's the team that damn near broke his back in the last WC. I think teams know he's a hothead and try and get under his skin. He acted pretty mature all season in La Liga but not so much in the Copa so far. Have to remind myself he's only 23 and being selected the captain of Brazil has to bring a ton of pressure. Anyway, I did find it amusing that the Chilian start Vidal got booked for a DUI but will keep playing anyway.

Well, La Liga's games are called a lot tighter than the Premier League, Bundesliga, and others. It's just not as physical there, and is much more of a finesse game. I really don't think he'd have survived a full season in England or Germany without getting hurt, or losing his temper at least a few times. He has the physique of an adolescent 7th grader and would get knocked around like a puppet there.

If small guys like Silva and Mata can flourish in the EPL than so can Neymar who is so much better than those 2. I'm a Real Madrid fan and I watch La Liga and it is a technical league however it can get quite physical. La Liga has quite a few South Americans defenders who are physical. There is no team as physical in Europe as Atletico Madrid, who are sometimes downright dirty. Pepe and Ramos love physical contact, a little too much in my opinion as they pick up unnecessary cards.

Neymar is much thinner than Silva and Mata. A couple years ago, Neymar almost looked anorexic. Yes, Atletico Madrid is an exception; there's always an exception. Doesn't prove anything though, and I also won't go so far as saying they're the most physical in all of Europe. But you're kidding yourself if you think that La Liga as a whole is as physical as the English and German leagues are. They never have been. Heck, you brought up Real Madrid. Real Madrid's own Gareth Bale even said the Premier League is more physical and quicker.

I never said that La Liga is more physical than EPL and Bundesliga. All I said its not all finesse. I will say that La Liga is the best league in the world and that the EPL is over hyped and overrated.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - VA49er - 06-19-2015 07:38 PM

(06-18-2015 09:46 AM)VA49er Wrote:  
(06-18-2015 09:08 AM)JustAnotherAustinOwl Wrote:  Both came at the end of what were, by all accounts I've read, horribly officiated games. Doesn't excuse it at all, of course. Dempsey's is much crazier from the video I've seen. If he gets banned for the GC, I can't really argue with it that much. I don't follow MLS too closely, but it seems like he had some other anger management incidents since going to Seattle.

I've been watching Copa America and have learned that South American soccer is physical as hell. Neymar acted inappropriately by all accounts; however, that's the team that damn near broke his back in the last WC. I think teams know he's a hothead and try and get under his skin. He acted pretty mature all season in La Liga but not so much in the Copa so far. Have to remind myself he's only 23 and being selected the captain of Brazil has to bring a ton of pressure. Anyway, I did find it amusing that the Chilian start Vidal got booked for a DUI but will keep playing anyway.

Well, La Liga's games are called a lot tighter than the Premier League, Bundesliga, and others. It's just not as physical there, and is much more of a finesse game. I really don't think he'd have survived a full season in England or Germany without getting hurt, or losing his temper at least a few times. He has the physique of an adolescent 7th grader and would get knocked around like a puppet there.

If small guys like Silva and Mata can flourish in the EPL than so can Neymar who is so much better than those 2. I'm a Real Madrid fan and I watch La Liga and it is a technical league however it can get quite physical. La Liga has quite a few South Americans defenders who are physical. There is no team as physical in Europe as Atletico Madrid, who are sometimes downright dirty. Pepe and Ramos love physical contact, a little too much in my opinion as they pick up unnecessary cards.

Neymar is much thinner than Silva and Mata. A couple years ago, Neymar almost looked anorexic. Yes, Atletico Madrid is an exception; there's always an exception. Doesn't prove anything though, and I also won't go so far as saying they're the most physical in all of Europe. But you're kidding yourself if you think that La Liga as a whole is as physical as the English and German leagues are. They never have been. Heck, you brought up Real Madrid. Real Madrid's own Gareth Bale even said the Premier League is more physical and quicker.

I think Angel Di Maria also said the EPL was more physical. I'm a Barca fan, so I watch mostly La Liga matches but also catch many early morning EPL matches as well. I enjoy both and need an EPL team to cheer for. I'm thinking Swansa City since apparently my lineage goes back to Wales. However, being the most physical league, etc isn't really an indication of a league being better.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - Volkmar - 06-19-2015 09:34 PM

(06-19-2015 06:57 PM)SW UC Wrote:  
(06-18-2015 09:46 AM)VA49er Wrote:  I've been watching Copa America and have learned that South American soccer is physical as hell. Neymar acted inappropriately by all accounts; however, that's the team that damn near broke his back in the last WC. I think teams know he's a hothead and try and get under his skin. He acted pretty mature all season in La Liga but not so much in the Copa so far. Have to remind myself he's only 23 and being selected the captain of Brazil has to bring a ton of pressure. Anyway, I did find it amusing that the Chilian start Vidal got booked for a DUI but will keep playing anyway.

