CSNbbs
OT - Tampa residents, come hither (Austin, TX too) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: OT - Tampa residents, come hither (Austin, TX too) (/thread-693897.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

OT - Tampa residents, come hither (Austin, TX too) - MemphisTigerFreak - 07-01-2014 12:25 PM

Off topic I know (sorry mods but the OT forum seems a little empty) but the wife and I are looking to move and have pretty much narrowed it down to Tampa, FL or Austin, TX. I'm currently a police officer in Memphis and have found these two departments/cities to be excellent as I have heard nothing but great things about both. I figured I would come on here since there is a large number of USF fans and maybe some Houston/SMU folks near Austin and get some input about the cities and surrounding area.

Basically, I'm asking if some of you could just throw a personal pitch for either Tampa or Austin if you live/have lived there. We were pretty set on Austin so I've pretty much researched it to death. I know little to nothing about Tampa though as I just started looking into it recently and the question my wife keeps asking me is do they have a beach there in Tampa, ha.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. And mods if this could atleast stay until I get a couple of responses, thanks!

RE: OT - Tampa residents, come hither (Austin, TX too) - invisiblehand - 07-01-2014 12:30 PM

(07-01-2014 12:25 PM)MemphisTigerFreak Wrote:  Off topic I know (sorry mods but the OT forum seems a little empty) but the wife and I are looking to move and have pretty much narrowed it down to Tampa, FL or Austin, TX. I'm currently a police officer in Memphis and have found these two departments/cities to be excellent as I have heard nothing but great things about both. I figured I would come on here since there is a large number of USF fans and maybe some Houston/SMU folks near Austin and get some input about the cities and surrounding area.

Basically, I'm asking if some of you could just throw a personal pitch for either Tampa or Austin if you live/have lived there. We were pretty set on Austin so I've pretty much researched it to death. I know little to nothing about Tampa though as I just started looking into it recently and the question my wife keeps asking me is do they have a beach there in Tampa, ha.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. And mods if this could atleast stay until I get a couple of responses, thanks!

How odd that they are both "bull" schools... (Texas & USF)

RE: OT - Tampa residents, come hither (Austin, TX too) - Kronke - 07-01-2014 12:33 PM

Texas hill country is beautiful, and a great place to live -- arguably the best in the country. Austin is THE nation's boom city right now. I've got family in Round Rock and Fredericksburg. I vacationed often as a kid in San Marcos and New Braunfels.

Never been to Tampa, but I hear it's really nice as well.

Good problem to have.

RE: OT - Tampa residents, come hither (Austin, TX too) - MemphisTigerFreak - 07-01-2014 12:33 PM

(07-01-2014 12:30 PM)invisiblehand Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 12:25 PM)MemphisTigerFreak Wrote:  Off topic I know (sorry mods but the OT forum seems a little empty) but the wife and I are looking to move and have pretty much narrowed it down to Tampa, FL or Austin, TX. I'm currently a police officer in Memphis and have found these two departments/cities to be excellent as I have heard nothing but great things about both. I figured I would come on here since there is a large number of USF fans and maybe some Houston/SMU folks near Austin and get some input about the cities and surrounding area.

How odd that they are both "bull" schools... (Texas & USF)

Haha, I assure you I will always be Tiger blue.

RE: OT - Tampa residents, come hither (Austin, TX too) - USFRamenu - 07-01-2014 12:43 PM

Best of luck which ever place you go. 04-cheers

Check your Messages.

RE: OT - Tampa residents, come hither (Austin, TX too) - KnightsFan5912 - 07-01-2014 12:50 PM

I live in Orlando currently, but have traveled to Tampa frequently and previously lived in Austin. If I were wanted to relocate to be a police officer, I would pick Austin 100% of the time. And would pick Austin over almost ANY city in Florida.

RE: OT - Tampa residents, come hither (Austin, TX too) - BullsFanInTX - 07-01-2014 12:53 PM

I used to live in Tampa, and now live 50 miles south of Austin (thus "BullsFanInTX"). Really can't go wrong with either location. Austin is a boom town, and is rapidly becoming a huge city. Last I checked Austin was closing in on 2 million people. The east side of Austin is going to be flatter/cheaper than the western hill country side (which is beautiful by the way). Cost of living/housing is very reasonable and downright cheap compared to a majority of country. I haven't lived in Tampa since 2000 so I don't know how the market is doing there now. I've heard it's much more reasonable since the housing crash of a few years ago. Each has many positives. I enjoyed Tampa and like Texas a lot too. The only 2 states I would definitely choose to live in would be either Florida or Texas. Climate wise, they are pretty similar. Tampa is more humid. Austin is a little hotter in summer/cooler in winter, but not too much. Don't know exactly what you are looking for but both have major positives IMO.

