CSNbbs
ESPN: Large Portion of P5 coaches favor a p5 only schedule - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: ESPN: Large Portion of P5 coaches favor a p5 only schedule (/thread-697593.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

ESPN: Large Portion of P5 coaches favor a p5 only schedule - pesik - 08-07-2014 09:41 AM

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11320309/majority-power-five-coaches-want-power-five-only-schedules

RE: ESPN: Most P5 coaches favor a p5 only schedule - NBPirate - 08-07-2014 09:48 AM

Some interesting quotes:

Even though Notre Dame has never played an FCS team and plays almost exclusively Power Five opponents already, Irish coach Brian Kelly said he would be against it if it meant no longer playing Navy.

Kelly said removing Navy from Notre Dame's schedule would be "a deal-breaker." Even with teams playing tougher schedules, Kelly said he doesn't favor teams with losing records playing in bowls.

North Carolina's Larry Fedora was against the idea because he said the non-Power Five league teams "can't survive without us. It would not be good for college football."

RE: ESPN: Most P5 coaches favor a p5 only schedule - The Knight Time - 08-07-2014 09:48 AM

I'd be in favor too if my narrative was always being punched in the face by "non P5" teams beating these supposed awesome P5 teams.

RE: ESPN: Most P5 coaches favor a p5 only schedule - NBPirate - 08-07-2014 09:50 AM

Is it just me or does Brett McMurphy WANT to see this happen. He acts like he hates the AAC et al.

RE: ESPN: Most P5 coaches favor a p5 only schedule - The Knight Time - 08-07-2014 09:53 AM

.....and even more incentive to beat these teams in OOC to make a statement.

RE: ESPN: Most P5 coaches favor a p5 only schedule - CyberBull - 08-07-2014 09:59 AM

Some of you guys scoffed at this idea when I posted it last week. It is something they have obviously talked about at some level and some coaches like Saban have outright advocated for P5 only schedules.

I have non idea if it will actually happen but as we are witnessing te last couple years it doesn't take long for new and often times exclusionary ideas to be floated by P5 power conferences to become mainstream and quickly implemented. see autonomy or open discussion regarding D4.

RE: ESPN: Most P5 coaches favor a p5 only schedule - NBPirate - 08-07-2014 10:01 AM

So do all the P5 teams buy out of all their OOC games for the next 10 years?

RE: ESPN: Most P5 coaches favor a p5 only schedule - CougarRed - 08-07-2014 10:05 AM

No way this ever happens. The power schools need as many home games as possible. And the power coaches need to keep their job longer.

RE: ESPN: Most P5 coaches favor a p5 only schedule - PGPirate - 08-07-2014 10:06 AM

I would like to see if the Miss St/Miss/Iowa St etc would fall in line or make a fuss. The only way they can get a decent record is to beat up on FCS/lower FBS teams.

RE: ESPN: Most P5 coaches favor a p5 only schedule - CougarRed - 08-07-2014 10:06 AM

(08-07-2014 09:48 AM)The Knight Time Wrote:  I'd be in favor too if my narrative was always being punched in the face by "non P5" teams beating these supposed awesome P5 teams.

No doubt. Will Muschamp's statements on this issue a year after losing to Georgia Southern are comedy gold.

RE: ESPN: Most P5 coaches favor a p5 only schedule - HHHERD - 08-07-2014 10:08 AM

Shocked to see Chris Peterson vote for it. So much for loyalty and love for his old school (Boise St.).

RE: ESPN: Most P5 coaches favor a p5 only schedule - PirateMarv - 08-07-2014 10:08 AM

I hope that they do it. It is only at that point that the administrators at those schools will see how stupid it is to take advice from football coaches when making business decisions. Hell half of those coaches would be fired within 3 years if the administrators took this stupid advice.

RE: ESPN: Most P5 coaches favor a p5 only schedule - invisiblehand - 08-07-2014 10:08 AM

Wasn't Charlie Weis losing to Rice a year or two ago? And having ND lose to Navy. These coaches are caniving crooks. Iowa state votes for it after having lost to us in a bowl game.

Why don't they just put a relegation system in already. Sorry Illinois. Sorry Kansas. Sorry Washington State. Sorry Half of the ACC. You're being replaced by UCF, Cincy, ECU, Houston, and before BB sunk Tulsa we would have gone up too.

RE: ESPN: Most P5 coaches favor a p5 only schedule - The Knight Time - 08-07-2014 10:10 AM

No one is more deserving to make these decisions than Iowa State!

03-phew

RE: ESPN: Most P5 coaches favor a p5 only schedule - latinflo - 08-07-2014 10:11 AM

(08-07-2014 09:50 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  Is it just me or does Brett McMurphy WANT to see this happen. He acts like he hates the AAC et al.

I AGREE!! He only covers the P5 and never puts up something positive about the AAC. Did he even cover the AAC media day? I don't think he said one word. He has to be ESPN's main mouth piece on pushing for the P5.

RE: ESPN: Most P5 coaches favor a p5 only schedule - NavyKnight - 08-07-2014 10:12 AM

I wonder who they would schedule on this P5 only deal? Alabama vs Purdue or Alabama vs. Ohio St.? If the best P5's just schedule the middle to bottom P5's what's the dang difference except to further push out the G5?

RE: ESPN: Most P5 coaches favor a p5 only schedule - The T-Shirt - 08-07-2014 10:12 AM

(08-07-2014 10:06 AM)PGPirate Wrote:  I would like to see if the Miss St/Miss/Iowa St etc would fall in line or make a fuss. The only way they can get a decent record is to beat up on FCS/lower FBS teams.

Hahaha think about a place like Wake Forest. They hardly get to bowls as is, if this goes through they may never sniff even close to a 500 record ever again! Hahahahaha!!!

RE: ESPN: Most P5 coaches favor a p5 only schedule - The Knight Time - 08-07-2014 10:13 AM

This will never happen, by the way, at least for a long while, unless these programs want to buy out and cancel all of the out-year OOC games that they've signed recently. There are tons and tons of agreements already in place.

RE: ESPN: Most P5 coaches favor a p5 only schedule - NBPirate - 08-07-2014 10:14 AM

How long before fans of schools that MIGHT win 3 or 4 games a year just stop going/watching. Then the head coach of the school that loses gets fired and ends up in the G5 not playing the P5.

RE: ESPN: Most P5 coaches favor a p5 only schedule - ECUGrad07 - 08-07-2014 10:14 AM

(08-07-2014 10:13 AM)The Knight Time Wrote:  This will never happen, by the way, at least for a long while, unless these programs want to buy out and cancel all of the out-year OOC games that they've signed recently. There are tons and tons of agreements already in place.

Exactly. We have an agreement with VT for every year for the next decade or so.

That would be very, very messy.