CSNbbs
NIU in hot water - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: NIU in hot water (/thread-696378.html)

NIU in hot water - IWokeUpLikeThis - 07-27-2014 09:18 PM

Sounds like NIU drinking water in conjunction with Huskie Stadium hot dogs offer the ultimate romantic randevú.

Quote:Public notice regarding NIU water system

Northern Illinois University is providing notice that university’s water system violated several drinking water compliance standards over the past year. Although these violations did not present an immediate hazard, it is the university’s responsibility to inform all who live and work in and around the university who may have used the NIU drinking water supply during this period of these violations. In cooperation with the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA), NIU has worked to correct the situation and move forward in a manner that will assure full compliance.

While NIU draws its water supply from the City of DeKalb, the university provides treatment and filtration for the water supplied to campus. Thus, as a water authority, it is required to monitor drinking water for specific contaminants on a regular basis to ensure it meets health standards. During the period of October 1, 2011 to September 30, 2013, the required monitoring or testing for Haloacetic Acids (HAA5) and Trihalomethanes (TTHM) was not complete. Therefore, the quality of drinking water during that time cannot be verified.

To rectify the problem, new water samples were taken on July 8, 2014. In addition, a new sample collector with a strong technical background and track record for adherence to public safety guidelines has been hired by the university.

For more information, please contact Joseph Hoiness at 815-753-1151 or by mail, Heating Plant, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Ill. 60115.

RE: NIU in hot water - UnknownScout - 07-28-2014 07:37 AM

My first two years at NIU Fall 99 to Spring of 01 we had radium in the water, now we all just glow a little bit.. It's like a permanent night light.

RE: NIU in hot water - HuskieJohn - 07-28-2014 08:47 AM

(07-28-2014 07:37 AM)UnknownScout Wrote:  My first two years at NIU Fall 99 to Spring of 01 we had radium in the water, now we all just glow a little bit.. It's like a permanent night light.

At that same time I was a FR...anyone I knew from the Chicagoland area did not drink the DeKalb water anyways...though the people who were from the West of DeKalb did.

RE: NIU in hot water - Huskie359 - 07-28-2014 10:18 AM

(07-28-2014 07:37 AM)UnknownScout Wrote:  My first two years at NIU Fall 99 to Spring of 01 we had radium in the water, now we all just glow a little bit.. It's like a permanent night light.

I was at NIU at the same time - 98 through 00, and I forgot about the radium until I saw your post. I now remember, being a typical poor and cheap college student, saving milk jugs and filling them with water when I went home. I must have filled 15 gallons of water every time I went home.

I remember that there was always a run on the bottled/gallons of water sold at the local grocery stores. Good times.

RE: NIU in hot water - HuskieFootball Addict - 07-28-2014 11:02 AM

My son was a freshman in 99. He was warned about not drinking the water too.

RE: NIU in hot water - uiniu57 - 07-28-2014 11:58 AM

Damn, now the secret's out. NIU's rise in football can now be linked to that special water they drank from the hoses at Huskie Stadium practices and absorbed while showering. Chemists on campus worked tirelessly on that water to shave seconds off each player's 40 time and build those radiation-enhanced muscles. Guess it's time to reveal the next big secret: They're going to start selling that special mixture (ala Gatorade) once they come up with a catchy enough name and the profits will fund a new stadium, make us a part of the conference that's going to land the biggest TV deal ever, and finance the private jets that will take our teams from the enlarged DeKalb airport.

RE: NIU in hot water - Lord Stanley - 07-28-2014 12:18 PM

I wasn't aware that NIU treated and filtered its own water. Seems like a bizarre cost to incur.....

RE: NIU in hot water - HuskieJohn - 07-28-2014 12:41 PM

(07-28-2014 12:18 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  I wasn't aware that NIU treated and filtered its own water. Seems like a bizarre cost to incur.....

I was told 2 different stories in Spring of 00...

They treat the water so it has more of a taste like the Chicago/Lake Michigan water that most of the students are used to at home.

OR they treat the water with chemicals to make the population more feminine to reduce aggressive tendencies while also making people more obedient to authority figures.

Either way I didn't drink the water.

RE: NIU in hot water - Lord Stanley - 07-28-2014 01:09 PM

(07-28-2014 12:41 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  They treat the water so it has more of a taste like the Chicago/Lake Michigan water that most of the students are used to at home.

OR they treat the water with chemicals to make the population more feminine to reduce aggressive tendencies while also making people more obedient to authority figures.

[Image: well_that_escalated_quickly.jpg]

RE: NIU in hot water - thehappyhuskie - 07-28-2014 02:28 PM

I was also around during the great radium scare of 99-01. I always thought it was funny that the Chicago kids were scared of the water seeing as they drank from Lake Michigan.

Growing up with well water, I always found the bleachy after taste of DeKalb water to be refreshing and cleansing.

RE: NIU in hot water - OldTtimeNIU - 07-28-2014 04:32 PM

Or drink that wonderful Lake Michigan water where Milwaukee occasionally
dumps sewage

RE: NIU in hot water - Kevin S - 07-28-2014 04:55 PM

(07-28-2014 04:32 PM)OldTtimeNIU Wrote:  Or drink that wonderful Lake Michigan water where Milwaukee occasionally
dumps sewage

Gary also dumps sewage.

RE: NIU in hot water - timxlydon - 08-02-2014 01:29 PM

NIU isn't the only one in hot water...

http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/26178506/breaking-urgent-notice