I never said that La Liga is more physical than EPL and Bundesliga. All I said its not all finesse. I will say that La Liga is the best league in the world and that the EPL is over hyped and overrated.

Fair enough, but I didn't say it's all finesse either, so I'm not sure where that came from; I just said it's more of a finesse league than the others are. I agree with you on La Liga being the best in the world and that the EPL is over-hyped and overrated, especially in the last 3 years. I'm a Bundesliga fan, and though I think the Bundesliga is 3rd best in quality behind the other two, I'd even venture to say that the Bundesliga has been stronger than the EPL the last 3 or so years. The EPL has really dropped the ball lately.

Regarding the La Liga/EPL quality comparison, probably the best way to compare the quality of the leagues is to look at the results from the games in which La Liga and the EPL go head-to-head in CL and Europa League play. If my calculations are correct, in the last 3 years, La Liga's record against the EPL has been 9 wins, 1 loss, and 4 draws. That's complete dominance. Over the past 10 years, La Liga's record against the EPL has been 24 wins, 21 losses, and 22 draws. So it evens out quite a bit over the ten-year span, meaning the EPL had a slight advantage over the 7 years prior to the last three. It's probably a cycle between the two.

And while the Bundesliga is 3rd behind them both, I will say this about the Bundesliga... They're a financial model for all other leagues to follow, and every team is majority owned by the fans due to a 50+1 stipulation. The Bundesliga also has much stricter regulations regarding spending, which is why pretty much every team in the league is in the profit margin and financially stable. The stadiums are also full, and loud! So even though most German clubs have their hands tied as to how much they're allowed to spend on players, I can live with the league being 3rd best. Here's a great article about it, albeit dated (from 5 years ago)...

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5673975/success-germany-bundesliga

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - SW UC - 06-19-2015 11:25 PM

(06-19-2015 09:34 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  
(06-18-2015 11:41 AM)Volkmar Wrote:  Well, La Liga's games are called a lot tighter than the Premier League, Bundesliga, and others. It's just not as physical there, and is much more of a finesse game. I really don't think he'd have survived a full season in England or Germany without getting hurt, or losing his temper at least a few times. He has the physique of an adolescent 7th grader and would get knocked around like a puppet there.

Fair enough, but I didn't say it's all finesse either, so I'm not sure where that came from; I just said it's more of a finesse league than the others are. I agree with you on La Liga being the best in the world and that the EPL is over-hyped and overrated, especially in the last 3 years. I'm a Bundesliga fan, and though I think the Bundesliga is 3rd best in quality behind the other two, I'd even venture to say that the Bundesliga has been stronger than the EPL the last 3 or so years. The EPL has really dropped the ball lately.

Regarding the La Liga/EPL quality comparison, probably the best way to compare the quality of the leagues is to look at the results from the games in which La Liga and the EPL go head-to-head in CL and Europa League play. If my calculations are correct, in the last 3 years, La Liga's record against the EPL has been 9 wins, 1 loss, and 4 draws. That's complete dominance. Over the past 10 years, La Liga's record against the EPL has been 24 wins, 21 losses, and 22 draws. So it evens out quite a bit over the ten-year span, meaning the EPL had a slight advantage over the 7 years prior to the last three. It's probably a cycle between the two.

And while the Bundesliga is 3rd behind them both, I will say this about the Bundesliga... They're a financial model for all other leagues to follow, and every team is majority owned by the fans due to a 50+1 stipulation. The Bundesliga also has much stricter regulations regarding spending, which is why pretty much every team in the league is in the profit margin and financially stable. The stadiums are also full, and loud! So even though most German clubs have their hands tied as to how much they're allowed to spend on players, I can live with the league being 3rd best. Here's a great article about it, albeit dated (from 5 years ago)...

You make some great points in regards to the Bundesliga and its the most financially stable league in the world. Germany has a strong middle class and their fans have more disposable income than English or Spanish fans. Spain has gone through a horrific economic meltdown.

Many La Liga fans like myself respect the Bundesliga in that they develop world class players like La Liga. 2 years ago the Bundesliga was the best league in the world when Bayern Munich beat Dortmund in the CL Final, knocking out Barcelona and Real Madrid in the Semis. The Bundesliga and German National Team play a much more attractive style than they use to. They have added a skillful technical quality to their already strong physical style. I believe that USA soccer should follow the German model and I love that Klinsmann is our national team coach. Lastly I'm happy that the Fox Sports will be showing Bundesliga games this season.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - Volkmar - 06-20-2015 10:06 AM

(06-19-2015 11:25 PM)SW UC Wrote:  
(06-19-2015 09:34 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  
(06-19-2015 10:28 AM)SW UC Wrote:  If small guys like Silva and Mata can flourish in the EPL than so can Neymar who is so much better than those 2. I'm a Real Madrid fan and I watch La Liga and it is a technical league however it can get quite physical. La Liga has quite a few South Americans defenders who are physical. There is no team as physical in Europe as Atletico Madrid, who are sometimes downright dirty. Pepe and Ramos love physical contact, a little too much in my opinion as they pick up unnecessary cards.

