CSNbbs
why we came to c-usa - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: why we came to c-usa (/thread-694147.html)

Pages: 1 2

why we came to c-usa - dahbeed - 07-03-2014 10:16 PM

there are many legitimate reasons we sought membership but probably the largest was to align ourselves with like minded schools in re basketball support.

there was a thread started over here back in march about the upcoming out of conference schedules for hoops. to date there have been 88 replies and 7,743 views and it's still on the front page.

on the sbc board a similar thread was started (by a basketball only uta supporter of course) today approximately 3 months after the one here. it will get very little action in the coming months as the sbc is pretty much a football centric only conference with some love given to baseball.

message boards have zero sway in athletic fortunes but i consider them a barometer for a school's fanbase.

very glad to be back in a conference where folks understand what hoops can bring to the table.

RE: why we came to c-usa - CajunFanatico - 07-04-2014 08:36 AM

(07-03-2014 10:16 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  message boards have zero sway in athletic fortunes but i consider them a barometer for a school's fanbase.

Dunno beed. There's a guy in another thread telling me what LaTech's administration will and will not do.

As for your other comments, I agree fully.

When you headin' south again? We're in our "winter" right now and it's dry as a popcorn fart. If we don't get some serious rain soon, a whole lot of farmers here are going to be in a world of hurt.

RE: why we came to c-usa - winston70 - 07-04-2014 08:42 AM

(07-04-2014 08:36 AM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  
(07-03-2014 10:16 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  message boards have zero sway in athletic fortunes but i consider them a barometer for a school's fanbase.

Dunno beed. There's a guy in another thread telling me what LaTech's administration will and will not do.

When you headin' south again? We're in our "winter" right now and it's dry as a popcorn fart. If we don't get some serious rain soon, a whole lot of farmers here are going to be in a world of hurt.

And we also have fans that continue to post on the wrong boards 07-coffee3

RE: why we came to c-usa - CajunFanatico - 07-04-2014 08:53 AM

(07-04-2014 08:42 AM)winston70 Wrote:  

And we also have fans that continue to post on the wrong boards 07-coffee3

Indeed. But I just let 'em slide over at the Belt board.

RE: why we came to c-usa - dahbeed - 07-04-2014 09:14 AM

my post wasn't meant to castigate the sbc, just point out a difference.

as far as holding sway i stick to that even though i am told the president of the university asked who i was and why was i calling ken mcdonald 'r-mac' on hilltopper haven in a meeting one time. i make no claim to getting ken 'pol pot' mcdummy fired but i did add some sticks in the fire.

i'm retiring on october 31st. ima make some trips down south starting next year. been gathering info on some well drilling teams. a lot of the medical/dental teams i've been on could've seen less people in our clinics if good water was available.

RE: why we came to c-usa - BamaScorpio69 - 07-05-2014 08:48 AM

Social media has totally ruined grammar, spelling, and proper English. You may carry on!

RE: why we came to c-usa - CajunFanatico - 07-05-2014 09:31 AM

(07-05-2014 08:48 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  Social media has totally ruined grammar, spelling, and proper English. You may carry on!

Social media have totally ruined grammar.....03-nutkick04-rock04-cheers

RE: why we came to c-usa - Fish - 07-05-2014 10:00 AM

Let's be real, WKU came to C-USA because of $$$$$$. It's a business.

RE: why we came to c-usa - WKUYG - 07-05-2014 10:28 AM

(07-05-2014 10:00 AM)Fish Wrote:  Let's be real, WKU came to C-USA because of $$$$$$. It's a business.

No Western came to C-USA because it's considered a step-up and the basketball. Which hopefully leads to more money. But no way Western makes this move if the basketball was awful in C-USA and it was good in the SBC.

This move was all about what's best for Western's basketball #1, then hopefully more money, then football...

I hope someday that last one is just as important to our fans as basketball is...

6-7 years ago if someone asked me to make the choice between going to a WKU road football game and a home basketball game...basketball would have been the easy choice. To most of our fans basketball would still be the choice. Today I would choose the football game over any regular season basketball game. Luckily that only happens between 1 and 3 times a year.

