CSNbbs
UB Inks deals with radio stations in the four large NY markets - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Mid-American Conference Talk (/forum-472.html)
+---- Thread: UB Inks deals with radio stations in the four large NY markets (/thread-695332.html)

Pages: 1 2

UB Inks deals with radio stations in the four large NY markets - Bull_In_Exile - 07-17-2014 12:21 PM

Albany, NYC, Rochester, and Buffalo. The Buffalo station will carry a coaches show that at night will go out over 50,000 watts across the mid Atlantic and New England.

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2014/7/17/5892757/buffalo-bulls-radio-network

RE: UB Inks deals with radio stations in the four large NY markets - THUNDERStruck73 - 07-17-2014 01:04 PM

(07-17-2014 12:21 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Albany, NYC, Rochester, and Buffalo. The Buffalo station will carry a coaches show that at night will go out over 50,000 watts across the mid Atlantic and New England.

That's gotta be huge not only for UB, but for the MAC in general. 03-thumbsup

Will the revenue from that be split among your conference mates or will UB reap all of the benefits?

RE: UB Inks deals with radio stations in the four large NY markets - BullBoy - 07-17-2014 01:23 PM

(07-17-2014 01:04 PM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  
(07-17-2014 12:21 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Albany, NYC, Rochester, and Buffalo. The Buffalo station will carry a coaches show that at night will go out over 50,000 watts across the mid Atlantic and New England.

Will the revenue from that be split among your conference mates or will UB reap all of the benefits?

There is no splitting of the money. This deal was brokered by UB and was not part of any conference talks.

RE: UB Inks deals with radio stations in the four large NY markets - THUNDERStruck73 - 07-17-2014 01:37 PM

(07-17-2014 01:23 PM)BullBoy Wrote:  
(07-17-2014 01:04 PM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  

There is no splitting of the money. This deal was brokered by UB and was not part of any conference talks.

Then that deal becomes even bigger!!!

RE: UB Inks deals with radio stations in the four large NY markets - axeme - 07-17-2014 03:55 PM

What revenue? I saw no mention that $$ was changing hands.

RE: UB Inks deals with radio stations in the four large NY markets - BullBoy - 07-17-2014 04:03 PM

(07-17-2014 03:55 PM)axeme Wrote:  What revenue? I saw no mention that $$ was changing hands.

Not sure on all the specifics, but I would guess Ub owns most of the commercial inventory and they may get more from companies because of the reach of the radio networks.

RE: UB Inks deals with radio stations in the four large NY markets - Bull_In_Exile - 07-17-2014 04:12 PM

(07-17-2014 03:55 PM)axeme Wrote:  What revenue? I saw no mention that $$ was changing hands.

I doubt there is a ton of revenue involved, it's far more likely this is a little $$ plus some owned advertising space. The get for UB is the exposure throughout the state.

UB's AD said flatly in a recent interview he believes that Big Time College Athletics is easier to accomplish with a state identity than with a local identity. If he can get many of the Alumni living down state tied into the school then donations and interest will increase.

RE: UB Inks deals with radio stations in the four large NY markets - emu steve - 07-17-2014 04:34 PM

(07-17-2014 04:12 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

I doubt there is a ton of revenue involved, it's far more likely this is a little $$ plus some owned advertising space. The get for UB is the exposure throughout the state.

UB's AD said flatly in a recent interview he believes that Big Time College Athletics is easier to accomplish with a state identity than with a local identity. If he can get many of the Alumni living down state tied into the school then donations and interest will increase.

Sounds good.

Also need to continue, if appropriate, playing Syracuse, Army, Stony Brook and Rutgers.

Play 'Cuse and at least 1/2 of N.Y. (western side) will watch.

Rutgers gets the game into NYC.

RE: UB Inks deals with radio stations in the four large NY markets - Bull_In_Exile - 07-17-2014 04:53 PM

(07-17-2014 04:34 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

Sounds good.

Also need to continue, if appropriate, playing Syracuse, Army, Stony Brook and Rutgers.

Cuse won't play UB 1:1 and the Bulls don't think the Orange are worth a 2:1...

RE: UB Inks deals with radio stations in the four large NY markets - emu steve - 07-17-2014 10:23 PM

(07-17-2014 04:53 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

Sounds good.

I wouldn't do 2:1 with say Pitt or Boston College, but 2:1 with 'Cuse is good because any UB/'Cuse game is good for FB in Western N.Y.

RE: UB Inks deals with radio stations in the four large NY markets - mpurdy22 - 07-18-2014 07:36 AM

Great news!

RE: UB Inks deals with radio stations in the four large NY markets - BullBoy - 07-18-2014 08:14 AM

(07-17-2014 10:23 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

Sounds good.

I wouldn't do 2:1 with say Pitt or Boston College, but 2:1 with 'Cuse is good because any UB/'Cuse game is good for FB in Western N.Y.

They might do this in football, but Syracuse basketball has no interest in ever playing road games.

