CSNbbs
Is It Time for UC to Go All In For Soccer - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: Is It Time for UC to Go All In For Soccer (/thread-693999.html)

Pages: 1 2

Is It Time for UC to Go All In For Soccer - CliftonAve - 07-02-2014 01:34 PM

I am going to admit I am not a big soccer guy but I have been watching some of the World Cup.

It seems to me the city has been following this event very closely. We have huge crowds on Fountain Square and last night Cincinnati was the #8 market in the country for the US/Belgium match.

Question: Is it Time for UC to go all in for soccer? It is my understanding it is a club team still, correct? Maybe it is time to capitalize on all the momentum and go varsity. The team could market itself as "The City's Team"?

RE: Is It Time for UC to Go All In For Soccer - Cataclysmo - 07-02-2014 01:35 PM

I thought it was a varsity sport myself, but I really dont know

RE: Is It Time for UC to Go All In For Soccer - bearcatfan - 07-02-2014 01:39 PM

I don't follow soccer but I'm 99% certain UC has been competing in it as a varsity sport for many years in the Big East and the AAC.

And they have a decent facility for it in Gettler Stadium.

RE: Is It Time for UC to Go All In For Soccer - CliftonAve - 07-02-2014 01:44 PM

I stand corrected that they are not just a Club Sport.

That being said, it appears this community has been very supportive of the World Cup. I think we need to use that to our advantage somehow.

RE: Is It Time for UC to Go All In For Soccer - socTHEgreat - 07-02-2014 01:45 PM

It is for sure a varsity sport at UC but there is also a club team that occasionally enters national club events.

RE: Is It Time for UC to Go All In For Soccer - mac6115cd - 07-02-2014 01:52 PM

Yes, it's a varsity sport. The season starts in August and the AAC tournament is in November.

And I agree, UC needs to elevate men's soccer. While we've improved our FB and BB teams and getting baseball turned around, we need to make noise in our other NCAA olympic sports.

RE: Is It Time for UC to Go All In For Soccer - BearcatMan - 07-02-2014 02:02 PM

(07-02-2014 01:45 PM)socTHEgreat Wrote:  It is for sure a varsity sport at UC but there is also a club team that occasionally enters national club events.

UC's club team has made it to at least the National Quarterfinals in every year in the past half decade...they are very talented. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the varsity team at the moment. Coach Dayes has been given WAY too long a leash because of his Big East Championship in '06.

RE: Is It Time for UC to Go All In For Soccer - Crewdogz - 07-02-2014 02:04 PM

I went to the UL game last year and UC pulled off the upset over a ranked team. It was a great experience.

RE: Is It Time for UC to Go All In For Soccer - rosewater - 07-02-2014 02:12 PM

(07-02-2014 02:04 PM)Crewdogz Wrote:  I went to the UL game last year and UC pulled off the upset over a ranked team. It was a great experience.

It is apparent to me that soccer is very popular with the young people, and we should treat it accordingly. When I grew up, Soccer was not a major sport like today. Consequently, I cannot relate. I find it extremely boring due to the lack of scoring. However, one time I put 20 dollars on Brazil to beat someone in the World Cup and I was amazed about the number of shots on goal.

RE: Is It Time for UC to Go All In For Soccer - Bruce Monnin - 07-02-2014 02:13 PM

The country gets very supportive of swimming every four years. No one shows up at college meets.

The country went nuts for hockey one Olympics. Few go to college games (with a few notable exceptions).

I love curling every four years. I doubt a UC curling team would draw well.

Despite hearing every World Cup and every Olympics that this is the time soccer is going to take off in the USA, it hasn't. It has shown a nice, slow, steady growth, and I believe it will continue to do so. But don't expect the sudden explosion in popularity that keeps getting predicted.

RE: Is It Time for UC to Go All In For Soccer - cinbinsportsfan - 07-02-2014 02:26 PM

(07-02-2014 02:13 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  The country gets very supportive of swimming every four years. No one shows up at college meets.

The country went nuts for hockey one Olympics. Few go to college games (with a few notable exceptions).

Despite hearing every World Cup and every Olympics that this is the time soccer is going to take off in the USA, it hasn't. It has shown a nice, slow, steady growth, and I believe it will continue to do so. But don't expect the sudden explosion in popularity that keeps getting predicted.

Personally, I'd like to see UC invest in hockey a little more. It's not really a revenue sport (until you reach Miami Redhawk levels) and certainly doesn't garner the attention at the collegiate level of football or basketball. But I've been to a few games at Sportsplus and they were pretty entertaining. Plus UC is nestled in an area of the country with some solid high school hockey programs (St. X, Moeller, Lakota West come to mind off the top of my head).

It's probably just the hockey fan in me but I'd love to see Cincinnati get to the level of Miami-OH hockey. That would be one heck of a rivalry.

RE: Is It Time for UC to Go All In For Soccer - Crewdogz - 07-02-2014 02:53 PM

(07-02-2014 02:26 PM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 02:13 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  The country gets very supportive of swimming every four years. No one shows up at college meets.

