CSNbbs
Reds at Marlins - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: Reds at Marlins (/thread-696774.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Reds at Marlins - ctipton - 07-31-2014 06:08 AM

Cueto tries to solve Marlins as Reds head south
Cincy's ace, who hasn't fared well against Miami, opposes Koehler

By Eric Bacharach / MLB.com | 7/30/2014 4:44 PM ET

Reds ace Johnny Cueto has been one of the National League's best starters, but in his career, he's struggled against the red-hot Marlins, whom he'll face in Thursday night's series opener at Marlins Park.

Despite being 2-1, Cueto has posted a 5.27 ERA against Miami in five starts. In his lone start at Marlins Park on Sept. 15, 2012, he gave up six runs on nine hits in 4 1/3 innings, taking the loss.

Cueto, who was elected by the players to his first All-Star team, has posted numbers that indicate he is poised to buck that trend. The right-hander leads the NL in innings (155 2/3) and opponents' batting average (.184) while ranking second in strikeouts (157) and third in ERA (2.08).

He was stellar in his last start, tossing seven strong innings in Cincinnati's 1-0 victory over the Nationals on Saturday. He allowed four hits, walked three and struck out nine.

"Early in the game, the humidity was beating him up, but boy, when we took that lead, it was like a whole different guy out there," Reds manager Bryan Price said of Cueto.

"I started to breathe more deeply, and I was just slowing down a little more, and I was painting the ball where I wanted," Cueto said. "I was throwing the pitches where I wanted, and it gave me the aggressiveness that I wanted."

But the streaking Marlins, who are 9-2 over their last 11, will be a tough assignment for Cueto.

Tom Koehler, who will oppose Cueto, has pitched a lot better in July than his numbers indicate. Over his last three starts since a three-inning, seven-run outing July 7, he's scattered seven earned runs over 18 innings and the Marlins have gone 3-2 behind him.

If it weren't for that seven-run performance in Arizona, he'd have a 2.63 July ERA.

In his last outing Saturday in Houston, he struggled a bit, and got touched up for three runs on nine hits in five innings. He'll need to limit early damage done against him if he's going to give the Marlins a chance to continue their strong stretch.

"The way we're playing, who knows what's going to happen," Koehler said. "So it's good just keeping it close within striking distance and I feel pretty good about how I've been playing right now."

Marlins: Atmosphere hasn't changed despite streak

Since July 20, Miami's pitchers have a Majors-best 2.50 ERA (25 earned runs in 90 innings) and have held opponents to a .214 average in that span entering Wednesday.

But its hitting has improved, too. In June, the team was the fifth-worst in baseball with a .234 batting average. July has seen the Marlins climb up the ranks with a .259 average (sixth in the NL). In their last 10 games, the Marlins have outscored their opponents, 39-27.

They've also managed to figure out the road woes that plagued them earlier. And they've been playing better at home, hitting .262/.318/.384 with 31 runs in eight July games.

Despite the club being on its best streak of the season, Koehler said the atmosphere in the clubhouse hasn't changed much.

"Truthfully, the clubhouse isn't much different," he said. "It's a lot of high-character guys and we all know what we're playing for. We've been playing hard all year and it just so happens now that we're on the good side of those games instead of losing. We were losing those games by one or two runs, battling back every night. Now we're winning them. You feel a little bit better because you got the 'W,' but these guys have stuck together all year and I anticipate that's how it'll be from here on out."

Reds: Price expects club to be buyers at Deadline

When the Reds started their nosedive coming out of the All-Star break, speculation increased over whether the club could pivot from being buyers to sellers before Thursday's 4 p.m. ET non-waiver Trade Deadline.

When asked which way the team was leaning Wednesday morning, Reds manager Bryan Price was pretty emphatic the team and general manager Walt Jocketty still fell in the buyer category.

"I think we're looking to get better. I don't think there is any question about that," Price said. "I don't see us as a team that's looking to 2015. The way we've played and the way we've battled through the year and stayed competitive and stayed in this thing, knowing there's a chance we're going to get Brandon [Phillips] and Joey [Votto] back, that we've got a bunch of guys here that fight and are gamers, I don't think there's any reason to lose optimism that we can stay in this thing and start to get ourselves closer to the top -- where we were right before the break."

Worth noting

• The Marlins have dropped their last five games to the Reds dating back to 2012. The Reds have won seven of the last eight meetings and are 3-0 at Marlins Park with the roof open and 1-2 with the roof closed.

• Cueto has allowed 10 of his 34 earned runs in two starts, a 9-4 loss on May 20 at Washington (5 1/3 innings, six earned runs) and an 8-0 loss on June 6 vs. Philadelphia (five innings, four earned runs). His ERA in his other 20 starts is 1.61 (145 1/3 innings, 26 earned runs allowed).

