CSNbbs
USA Today Preview - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Western Michigan (/forum-469.html)
+------ Forum: The Dan Burgardt Memorial Bronco Football Forum (/forum-489.html)
+------ Thread: USA Today Preview (/thread-694038.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

USA Today Preview - bostonbronco - 07-02-2014 07:34 PM

This may have been posted before, however, it does refresh the mind of players, positions, weaknesses, strengths, and pitfalls for next year.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/05/07/western-michigan-wmu-pj-fleck-2014-preview-roster-schedule-football-four/8771063/

RE: USA Today Preview - Hoekjeness - 07-02-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:The greatest recruiting class in Mid-American Conference history has been assembled. It's one that dinged a few bluebloods – particularly the bottom section of the Big Ten – while leaving the rest of the MAC in the dust, giving Western Michigan and second-year coach P.J. Fleck the horses to ride back into postseason play.

Quote:His recruiting prowess will give Fleck a two-year pass – and he'll take every second, I'd think. The first pass was for 2013; the second is for 2014, when the Broncos' staff will be taxed by the responsibility of getting an unparalleled recruiting class ready for August and September. These three-star freshmen are still freshmen, after all.

Quote:The foundation is in place for a pretty good defense – not this year, perhaps not next year, but at some point in the future. The defense as a whole is dreadfully young along the front seven... So the front seven embarks on a painful learning curve.

Quote:...the future isn't merely around the corner; it's years away, as in two or more, and this year's team is far too young, raw, untested and inexperienced to expect any major growth from a season ago. How can WMU turn the tide? By being patient as the talented roster grows accustomed to the college game... This is not the year WMU turns the page.

Quote:Dream season: WMU sweeps that winnable quartet, upsets Ohio and sneaks past rival Central Michigan to secure bowl eligibility at least one season ahead of schedule.

Never knew USA Today was Fleck-apologists! 04-drinky 04-drinky 04-drinky

Joking aside, there is plenty of warranted skepticism scattered throughout the article. Does a nice job of showing both sides of the equation I think. There's clearly some misinformation in there about who is guaranteed to play at what position, but it's not too far off and pretty solid for a national publication. Not bad.

RE: USA Today Preview - Broncobelt - 07-02-2014 08:17 PM

I still cringe when I read that article and come across the "buffoinsh" comment. That one really hurts.

Quote:it's hard to digest just how rapidly this program fell from the MAC's top half: Western Michigan wasn't merely bad but buffoonish, taking the field every Saturday for three months and ineptly dropping game after game against teams good, bad and ambivalent.

RE: USA Today Preview - Hoekjeness - 07-02-2014 08:24 PM

It's refreshing to see a national writer be realistic about our expectations as well.

For every "buffoonish" comment, there are two or three more comments that see the bigger picture for what it is. More than one season.

RE: USA Today Preview - DesertBronco - 07-02-2014 09:18 PM

You mean that liberal rag is right now? 03-lmfao

RE: USA Today Preview - WheresWaldo42 - 07-03-2014 05:40 AM

(07-02-2014 08:24 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  It's refreshing to see a national writer be realistic about our expectations as well.

For every "buffoonish" comment, there are two or three more comments that see the bigger picture for what it is. More than one season.

I can agree with this.

I think that is all that I ask is that we try to be realistic in our expectations.

So while you and I were bickering about what we see/feel. I was trying to point out my expectations based on what I see and think is going to happen in the near future. While you merely choose to look at the bigger picture down the road.

Like you said, I think this guy makes valid points towards both perspectives.

RE: USA Today Preview - Hoekjeness - 07-03-2014 06:12 AM

04-cheers

That's why I get upset when I see people "guaranteeing" 4 wins and "realistically expecting" 6 wins. USA Today is calling a 6-win season for WMU a dream season.

Let's be realistic about this and understand it's going to take a few years before we see any real, significant progress.

Now if we turn around ago 0-12 or 1-11 again, then I'll start raising some red flags. But for now, this is a process.

RE: USA Today Preview - Chipdip2 - 07-03-2014 06:56 AM

(07-03-2014 06:12 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  04-cheers

That's why I get upset when I see people "guaranteeing" 4 wins and "realistically expecting" 6 wins. USA Today is calling a 6-win season for WMU a dream season.

Let's be realistic about this and understand it's going to take a few years before we see any real, significant progress.

Now if we turn around ago 0-12 or 1-11 again, then I'll start raising some red flags. But for now, this is a process.

I'm not sure if you're spinning or deflecting there. I'll let DB make that call.

I agree, 6 wins would be a dream season, but if they stay healthy and the freshmen develop quickly it could happen.