RE: OT - Tampa residents, come hither (Austin, TX too) - Insane_Baboon - 07-01-2014 01:04 PM

I live in Tampa (actually St Pete) right now and enjoy it, but I would MUCH rather live in Austin.

If you have specific questions about Tampa, I can answer them. Though I know nothing about the PD.

RE: OT - Tampa residents, come hither (Austin, TX too) - Pony94 - 07-01-2014 01:15 PM

Chief Acevedo is a great guy in Austin

RE: OT - Tampa residents, come hither (Austin, TX too) - BullsFanInTX - 07-01-2014 01:16 PM

(07-01-2014 01:04 PM)Insane_Baboon Wrote:  I live in Tampa (actually St Pete) right now and enjoy it, but I would MUCH rather live in Austin.
If you have specific questions about Tampa, I can answer them. Though I know nothing about the PD.

Why?

I don't have anything but good memories from living in the Tampa area. Lived in Brandon, and worked in Tampa.

RE: OT - Tampa residents, come hither (Austin, TX too) - KnightLight - 07-01-2014 02:56 PM

Both are excellent choices...as I have friends that live in the burbs of both Tampa and Austin...plenty there to do in each and really affordable housing (especially in Tampa).

Can't really make a bad choice...I would take your wife for weekend trips to both...look up in advance some homes/neighborhoods/small towns to check out and go for it.

Good luck.

RE: OT - Tampa residents, come hither (Austin, TX too) - Pony94 - 07-01-2014 02:57 PM

Would be nice to have someone move here not from California

RE: OT - Tampa residents, come hither (Austin, TX too) - St. H. Gink - 07-01-2014 03:13 PM

Being a police officer in Tampa you'll always have a job.

RE: OT - Tampa residents, come hither (Austin, TX too) - Cubanbull - 07-01-2014 03:56 PM

(07-01-2014 03:13 PM)St. H. Gink Wrote:  Being a police officer in Tampa you'll always have a job.

I know you are throwing a jab but since your school is in a Orlando you should have just passed on the comment.

If he is a good officer he won't have a problem getting a job anywhere.

Best of luck in whichever decision you take.

RE: OT - Tampa residents, come hither (Austin, TX too) - MemphisTigerFreak - 07-01-2014 09:57 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses! What's the deal with the connection between the two cities? I feel like everyone here has lived in both, ha.

RE: OT - Tampa residents, come hither (Austin, TX too) - BullsFanInTX - 07-01-2014 10:21 PM

People outside of Texas don't realize what a huge city Austin is. It's not some Podunk town. It's massive 2 million metro with a skyline twice the size of Tampa's. They just built several 600 foot towers. Traffic is a nightmare at times.

RE: OT - Tampa residents, come hither (Austin, TX too) - TampaKnight - 07-02-2014 09:13 AM

I'm a bit biased since I've lived here for over 16 years.

I've never been in Austin. But I don't really like it all too much here in Tampa.

RE: OT - Tampa residents, come hither (Austin, TX too) - 8BitPirate - 07-02-2014 09:17 AM

Both states have no income tax! :D

RE: OT - Tampa residents, come hither (Austin, TX too) - TexanMark - 07-02-2014 10:53 AM

I've lived in the Hill Country near Austin, now in San Antonio. I'm moving to Tampa Bay (Pinellas County) soon.

Both have a lot of great things going for them. If you are buying...Austin isn't that cheap anymore and real estate taxes are pretty high. Florida real estate is recovering fast. Traffic is horrible in Austin. Traffic can suck in Tampa too (bridge traffic). Austin has 7 days of winter, Tampa has 1-2 days of winter.

Either place I recommend getting into a good school distract and live as close to work as possible.

RE: OT - Tampa residents, come hither (Austin, TX too) - aTxTIGER - 07-02-2014 11:25 AM

Just talking to my law enforcement friends in Austin over the years(they work APD, AISDPD, RRPD, Cedar Park PD, WillCo SD, Travis Co SD), morale and training is better for Williamson County Sheriffs Department and Round Rock PD than for APD. APD does pay more. As Pony said above, Acevedo knows what he is doing.