• In his 22 appearances, Cueto has produced a staff-high 19 quality starts.

• Wednesday marked the fourth time this season that Jay Bruce, who's on the bereavement list, and the injured Votto and Phillips were all out of Cincinnati's lineup.

Eric Bacharach is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2014_07_31_cinmlb_miamlb_1&mode=preview&vkey=preview_web_away&c_id=cin

RE: Reds at Marlins - ctipton - 07-31-2014 06:12 AM

Frazier close to joining 20-20 club

By Mark Sheldon and Manny Randhawa / MLB.com | 7/30/2014 12:40 P.M. ET

CINCINNATI -- Coming into this season, Todd Frazier had 10 career stolen bases. In the sixth inning of Tuesday's 3-0 Reds win over the D-backs at Great American Ball Park, Frazier stole his 16th base of the season in 21 attempts.

With four more steals, Frazier -- who entered Wednesday's series finale with Arizona with 20 home runs -- would become the third Reds third baseman to hit 20 homers and steal 20 bases in the same season, joining Chris Sabo (25 homers, 25 stolen bases in 1990) and Aaron Boone (26 homers, 32 stolen bases in 2002).

"It's pretty cool. I was really fast when I was younger, and as I got older, the weight's kicked in and a couple of root beers," Frazier said. "I don't know; I've always thought of myself as a good baserunner.

"You've got to have confidence in whatever you do. I got the green light there and I've been working on it a lot. I have to give credit to [catching coordinator] Mike Stefanski. He's spending tireless hours in there trying to help me out about what times are good to go, because I kind of have a walking lead sometimes, so when to time that out."

Frazier emphasized the importance of being able to steal a base in an opportune situation, particularly with the offense struggling the way it has been recently.

"When you've got one run, you want two and you keep adding on like that," he said. "Whether it's subtle or a big inning, it helps. We're up 2-0, the next thing you know a runner gets on, now more pressure's back on us. So whatever we can get. We can manufacture with the best of them. We just have to keep doing it."

Price feels Reds will be buyers at Trade Deadline

CINCINNATI -- When the Reds started their nosedive coming out of the All-Star break, speculation increased over whether the club could pivot from being buyers to sellers before Thursday's 4 p.m. ET non-waiver Trade Deadline.

When asked which way the team was leaning Wednesday morning, Reds manager Bryan Price was pretty emphatic the team and general manager Walt Jocketty still fell in the buyer category.

"I think we're looking to get better. I don't think there is any question about that," Price said. "I don't see us as a team that's looking to 2015. The way we've played and the way we've battled through the year and stayed competitive and stayed in this thing, knowing there's a chance we're going to get Brandon [Phillips] and Joey [Votto] back, that we've got a bunch of guys here that fight and are gamers, I don't think there's any reason to lose optimism that we can stay in this thing and start to get ourselves closer to the top -- where we were right before the break."

Cincinnati had closed the gap behind first-place Milwaukee to 1 1/2 games out in the National League Central before the team lost its first seven games and nine of 10 after the break. Following a Reds win and Brewers loss on Tuesday, the distance was five games.

Jocketty has largely been out of sight since returning from a weekend trip to Cooperstown, N.Y., for the Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

"He's working the phones, I know that. He's trying to get us better," Price said. "I think a lot of the times, as we've seen so far this July, it really does boil down to these last 24-48 hours before things fire up. Sometimes at the end of July, there's a big bang and other times there is more of a thud and things happen in August."

The Reds have made only two Deadline additions in Jocketty's tenure. Third baseman Scott Rolen was acquired from the Blue Jays in 2009 and reliever Jonathan Broxton came over from the Royals in 2012.

Price seemed to enjoy the general Trade Deadline scuttlebutt, but didn't think any of it affected players in the clubhouse too greatly.

"The great thing about baseball this time of year is it's always exciting. If you're not in contention, you're wondering if maybe you're going to find some pieces for your future. If you're in contention, you're seeing if there's something out there that can help your club for the last two months. Just as a baseball fan, anybody would be interested in what's going on.

"Sometimes you'll hear somebody's name as a possibility of being traded. I think that can create some anxiety. With this bunch, I haven't heard names or buzz that are on the block or something."

Price was reminded that a few managers have been traded over the years -- like John Farrell, Ozzie Guillen and Lou Piniella, although none at the Deadline.

"My palms are starting to sweat," Price joked.

Worth noting

Reliever Logan Ondrusek, on the disabled list with a strained right shoulder, will remain in Cincinnati during the upcoming six-game road trip. Ondrusek, who resumed playing catch Tuesday, is expected to continue his throwing program without leaving town.

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, Mark My Word, and follow him on Twitter @m_sheldon. Manny Randhawa is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

RE: Reds at Marlins - Coopdaddy67 - 07-31-2014 08:48 AM

I'm just going to use this thread as a continuation of the trade deadline as it relates to the Reds.

