CSNbbs
MAC the coldest football conference - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Mid-American Conference Talk (/forum-472.html)
+---- Thread: MAC the coldest football conference (/thread-696654.html)

MAC the coldest football conference - DrTorch - 07-30-2014 09:04 AM

http://www.alexlamers.com/2013/09/09/college-football-climatology/

RE: MAC the coldest football conference - Motown Bronco - 07-30-2014 09:45 AM

Interesting find. I'll have to bookmark it and read the whole thing sometime.

RE: MAC the coldest football conference - emu steve - 07-30-2014 09:52 AM

Maybe retaining Temple (Philly is not warm but it isn't Mt. Pleasant either) would have allowed the Big Ten to surpass us for coldest conference.

Let the B1G be #1 (for coldest conference). They like to think they are #1, anyway.

Oops, B1G added Maryland which is a moderate climate city.

We need to bring back UCF. 03-lmfao

RE: MAC the coldest football conference - Boca Rocket - 07-30-2014 10:00 AM

Not very accurate as far as FAU being the wettest. One of the main reasons being inland weather is totally different from the coast of SE FL
FAU's Stadium is only a few minutes from the beach.

RE: MAC the coldest football conference - Motown Bronco - 07-30-2014 10:04 AM

(07-30-2014 09:52 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Maybe retaining Temple (Philly is not warm but it isn't Mt. Pleasant either) would have allowed the Big Ten to surpass us for coldest conference.

I wonder if they already included Rutgers or Maryland in their Big Ten data. If not, then these locations will boost the conference's average temp up another notch.

RE: MAC the coldest football conference - DrTorch - 07-30-2014 10:22 AM

(07-30-2014 10:04 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  
(07-30-2014 09:52 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Maybe retaining Temple (Philly is not warm but it isn't Mt. Pleasant either) would have allowed the Big Ten to surpass us for coldest conference.

I wonder if they already included Rutgers or Maryland in their Big Ten data. If not, then these locations will boost the conference's average temp up another notch.

I didn't read the full article yet either, not even sure of year, so, did UMass get into MAC's members?

RE: MAC the coldest football conference - TARDledo - 07-30-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:The Mid-American Conference (MAC) and the Big Ten Conference are neck-and-neck for the “coldest conference”. Both conferences feature teams that are tightly clustered geographically around the Great Lakes and Upper Midwest regions. In fact, their geographical footprint overlaps considerably which is why their averages are so close. By both average temperature and maximum temperature, the MAC (52.1°F, 62.0°F respectively) just barely edges out the Big Ten (52.2°F, 62.3°F).

We're #1! We're #1! We're #1!

[Image: ColdWeatherRank.png]

RE: MAC the coldest football conference - perimeterpost - 07-30-2014 11:10 AM

The lower temperatures are described as "Cold" but the higher temperatures are described as "Warm". Why not "Cool", instead of "Cold", or "Hot" instead of "Warm"? You can see the bias of the author in his choice to use the word with the more negative connotation for the lower temperatures while using a much more positive descriptor for the higher temperatures.

RE: MAC the coldest football conference - DrTorch - 07-30-2014 11:27 AM

(07-30-2014 11:10 AM)perimeterpost Wrote:  The lower temperatures are described as "Cold" but the higher temperatures are described as "Warm". Why not "Cool", instead of "Cold", or "Hot" instead of "Warm"? You can see the bias of the author in his choice to use the word with the more negative connotation for the lower temperatures while using a much more positive descriptor for the higher temperatures.

I think you're reading a bit much into this. :-)

RE: MAC the coldest football conference - CHIPPEWA ENEMA - 07-30-2014 09:23 PM

(07-30-2014 11:10 AM)perimeterpost Wrote:  The lower temperatures are described as "Cold" but the higher temperatures are described as "Warm". Why not "Cool", instead of "Cold", or "Hot" instead of "Warm"? You can see the bias of the author in his choice to use the word with the more negative connotation for the lower temperatures while using a much more positive descriptor for the higher temperatures.

Exactly. In addition, it matters a great deal as to where you're "sticking" that thermometer, as well!

RE: MAC the coldest football conference - Slinkin Street Flash - 07-31-2014 06:57 AM

"Because snowy college football games are a rare commodity, be sure to watch the ones that you can" - I'd rather see good quality football than players slipping in the snow, dropping the ball, having passes blown off course by the wind. While a snowy game looks exciting on a news program, it stinks watching one in person.

Also, this says the maximum temperature in Mt Pleasant during the football season is 58.8 degrees? Doesn't sound so Pleasant now, right? You haven't had a 60 degree temp during September yet? I actually think he means 'average maximum daily temperature'.

And Buffalo gets on the lists for most wet days during football season.

RE: MAC the coldest football conference - CMichFan - 08-21-2014 05:17 PM

(07-31-2014 06:57 AM)Slinkin Street Flash Wrote:  "Because snowy college football games are a rare commodity, be sure to watch the ones that you can" - I'd rather see good quality football than players slipping in the snow, dropping the ball, having passes blown off course by the wind. While a snowy game looks exciting on a news program, it stinks watching one in person.

Also, this says the maximum temperature in Mt Pleasant during the football season is 58.8 degrees? Doesn't sound so Pleasant now, right? You haven't had a 60 degree temp during September yet? I actually think he means 'average maximum daily temperature'.

I assume those temps are Celsius, not Fahrenheit.

RE: MAC the coldest football conference - NIU007 - 08-21-2014 09:18 PM

(08-21-2014 05:17 PM)CMichFan Wrote:  
(07-31-2014 06:57 AM)Slinkin Street Flash Wrote:  "Because snowy college football games are a rare commodity, be sure to watch the ones that you can" - I'd rather see good quality football than players slipping in the snow, dropping the ball, having passes blown off course by the wind. While a snowy game looks exciting on a news program, it stinks watching one in person.

I assume those temps are Celsius, not Fahrenheit.

They're Fahrenheit, but it has to be maximum temperature for the actual game days, not the whole season.

RE: MAC the coldest football conference - CMichFan - 08-22-2014 12:59 PM

In that case, it's just inaccurate. The late season games were unusually cold in 2013, but the opener was warmer than 50s.