You make some great points in regards to the Bundesliga and its the most financially stable league in the world. Germany has a strong middle class and their fans have more disposable income than English or Spanish fans. Spain has gone through a horrific economic meltdown.

Many La Liga fans like myself respect the Bundesliga in that they develop world class players like La Liga. 2 years ago the Bundesliga was the best league in the world when Bayern Munich beat Dortmund in the CL Final, knocking out Barcelona and Real Madrid in the Semis. The Bundesliga and German National Team play a much more attractive style than they use to. They have added a skillful technical quality to their already strong physical style. I believe that USA soccer should follow the German model and I love that Klinsmann is our national team coach. Lastly I'm happy that the Fox Sports will be showing Bundesliga games this season.

Thanks for the kind words, dude. Yeah, I'm looking forward to FS carrying the Bundesliga games also. First time in a couple years I'll be able to watch them (lol). I don't necessarily think the Bundesliga was the best league a couple years ago though. Yeah, Dortmund and Bayern both reached the Final, but I've never been a believer that just because the top two teams in a given year are both from one league, that it necessarily means the league is the best overall. I think that head-to-head meetings in CL and EL play over a period of time is probably the best way to tackle that question, and the order within the last ten years or so seems to be 1) La Liga, 2) EPL, 3) Bundesliga.

In the end, it doesn't really matter though which league is 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, as long as we all stay loyal to our teams and are able to enjoy the sport. Hopefully we'll also see some changes for the better in the sport now that Blatter is gone from FIFA. FIFA probably needs to be restructured as an organization as well though.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - Volkmar - 06-20-2015 06:05 PM

It's APPALLING how they set up the brackets for the Round of 16 at the Women's World Cup. The top 3 ranked teams are in the same bracket; Hell, 4 of the top 5 are actually in the same bracket. Germany got the short end of the stick...

Bracket 1
#16 China vs. #53 Cameroon
#2 USA vs. #28 Colombia

#1 Germany vs. #5 Sweden
#3 France vs. #18 Korea

Bracket 2
#7 Brazil vs. #10 Australia
#4 Japan vs. #12 Netherlands

#11 Norway vs. #6 England
#8 Canada vs. #19 Switzerland

Seriously, why the **** do you make #1 and #5 face each other right off the bat in the Round of 16 (and with the likelihood of facing #3 in the quarters) while #16 goes up against #53 and #8 faces #19 for example? They say it was done that way to help ticket sales, but it's ****** up to do it that way. You don't penalize top-ranked teams by making them play other top-ranked teams.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's how the Round of 16 should've looked if you match them up by ranking (which I believe is the fairest and most objective way to do it)...

Bracket 1
#1 Germany vs. #53 Cameroon
#8 Canada vs. #10 Australia

#4 Japan vs. #18 Korea
#5 Sweden vs. #16 China

Bracket 2
#2 USA vs. #28 Colombia (the only game they got right)
#7 Brazil vs. #11 Norway

#3 France vs. #19 Switzerland
#6 England vs. #12 Netherlands

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - PurpleReigns - 06-20-2015 06:22 PM

"The third-placed teams which advanced will be placed with the winners of groups A, B, C and D according to a table published in Section 28 of the tournament regulations." LINK

Thus these were locked in from the start:

#2 USA vs. #28 Colombia
#1 Germany vs. #5 Sweden

Which left:

#3 France
#6 England
#7 Brazil
#10 Australia
#11 Norway
#16 China
#18 Korea
#53 Cameroon

Now of course you can do the typical bracket style from there but since you have the locked in 4 matchups above why not just try to get the best available matchups in each round while keeping the US on the opposite side of Canada and Japan and hope for the final everyone wants to see (USA vs Japan) or the plan b (USA vs Canada).

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - Volkmar - 06-20-2015 06:47 PM

(06-20-2015 06:22 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  "The third-placed teams which advanced will be placed with the winners of groups A, B, C and D according to a table published in Section 28 of the tournament regulations." LINK

Thus these were locked in from the start:

#2 USA vs. #28 Colombia
#1 Germany vs. #5 Sweden

Which left:

#3 France
#6 England
#7 Brazil
#10 Australia
#11 Norway
#16 China
#18 Korea
#53 Cameroon

Now of course you can do the typical bracket style from there but since you have the locked in 4 matchups above why not just try to get the best available matchups in each round while keeping the US on the opposite side of Canada and Japan and hope for the final everyone wants to see (USA vs Japan) or the plan b (USA vs Canada).

