CSNbbs
Moochelle bans birthday cupcakes in schools - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Moochelle bans birthday cupcakes in schools (/thread-694215.html)

Pages: 1 2

Moochelle bans birthday cupcakes in schools - smn1256 - 07-05-2014 09:20 AM

What's to stop kids from stuffing their faces with cupcakes the minute they get out of school? How intrusive are the Obamas going to get?

Quote:[Image: No-cupcakes-300x217.jpg]

LYNNWOOD, Wash. – Michelle Obama’s national school lunch overhaul is getting a little ridiculous.

The First Lady worked with federal bureaucrats to strictly limit what types of foods can be served in school cafeterias across the country in an effort to fight childhood obesity. The federal regulations on meat, vegetables, salt, and other aspects of the school lunch has been met with staunch indignation from students who have either trashed their mandatory fruit and vegetables or opted not to eat lunch at all.

Now, the Edmonds School District in Washington state and others are cracking down on birthday cupcakes and other sugary snacks students bring from home under a directive from the federal lunch police, according to news reports.

“Birthday parties in classrooms may be celebrated with non-food treats and favors for students. No food is allowed as part of a birthday celebration,” according to a new Edmonds School District policy tied to the federal lunch rules, according to The Herald.

“Appropriate alternatives to food that may be shared on special occasions can be within the procedures,” the district’s website states.

Link to full story

RE: Moochelle bans birthday cupcakes in schools - oklalittledixie - 07-05-2014 10:23 AM

Aren't communists great?

RE: Moochelle bans birthday cupcakes in schools - Smaug - 07-05-2014 10:30 AM

You'll take my cupcake when you pry it from my cold, dead hand.

RE: Moochelle bans birthday cupcakes in schools - Paul M - 07-05-2014 10:39 AM

Max and Caroline are already struggling and this will just end their second attempt at female entrepreneurship. Thank Moochell and her war on women.

RE: Moochelle bans birthday cupcakes in schools - UofMstateU - 07-05-2014 10:43 AM

So control what we eat, but they can stuff their faces with whatever. Got it. Just the other day, OBlunder was talking about a pie so good it had to be made with crack. So, we cant eat cupcakes, but they can stuff their pie-holes with crack laden pie. Got it.

RE: Moochelle bans birthday cupcakes in schools - Pyrizzo - 07-05-2014 11:30 AM

This is why I have elected private school for my kids; the public school system is an indoctrinating government farm at the mercy of the liberal base.

RE: Moochelle bans birthday cupcakes in schools - UofMstateU - 07-05-2014 11:35 AM

(07-05-2014 11:30 AM)Pyrizzo Wrote:  This is why I have elected private school for my kids; the public school system is an indoctrinating government farm at the mercy of the liberal base.

The day we can abolish the teachers union and give full choice into which schools our kids can attend will be the day when being incompetent goes the way of the dodo bird.

RE: Moochelle bans birthday cupcakes in schools - JDTulane - 07-05-2014 11:41 AM

If kids are trashing their fruit and vegetables they have bigger problems at home than what MO is trying to do.

That said, let them eat cupcakes.

RE: Moochelle bans birthday cupcakes in schools - smn1256 - 07-05-2014 01:56 PM

As many of you already know, our lovely first lady, Michelle Obama, has been very active in the fight to formulate and implement new standards for school lunches. This whole thing first started when she began lobbying, largely behind the scenes, for the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010. This bill, now law, requires more fruit, vegetables, and whole grains, plus less sodium, sugar, and fat in school lunches.

Although the idea behind these new standards, which was the first update to school lunch rules in many years, was well-intentioned, the results have not been nearly as good as Obama had hoped. It certainly has made the new school lunches more nutritious, but many students have complained about how they taste.

Even groups originally in favor of these standards have now turned against them. One of these groups is the School Nutrition Association, which represents school cafeteria workers. Of course, they are in favor of getting kids to eat healthier, but the real problem here is that they have seen many districts losing money as a direct result of these new Michelle Obama initiated standards. The basic fact is that students simply aren’t buying these lunches. I suppose that is a side effect when you make their lunches, “taste like vomit,” according to some actual students.

Since the first round of these new standards first went into effect in 2012, more than 1 million fewer students are eating lunch at school each day. This is stark contrast to decades of steadily increasing participation among students, according to an association spokeswoman. A second round of new rules has just taken effect as of July 1, which even includes new standards for breakfast in schools.

The bottom line is that these new standards promoted by Michelle have not been very well thought-out. Certainly no one can call such changes an improvement or effective if they only serve to drive students away from the program. Perhaps Barack should consider allowing his wife to reform the welfare and other entitlement programs?

Now, Michelle has vowed to fight in defense of her new standards and program, “to the bitter end.” She says that 90 percent of schools are meeting these standards and that they are based on sound science. Once again, she might even be correct, but the bottom line is that her program is still driving children out of the program and financially damaging schools and school districts who are selling much less and rapidly losing interest in keeping up with the program, much less additional stringent requirements.