Personally, I'd like to see UC invest in hockey a little more. It's not really a revenue sport (until you reach Miami Redhawk levels) and certainly doesn't garner the attention at the collegiate level of football or basketball. But I've been to a few games at Sportsplus and they were pretty entertaining. Plus UC is nestled in an area of the country with some solid high school hockey programs (St. X, Moeller, Lakota West come to mind off the top of my head).

It's probably just the hockey fan in me but I'd love to see Cincinnati get to the level of Miami-OH hockey. That would be one heck of a rivalry.

That's the way I feel about Mens LAX. Cincinnati has some strong HS lacrosse teams; Ohio like TX isn't recruited very hard for lacrosse as most players play LAX and FB and tend to go the FB route vs. LAX.

http://www.laxpower.com/

RE: Is It Time for UC to Go All In For Soccer - SeniorBearcat - 07-02-2014 03:06 PM

Recent Nielsen Ratings
NFL Draft 1st Round - 19.7
NBA Finals Game 5 - 10.3
US - Belgium World Cup - 9.6
Stanley Cup Finals Game 5 - 3.7

Soccer ratings have come a long way and the sport IS growing in popularity here, but Football rules the entertainment discussion (and re-alignment). So I'm glad UC is addressing the football stadium first and foremost. I was at an event earlier this year that had 10 ADs from MI, OH and IN and their response to the fastest growing sport in collegiate athletics was lacrosse. I would be excited with UC adding a Men's Varsity Lacrosse program to the mix sooner rather than later.

RE: Is It Time for UC to Go All In For Soccer - Ragpicker - 07-02-2014 03:35 PM

(07-02-2014 03:06 PM)SeniorBearcat Wrote:  I was at an event earlier this year that had 10 ADs from MI, OH and IN and their response to the fastest growing sport in collegiate athletics was lacrosse. I would be excited with UC adding a Men's Varsity Lacrosse program to the mix sooner rather than later.

Sadly (from a high school tennis coach's perspective), Lacrosse is absolutely booming at the prep level. A three sport star is now considered: football in the fall, basketball/wrestling in the winter, and lacrosse in the spring.

RE: Is It Time for UC to Go All In For Soccer - Bearcat Otto - 07-02-2014 03:36 PM

(07-02-2014 02:53 PM)Crewdogz Wrote:  

That's the way I feel about Mens LAX. Cincinnati has some strong HS lacrosse teams; Ohio like TX isn't recruited very hard for lacrosse as most players play LAX and FB and tend to go the FB route vs. LAX.

You won't see either as a varsity sport until you find some woman's programs to off set the Title IX requirements.

RE: Is It Time for UC to Go All In For Soccer - dossbig - 07-02-2014 03:51 PM

I watched when my daughter played on Traveling Teams and in HS. I watch when US Men in World Cup or US Women in Worlds. But other than those games you would have to pay me.

RE: Is It Time for UC to Go All In For Soccer - Crewdogz - 07-02-2014 03:54 PM

(07-02-2014 03:06 PM)SeniorBearcat Wrote:  Recent Nielsen Ratings
NFL Draft 1st Round - 19.7
NBA Finals Game 5 - 10.3
US - Belgium World Cup - 9.6
Stanley Cup Finals Game 5 - 3.7

Soccer ratings have come a long way and the sport IS growing in popularity here, but Football rules the entertainment discussion (and re-alignment). So I'm glad UC is addressing the football stadium first and foremost. I was at an event earlier this year that had 10 ADs from MI, OH and IN and their response to the fastest growing sport in collegiate athletics was lacrosse. I would be excited with UC adding a Men's Varsity Lacrosse program to the mix sooner rather than later.

The ACC has some darn good Mens LAX teams in Duke, NC, VA, etc. and that may make the program more attractive to the league.

RE: Is It Time for UC to Go All In For Soccer - CliftonAve - 07-02-2014 03:58 PM

LAX is huge in the Columbus area. I think just about every one of the suburban schools had a lacrosse program. A lot of the suburban Cleveland schools do as well. I know tOSU plays a LAX game at Ohio Stadium right before the start of their Spring Game to ensure a large crowd.

RE: Is It Time for UC to Go All In For Soccer - subflea - 07-02-2014 08:21 PM

(07-02-2014 03:36 PM)Bearcat Otto Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 02:53 PM)Crewdogz Wrote:  

You won't see either as a varsity sport until you find some woman's programs to off set the Title IX requirements.

And you won't see any sport, men's or women's, added until we get into a P5 conference and start bringing in more money to support them.

RE: Is It Time for UC to Go All In For Soccer - bearcatlawjd - 07-02-2014 09:16 PM

World Cup soccer is great but there is still a disconnect between the way the game is played and the ability to generate ad revenue for it. American football is perfect for TV because it allows for commercials during the actual game without breaking up the flow of action. I wish another sport or two would come and challenge football's spot but that might take years of negative publicity for both the college and pro game. Soccer is an exciting sport, right up there with basketball in terms of non-stop action. Hockey while action oriented is very difficult to follow on TV. I would support an MLS team in Cincinnati but believe college soccer like other non-revenue sports or always going have small followings.