Lester has apparently been traded to a team on the west coast per Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (LA, Oakland or Seattle?). Given that, the Reds should be asking for every other clubs' best offer for the pitchers on the Reds' roster. This is a seller's market, please take advantage of it.

Also, I saw the report that Ludwick is on the trade block and laughed. Somebody please take his salary.

RE: Reds at Marlins - Bearcat Otto - 07-31-2014 09:15 AM

Lester and Gomes to Oakland for Cespedes.

RE: Reds at Marlins - Coopdaddy67 - 07-31-2014 09:26 AM

That's a really weird deal for Boston IMO. I guess they feel like they can compete next season and preferred the MLB player in return. Easier for Boston to make that sort of move because they have the money to go out and add pieces every year if they want though.

Seems to make a ton of sense for Oakland. They have to be the clear WS favorites now.

RE: Reds at Marlins - InspectorHound - 07-31-2014 10:28 AM

The Red Sox get a top-5 left fielder for Jon freaking Lester. Think Walt ever made a phone call to offer Cueto?

RE: Reds at Marlins - Coopdaddy67 - 07-31-2014 11:03 AM

In what world is Cespedes a top five LFer? He may be the most overrated guy on the planet. He had a solid rookie season, then followed it up with a blah 2013. This year he's batting .260 with an OBP just a tick above .300.

Also, Cueto is about a billion times more valuable than Lester.

RE: Reds at Marlins - Bearcat04 - 07-31-2014 12:57 PM

Jayson Stark @jaysonst
Not only are #Reds not buying. Other teams say they've dangled Mat Latos. Looking for big return of course

It sounds like David Price is definitely going to be moved by the deadline. Pittsburgh?

Great tweet...

River Cats @RiverCats
Everybody in baseball is being traded and ESPN has spent the last 15 mins on Ray Rice.

RE: Reds at Marlins - Coopdaddy67 - 07-31-2014 01:10 PM

The thing the Reds have going for them is that all their valuables are not rent-a-players. Teams are getting desperate, so make them pay with top tier prospects. :)

Don't be surprised if the Reds trade away a starting pitcher or two after the season if they can't find any takers today.

RE: Reds at Marlins - Bearhawkeye - 07-31-2014 01:31 PM

(07-31-2014 12:57 PM)Bearcat04 Wrote:  Jayson Stark @jaysonst
Not only are #Reds not buying. Other teams say they've dangled Mat Latos. Looking for big return of course

It sounds like David Price is definitely going to be moved by the deadline. Pittsburgh?

Great tweet...

River Cats @RiverCats
Everybody in baseball is being traded and ESPN has spent the last 15 mins on Ray Rice.

Makes me wonder what's going on and how the communication is with the Reds given Price expects the Reds to be buying per the article.

RE: Reds at Marlins - Tomcat - 07-31-2014 02:56 PM

(07-31-2014 01:31 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(07-31-2014 12:57 PM)Bearcat04 Wrote:  Jayson Stark @jaysonst

Great tweet...

River Cats @RiverCats

Makes me wonder what's going on and how the communication is with the Reds given Price expects the Reds to be buying per the article.

Someone nudge Walt and wake him up and turn out the lights!

RE: Reds at Marlins - Bearcat04 - 07-31-2014 03:01 PM

Wow... A's go all in this year and they still might not be able to get past the Tigers!

It'll be interesting to see the names in this trade.

RE: Reds at Marlins - Coopdaddy67 - 07-31-2014 08:23 PM

That's easily the worst rule in baseball. Get rid of it.

Rose must be sick to his stomach when he sees plays like that.

RE: Reds at Marlins - Billy_Bearcat - 07-31-2014 09:46 PM

(07-31-2014 08:23 PM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  That's easily the worst rule in baseball. Get rid of it.

Rose must be sick to his stomach when he sees plays like that.

Bud Ball

RE: Reds at Marlins - ctipton - 07-31-2014 11:17 PM

Fay: Is Reds' non-move a good move? We'll see in 2015
John Fay, jfay@enquirer.com 7:45 p.m. EDT July 31, 2014

[Image: 1405347703000-005PRICE-PRESSER.JPG]
Reds President of Baseball Operations and General Manager Walt Jocketty with manager Bryan Price in October.(Photo: Enquirer file)

Thursday's non-waiver trade deadline passed without the Reds making a trade. They'll tell you that they still have hope get back in the race this year. They started the day 4 1/2 games out of the Wild Card. They'll tell you that they tried to add offense, but there were no fits.

It's true that they are within a good streak of getting back into the race. And, unless Albert Pujols circa 2005 was available, it's hard to imagine someone to turn around this offense was out there.