By the way Phil Steele projects Stewart as our #1 QB. I don't think he starts the season that way, but I could see him getting inserted in the second half of a VT blowout, playing well, and getting the start against UT.

Purdues QB started the last 7 games of the season as a true freshmen, and their team improved.

RE: USA Today Preview - Dirty Ernie - 07-03-2014 07:05 AM

(07-03-2014 06:12 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  04-cheers

The part that worries me is most of us are predicting and assuming that "in a few years we will see real, significant progress". That is Probably true, but nothing is guaranteed. We have talked about the process part before. There have been steps taken in the process, but the next steps are the ones we still don't know if PJ has the skills he needs.

But not to start it up again. This article does seem to paint a realistic picture of our prospects.

RE: USA Today Preview - MajorHoople - 07-03-2014 07:23 AM

The guy we're counting on to coach us to "real, significant progress" is the one who coached us to "buffoonish" performances last season after years, as article says, "in MAC's top half."

RE: USA Today Preview - Hoekjeness - 07-03-2014 08:19 AM

(07-03-2014 06:56 AM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  Purdues QB started the last 7 games of the season as a true freshmen, and their team improved.

Yeah, Etling looked very promising for them last year. I think we're going to see a Purdue team that's better than most expect this upcoming season. By no means will they be a bowl team, but I could see them improving to 4 or 5 wins.

I think we have a shot at surprising them, but don't find it very likely.

RE: USA Today Preview - Hoekjeness - 07-03-2014 08:21 AM

(07-03-2014 07:05 AM)Dirty Ernie Wrote:  The part that worries me is most of us are predicting and assuming that "in a few years we will see real, significant progress". That is Probably true, but nothing is guaranteed.

I'm not "assuming" he will win... I'm just trying to be realistic about what I expect to happen under a normal rebuilding process. It doesn't usually happen in 1 or 2 seasons. Like I said, there will be some real red flags for me and others if we don't see some type of improvement and growth this year.

RE: USA Today Preview - DesertBronco - 07-03-2014 08:38 AM

Those four games we speak about, one against Murray State, Idaho, Miami and EMU are the real barometer of our progress. No sliding around that at all.

Try as you will.

RE: USA Today Preview - Hoekjeness - 07-03-2014 08:43 AM

We will be lucky to be favored in two of those games. Not saying we shouldn't win them, but they shouldn't be viewed as guaranteed wins either.

"Try as you will"

RE: USA Today Preview - DesertBronco - 07-03-2014 08:47 AM

Barometer, and we should be favored road or not. Doesn't matter, we lose any of those and we have either been surpassed by a 1AA team or a team coming off a season as bad or worse than ours with a first year coach.

Can't mealy mouth that fact down.

RE: USA Today Preview - MajorHoople - 07-03-2014 08:55 AM

How far we have fallen.

RE: USA Today Preview - Hoekjeness - 07-03-2014 09:04 AM

(07-03-2014 08:47 AM)DesertBronco Wrote:  Barometer, and we should be favored road or not. Doesn't matter, we lose any of those and we have either been surpassed by a 1AA team or a team coming off a season as bad or worse than ours with a first year coach.

Can't mealy mouth that fact down.

I guess using those games as a "barometer" is fair.

However...

Murray St? Please god, let's not have a repeat of last year. I don't think we will.
EMU? We always struggle against them... but I agree, we "should" beat them IMO.
Miami? On the road, on homecoming, going to be a difficult (but not impossible) environment. Toss-up game to me.
Idaho? Playing out west is difficult, regardless of the opponent. I keep bringing this up, but it took a 2nd half comeback from NIU to beat them last year. We won't be favored in this game.

I'd like to see us win at least 2 of those game, ideally 3, and then steal another one somewhere along the way. That would be considered good progress IMO.

RE: USA Today Preview - DesertBronco - 07-03-2014 10:19 AM

The three 1A teams have new coaches and were pathetic. You don't use normal road or event evaluations for gsmes against teams like these.

RE: USA Today Preview - Broncobelt - 07-03-2014 11:24 AM

Hoekey and DB - Why do you both assume that we should beat EMU this year? They always play us tough, and we could not beat them days after their HC was fired last year. The new man is a proven HC that knows how to win.

I do not just assume that we can/or should beat them. I'd love to win as they are an instate rival (heck I'm happy with most any win), But all to often they rise to the occasion when playing WMU.

As I have said earlier, they worry me with Creighton as their HC.

RE: USA Today Preview - DesertBronco - 07-03-2014 12:54 PM

No assume. If we don't win, that's very telling on our progression. Same for the other three games I'm speaking about in this context.