CSNbbs
Not redshirting any true freshmen for the first year in FBS - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Not redshirting any true freshmen for the first year in FBS (/thread-692284.html)

Pages: 1 2

Not redshirting any true freshmen for the first year in FBS - EigenEagle - 06-13-2014 09:16 AM

I saw recently in an interview where Willie Fritz was suggesting very few if any of our incoming freshmen are going to be redshirted for 2014. Seems like it could be a good idea to help close the depth gap with a lot of our opponents but it seems like it could backfire too.

Any App fans know if Satterfield has said anything about true freshmen contributing this year?

And you recent move-uppers like Georgia State and USA, did you not redshirt any freshmen your first year of FBS competition?

RE: Not redshirting any true freshmen for the first year in FBS - GoApps70 - 06-13-2014 09:36 AM

Certain some will be redshirted at App State. Many fans wondered
if too many were redshirted last year.

RE: Not redshirting any true freshmen for the first year in FBS - Saint3333 - 06-13-2014 09:56 AM

Bringing in a class of 27 at App, I'd guess over half will be redshirted. Likely players at positions that we have depth:

Caruso - QB, if he doesn't redshirt that will mean huge things for this kid
Stringer - LB
Edge-Campbell - OL - if we don't redshirt will be a great sign
Boyd - RB -
Moore - RB
Greer - OL
Painter - OL
Boggs - LB
Exford - S
Benton - DE
And at least 4 of the 8 WRs we're bringing in.

RE: Not redshirting any true freshmen for the first year in FBS - TheRevSWT - 06-13-2014 10:10 AM

Texas State, for the first two years, redshirted just about every player we had come in. There were some exceptions, of course, but the lion's share of the incoming freshmen redshirted.

It sucked because we needed the depth and the skills, but I think (Hope? Pray?) this season that decision pays off.

RE: Not redshirting any true freshmen for the first year in FBS - GoApps70 - 06-13-2014 10:20 AM

Would have to be an awfully strong team to redshirt every incoming football player.

RE: Not redshirting any true freshmen for the first year in FBS - AppManDG - 06-13-2014 10:21 AM

INteresting decision by Fritz. Redshirting is the about only way to build depth. I'm wondering if he is having some attrition?

RE: Not redshirting any true freshmen for the first year in FBS - boroeagle2 - 06-13-2014 10:33 AM

(06-13-2014 10:21 AM)AppManDG Wrote:  INteresting decision by Fritz. Redshirting is the about only way to build depth. I'm wondering if he is having some attrition?

We've had some. If I had to guess this class will end up about half and half or maybe a few more non RS than RS.

RE: Not redshirting any true freshmen for the first year in FBS - TrueBlueAlum - 06-13-2014 10:45 AM

(06-13-2014 10:21 AM)AppManDG Wrote:  INteresting decision by Fritz. Redshirting is the about only way to build depth. I'm wondering if he is having some attrition?

He also stated that it's not really his "philosophy" to red-shirt, period. So I don't think he's into redshirting very many guys in the first place, especially in a season where we will need some more help in the 2's and 3's.

Could be a good recruitment tool, "I don't plan on redshirting many incoming freshman so you'll get a chance to play right away."

RE: Not redshirting any true freshmen for the first year in FBS - Tuscon - 06-13-2014 10:48 AM

You'll find that the caliber of recruit you have coming in will increase so that less with be RS. They just won't need the extra year of training. Georgia State RS some incoming freshman, but let many many play. It's absolutely a great recruiting tactic. You've been recruiting at an FCS level. The guys you get to come in now will be FBS caliber and will be ready to play over many on the current roster because of it.

RE: Not redshirting any true freshmen for the first year in FBS - Dedsquirrl - 06-13-2014 10:54 AM

South had a good number of Redshirts.
But our transition to FBS wasn't the traditional path like yall are taking.
We had a couple of years where kids were technically redshirted but were allowed to play.
So they got defacto 5 years of eligibility actually on the field.

I think the last of those players are playing their senior seasons this year.

RE: Not redshirting any true freshmen for the first year in FBS - DoubleAggie - 06-13-2014 12:05 PM

UTEP coach a few years back had the philosophy of red-shirtting ALL freshmen - for years.
The resulting 5th year seniors would be bigger,stronger, and more experienced, he reasoned.

Only problem - he didn't make it 5 years.

The follow on coach's first years were great - all those 5th year guys,
but the previous coach paid the price.

Gotta have patience to go that route.

RE: Not redshirting any true freshmen for the first year in FBS - AppManDG - 06-13-2014 12:29 PM

App normally holds about half the class back. Last year Satterfield redshirted 9 guys. 1 inside & 1 outside LB, 2 secondary, 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR and 2 OL.

RE: Not redshirting any true freshmen for the first year in FBS - AtlantaJag - 06-13-2014 01:13 PM

(06-13-2014 10:54 AM)Dedsquirrl Wrote:  South had a good number of Redshirts.
But our transition to FBS wasn't the traditional path like yall are taking.
We had a couple of years where kids were technically redshirted but were allowed to play.
So they got defacto 5 years of eligibility actually on the field.

I think the last of those players are playing their senior seasons this year.

