CSNbbs
Looks like academics do matter to conferences? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Looks like academics do matter to conferences? (/thread-694069.html)

Pages: 1 2

Looks like academics do matter to conferences? - miko33 - 07-03-2014 08:53 AM

Article from UL country. Clearly the president sees a significant benefit to associating with a different conference for academic purposes as well as athletic ones.

http://www.whas11.com/home/UofLs-move-to-ACC-to-help-academics-265445001.html

I would argue that other current ACC members may not have jumped ship to the Big12 and B1G because of the current ties between the schools that go beyond athletics. Please don't try to bring up the CIC myths in this thread, because it is nowhere close to what people try to state it is on these forums. All it means is that B1G schools try to deepen relationships between schools outside of athletics as well - something the Big12, SEC and even the PAC does not seem to do to the same extent.

Just thought it was an interesting article.

RE: Looks like academics do matter to conferences? - MWC Tex - 07-03-2014 09:04 AM

The PAC does have deep relationships outside of athletics. Academics do matter to that conference and a reason why BSU wasn't even considered for PAC expansion.

RE: Looks like academics do matter to conferences? - miko33 - 07-03-2014 09:07 AM

(07-03-2014 09:04 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  The PAC does have deep relationships outside of athletics. Academics do matter to that conference and a reason why BSU wasn't even considered for PAC expansion.

I stand corrected on that one. Don't know much about the PAC outside of athletics, though I knew BSU was not considered because of academics and religious affiliated schools in general are frowned upon for inclusion in the conference.

RE: Looks like academics do matter to conferences? - HawkeyeCoug - 07-03-2014 09:30 AM

I'm not sure that academic associations matter as much as people claim. The real money through academics is through research grants, which is usually done in a small level by professors and their teams. When I was at a Big 10 University (Iowa) we collaborated with local industry, a Big 12 school (Texas) and an ACC school (Wake Forest). When I was at a Pac 10 school (Arizona) we collaborated with local industry, the military, an ACC school (Maryland) and had some connections with a Big 10 school (Northwestern).

I think "academic association" only matters to presidents and other high level administrators. Basically, it determines if they get to hang out with the "cool kids." As far as actually doing research and getting funding, that is done by the actual workers. Research interest and likelihood of bringing in funding seems to be the real drivers, not which table the president gets to sit at. Conference affiliation sounds cool, but I think the reality is much different when you talk about actual research being done. In contrast, the Claremont colleges have real cooperation, not just lip service and afternoon tea together.

There is always an exception, and in this case it is probably the U of U. Known for their prominent placement of Pac 12 stickers everywhere, they apparently had Pac-12 banners at their graduation ceremonies. Never saw any Pac 12 garb at the U of A - graduation or otherwise.

RE: Looks like academics do matter to conferences? - john01992 - 07-03-2014 09:43 AM

been saying it for awhile. Only an SEC invite is enough to convince the southern ACC schools to break their ties with the VA & NC schools for academic reasons.

RE: Looks like academics do matter to conferences? - Hank Schrader - 07-03-2014 09:48 AM

How you can get from a single school (UofL) being happy to be associated with a conference where every school is academically stronger than it to "academics do matter to conferences" is a mystery.

RE: Looks like academics do matter to conferences? - miko33 - 07-03-2014 10:24 AM

(07-03-2014 09:48 AM)Hank Schrader Wrote:  How you can get from a single school (UofL) being happy to be associated with a conference where every school is academically stronger than it to "academics do matter to conferences" is a mystery.

UL is one school, true. But it's reasonable to assume that other schools share similar feelings along these lines. A lot of people on these boards try to state that academics have zero bearing on athletic associations. That statement is clearly false. Granted, maybe a few schools are strong enough academically that they don't care if they are sharing a conference with schools with fewer academic accomplishments (like Vandy or Rice). I argue that many other schools who are solid but not household names on the academic front WANT to broaden their academic appeal by associating with other schools that do have stronger academic credentials.

In the article, Ramsey (UL's president) states that the ACC opened up doors to collaborations that were previously unavailable to the school. So clearly there are other benefits to conference affiliation that goes beyond just academics. It stands to reason that if the schools have connections that go beyond athletics, it will be significantly harder for a schools to simply leave a P5 for another P5. I stated this a long time ago and I'll state it again - the academic mission of the universities is the dog and athletics is merely the tail.

RE: Looks like academics do matter to conferences? - miko33 - 07-03-2014 10:28 AM

(07-03-2014 09:30 AM)HawkeyeCoug Wrote:  I'm not sure that academic associations matter as much as people claim. The real money through academics is through research grants, which is usually done in a small level by professors and their teams. When I was at a Big 10 University (Iowa) we collaborated with local industry, a Big 12 school (Texas) and an ACC school (Wake Forest). When I was at a Pac 10 school (Arizona) we collaborated with local industry, the military, an ACC school (Maryland) and had some connections with a Big 10 school (Northwestern).

