CSNbbs
Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC (/thread-697051.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC - ctipton - 08-02-2014 07:00 PM

Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC
By Bill Koch bkoch@enquirer.com 6:32 p.m. EDT August 2, 2014

[Image: ucarena4.jpg]
A shortage of fan amenities in the upper deck at Fifth Third Arena is among the biggest complaints about the facility. Enquirer file(Photo: Tony Jones, The Cincinnati Enquirer)

In the case of Fifth Third Arena, no news is not necessarily bad news.

While construction continues on the University of Cincinnati’s Nippert Stadium renovation, athletic director Mike Bohn now views 25-year-old Fifth Third Arena as his top priority and said the school is making progress toward finding a solution for improving a building that has become outdated.

“It’s important for our fans to understand the significance of this decision and the respect we’re giving it and the thoroughness that we’re providing to this process,” Bohn said. “Every piece of this decision is being scrutinized through and through. It’s probably not moving as fast as some would like, but that does not mean that we’re not making significant progress.

“It’s not as easy of a slam dunk or a layup as some would think. We want to get it right. This investment is one that will be with us as an asset for a long, long time, just like Nippert (Stadium) will be.”

For the record, Bohn said, UC has not made any decisions about its future men’s basketball venue. UC officials have not ruled out playing Downtown at U.S. Bank Arena, but at this point, Bohn said, no complete proposal has been made for them to consider.

In the meantime, Bohn is moving forward as he explores how best to renovate Fifth Third and how to pay for it.

“We recognize the benefits of being on campus more each day based on the transformation of the campus and this entire uptown area,” Bohn said.

Cronin said he’s confident that Bohn and other UC officials will come up with a solution.

“I think everybody agrees that we need to do it,” he said. “It’s going to be great for our program if we can get it done. It’s going to upgrade our fan experience, the quality not just of your seat, but the concessions, the bathrooms. In this day and age, we’re all competing for the entertainment dollar and there’s only so much of it to go around.”

The competition is even more intense in a major league city with four Division I basketball programs – UC, Xavier, Northern Kentucky and Miami – within about a 30-mile radius.

“Some people come just because they love UC and Bearcat basketball,” Cronin said. “But we’ve got to be able to get people to come also because we have a great venue with great amenities and they really enjoy the experience and therefore they want to come back. … I signed a new, seven-year contract, which I greatly appreciate. That tells you how confident I am that our administration will do whatever they have to do to get this done.”

The Enquirer reported in April that UC was considering a $40-million renovation plan that would reduce seating capacity from 13,176 to 10,000, widen concourses, improve restroom and concession access, and better utilize dead space while making the building a more intimate place for fans.

Bohn has detailed plans that would accomplish those objectives, but said he is not ready to share them until he has approval from UC president Santa Ono and the Board of Trustees.

The project has not yet been presented to the board, Bohn said, but he anticipates doing so in the near future.

“We do not have any type of announcement to make at this time as to where we are,” Bohn said. “However, there have been considerable efforts put together on all the data associated with the expense of a renovation, of what amenities are a priority for it, what is the time line of that, what would we do in the interim while it was under construction.”

Bohn estimated the cost of a Fifth Third renovation in the $40 million to $70 million range, depending on what the school settles on if it decides to move forward with the renovation rather than move Downtown. He said he did not yet know how the project would be funded.

One funding source that won’t be available is the sale of naming rights. The building was renamed from Shoemaker Center to its current name after Fifth Third Bank donated $10 million to UC’s Varsity Village project in 2003. That money has been paid in full, Bohn said, and the contract calls for the bank to keep its name on the arena through 2026.

“They don’t owe us any more money,” Bohn said, “but we owe them 12 more years of naming rights.”

A renovation of Fifth Third Arena could mean that the Bearcats would have to play somewhere else for at least one season and Bohn said he is exploring his options in case that happens.

“Whatever happens we’ll make the best of it,” Cronin said. “I’ve been long-term in everything I’ve done since I’ve been the coach. If that has to happen, it has to happen.”

Bohn’s first look at Fifth Third Arena was on Feb. 6, hours after he was introduced as UC’s new athletic director. He loved the atmosphere as he watched the Bearcats beat eventual national champion Connecticut, 63-58, before a near-sellout crowd of 12,432.

“Clearly when the students and fan base create that environment, it’s a competitive advantage for us,” Bohn said. “That was really exciting to see.”

