CSNbbs
Texas GOP bars Gay Conservatives from participating in TX GOP - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Texas GOP bars Gay Conservatives from participating in TX GOP (/thread-690798.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Texas GOP bars Gay Conservatives from participating in TX GOP - Tom in Lazybrook - 05-29-2014 05:18 PM

Please don't ask me why I'm a Democrat. Or any Gay man why they reflexively vote for people like Sheila Jackson Lee.

Because

Gay people aren't welcome in the Republican Party of Texas. Regardless of how conservative they are.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/log-cabin-republicans-blocked-texas-gop

There is no place in the Texas GOP for any group that doesn't advocate discrimination towards Gay persons.

This isn't the first time the Texas GOP has done this either.

When Gay people are welcome in the GOP, then you can question why Gay people reflexively vote for Democrats.

RE: Texas GOP bars Gay Conservatives from participating in TX GOP - HeartOfDixie - 05-29-2014 05:24 PM

Much ado about nothing. You can't have a booth if you are against the party platform. Besides, gays are an irrelevant voting block.

RE: Texas GOP bars Gay Conservatives from participating in TX GOP - olliebaba - 05-29-2014 05:28 PM

It's common sense. Having a gay in the GOP is like having a pro-abortion cardinal vying for the Pope's job.

RE: Texas GOP bars Gay Conservatives from participating in TX GOP - Tom in Lazybrook - 05-29-2014 05:32 PM

Then don't wonder or complain when GOP = anti-Gay in the minds of society.

Its not a winning strategy long-term. Or even short-term.

RE: Texas GOP bars Gay Conservatives from participating in TX GOP - georgia_tech_swagger - 05-29-2014 05:33 PM

This is going to be one of those ugly threads where I end up siding with Mach and Tom and GOP rank and file types make it clear the social narrative against them isn't entirely bogus. (Yet, amusingly, they never manage to coming around to realizing that the rest of the country would elect them if they would merely tolerate alternative social lifestyles. You don't have to agree with them. You don't have to condone it. You just don't have to use force to prohibit it. But apparently that is too much of an ask.) Oh well .. keep on losing the Presidency until you get your head out of your ****es or the Dems lob another John Kerry turd out there.

RE: Texas GOP bars Gay Conservatives from participating in TX GOP - HeartOfDixie - 05-29-2014 05:35 PM

The truth is many are still 'anti-gay.' You honestly think you'd be safer in a ghetto, full of gay bashing Dems, or a lunch with Republicans on this forum?

Quit kidding yourself. You're using your sexuality as an excuse for your idiology. The 'gay' issue is far from resolved, just ask those 'gay loving' Dem voting blocks.

RE: Texas GOP bars Gay Conservatives from participating in TX GOP - ODUgradstudent - 05-29-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:"This isn’t about disagreements we may have on civil marriage; this isn’t about the party platform — this is about an anti-gay wing of the party that hates gay people so much they can’t even stand to see us acknowledged as a necessary part of a winning Republican coalition," he said, adding that in an election year, the state party's failure to be inclusive could contribute to turning Texas blue.

I'm not sure if I admire the Texas (and national) GOP for sticking to their values or pity them for being so stupid in their war against the gays that they face electoral losses because of it. Politics isn't a religion, it's a game. Now play it properly GOP, otherwise we all lose.

RE: Texas GOP bars Gay Conservatives from participating in TX GOP - olliebaba - 05-29-2014 05:53 PM

Having a gay GOP politician is like having a gay, pro-abortion, liberal thinker voting for the GOP. Do you really think having a gay GOPer would bring in the gay vote? Absolutely not because the gay GOPer would have to have a GOP framework and thus against the liberal gay. Or in words that you might understand. It's like having a black person in the KKK. Probably the wrong analogy, LOL, but I think this is the only way you'll understand. Sheesh.

RE: Texas GOP bars Gay Conservatives from participating in TX GOP - Tom in Lazybrook - 05-29-2014 06:04 PM

(05-29-2014 05:35 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  The truth is many are still 'anti-gay.' You honestly think you'd be safer in a ghetto, full of gay bashing Dems, or a lunch with Republicans on this forum?