I think "academic association" only matters to presidents and other high level administrators. Basically, it determines if they get to hang out with the "cool kids." As far as actually doing research and getting funding, that is done by the actual workers. Research interest and likelihood of bringing in funding seems to be the real drivers, not which table the president gets to sit at. Conference affiliation sounds cool, but I think the reality is much different when you talk about actual research being done. In contrast, the Claremont colleges have real cooperation, not just lip service and afternoon tea together.

There is always an exception, and in this case it is probably the U of U. Known for their prominent placement of Pac 12 stickers everywhere, they apparently had Pac-12 banners at their graduation ceremonies. Never saw any Pac 12 garb at the U of A - graduation or otherwise.

I'm not saying that the ACC, B1G, etc have a goal to share research money among the group and secure grants as a conference block (like we've heard about the CIC myths on this board), but the article clearly states that collaborations that were previously off limits are now available to U of L because of membership in the ACC. I'm not speculating, that's what the article states.

RE: Looks like academics do matter to conferences? - perimeterpost - 07-03-2014 11:08 AM

when you're the weakest athletic conference amongst your peers of course you're going to try position yourself as the conference that cares about academics.

RE: Looks like academics do matter to conferences? - brista21 - 07-03-2014 11:09 AM

I think it matters because the red tape for collaborations or resource sharing is easier to navigate in a broad based partnership like day the Big Ten/CIC has. But it's far from the be all and end all.

On another note Rutgers and Ohio State had been collaborating separately with the University of Sao Paulo on agricultural research specifically plant based fuels for over 20 and nearly 30 years respectively. They've all met together in biannual conferences for the last 15 years, but the collaborations have really been two bilateral relationships rather than a trilateral one. Now both schools are going to be collaborating together with the University of Sao Paulo as a result of the other Big Ten and CIC partnerships.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

RE: Looks like academics do matter to conferences? - HeartOfDixie - 07-03-2014 11:43 AM

(07-03-2014 09:48 AM)Hank Schrader Wrote:  How you can get from a single school (UofL) being happy to be associated with a conference where every school is academically stronger than it to "academics do matter to conferences" is a mystery.

This

Still, Louisville will benefit a lot since it will be easier to move from the worst P5 school in the nation up a few slots.

RE: Looks like academics do matter to conferences? - miko33 - 07-03-2014 11:54 AM

(07-03-2014 11:09 AM)brista21 Wrote:  I think it matters because the red tape for collaborations or resource sharing is easier to navigate in a broad based partnership like day the Big Ten/CIC has. But it's far from the be all and end all.

On another note Rutgers and Ohio State had been collaborating separately with the University of Sao Paulo on agricultural research specifically plant based fuels for over 20 and nearly 30 years respectively. They've all met together in biannual conferences for the last 15 years, but the collaborations have really been two bilateral relationships rather than a trilateral one. Now both schools are going to be collaborating together with the University of Sao Paulo as a result of the other Big Ten and CIC partnerships.

It's not the be all/end all, and I realize that plenty of schools collaborate on a variety of areas that are not linked via an athletic conference. All I'm saying is that it is a part of the equation. Will it stop FSU, GT and Clemson from joining the SEC if invited? IDK, probably not. But at the same time, it IS a way to cement deeper relationships that otherwise may not naturally develop. Deeper entanglements are harder to untangle if a school is debating a conference move - especially if the conference is more than just a marriage of convenience.

RE: Looks like academics do matter to conferences? - ken d - 07-03-2014 03:18 PM

(07-03-2014 09:30 AM)HawkeyeCoug Wrote:  I'm not sure that academic associations matter as much as people claim. The real money through academics is through research grants, which is usually done in a small level by professors and their teams. When I was at a Big 10 University (Iowa) we collaborated with local industry, a Big 12 school (Texas) and an ACC school (Wake Forest). When I was at a Pac 10 school (Arizona) we collaborated with local industry, the military, an ACC school (Maryland) and had some connections with a Big 10 school (Northwestern).

I think it's true that it only matters to the high level administrators. That being said, they are the ones making the final decisions. And even then, it is only one factor in the decision, never the factor.

And I think "academic association" has a limited meaning here. That is, I think it has less to do with actual, day to day cooperation or interaction, and more to do with perception. I think presidents generally prefer to be associated with other schools they view as peers. So it's not that they are sitting with the "cool kids". It's a lot like high school, where the jocks sit with the jocks and the nerds sit with the nerds. It's their comfort zone.