RE: why we came to c-usa - BRtransplant - 07-05-2014 11:46 AM

(07-05-2014 10:28 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 10:00 AM)Fish Wrote:  Let's be real, WKU came to C-USA because of $$$$$$. It's a business.

No Western came to C-USA because it's considered a step-up and the basketball. Which hopefully leads to more money. But no way Western makes this move if the basketball was awful in C-USA and it was good in the SBC.

This move was all about what's best for Western's basketball #1, then hopefully more money, then football...

I hope someday that last one is just as important to our fans as basketball is...

6-7 years ago if someone asked me to make the choice between going to a WKU road football game and a home basketball game...basketball would have been the easy choice. To most of our fans basketball would still be the choice. Today I would choose the football game over any regular season basketball game. Luckily that only happens between 1 and 3 times a year.
I've got to believe that the WKU administration could see the writing on the wall and recognized that after realignment, some schools were going to be stuck in the Sun Belt. Sometimes timing is everything, and things worked out for WKU just in the nick of time. UL-L and Ark St are the ones that ended up getting stuck.

RE: why we came to c-usa - CajunFanatico - 07-05-2014 02:04 PM

(07-05-2014 11:46 AM)BRtransplant Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 10:28 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  

I've got to believe that the WKU administration could see the writing on the wall and recognized that after realignment, some schools were going to be stuck in the Sun Belt. Sometimes timing is everything, and things worked out for WKU just in the nick of time. UL-L and Ark St are the ones that ended up getting stuck.

Ya can't help yourself, can you?

RE: why we came to c-usa - TOPSTRAIGHT - 07-05-2014 03:39 PM

Well-this is the C-USA board,did you expect people here to put the conference they came FROM above their NEW home?

RE: why we came to c-usa - CajunFanatico - 07-05-2014 03:50 PM

(07-05-2014 03:39 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Well-this is the C-USA board,did you expect people here to put the conference they came FROM above their NEW home?

No, of course not. But then he's a LaTech fan. Tech didn't come here directly from the Belt like you guys. My observation was that he can hardly make a post without tossing in an insult of the Belt.

RE: why we came to c-usa - Niner National - 07-05-2014 04:21 PM

It is obvious that CUSA was trying to build as well rounded of a conference as possible with the additions. Charlotte, ODU, and WKU probably wouldn't be here if football was the only priority.

If football was all they wanted, they would have brought Ark State and Louisiana (great baseball here too obviously). The third team would have been App State, WKU, or Ga Southern.

RE: why we came to c-usa - WKUYG - 07-05-2014 05:02 PM

(07-05-2014 04:21 PM)Niner National Wrote:  It is obvious that CUSA was trying to build as well rounded of a conference as possible with the additions. Charlotte, ODU, and WKU probably wouldn't be here if football was the only priority.

If football was all they wanted, they would have brought Ark State and Louisiana (great baseball here too obviously). The third team would have been App State, WKU, or Ga Southern.

I don't know if I would go that far...Western is 1 of only 8 nonbcs schools to win 7 or more games over the last 3 season and out of those 1 of 4 schools that had 2 wins over a bcs school. Ark St and UL-L isn't in that group of 4 and if you been to either place Western's football stadium is better than both. Our fan support isn't as good as Ark st or UL-L at this point but then again...

both are only two years removed from 16 to 17 thousand fans. And while Western stunk it up our first 2 years of FBS football...we went about it the right way to build for the future. Western redshirted our whole freshman classes to build for year 3 and on. Doing so Western did something in 5 short years that it took a lifetime for Ark St and UL-L to do...

3 back to back to back seasons of at least 7 wins and on our 4th head coach since we started FBS football. So while both of those schools had better seasons than Western...not head and shoulders better.

RE: why we came to c-usa - BRtransplant - 07-05-2014 05:19 PM

(07-05-2014 03:50 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 03:39 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Well-this is the C-USA board,did you expect people here to put the conference they came FROM above their NEW home?

No, of course not. But then he's a LaTech fan. Tech didn't come here directly from the Belt like you guys. My observation was that he can hardly make a post without tossing in an insult of the Belt.

