CSNbbs
O Bannon Trail could open real gap with power 5 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: O Bannon Trail could open real gap with power 5 (/thread-693172.html)

O Bannon Trail could open real gap with power 5 - uabbean - 06-23-2014 08:30 PM

Like a lot of people on this board I was kinda enjoying watch the NCAA big wigs squirm on the stand.

Then I read what the plaintiffs are seeking. They want to set a portion of the likeness revenues to be set aside for the players for when they graduate (or perhaps at end of each year) by teams. The likeness revenues is primarily TV revenue. That cited the players share of one of the pro leagues was 20 percent.

CUSA TV revenues was 16 million. The SEC was 220 million (3rd of big 5). By my very wild calculations. Our players would get 10,000 bonus at end of four years. An SEC player would receive 150,000 at the end of four years. These numbers are not real - but something in the same order of magnitude will occur.

The big 5 now has a lot of advantages better facilities, more fan etc.
But if the plaintiffs win - a big Legal cash payment to players who sign with them

RE: O Bannon Trail could open real gap with power 5 - WesternBlazer - 06-23-2014 08:47 PM

I think things only really change if they increase the number of schollys offered by P5 schools and, with less money getting to the colleges of the top for players, I doubt that happens. So, there will still be the same or fewer schollys available. The top players will continue to go to the P5 conferences. There would be, however, a lot fewer players passing on P5 schools for G5 schools. Even the Kentuckys and Kansas of the P5 would get top level players, many of whom may have signed with a G5 scholly before...

RE: O Bannon Trail could open real gap with power 5 - GreenMississippi - 06-23-2014 08:48 PM

It could change the model of college athletics to officially for-profit or something resembling that. Kids playing in the "SEC" might not even be students at the name they play under (much like the fans who root for them).

RE: O Bannon Trail could open real gap with power 5 - WesternBlazer - 06-23-2014 08:57 PM

(06-23-2014 08:00 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  C-USA Commissioner Britton Banowsky says some programs could discontinue football if O'Bannon plaintiffs win
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/06/c-usa_commissioner_britton_ban_1.html#incart_river

Always thought this was overstated as conferences like the SunBelt get practically no TV money and survive...

Interesting fact that has come out of this trial - coaches salaries account for twice as much as the value of players' schollys:

Banowsky and NCAA managing director of research Todd Petr both acknowledged the role of skyrocketing coaches' salaries, which Petr said account for 32 percent of expenses, as opposed to 16 percent for athlete grant-in-aid.