But what standing pat really means -- at least in one man's opinion -- is the Reds think this team is close enough to make a run in 2015 with the current rotation. The rotation is undoubtedly the strength of this team. But four of the five starters -- Johnny Cueto, Mat Latos, Mike Leake and Alfredo Simon -- all are potential free agents in 2016. It's impossible to imagine the Reds signing all four beyond 2015.

If the Reds thought this club needed a major overhaul, trading one or more of the four would have brought a lot in terms of offense.

The first trade of the day -- Boston sending Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes -- told you how much starting pitching will bring. Cespedes is premium right-handed bat and good defensively. Lester is a free agent after this season. Cueto, Latos, Leake and Simon are under control through 2015.

But no matter how well rotation pitches the rest of this year and in 2015, it's going to be impossible to win with the kind of offense the Reds have been getting, which is to say about no offense at all.

Going into Thursday, the Reds had scored a total of 24 runs in the 12 games since the All-Star Break. Only Devin Mesoraco's ninth-inning, two-out homer Wednesday kept them from going 12 straight games in which they scored three runs or fewer. That had not happened since 1948.

The Reds presumably had a chance to address the offense. The names that they have been linked to -- Ben Zobrist of Tampa Bay, Alex Rios of Texas, Marlon Byrd of Philadelphia, Daniel Murphy of the New York Mets -- all were not traded.

I've said all along that I didn't think any of the aforementioned players could turn around this offense.

So how are the Reds planning to score enough to win in 2015? The biggest thing is they're banking that Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips will not miss as much time as they have this season.

I also think the Reds will tweak the offense in offseason. Maybe even splurge on a short-term fix in left field.

But the fact that they reportedly "dangled" Latos means they may have looked in the other direction -- adding a big-time prospect.

You make an argument that the offense needed that kind youthful influx of talent.

The Reds chose to hold on to Latos and Co. Sound strategy? We'll know in 20

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2014/07/31/john-fay-reds-pass-trade-strategy-2015/13437705/

RE: Reds at Marlins - ctipton - 07-31-2014 11:33 PM

Reds rally in eighth to top Marlins
C. Trent Rosecrans, crosecrans@enquirer.com 12:03 a.m. EDT August 1, 2014

[Image: 1406857218000-USATSI-8008361.jpg]
Cincinnati Reds starting pitcher Johnny Cueto (47) holds the rosin bag as Miami Marlins right fielder Giancarlo Stanton (27) rounds the bases after hitting a solo home run during the first inning at Marlins Ballpark.(Photo: Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports)

MIAMI -- The Reds played in Miami, but they won in New York.

The replay officials there ruled Zack Cozart safe with the tying run in the eighth inning, and Ryan Ludwick followed with a two-run single to give the Reds a 3-1 victory over the Marlins on Thursday.

After being thrown out at the plate easily by Marlins right fielder Giancarlo Stanton, Cozart was called safe due to Rule 7.13, which doesn't allow catchers to block the plate. Cozart and Reds manager Bryan Price immediately argued that catcher Jeff Mathis didn't give Cozart the required path to the plate. And after six minutes and 10 seconds, the replay officials agreed.

"I put my head down to run – and then as I'm looking up, I can tell right away that he's in front of the play and the ball wasn't even close to being there," Cozart said. "In my view and the way I interpret the rule, that was wrong. I didn't really know what to do, because he was in front of the plate. Running him over, I just, it was an awkward thing to not be able to slide, but I had a good idea the call would get overturned."

Reds agree with call, if not Rule 7.13

MLB released a statement in light of the call: "We have begun to examine the Crew Chief Review in tonight's Reds-Marlins game, which resulted in a violation of Rule 7.13, the call being overturned and a run scoring on the play. We plan to discuss this situation further with the appropriate parties tomorrow, and we will communicate with the Clubs after our discussion about this play."

Instead of being down a run with three outs left, the Reds had new life, with runners on the corners, two outs and Ludwick at the plate. After Billy Hamilton stole second without a throw, Ludwick singled up the middle to give the Reds a 3-1 lead.

That was enough for the bullpen, as Jonathan Broxton and Aroldis Chapman came in to finish off the Marlins.

It wasn't the prettiest of victories, but the Reds, losers of 10 of 12 after the All-Star break, aren't in position to get hung up on appearances.

Stanton gave the Marlins the 1-0 lead when he lined a shot into the bullpen in left field in the first inning for his 25th home run of the season.

[Image: 1406863546004-USATSI-8008607.jpg]
Cincinnati Reds shortstop Zack Cozart (2) is tagged out by Miami Marlins catcher Jeff Mathis (6) at home plate during the eighth inning at Marlins Ballpark. Cozart's play at home plate was overturned from catcher interference. (Photo: Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports)

Reds starter Johnny Cueto gave up just three more hits before exiting after striking out the side in the seventh inning. As Cueto came off the field after getting Garrett Jones, Marcell Ozuna and Adeiny Hechavarria in order, Price talked to him before he even started down the steps. Price pinch-hit for Cueto after 93 pitches.

