CSNbbs
The Suburbs Made Us Fat - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: The Suburbs Made Us Fat (/thread-698407.html)

The Suburbs Made Us Fat - EverRespect - 08-14-2014 07:50 AM

People in dense cities are thinner and have healthier hearts than people in sprawling subdivisions. New research says the secret is in the patterns of the streets.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/08/blame-the-city/375888/

I call BS.
Any time I’m in NYC, I end up with congested lungs, burning eyes, and shortness of breath...

The suburbs, where no pools are found, no jogging paths, no TaeKwonDo classes, no soccer, certain no exercise is taking place. Right.

RE: The Suburbs Made Us Fat - Smaug - 08-14-2014 08:11 AM

I think it probably has something to do with time. More time spent commuting is less time spent doing anything else.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: The Suburbs Made Us Fat - vandiver49 - 08-14-2014 08:21 AM

Again, this is just another article trying to pump up urban living despite the fact that the reason for America's obesity problem is that we have increased access to food (save the rants about quality) and have to put in little work to obtain it. Combined with a general lack of self control and you have the crisis we see today.

RE: The Suburbs Made Us Fat - EverRespect - 08-14-2014 08:28 AM

(08-14-2014 08:21 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  Again, this is just another article trying to pump up urban living despite the fact that the reason for America's obesity problem is that we have increased access to food (save the rants about quality) and have to put in little work to obtain it. Combined with a general lack of self control and you have the crisis we see today.

I don't think the food is making us fat. I think it is the lack of activity. That part of the article I agree with, but the whole theory that it has to do with the street designs is ridiculous. I get a lot more exercise in the suburbs where I can run trails and in the safety of very little traffic. The difference, IMO, has to do with family patterns. City dwellers are very often singles. Suburbanites seem to virtually always be married or divorced. A lot of men and women pork out after getting married, because keeping up their body loses some of its pressing importance when they aren't trying to court partners anymore.

RE: The Suburbs Made Us Fat - CliftonAve - 08-14-2014 08:29 AM

The biggest factor, regardless of whether you live in the city, the burbs or out in the country, is poor diet and lack of physical activity/exercise. I have lived in all three environments. I have encountered morbidly obese people in each setting. I have met extremely healthy people in each setting.

I think the attack on the suburbs is a little unwarranted. People in the suburbs don’t walk to work, to the store, etc. but they have access to parks, hiking/biking trails, gyms and recreation centers, etc. They also have the financial ability to buy good food and take care of themselves. To me there are more unhealthy people in rural areas today than in suburbs (take a look at the family on the show Honey Boo Boo and that is what you encounter across this nation today). Those people don’t have access to the facilities that the people in the burbs have and are eating a lot unhealthier diets.

RE: The Suburbs Made Us Fat - AngryAphid - 08-14-2014 08:31 AM

(08-14-2014 08:21 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  Again, this is just another article trying to pump up urban living despite the fact that the reason for America's obesity problem is that we have increased access to food (save the rants about quality) and have to put in little work to obtain it. Combined with a general lack of self control and you have the crisis we see today.

This is true... unhealthy eating is easily accessible and remarkably affordable. I believe the
mother of invention is no longer necessity, but rather has become inspiration in the pursuit of convenience.

The Suburbs Made Us Fat - South Carolina Duke - 08-14-2014 08:37 AM

All good points above. We are lazy and overindulgent. Our kids play inside and no one has a garden to maintain or cuts their own grass (complete lack of movement).

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: The Suburbs Made Us Fat - DrTorch - 08-14-2014 12:49 PM

It's Ancel Keys' dishonest research. But even after clear proof, today's researchers won't own up to it, and keep pushing fraud.