Those five-year players have allowed USA to redshirt a lot of players the last couple of years. I think our usual recruiting pattern will be about 5-7 JUCOs per year, the rest freshman of which only one or two will play immediately and the rest redshirted.

RE: Not redshirting any true freshmen for the first year in FBS - TheRevSWT - 06-13-2014 01:28 PM

(06-13-2014 10:20 AM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Would have to be an awfully strong team to redshirt every incoming football player.

Not really. It's sacrificing now, to make sure that in 2-3 years, your team has the best possible players together and out there.

It gives the incoming athletes a year in the system, a year of college weight training, a year of working with the other guys, a year of working with top level talent (on your own roster, naturally).

That way, when he steps on the field, the learning curve is severely shortened.

I would dare say it would have to be an awfully weak team if most of the kids weren't redshirted.

RE: Not redshirting any true freshmen for the first year in FBS - Saint3333 - 06-13-2014 01:37 PM

I agree Rev. redshirting over half your class is an indication that you are planning ahead. If you have recruited the right way you are recruiting for two seasons from now not the upcoming season.

Also with no bowl game to play in a transition year if I'm a coach and have a borderline decision of whether to redshirt a certain player, I'm going to redshirt him.

RE: Not redshirting any true freshmen for the first year in FBS - TrueBlueAlum - 06-13-2014 01:55 PM

“Every freshman that we recruited, we’re going to look into having those guys playing for us this season,” Fritz said. “We’re not into the redshirting business, especially going in to play (Football Bowl Subdivision) football.”

We will see how this works out for him in the long run I suppose. I'm not opposed to it because it will lead to better competition at every spot on the roster and it will be nice to have those fresh legs available for depth on game day.

RE: Not redshirting any true freshmen for the first year in FBS - Tuscon - 06-13-2014 02:00 PM

(06-13-2014 01:55 PM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  “Every freshman that we recruited, we’re going to look into having those guys playing for us this season,” Fritz said. “We’re not into the redshirting business, especially going in to play (Football Bowl Subdivision) football.”

We will see how this works out for him in the long run I suppose. I'm not opposed to it because it will lead to better competition at every spot on the roster and it will be nice to have those fresh legs available for depth on game day.

I don't think that's a long term plan. But you're recruiting guys that are good enough to challenge for playing time as true freshman. If you have someone better on the roster, you don't RS them. No reason. As we all roll into FBS a bit deeper, I think we'll see redshirting a bit more often like other programs.

RE: Not redshirting any true freshmen for the first year in FBS - HerdZoned - 06-13-2014 02:11 PM

(06-13-2014 10:45 AM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  

He also stated that it's not really his "philosophy" to red-shirt, period. So I don't think he's into redshirting very many guys in the first place, especially in a season where we will need some more help in the 2's and 3's.

Could be a good recruitment tool, "I don't plan on redshirting many incoming freshman so you'll get a chance to play right away."

Fritz will change his attitude or he will fail at the IA level. Not many true freshman are ready to play IA ball as a true freshman. When Marshall moved up there was no trans. period, we didn't have a full 85 scholarships until 1999 and played 1997 with 63 scholarships.

But if there was I would rather do what WKU done and redshirt everyone for the 1st 3 years. It wasn't pretty for them as 1st, esp when you go 0-12 and 2-10 the 1st 2 years. But since then they have 2 7-6 seasons and an 8-4 season. Now the 2nd class of 2010 redshirts will be RS seniors.

RE: Not redshirting any true freshmen for the first year in FBS - Godzilla - 06-13-2014 02:20 PM

Doing either extreme of all or nothing would be foolish, I think it is based on a combination of the starting talent and development of a player and working the depth chart so that you replace as you lose to graduation. You don't want to end up with a log jam at one position that turns into a glaring hole the very next year.

RE: Not redshirting any true freshmen for the first year in FBS - TrueBlueAlum - 06-13-2014 02:21 PM

(06-13-2014 02:11 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(06-13-2014 10:45 AM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  

Fritz will change his attitude or he will fail at the IA level. Not many true freshman are ready to play IA ball as a true freshman. When Marshall moved up there was no trans. period, we didn't have a full 85 scholarships until 1999 and played 1997 with 63 scholarships.

But if there was I would rather do what WKU done and redshirt everyone for the 1st 3 years. It wasn't pretty for them as 1st, esp when you go 0-12 and 2-10 the 1st 2 years. But since then they have 2 7-6 seasons and an 8-4 season. Now the 2nd class of 2010 redshirts will be RS seniors.

The only reason I would disagree just a bit is because I don't often see a big difference in playing ability between true seniors and RS seniors. It's not like all of these freshmen will be starting. Some of them will definitely be game ready while others will need time backing up the starters.

I think the true game-time experience they will get with a few snaps will be crucial. I think the potential is there to develop more as a true freshman rather than a RS freshman because you KNOW there's a chance of you actually getting into the game so the attention you give practice and training is greater.

Who knows, this plan could crash and burn and I understand its a necessary evil for this year at least having minimal depth in some positions, but I wonder if it will REALLY have that significant of an impact in the long run.

I trust my coaches decisions until he starts losing a bunch of games, then I'll pretend I thought it was a bad idea all along. :)