Quit kidding yourself. You're using your sexuality as an excuse for your idiology. The 'gay' issue is far from resolved, just ask those 'gay loving' Dem voting blocks.

I was a participant at the 1998 Texas GOP convention in Fort Worth. I was representing Log Cabin (at one point I was a Republican).

I have lived in Colombia, I have be stationed in Muslim Countries. I'm going into a Coup zone in less than 2 weeks. I'm not afraid of my own shadow. In Fort Worth 1998, the delegates threatened our physical safety. It was the end of my participation in Republican politics. It was much scarier than any ghetto. http://www.georgialogcabin.org/news/Texas-Republican-Convention-Gay/98061501.shtml

RE: Texas GOP bars Gay Conservatives from participating in TX GOP - HeartOfDixie - 05-29-2014 06:08 PM

You can't have a discussion with a person willing to lie Tom. Personally, I think you're lying that you feel less safe around Republicans than the other mentioned situations.

RE: Texas GOP bars Gay Conservatives from participating in TX GOP - olliebaba - 05-29-2014 06:14 PM

Man, I think we have a regular Walter Mitty in RedTom. Isn't there anything he hasn't done? LOL

RE: Texas GOP bars Gay Conservatives from participating in TX GOP - Paul M - 05-29-2014 06:18 PM

It is far more likely that a deranged leftist picks up a gun and goes on a killing spree, as has happened so many times, before a gop'er guns you down Tom.

RE: Texas GOP bars Gay Conservatives from participating in TX GOP - DaSaintFan - 05-29-2014 06:19 PM

Tom,

You've stated before you've been a LONG time Democrat supporter. So why are you changing the story again and "now" you say you were a Log Cabin Republican?

In fact, I can't even believe your claim that "you got threatened by one set of delegates, so you changed your political persuasion?". People stand behind their beliefs, no matter what threats are thrown their way. THat's why they're called your 'beliefs'.

I hate to tell you this Tom, but your stories are becoming more like Obama's.. the discussion goes in "x direction".. so now it's a "I know how it works, because {insert story here}"

RE: Texas GOP bars Gay Conservatives from participating in TX GOP - Owl 69/70/75 - 05-29-2014 06:19 PM

(05-29-2014 06:14 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  Man, I think we have a regular Walter Mitty in RedTom. Isn't there anything he hasn't done? LOL

I think you mean the other Tom.

There are people who do things in their life, and people who don't. He's one of the former. So am I. We've both taken grief for that, but some folks just live.

I do find it ironic that I shot my first deer on Tom's family's land.

RE: Texas GOP bars Gay Conservatives from participating in TX GOP - Tom in Lazybrook - 05-29-2014 06:32 PM

(05-29-2014 06:08 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  You can't have a discussion with a person willing to lie Tom. Personally, I think you're lying that you feel less safe around Republicans than the other mentioned situations.

Actually, the 1998 Texas GOP convention was the scariest experience of my life. I'm not lying. And I'm not joking.

It was so bad that the Texas GOP chair at the time (who was a horrid homophobe) saw the coverage on TV and had to warn the delegates to not assault peaceful protesters.

RE: Texas GOP bars Gay Conservatives from participating in TX GOP - Tom in Lazybrook - 05-29-2014 06:35 PM

(05-29-2014 06:19 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  Tom,

You've stated before you've been a LONG time Democrat supporter. So why are you changing the story again and "now" you say you were a Log Cabin Republican?

In fact, I can't even believe your claim that "you got threatened by one set of delegates, so you changed your political persuasion?". People stand behind their beliefs, no matter what threats are thrown their way. THat's why they're called your 'beliefs'.

I hate to tell you this Tom, but your stories are becoming more like Obama's.. the discussion goes in "x direction".. so now it's a "I know how it works, because {insert story here}"

Prior to 1998 I was a Republican. I even ran for an internal GOP office in Texas that year.

Again, I cannot believe that the Texas GOP is still behaving like that 16 years later. Although I doubt they'll get the 'violent mob' treatment we got back then. Here some video http://blog.chron.com/bigjolly/2014/05/republican-party-of-texas-deja-vu-all-over-again/

RE: Texas GOP bars Gay Conservatives from participating in TX GOP - olliebaba - 05-29-2014 06:40 PM

My apologies to the Red, LOL. You're right Owl, it was the Lazy Tom.