It turned out to be the right call, as Zack Cozart, the No. 8 batter, hit a blooper to short center that second baseman Jordany Valdespin couldn't come up with, bringing up pinch-hitter Devin Mesoraco, who singled.

After Marlins manager Mike Redmond called in left-hander Mike Dunn to face Hamilton, Price called for a sacrifice bunt, and Hamilton bunted it right back to Dunn, who bobbled it – which gave him zero shot at getting an out.

After Kristopher Negron struck out, Todd Frazier lifted a ball to short right. Stanton got under it and fired home in plenty of time to get Cozart.

However, after initially setting up behind the plate, giving Cozart a clear path to home, Mathis stepped forward, and then took another step forward to receive the ball on one hop.

The replay -- as all replays on Rule 7.13 -- was initiated by the crew chief, home plate umpire Mike Winters.

"I really felt like they got the call right. I think the controversy is that that rule is coming up against a lot of criticism right now, that throw clearly beat our guy," Price said. "Cozart was out by a fairly reasonable margin, but the catcher from the inception of the ball going off the bat had taken away the entire plate. He separated the plate with his feet, his body was in the middle of the plate. It's a tough call. It's not a tough call to make, but it's a tough judgement to have to make. We're trying to protect the catchers – I get it – but I imagine this is something that in the offseason that there's going to be some serious discussions about changing that rule."

Both teams sat waiting ... and waiting ... and waiting, until the replay center in New York delivered the verdict that Mathis had indeed violated the rule and Cozart was safe.

Redmond came out to argue the call – ripping out his jersey and kicking his hat after he had already been ejected. A manager is automatically ejected when he argues a replay call.

All that was left for the Reds was to turn it over to the bullpen – even though that did get a little scary when Broxton gave up a two-out single to Christian Yelich and walked Valdespin on four pitches to bring up Stanton. However, Broxton got out of the jam, striking Stanton out.

Chapman appeared to aggravate the hamstring injury he'd been dealing with after going got a full count on Marcell Ozuna with two outs in the ninth.

After Price and head athletic trainer Paul Lessard went to the mound to check on him, Chapman threw one more pitch – a 101 mph fastball that Ozuna swung and missed at – to record his 24th save and extend his record streak to 46 appearances with a strikeout.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2014/07/31/reds-rally-eighth-top-marlins/13442611/

RE: Reds at Marlins - ctipton - 07-31-2014 11:37 PM

Jocketty: Dealing to make a deal doesn't make sense
C. Trent Rosecrans, crosecrans@enquirer.com 9:04 p.m. EDT July 31, 2014

[Image: 1395857726000-Reds-30-5-.JPG]
Reds general manager Walt Jocketty, right, and President and CEO Bob Castellini in Goodyear.(Photo: The Enquirer/Gary Landers)

MIAMI -- The Reds were nominally a buyer at Thursday's non-waiver trade deadline, general manager Walt Jocketty said, but in the end, Jocketty had nothing to show for it.

In a wild day that saw the Cardinals add pitching and the Brewers add an outfielder, the same Reds team that traveled to Miami on Wednesday night was on display at Marlins Park.

Despite entering the day one game under .500, Jocketty said he never considered himself or his team a seller at the deadline.

"You know who I work for, right?" Jocketty said, meaning Reds owner Bob Castellini, who desperately wants a winner.

In the end, the asking price was too high, not just of rate Reds, but for other teams, Jocketty said. He said none of the players the team had targeted ended up getting traded.

"We were involved in a lot of different negotiations, but in the end we're looking mainly for offense," Jocketty said. "There really wasn't the offensive pieces out there -- none of the guys we talked about were moved. I think the asking prices were beyond what we felt comfortable (with) and obviously other teams felt the same way."

The Reds were rumored to have interest in Phillies outfielder Marlon Byrd and Rangers outfielder Alex Rios. Neither of those players were traded.

"It was really one of the toughest times I've seen. No. 1, there weren't a lot of guys available. We thought last night we might be close to doing something and it didn't work out. A couple of little things today, after we got towards the end, we decided it wasn't worth pushing it. To make a deal just to make a deal doesn't make sense especially when you're talking about giving up young future players."

It's the second straight season the Reds have stayed silent at the trade deadline -- and it didn't exactly work out last season.

Jocketty said most of the talks from other teams centered around the Reds' prospects, not their current Major League players.

Teams can still trade in August, but players must clear waivers before they can be traded. Last season the Pirates acquired Byrd after the non-waiver trade deadline -- a move the Reds could have blocked, but didn't.

"It makes it a little more difficult but I think there will be more teams dealing later in the month," Jocketty said.

Reds manager Bryan Price said he'd kept in contact with Jocketty, and like his GM, felt the team could still contend for a playoff spot this season.