I wasn't insulting the Sun Belt. I was simply pointing out the fact that as realignment is happening, everyone knows what's going on. You are correct that Tech was not in the Sun Belt. We were in the WAC, and as the WAC disintegrated around us, we all knew full well how important landing a spot in CUSA was to us since there would only be so many spots available. Thank goodness that invitation from CUSA came. The Sun Belt had already lost three members to CUSA by the time FAU and WKU were being considered. By the time the invitations were issued, it was a no brainer for them. You can be sure that the powers that be at WKU and FAU, as well as those at UL-L and Ark St, all knew what was at stake when those last two invitations went out. I understand what schools like USM and UL-L feel like. We were left high and dry when Boise, Fresno, Nevada, and Hawaii all left for the MWC. I don't wish bad for anyone in the Sun Belt, not even UL-L.

RE: why we came to c-usa - Niner National - 07-05-2014 05:35 PM

(07-05-2014 05:02 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 04:21 PM)Niner National Wrote:  It is obvious that CUSA was trying to build as well rounded of a conference as possible with the additions. Charlotte, ODU, and WKU probably wouldn't be here if football was the only priority.

I don't know if I would go that far...Western is 1 of only 8 nonbcs schools to win 7 or more games over the last 3 season and out of those 1 of 4 schools that had 2 wins over a bcs school. Ark St and UL-L isn't in that group of 4 and if you been to either place Western's football stadium is better than both. Our fan support isn't as good as Ark st or UL-L at this point but then again...

both are only two years removed from 16 to 17 thousand fans. And while Western stunk it up our first 2 years of FBS football...we went about it the right way to build for the future. Western redshirted our whole freshman classes to build for year 3 and on. Doing so Western did something in 5 short years that it took a lifetime for Ark St and UL-L to do...

3 back to back to back seasons of at least 7 wins and on our 4th head coach since we started FBS football. So while both of those schools had better seasons than Western...not head and shoulders better.
I meant no disrespect to WKU (happy you guys are here). I just think with programs having longer histories, solid fan support, and success recently (people are shortsighted) they would have gotten the nod over WKY. Just my opinion though.

RE: why we came to c-usa - WKUYG - 07-05-2014 05:40 PM

(07-05-2014 05:35 PM)Niner National Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 05:02 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  

I meant no disrespect to WKU (happy you guys are here). I just think with programs having longer histories, solid fan support, and success recently (people are shortsighted) they would have gotten the nod over WKY. Just my opinion though.

I understood what you said and why and didn't take as any disrespect..

just pointing out Western's been pretty good in football also :)

RE: why we came to c-usa - CajunFanatico - 07-05-2014 05:46 PM

(07-05-2014 05:02 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  both are only two years removed from 16 to 17 thousand fans.

Might want to check your facts before making such statements as the one I bolded.

Home Attendance 2011
Sept 17 Nicholls State @ Cajun Field 28,741
Oct 1 Florida Atlantic @ Cajun Field 26,333
Oct 8 Troy @ Cajun Field 29775
Oct 15 North Texas State @ Cajun Field 32,823
Nov 5 ULM @ Cajun Field 28,176

And for the record, we played WKU at Bowling Green that year. Your attendance was 15,122.

stAte fans can defend their own numbers.

RE: why we came to c-usa - WKUApollo - 07-05-2014 05:50 PM

(07-05-2014 05:46 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 05:02 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  both are only two years removed from 16 to 17 thousand fans.

Might want to check your facts before making such statements as the one I bolded.

Home Attendance 2011
Sept 17 Nicholls State @ Cajun Field 28,741
Oct 1 Florida Atlantic @ Cajun Field 26,333
Oct 8 Troy @ Cajun Field 29775
Oct 15 North Texas State @ Cajun Field 32,823
Nov 5 ULM @ Cajun Field 28,176

And for the record, we played WKU at Bowling Green that year. Your attendance was 15,122.

stAte fans can defend their own numbers.

I'm sure he meant 3 years. 2010 ULL attendence average was 17,383. Arkansas State's was 17,394