1) Brackets should never be locked from the start or you'll end up with the kind of cluster**** we're seeing in Canada now where 4 of the top 5 ranked teams are all in one bracket, and #1 faces #5 right from the start while lightweights square up elsewhere.

2) I take issue with your assessment of the Final everyone wants to see (lol). I'm a proud US citizen but was born in Germany, lived there 13 of my first 17 years, and learned English as a 2nd language. So I pull for Germany first and the USA second in all sporting events. I obviously want to see Germany/USA, and I'd like to think that aside from those who pull for their own individual countries, most other fans of the sport would also like to see #1 vs. #2 (Germany vs. USA). Heck, both have won it twice, so there'd be no greater clash of titans from that angle either.

At any rate, I'm frustrated with the ridiculousness of it all, especially with Germany having to face a #5 team right off the bat, and the likelihood of facing the #3 team in the quarters. It makes zero sense to lock anything in!

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - chiefsfan - 06-20-2015 09:41 PM

I kind of want to see Germany in the final and I'm an American...lol.

The World Cup is what it is...it was designed so Canada would have an easier route to the finals as the host team.

OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - CalallenStang - 06-20-2015 10:17 PM

The problem stems from having 6 groups, so that to even have a round of 16 you have to have 4 third place teams (out of 6). That means that 4 group winners play third place teams, 2 group winners play 2nd place teams, and the remaining 4 2nd place teams play each other. You are going to have screwed up brackets by doing that.

They should do what the men have: 32 teams, 8 groups, top 2 advance, 1st and 2nd place from each group are placed in opposite brackets, and 1st place in each group plays 2nd place from another group.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - Volkmar - 06-20-2015 11:38 PM

(06-20-2015 10:17 PM)CalallenStang Wrote:  The problem stems from having 6 groups, so that to even have a round of 16 you have to have 4 third place teams (out of 6). That means that 4 group winners play third place teams, 2 group winners play 2nd place teams, and the remaining 4 2nd place teams play each other. You are going to have screwed up brackets by doing that.

They should do what the men have: 32 teams, 8 groups, top 2 advance, 1st and 2nd place from each group are placed in opposite brackets, and 1st place in each group plays 2nd place from another group.

Good point.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - chiefsfan - 06-21-2015 01:08 AM

(06-20-2015 10:17 PM)CalallenStang Wrote:  The problem stems from having 6 groups, so that to even have a round of 16 you have to have 4 third place teams (out of 6). That means that 4 group winners play third place teams, 2 group winners play 2nd place teams, and the remaining 4 2nd place teams play each other. You are going to have screwed up brackets by doing that.

We'll run into it in the Gold Cup this year as well. The Draw not only went against the US, but the knockout draw did as well. The way it was set up, two group winners would have to face each other in the Semis, while another could go straight to the finals playing runners up/3rd place teams. The US is the unlucky soul that not only has Panama and Honduras in its group, but if it survives its group, it likely has to go through Costa Rica just to get a shot at Mexico in the finals...

Copa America has same issue. Chile magically ended up with a beautiful draw which sees them never even leaving their main stadium if they keep winning. Meanwhile, Brazil, Colombia, and Argentina will have to knock each other out just to get a shot at Chile in the finals.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - chiefsfan - 06-21-2015 02:10 PM

Forget Brazil making the Women's World Cup Final, they were upset by Australia today in the round of 16. They will face the winner of Japan/Netherlands in the quarterfinals.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - BearcatMan - 06-21-2015 03:13 PM

(06-21-2015 02:10 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Forget Brazil making the Women's World Cup Final, they were upset by Australia today in the round of 16. They will face the winner of Japan/Netherlands in the quarterfinals.

The parity in women's international soccer is FINALLY coming around. 8 years ago that would've been a 6-0 game for Brazil.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - Bearcats#1 - 06-21-2015 05:08 PM

I would have liked a US/Germany final....too bad FIFA they screwed that up.

RE: OT: The NEW Official Soccer Thread - VA49er - 06-21-2015 06:04 PM

Well, in a group consisting of Brazil, Colombia, Peru, & Venezuela, who would have thought Peru would have advanced? Now Colombia has to hope Brail wins. Kind of sucks how CONMEBOL scheduled the Brazil/Venezuela match after Peru/Colombia. Both matches should have been played at the same time. Technically, all Brazil and Venezuela have to do is kick the ball around since they both advance via a draw.