RE: Looks like academics do matter to conferences? - jrj84105 - 07-03-2014 07:19 PM

(07-03-2014 03:18 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(07-03-2014 09:30 AM)HawkeyeCoug Wrote:  There is always an exception, and in this case it is probably the U of U. Known for their prominent placement of Pac 12 stickers everywhere, they apparently had Pac-12 banners at their graduation ceremonies. Never saw any Pac 12 garb at the U of A - graduation or otherwise.
And I think "academic association" has a limited meaning here. That is, I think it has less to do with actual, day to day cooperation or interaction, and more to do with perception. I think presidents generally prefer to be associated with other schools they view as peers. So it's not that they are sitting with the "cool kids". It's a lot like high school, where the jocks sit with the jocks and the nerds sit with the nerds. It's their comfort zone.

Branding is important, and conference affiliation provides a branding opportunity. A lot of perceived academic strength comes down to reputation, especially in ranking tools such as the USNWR which are heavily perception based. For schools moving to a new conference, especially a conference with more academic prestige, the opportunity to improve perception is going to be exploited.

If the side effect is that it increases the awareness that a competing local university lacks academic freedom, is a lower tier research institution, and generates all of its academic prestige by attracting high test score applicants through heavily subsidized tuition without actually providing quality professors or learning opportunities, then more the reason to do so. If that results in immense childish butt-hurt from the opposing school just at the sight of a conference logo, then by all means the other school will leverage its new conference association to the maximum extent.

RE: Looks like academics do matter to conferences? - buffdog - 07-03-2014 08:07 PM

When athletes, that represent a program, have to meet the same entrance requirements as regular students, then I will believe it is about academics, until then, no it is not about academics.

RE: Looks like academics do matter to conferences? - CrazyPaco - 07-03-2014 09:30 PM

(07-03-2014 11:09 AM)brista21 Wrote:  I think it matters because the red tape for collaborations or resource sharing is easier to navigate in a broad based partnership like day the Big Ten/CIC has. But it's far from the be all and end all.

Bilateral, you mean, like when RU and OSU started their joint tripartite PhD program with USP 10 years ago? That's bilateral? Despite it being called the "Tripartite Collaborative", for what, I don't know, at least a decade?

No, this sells better as a CIC story the day Rutgers enters the Big Ten even though there is nothing new.

BTW, I like how the first project listed on Rutgers' CIC website is a Pitt and Wake led institute. That must be because the ACCIAC is so incredible, no?

RE: Looks like academics do matter to conferences? - Wedge - 07-03-2014 09:59 PM

(07-03-2014 08:07 PM)buffdog Wrote:  When athletes, that represent a program, have to meet the same entrance requirements as regular students, then I will believe it is about academics, until then, no it is not about academics.

To be fair, talented musicians attending a university's school of music also don't need the same grades and test scores as freshmen who intend to major in engineering. But we should ask that each athlete is closer to the credentials of the average incoming student than they are now.

RE: Looks like academics do matter to conferences? - 33laszlo99 - 07-03-2014 10:06 PM

(07-03-2014 09:30 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  

Bilateral, you mean, like when RU and OSU started their joint tripartite PhD program with USP 10 years ago? That's bilateral? Despite it being called the "Tripartite Collaborative", for what, I don't know, at least a decade?

No, this sells better as a CIC story the day Rutgers enters the Big Ten even though there is nothing new.

BTW, I like how the first project listed on Rutgers' CIC website is a Pitt and Wake led institute. That must be because the ACCIAC is so incredible, no?

These bureaucrats dispensed the only lip service that would be acceptable to their community and sister institutions. They knew this subject would have to be addressed. What could they say? "We don't really care too much about that academics stuff"?? They had little latitude.
If you still don't think the CIC is significant to the administrators, ask yourself why Johns Hopkins moved their lax program to the B1G.

RE: Looks like academics do matter to conferences? - SuperFlyBCat - 07-03-2014 11:59 PM

(07-03-2014 09:59 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(07-03-2014 08:07 PM)buffdog Wrote:  When athletes, that represent a program, have to meet the same entrance requirements as regular students, then I will believe it is about academics, until then, no it is not about academics.

To be fair, talented musicians attending a university's school of music also don't need the same grades and test scores as freshmen who intend to major in engineering. But we should ask that each athlete is closer to the credentials of the average incoming student than they are now.

At Cincinnati that is not the case. Our Grads kinda run Broadway productions.

RE: Looks like academics do matter to conferences? - He1nousOne - 07-04-2014 02:31 AM

What is with you ACC guys having to make this argument over and over? For telling people to not bring up the CIC, you brought it up like three times before anyone else even bothered.

All that seems to matter in this thread is that ACC fans, especially the of the new additions, seem hard up to sell the conference for some reason.

You want to think the ACC is a better academic conference than the Big Ten? Go ahead, I personally could care less and most others would feel the same. Spent too much time as a little brother to know how to act now huh?