To this end, there is a new Republican House bill that would give school districts a chance to apply to skip these requirements for a year. This is actually connected to the yearly funding bill for the Agriculture Department, under whose domain school lunch (and breakfast) programs fall. As you might imagine, the White House is opposed to this and has vowed to veto the bill.

What do YOU think? Were these standards forced upon schools and kids too fast? Should we expect kids to eat food that “tastes like vomit” simply to indulge the whims of our first lady? Have we gone a bit too far, too fast in an effort to try and make kids do what’s best for them, without taking into consideration their wishes? Should we consider new standards that have driven more than 1 million participants away to be a success…and worthy of additional restrictive standards?

Link

RE: Moochelle bans birthday cupcakes in schools - GoApps70 - 07-05-2014 01:59 PM

Moochie has the brain of an ant.

RE: Moochelle bans birthday cupcakes in schools - mptnstr@44 - 07-05-2014 02:29 PM

Watch her try to force participation in the school lunch program meaning if you don't eat what the school serves you can't bring your own.

At a local school, they monitor what you send in the child's lunch. You must include a fruit, a vegetable, and a protein. You can include granola or yogurt as a "treat." No more sugary drinks (i.e. juiceboxes) either unless they are 100% pure juice.

Absolutely no snack cakes or chips. The teachers confiscate those. (I'm guessing they aren't thrown in the garbage though. Someone is likely taking them home.)

RE: Moochelle bans birthday cupcakes in schools - GoApps70 - 07-05-2014 02:32 PM

Government now controlling what you can and cannot eat.
So how is this not government tyranny.

RE: Moochelle bans birthday cupcakes in schools - mptnstr@44 - 07-05-2014 02:38 PM

(07-05-2014 02:32 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Government now controlling what you can and cannot eat.
So how is this not government tyranny.

But remember it's for the children!!!!!!
If it saves just one child, it's worth it!

RE: Moochelle bans birthday cupcakes in schools - smn1256 - 07-05-2014 03:02 PM

(07-05-2014 02:29 PM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  Watch her try to force participation in the school lunch program meaning if you don't eat what the school serves you can't bring your own.

At a local school, they monitor what you send in the child's lunch. You must include a fruit, a vegetable, and a protein. You can include granola or yogurt as a "treat." No more sugary drinks (i.e. juiceboxes) either unless they are 100% pure juice.

Absolutely no snack cakes or chips. The teachers confiscate those. (I'm guessing they aren't thrown in the garbage though. Someone is likely taking them home.)

Jesus Christ, how can they do that? It's a school, nothing more.

RE: Moochelle bans birthday cupcakes in schools - mptnstr@44 - 07-05-2014 03:10 PM

(07-05-2014 03:02 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 02:29 PM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  Watch her try to force participation in the school lunch program meaning if you don't eat what the school serves you can't bring your own.

My guess it comes down to who's going to argue and risk getting labeled a trouble maker? Go along to get along.

RE: Moochelle bans birthday cupcakes in schools - smn1256 - 07-05-2014 03:19 PM

(07-05-2014 03:10 PM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  

My guess it comes down to who's going to argue and risk getting labeled a trouble maker? Go along to get along.

My wife and I took on the California school system and won (but at a great cost) and I would do the same here. If I go out and shop for food, pay for it, bring it home and give it to my kid to eat, then who the hell does the school think they are telling me what my kid can and can not put into his body? Screw them.

RE: Moochelle bans birthday cupcakes in schools - UofMstateU - 07-05-2014 07:57 PM

Truth in advertising means that these establishments can no longer be called schools. They must be referred to in what they really are, indoctrination stations. Some of them also qualify as the official meeting location for BangMyStudents dot com.

RE: Moochelle bans birthday cupcakes in schools - EagleX - 07-06-2014 04:09 PM

Stop me before I kill again

[Image: 2m46iwl.jpg]

RE: Moochelle bans birthday cupcakes in schools - THE NC Herd Fan - 07-06-2014 04:57 PM

When cupcakes are outlawed, only outlaws will carry cupcakes.

RE: Moochelle bans birthday cupcakes in schools - smn1256 - 07-06-2014 05:08 PM

[Image: obama-menu.jpg]

[Image: school-lunches-2.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n3m5mkTQFp1r75g5vo1_1280.jpg]

[Image: school-lunches-4.jpg]

[Image: school-lunches-6.jpg]

[Image: BmAe1B0CUAENuIx.jpg]

http://img.blog.voc.com.cn/jpg/200906/20/16925_b92354fb080962b.jpg

[Image: food11n-1-web.jpg]

[Image: obama-eating.JPG]

[Image: Barack-Obama-Eating-Mustard-from-a-Tube-88466.jpg]8777777777