But it didn’t take long for him to recognize the arena’s shortcomings and reach the conclusion that finding a way to fix it must be one of his primary objectives. Among other things, he noticed a shortage of fan amenities such as restrooms and concession stands for fans in the upper deck, which seats 6,000.

“The other thing is the overall entrance into the building and the fan experience for fans not being able to circulate within the building,” Bohn said. “You’re either on one side or you’re on the other.

“The concourses on the end are small and tight and are hallways rather than true, open concourses. There’s an opportunity there. We have limited hospitality areas for our premium seat holders. Our seats don’t have arm rests and an optimum experience to sit in.”

And yes, he was bothered by the dead spaces in the corners on the first level, calling them a lost opportunity. While he explores options for a complete renovation of the arena, he is looking for ways to improve it in the short-term so that fans will notice a difference in the 2014-15 season.

“They’re not significant, but they’ll be noticeable as far as our gameday environment and our fan experience,” Bohn said. “We’re not going to wait until the (renovation) project is in the implementation stage. We have a lot of work to do to try to address some of the intimacy opportunities, the hospitality opportunities, and take advantage of those that we’re currently not taking advantage of.”

Bohn mentioned additional seating, hospitality pieces and even a band loft as possibilities for some of that under-utilized space.

“The last thing we would like to do is to portray (Fifth Third Arena) as not functional,” Bohn said. “It creates a great gameday atmosphere. However, we recognize that after 25 years, just like you would if you were in any business, you’ve got to make improvements to continue to drive the donor base, the fan base and recruiting.”

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/university-of-cincinnati/2014/08/02/uc-bearcats-arena/13522261/

RE: Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC - mac6115cd - 08-02-2014 08:17 PM

I'm all for renovating 5th3rd rather than moving downtown. You need to keep as much on campus as possible.

RE: Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC - Bearcats#1 - 08-02-2014 09:09 PM

sounds good...let's do it.

UC needs a T Boone Pickens

RE: Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC - eastside cat - 08-03-2014 05:00 AM

I am for staying on campus.

RE: Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC - rosewater - 08-03-2014 07:37 AM

(08-03-2014 05:00 AM)eastside cat Wrote:  I am for staying on campus.

Me too. Too many bus trips downtown and to the gardens. Bleh

RE: Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC - bearcatmark - 08-03-2014 08:35 AM

I still think priority 1 is entry into a bcs conference, but this should get done too.

RE: Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC - bearcatlawjd - 08-03-2014 09:23 AM

(08-03-2014 08:35 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  I still think priority 1 is entry into a bcs conference, but this should get done too.

You can't control conference realignment but you can control facility upgrades, renovations, and other in house projects.

I am all for keeping the Cats on campus but at the same time wish downtown Cincinnati would receive a new arena. In a perfect world UC would be in a power conference and there would be two new arenas for the Bearcats to play in. Right now I say renovate 5/3rd, it is the best move for the athletes, students, alumni, and hardcore fans. A smaller arena that is filled to capacity would create a great atmosphere. The trend in sports should be to build smaller stadiums and arenas that meet the needs of the athletes while providing fan comfort. If all we care about is capacity then we could cram a few more people on our current bleachers seats. That model died when HDTV, computers, tablets, and phones became the primary outlet to follow a team. Revenue isn't completely tied to tickets sold.

RE: Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC - Captain Bearcat - 08-03-2014 11:37 AM

I don't like this article. It gives the impression that UC's biggest priority is a basketball arena. By not mentioning the other priorities on campus, the article gives the impression that Bohn decides UC's priorities, and that UC's next order of business is to fix the basketball situation.

However, I would argue that our biggest priority is new business and law schools. While It's slightly interesting that an arena is Bohn's top priority, he's far from the most powerful person when it comes to deciding UC's fundraising and spending priorities.

RE: Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC - lazyeyep22 - 08-03-2014 12:50 PM

(08-03-2014 11:37 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  I don't like this article. It gives the impression that UC's biggest priority is a basketball arena. By not mentioning the other priorities on campus, the article gives the impression that Bohn decides UC's priorities, and that UC's next order of business is to fix the basketball situation.

However, I would argue that our biggest priority is new business and law schools. While It's slightly interesting that an arena is Bohn's top priority, he's far from the most powerful person when it comes to deciding UC's fundraising and spending priorities.

Nowhere in the article does it say that a new/upgraded arena is UC's biggest priority. The headline clearly states it is the AD's top priority. Why would the athletic director have non-athletic priorities?