Price noted that the fact the Reds weren't mentioned in a lot of the trade talks in the media was not because they weren't working, but that because Jocketty likes to keep quiet. He compared him to Hall of Famer Pat Gillick, who was the general manager in Seattle when Price was with the Mariners.

"One constant between the two of them is that they feel this is their business, organizational business, and it shouldn't be out there front and center with the rest of the world," Price said shortly before the deadline. "I know for a fact he's doing everything he can to improve our ball club."

In the end, Jocketty said he was upset that he couldn't get a trade done -- that he wanted to do something, but not just to placate those who wanted action of rate sake of action.

"It's frustrating. We tried. We're all worn out from doing it," Jocketty said. "We gave it our best shot. We'll continue to look in August and see if there are things that we can do."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2014/07/31/walt-jocketty-trade-offensive-pieces-not-there/13441091/

RE: Reds at Marlins - ctipton - 07-31-2014 11:42 PM

Marlins call overturned call, loss a 'joke'

C. Trent Rosecrans, crosecrans@enquirer.com 12:16 a.m. EDT August 1, 2014

[Image: 1406863546007-USATSI-8008616.jpg]
Miami Marlins manager Mike Redmond (right) argues with home plate umpire Mike Winters (left) during the eighth inning against the Cincinnati Reds at Marlins Ballpark.(Photo: Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports)

MIAMI -- While the Reds agreed with the ruling in the New York replay office that Marlins catcher Jeff Mathis blocked the plate from the Reds' Zack Cozart, the Marlins players were, of course, less supportive of the call.

It should also be remembered -- especially in the comments of team president David Samson -- that the Marlins were on the other side of the impetus for this change, the knee injury to Giants catcher Buster Posey in 2011.

Here's a sampling from the Marlins' side of the clubhouse:

Manager Mike Redmond:

"I'll tell you as a former catcher in this league for 13 seasons, as a grinder who loved this game and respect this game so much, this game has been a part of my life forever. To lose a ballgame tonight on that play is a joke. It's an absolute joke. I don't think anybody who plays this game should feel good about winning that game. And I would say that if had been reversed. That guy was out by 15 feet. It was a great baseball play. G threw a strike to Matty. He was out by 15 feet. He didn't slide because he couldn't slide because he was out by so far. And yet those guys in New York decided the outcome of that game. I don't blame (home plate umpire) Mike Winters. He was on it. He knew the call on the field was right and he told me that when I was out there. So as a manager you sit there and look your players in the face and my job is to pump these guys up and keep those guys going every single day. No doubt we have some grinders out there in this clubhouse. To look at them in the face and say we lost the game on a technicality is [B.S.]. Absolutely [B.S.]. I'm so [upset]. Like I said I played this game for so long. I've given this game everything I've had as a player and a manager. What a joke. What a [freaking] joke. That's ridiculous."

"We made a mistake today. Not just in this game, but for the game of baseball. You can look back on this game, whatever man. A couple guys get runover at the plate, get hurt. I caught a long time. I never got hurt back there getting run over. For this rule to evolve into this. I mean what is it going to become a force play at home? Jeff Mathis, this guy grinds it out every single day. He's going to go home tonight devastated. Thinking he cost our club the game because he did his job. Because he caught a ball and tagged a guy on the hip. Really? Really? We're going to go home tonight and he's going to grind it out saying I cost our ball club the game because G perfect strike at home. That wasn't good enough? I lost the game. Did my job. What a joke."

On what home plate umpire and crew chief Mike Winters said: "He said 'You're right.' He knew I was right."

"I would love for somebody in New York to come down here and sit with my catchers. I only played for 13 years. I guess my knowledge is limited on this rule. I would love for somebody to come down here and explain to my guys how exactly to block the plate. Because apparently I don't know how to teach it. I don't know if anybody knows how to teach it because we really don't know what the rule is."

Cincinnati Reds shortstop Zack Cozart (2) is tagged out by Miami Marlins catcher Jeff Mathis (6) at home plate during the eighth inning at Marlins Ballpark. Cozart's play at home plate was overturned from catcher interference. (Photo: Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports)

Catcher Jeff Mathis

"You sit here and you think about it and you wonder what you could've done and the route you could've taken to catch the baseball. Could've made the play short-hop myself by getting out of the way and coming back to tag him. But I'm not going to do that. You get him a lane as the play develops and then you see where the ball goes and you catch it and make a tag. That's what I did. It's disgusting to think that a game could end -- not end -- but a play to be decided like that."

"I've been on clubs where guys have missed time because of collisions and I've done it myself. That's just part of the deal. That's the game. It's the way I've been taught and the way I'm going to continue to play it. For it to be decided in a booth is absolutely ridiculous."

"You look at the replay and I keep hearing if you have the ball then you can block the plate and clearly I had the ball and he was two, three steps away. In my mind I'm like, 'We're good. Everything's fine. End of the inning.'"