RE: Texas GOP bars Gay Conservatives from participating in TX GOP - JMUDunk - 05-29-2014 06:46 PM

Hunh.

I don't get anyone "hating" on some one else unless they've gone out of their way to threaten them, their family or loved ones or something of that matter. The GOP shouldn't have any "blanket" policy of excluding anyone, out of hand, IMO.

There are plenty of gay conservatives out there, believe it or not, much like a serious % of black Americans live a very conservative life. Probably the most God-fearing as a whole amongst us.

They may not be Republicans per se, and may never vote R, but why simply dismiss the possibility? Why make damn SURE they will never vote R? Short sighted.

I don't have any idea about Tom's association with the Log Cabin R's, obviously, but for a time there they were gaining some pretty serious traction. I did a small bit of work with them in the Clinton years and they were a pretty serious, focused group. Working for inclusion of conservative gays and a "voice".

I have no idea where they stand today as far as membership and that stuff goes, as I've not had any deals with them since then.

But I do know they paid their bills on time, there was nothing "weird" about meeting and working with them, and their money spent just the same as anyone else's.

Their votes would count just the same as well...

RE: Texas GOP bars Gay Conservatives from participating in TX GOP - SumOfAllFears - 05-29-2014 06:56 PM

This is a drummed up hit piece by the democratic smear machine. Kind of like how the lefters infiltrate Tea Party rallies and display raciest signage just long enough to take a picture. The democratic party is the liar's party. Their win at all costs efforts means they are dishonest and not trustworthy. They simply cannot be believed.

So I ask you lazytom, why associate with the democratic ilk?

RE: Texas GOP bars Gay Conservatives from participating in TX GOP - Tom in Lazybrook - 05-29-2014 07:03 PM

(05-29-2014 06:46 PM)JMUDunk Wrote:  Hunh.

I don't get anyone "hating" on some one else unless they've gone out of their way to threaten them, their family or loved ones or something of that matter. The GOP shouldn't have any "blanket" policy of excluding anyone, out of hand, IMO.

There are plenty of gay conservatives out there, believe it or not, much like a serious % of black Americans live a very conservative life. Probably the most God-fearing as a whole amongst us.

They may not be Republicans per se, and may never vote R, but why simply dismiss the possibility? Why make damn SURE they will never vote R? Short sighted.

I don't have any idea about Tom's association with the Log Cabin R's, obviously, but for a time there they were gaining some pretty serious traction. I did a small bit of work with them in the Clinton years and they were a pretty serious, focused group. Working for inclusion of conservative gays and a "voice".

I have no idea where they stand today as far as membership and that stuff goes, as I've not had any deals with them since then.

But I do know they paid their bills on time, there was nothing "weird" about meeting and working with them, and their money spent just the same as anyone else's.

Their votes would count just the same as well...

My involvement with Log Cabin ended that day in Fort Worth. I was like "I'm outta here....no use risking my personal safety".

LCR basically fell apart around 2000-2004. Too much electoral gay bashing. The LCR directors, many of whom I still communicate with were put in an impossible position....either support anti-gay candidates, or support no one. Some, like Ken Mehlman, compromised their dignity. Others just walked across the aisle or deactivated from politics.

I was already moving leftward politically at that time. I became much more liberal during W's tenure as a result of a variety of factors.

LCR splintered into various factions. One group went with the support the GOP no matter what they do and founded GOProud. From what I understand, they're being funded by a GOP Gay billionaire, who hosts homophobes like Ann Coulter to speak to them. Their executive director is a straight woman. Pretty crazy stuff. Zero credibility in the community. The other group founded the Main Street group, but that group really was inactive. LCR still exists, but they have a rough path. Apparently still. Others drifted towards Libertarianism such as the Volokh Conspiracy group.

There is a place for a group that translates conservative ideas to the LGBT community and translates LGBT positions to the GOP. But there is no space for that group, even today, in the Texas GOP.