RE: Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC - bearcats23 - 08-03-2014 01:00 PM

(08-03-2014 11:37 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  I don't like this article. It gives the impression that UC's biggest priority is a basketball arena. By not mentioning the other priorities on campus, the article gives the impression that Bohn decides UC's priorities, and that UC's next order of business is to fix the basketball situation.

Clearly this article is talking about UC athletics and not the university as a whole.

RE: Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC - BearcatJerry - 08-03-2014 05:09 PM

Ummm.... Bohn is the Athletic Director... His job necessarily is concerned with the University's ATHLETIC infrastructure and personnel.

RE: Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC - OneUChoopsfan - 12-11-2014 01:37 PM

Thought you all might enjoy reading how the other half lives.

Design plans to renovate Assembly Hall approved
December 7, 2014

The Indiana University board of trustees has approved design plans for the renovation of 43-year-old Assembly Hall, clearing way for construction to begin April 1.

The project is expected to be completed for the 2016-17 basketball season, the Herald-Times reported. The board approved plans for the $35 million renovation during a meeting Friday at IU Southeast in New Albany.

The design calls for the south lobby to have a glass wall for a view onto the court as well as interactive displays where fans can learn about past Indiana University athletes. The arena also will have an event suite that can fit 275 people and box seating for 112 in groups of six. The box seats will have TV monitors on the railings in front of them that architect James Schellinger says won't block the view.

Outside of the south lobby will be a plaza area replacing the current circle driveway. The plaza will have green space and connect Assembly Hall to neighboring Cook Hall.

The trustees previously approved renovations to IU's basketball arena at their June meeting after a $40 million donation from Indianapolis philanthropist Cindy Simon Skjodt, the daughter of late Indiana Pacers co-owner and shopping mall magnate Melvin Simon, last December. The donation is part of an ongoing $150 million athletics capital projects campaign.

IU vice president for capital planning and facilities Tom Morrison says renovations to restrooms and other high-traffic areas will likely be done in the off season. The facility will be under construction for the 2015-16 basketball season.

He says the plan calls for two escalators to be added to the north lobby, which will help with congestion while the south lobby is closed.

Morrison says decisions about upgrading the seating are still to be made.

The building will be re-named Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall.

http://www.ibj.com/articles/50825-design-plans-to-renovate-assembly-hall-approved
--------------------------------------------------------------

The Cooks and the Simons among others have donated huge amounts of money to IU.

Often, the key to (significant) sports $$ donations seems to be 1st & 2nd generation billionaires.

Cincinnati has money, but much of it is many generations old and much diluted.

Oh well. We can dream.

RE: Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC - BearcatBeta - 12-11-2014 02:03 PM

for that big a donation. everyone will learn how to pronounce Skjodt....(scott)

RE: Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC - SuperFlyBCat - 12-11-2014 02:29 PM

Cronin and Bohn pretty much echoed what I have posted so many times here. Can't wait to see renderings sometime hopefully soon.

RE: Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC - Coopdaddy67 - 12-11-2014 02:36 PM

1. It's in the sports section and from the AD's perspective.

2. I couldn't care less about the business or law schools getting upgrades. The business school is fine, although improved seating would be nice. Too many times I'd walk out of the classroom with a sore ass. And no, it wasn't due to the exams given. 03-nerner

RE: Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC - dossbig - 12-11-2014 03:39 PM

Top Priority should be getting out of the AAC!

RE: Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC - BeerCat - 12-11-2014 03:45 PM

When will I be walking into a renovated 5/3? 5-6 years?

Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC - True Bearcat - 12-11-2014 04:04 PM

(12-11-2014 03:39 PM)dossbig Wrote:  Top Priority should be getting out of the AAC!

Renovating 5/3 will help in that!

RE: Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC - Captain Bearcat - 12-11-2014 04:10 PM

(08-02-2014 09:09 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  sounds good...let's do it.

UC needs a T Boone Pickens

UC has had many T Boone Pickenses over the years. Charles McMicken, the Gamble family, and the Lindners are some that come to mind. They didn't quite match the $500 million that Pickens has given to OSU, but our total donations have been far, far ahead of Oklahoma State's.

RE: Arena is now Bohn’s top priority for UC - ucnaticat - 12-11-2014 08:48 PM

(12-11-2014 03:45 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  When will I be walking into a renovated 5/3? 5-6 years?