RE: UB Inks deals with radio stations in the four large NY markets - Steve1981 - 07-18-2014 09:16 AM

Yup, very good for UB. After listening to White, at least I understand why you are playing two fcs games at home. Were these teams part of your conference before 1998?

RE: UB Inks deals with radio stations in the four large NY markets - DrTorch - 07-18-2014 09:25 AM

And that's a sound strategy. Better to get several singles than always swing for the HR.

Quote:UB's AD said flatly in a recent interview he believes that Big Time College Athletics is easier to accomplish with a state identity than with a local identity.

I can believe that, and it's why the MAC is pushing uphill in OH and MI.

Frankly, splitting up the MAC could very well help all of the teams by giving them distinct conference identities and foes, instead of so many being lumped together as an easily forgettable afterthought.

RE: UB Inks deals with radio stations in the four large NY markets - emu steve - 07-18-2014 09:39 AM

(07-18-2014 09:25 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  

And that's a sound strategy. Better to get several singles than always swing for the HR.

Quote:UB's AD said flatly in a recent interview he believes that Big Time College Athletics is easier to accomplish with a state identity than with a local identity.

I can believe that, and it's why the MAC is pushing uphill in OH and MI.

Frankly, splitting up the MAC could very well help all of the teams by giving them distinct conference identities and foes, instead of so many being lumped together as an easily forgettable afterthought.

What? After expanding the footprint you want to split it back into tiny pieces?

What's happening with UB is they feel a N.Y. identity is better than a Buffalo (or Western N.Y.) identity.

Buffalo synonymous with rust belt? N.Y. is more synonymous with NYC, Wall Street, finance, etc.

RE: UB Inks deals with radio stations in the four large NY markets - Bull_In_Exile - 07-18-2014 10:00 AM

(07-17-2014 10:23 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

Sounds good.

The Calculus is this... UB makes more money on two home games not involving Syracuse than they do on one home game vs the Orange.

RE: UB Inks deals with radio stations in the four large NY markets - Lord Stanley - 07-18-2014 10:43 AM

The upside is high for the New York Bulls.

NIU recently went through this in reverse, we lost our 50,000 watt blower (I could hear it in Duluth, MN on a clear night and it is said it could be heard as far north as Thunder Bay, ON) but I don't believe the ROI on incidental listeners was all that high; turning incidental listeners into fans was probably between zero and none. I love a great radio signal but it's not as important as it was in the day. In my most humble of opinions, someone interested in New York football is probably already listening via the internet.

Again, not to say this deal isn't awesome for New York with a capital A. Even if the return is zero, it is worth it to have New York football on the airwaves across the State.

RE: UB Inks deals with radio stations in the four large NY markets - Bull_In_Exile - 07-18-2014 11:08 AM

(07-18-2014 10:43 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  The upside is high for the New York Bulls.

NIU recently went through this in reverse, we lost our 50,000 watt blower (I could hear it in Duluth, MN on a clear night and it is said it could be heard as far north as Thunder Bay, ON) but I don't believe the ROI on incidental listeners was all that high; turning incidental listeners into fans was probably between zero and none. I love a great radio signal but it's not as important as it was in the day. In my most humble of opinions, someone interested in New York football is probably already listening via the internet.

Again, not to say this deal isn't awesome for New York with a capital A. Even if the return is zero, it is worth it to have New York football on the airwaves across the State.

That's the upside for UB is that on the 50K station the coaches show is at night. It means that it will be on in NYC and DC which is where we have a lot of Alumni. UB values the coaching shows almost as much as the games themselves.

RE: UB Inks deals with radio stations in the four large NY markets - emu steve - 07-18-2014 11:23 AM

(07-18-2014 11:08 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(07-18-2014 10:43 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  The upside is high for the New York Bulls.

That's the upside for UB is that on the 50K station the coaches show is at night. It means that it will be on in NYC and DC which is where we have a lot of Alumni. UB values the coaching shows almost as much as the games themselves.

I don't want to sound negative, but don't UB fans watch their teams (FB, hoops) play on television or webcast?

Isn't radio a dying medium for live sports?

At EMU we can certainly listen to games, but I assume most are tuned in via the webcast of the game.

RE: UB Inks deals with radio stations in the four large NY markets - Bull_In_Exile - 07-18-2014 12:16 PM

(07-18-2014 11:23 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(07-18-2014 11:08 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

I don't want to sound negative, but don't UB fans watch their teams (FB, hoops) play on television or webcast?

Isn't radio a dying medium for live sports?

At EMU we can certainly listen to games, but I assume most are tuned in via the webcast of the game.

Again the bigger part of this deal is the UB show on sports talk radio which is an exploding medium. That and the fact UB will be talked about on five of the bigger stations in WNY during the sports day is helpful.

At UB's most recent ticket Blitz WGR sent their show to alumni to live broadcast. WGR has a huge audience and the blitz was during the drive home. UB sold about 1,000 tickets during the radio show.

But aside from the shows many do listen on radio when they are going about their lives.