Third baseman Casey McGehee

"I don't know what we're supposed to do. We have Morris come in. Pitches his [butt] off. We have Koehler, who throws a great game. Stanton makes a helluva play in right field. All of a sudden, we've got a technicality, a rule we don't agree with. It's not baseball any more. Next thing we know, we can put a line, like co-ed softball. We'll just run off to the side, because you can't have contact in co-ed softball."

"To me, I got thrown out on a similar play in the first inning. I'm out. Yeah, we could have probably made an argument that technically he got in front of the plate at some point. It's not baseball. That's the game we all grew up playing. It's a joke."

"I don't understand why we're doing it. I don't understand where it came from. I guess it's to protect the guys. I don't anybody that is going out of their way, saying, 'I'm going to go out of my way to hit a defenseless catcher without the ball.' How many times do you see a guy get hit when he is completely defenseless at home plate? It's a joke. It's an absolutely joke."

"I hope a World Series game gets decided by it. What are you going to do then? Teams fight all year for a chance to play in the World Series. Let's say we've got Game 7, and you're trying to score from third base. What are you supposed to do? You supposed to slow up? You supposed to go around him? The catcher is supposed to give you the lane and play nice. It's the World Series on the line. What are we supposed to do if the World Series ends that way?"

"That's not the way the game is played."

"Obviously, tonight it came to a head. This is a grown mans' sport. Things happen. Nobody wants to see anybody get hurt, obviously. But at the same time, we're not playing ping-pong or golf. Things are going to happen unintentionally, at times."

Marlins team president David Samson

"The home umpire here said it was a mistake. He said to Bryan Morris. And it is a travesty of this game that a game turns around because of a call no one in baseball thinks should have been made except for four guys in New York."

"You go around to any single umpire he is absolutely out. The ball beat him by 10 feet. And there is absolutely zero excuse. That is not the reason this rule was put into play under any scenario. Not one scenario that was discussed had the scenario of a catcher getting the ball 10 feet from right field where you cannot block the plate. The umpire here knew it. It took 6 minutes for four umpires in New York to get it wrong and it cost us a game and it's complete [freaking B.S.].

Can the Marlins appeal?

"There's absolutely nothing we can do. All we're going to do is try to win the next [three] games. The fact of the matter is everyone in baseball should be embarrassed by a call like that. When you're trying to play a game of baseball and you're trying to have a play at the plate -- which is the single most exciting play -- where Stanton makes a perfect throw, Mathis is in perfect position, gets it on a bounce, puts his knee this way and the player for the Cincinnati Reds doesn't even slide, looks down and just says I'm out we better protest. And six minutes later they call him safe. I've never seen anything like it. It is an absolute travesty. I compliment Mike Redmond for not going after, through the phone into New York. Because that's what I would have done."

On the 6-minute wait:

"That's another story. Six minute replay where Bryan Morris doesn't have time to rewarm up and then he throws 2 pitches, 3 pitches later, a little duckshot scores 2, 3 runs. It never should have happened. Period. And there's absolutely nothing that can be done except MLB learns a lesson when you make a rule to protect one catcher who was hurt one time because he was mis-positioned and the entire 100-year history of baseball is changed because of that one mis-position and it causes a mistake like this -- there's been a mistake. And I assume MLB will address it in the off-season."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/redsblog/2014/08/01/073114-marlins/13448865/

RE: Reds at Marlins - ctipton - 07-31-2014 11:47 PM

Reds agree with call, if not Rule 7.13

C. Trent Rosecrans, crosecrans@enquirer.com 12:17 a.m. EDT August 1, 2014

Cincinnati Reds shortstop Zack Cozart (2) is tagged out by Miami Marlins catcher Jeff Mathis (6) at home plate during the eighth inning at Marlins Ballpark. Cozart's play at home plate was overturned from catcher interference.(Photo: Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports)

MIAMI -- Obviously it was a very eventful night in Miami during the Reds' 3-1 victory, with most of the action surrounding the eighth-inning play in which Zack Cozart was called out at the plate and then safe after reviewing the play.

Here's what some of the Reds had to say:

Manager Bryan Price:

"I really felt like they got the call right, I think the controversy is that that rule is coming up against a lot of criticism right now, that throw clearly beat our guy. Cozart was out by a fairly reasonable margin, but the catcher from the inception of the ball going off the bat had taken away the entire plate. He separated the plate with his feet, his body was in the middle of the plate. It's a tough call -- it's not a tough call to make, but it's a tough judgement to have to take. We're trying to protect the catchers -- I get it -- but I imagine this is something that in the offseason that there's going to be some serious discussions about changing that rule."

"I think, look, we're trying to keep the catchers healthy and in the game. We've seen what happens with concussions and the impact plays at the plate, so I get it. That being said, i think it should be taught the way the rule is -- you take those throws out in front of the plate, you're in fair territory. You can't take away the entire plate, but it's buyer beware, if you want to drift into the baseline and take the punishment, there shouldn't be anything that prevents that from happening or judgement against that decision to do that. This situation, I get it. We've been involved with that, we've had plays go both ways -- for us and against us on that rule. I think it's definitely going to be a talking point and something there will be some really challenges and disagreements on it. Tonight's play is going to be indicative of why we should go back to normal."

Price was asked if he thought Jeff Mathis was in the proper position to start the play and then followed the ball to get in correct position. He said no.

"I totally disagree. The only thing I watched on that play -- because I knew it was a fly ball coming into semi-shallow right field -- was the position of the catcher. I felt like from the inception of the play, when that ball went on the air, he got his left foot on the other side -- the foul territory side, the third base side of home plate. That was my perception, I don't think on the video board they didn't show that from the inception, they showed that play as the throw was coming. That very much would suggest that he was moving in to take the throw. From what I saw, I felt like he set up already splitting the plate with his feet. He may have a total disagreement and feel totally different and I completely understand. That play would frustrate anybody. They have every right to be angry."

Shortstop Zack Cozart

"It was one of those plays where I was going because the way things have been going offensively for us, I was trying to make something happen. The pitcher on the mound had good stuff and Frazier got the ball out there and I went home and as I'm going home, I looked up and the whole time he was just sitting on the plate. I guess I could have ran him over legally because he ended up having the ball in front of the plate, too, but I didn't want to do that. There was nowhere for me to go. I thought it was pretty obvious from the replay that they made the right call."

On the 6-minute, 10-second deliberation:

"It's weird. I don't know what they say when they're watching the replays. I feel like you could look on the board and tell it's pretty obvious that the whole time he was in front of the plate the whole time, well before the ball got there. I don't know why it took six minutes, but at least they got the call right -- according to the rule. I'm not saying the rule is good or whatever, but according to the rule, in my opinion, they got it right."

Catcher Devin Mesoraco

"I think that the way the rules describe, he was blocking the plate without the ball, so they should have called him safe. That's what it looked like to me, but you never know what they're going to call..."

Well, isn't that a bigger problem?

"Yeah. I think, You know, there's such a -- a, there's not a clear line of what's blocking the plate and what's not blocking the plate. Is he viewed in front of the plate to get the best hop or can he even get that throw? Nobody knows. He caught the ball and tagged the guy out, and I think if I was in that situation, that's all I would be focused on -- catching the ball and tagging the guy out. If they want to call it, they're going to call it."

Catcher Brayan Pena

"The only thing I can say is rules are rules and we have to follow it. It's one of those things that can happen to any of us. Devin and I have to learn from that one. You remember we had this conversation before. It's one of those things you're used to because that's your nature, you have to go out there and protect home plate and that run. Now you have to have in the back of your mind, if you block home plate too early, they're going to overturn that play, it doesn't matter how good that throw is or how far out that runner is going to be. It's one of those that we have to understand the rule and apply it."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/redsblog/2014/07/31/073114-reds-agree/13448271/

RE: Reds at Marlins - ctipton - 07-31-2014 11:51 PM

Aroldis Chapman OK after hamstring scare

C. Trent Rosecrans, crosecrans@enquirer.com 12 a.m. EDT August 1, 2014

[Image: 1406863903000-USATSI-8008725-220956-lowres.jpg]
Aroldis Chapman and Devin Mesoraco are all smiles after their victory in Miami.(Photo: USA Today Sports)

In a season that has already seen too many Reds go down with injury, the sight of the Reds head trainer Paul Lessard jogging to the mound to check on Aroldis Chapman was anything but welcome.

But the statement from Chapman after the game that he was fine and should be available for Friday's game was.

"Nobody is saying I can't pitch, I feel good to pitch," Chapman said after the game, according to interpreter Tomas Vera.

Chapman has been dealing with a sore hamstring for a couple of weeks now, but has pitched through it. With two outs and a full count to Marlins center fielder Marcell Ozuna in the ninth inning on Thursday, Chapman pulled up lame.

"I felt a little pain -- something that happened (in the All-Star Game), but it's something I was trying to avoid stepping in a hole there," Chapman said, according to Vera.

Reds manager Bryan Price came out with Lessard and after a two warmup pitches, Price let Chapman stay in the game.

The result was a 101-mph fastball that Ozuna swung through to end the game, earn Chapman his 24th save and extended his Major League-record streak to 46 consecutive appearances with a strikeout.

That's something that's important to Chapman, he said.

"Of course I think about it, I don't want this to stop, "Chapman said according to Vera. "I want to continue the record and doing this, I don't want it to end that quick."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/redsblog/2014/07/31/073114-chapman-ok/13447627/