CSNbbs
UTEP to announce major athletic facilities uprades on Tuesday 5-27 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: UTEP to announce major athletic facilities uprades on Tuesday 5-27 (/thread-690440.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

UTEP to announce major athletic facilities uprades on Tuesday 5-27 - MinerInWisconsin - 05-26-2014 08:25 AM

I hope this turns out to be truly major as advertised and not an over zealous announcement with little behind it. We'll see tomorrow.

"UTEP calls Tuesday press conference
Per a release "UTEP Athletics will hold a press conference on Tuesday (May 27) to announce plans for major upgrades to facilities."

No. 1 on the wish list for a long time has been luxury suites in the Sun Bowl. Hard to imagine what else this could be."

http://elpasotimes.typepad.com/mineshaft/2014/05/utep-calls-tuesday-press-conference.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

RE: UTEP to announce major athletic facilities uprades on Tuesday 5-27 - mwp1023 - 05-26-2014 08:30 AM

Is this a sign that UTEP is making the move to the MWC?

RE: UTEP to announce major athletic facilities uprades on Tuesday 5-27 - MinerInWisconsin - 05-26-2014 08:37 AM

(05-26-2014 08:30 AM)mwp1023 Wrote:  Is this a sign that UTEP is making the move to the MWC?

I doubt it. There really isn't any room in the MWC currently. I think it's an announcement to let the fanbase know that UTEP intends to keep up with the Jones's, which right now are in C-USA.

RE: UTEP to announce major athletic facilities uprades on Tuesday 5-27 - Dracorex - 05-26-2014 08:40 AM

Is it diamond shaped? Are we starting up baseball?

RE: UTEP to announce major athletic facilities uprades on Tuesday 5-27 - Side Show Joe - 05-26-2014 09:03 AM

Congratulations on whatever you guys are building. Hope it's something nice.

RE: UTEP to announce major athletic facilities uprades on Tuesday 5-27 - SApuro - 05-26-2014 09:34 AM

That's an excellent start.

RE: UTEP to announce major athletic facilities uprades on Tuesday 5-27 - Pyrizzo - 05-26-2014 09:38 AM

(05-26-2014 09:34 AM)SApuro Wrote:  That's an excellent start.

Start to what?

RE: UTEP to announce major athletic facilities uprades on Tuesday 5-27 - AndreWhere - 05-26-2014 10:11 AM

Our AD talked big about facilities for a while, but apparently he's been admonished by the good old' boys to shut up.

Keep USM Snuggly Forever...

RE: UTEP to announce major athletic facilities uprades on Tuesday 5-27 - RUNVSFD MINER - 05-26-2014 11:47 AM

I wonder if the competition for the entertainment dollar, as a result of the baseball park's level of interest from fans has prompted UTEP to try and match the experience for fans.

For those of you who have heard about the ballpark, it is truly impressive. And I've been to homes games for the Cubs, Diamondbacks, Dodgers, Rangers, Astros, Padres, Cardinals, and Royals.

[Image: 20140426_101110_SAXoPicture-0A7837BC-373688988_500.jpg]
[Image: anonymous-20140502123158.jpg]
[Image: 17c6ff14-daa8-11e3-b312-12313b12a0ad-large.png]

RE: UTEP to announce major athletic facilities uprades on Tuesday 5-27 - olliebaba - 05-26-2014 12:56 PM

(05-26-2014 09:34 AM)SApuro Wrote:  That's an excellent start.

Thanks. I think. 03-confused

RE: UTEP to announce major athletic facilities uprades on Tuesday 5-27 - Blazer88 - 05-26-2014 01:00 PM

(05-26-2014 08:30 AM)mwp1023 Wrote:  Is this a sign that UTEP is making the move to the MWC?

Why would this be a sign of that? I seriously think you're retarded.

RE: UTEP to announce major athletic facilities uprades on Tuesday 5-27 - shyminer - 05-26-2014 03:49 PM

(05-26-2014 01:00 PM)Blazer88 Wrote:  

Why would this be a sign of that? I seriously think you're retarded.

Could be... Programs start trying to puff the chest a little, when possibly looking at other conference's. If BYU wants in, UTEP will get in. I would personally love it! Since i'm moving to Portland Oregon in July. So playing Fresno, SJSU, Nevada would be nice and easy road trips lol

RE: UTEP to announce major athletic facilities uprades on Tuesday 5-27 - olliebaba - 05-26-2014 05:31 PM

Don't leave us Shy. Ha, ha.

RE: UTEP to announce major athletic facilities uprades on Tuesday 5-27 - Native Georgian - 05-26-2014 07:14 PM

UTEP is not voluntarily switching from a league with 3 other TX-based members to a league with none.

RE: UTEP to announce major athletic facilities uprades on Tuesday 5-27 - TodgeRodge - 05-26-2014 09:13 PM

(05-26-2014 07:14 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  UTEP is not voluntarily switching from a league with 3 other TX-based members to a league with none.

3 other Texas schools is the dumbest argument out there period and it always has been and always will be

UTEP has done nothing in a conference with 3 other Texas teams it has not helped them at all and there is ample proof that schools in Texas can do just fine in a conference as the lone Texas member or as a member with only 1 ot 2 other Texas teams

there is no "big rivalry" between UTEP and any of the other Texas Schools now and there might be a small one in the future, but all those schools will either have another school they are a bigger rival with or they just don't have real rivals

Rice has UH even if UH is dumb enough to want to distance from that which just means Rice moves to play UT, A&M, Baylor and others and that locks UH out from bringing in those same teams because Rice already brought them Houston exposure

UTEP and NMSU are bigger rivals than any of the others

UTSA and Texas State are bigger rivals (even if UTSA very unwisely wanted to distance until they woke up because OOC rivals can make for the best ones because each team has a chance to be very good and you can mix in fans of 2 conferences)

and north Texas state has no real rivals

4+ Texas teams has been repeatedly shown to be detrimental to the success of two or more of those teams for a number of reasons

it was bad for the SWC, it was not great for the Big 12 with 12 teams and it will probably still not be great for the Big 12 with 10 teams (they probably should have stayed at 9 of they could have convinced the media partners or added another team outside of Texas, but the media partners wanted TCU)

in lesser conferences more than 3 Texas teams has been bad as well for 2 or more of those teams

RE: UTEP to announce major athletic facilities uprades on Tuesday 5-27 - stanman505 - 05-26-2014 11:13 PM

(05-26-2014 07:14 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  UTEP is not voluntarily switching from a league with 3 other TX-based members to a league with none.

If BYU wants back into the MWC then UTEP will be joining them. The key question is how the G5 treat BYU. If they think there will be better access to the playoff games by being in a conference they will join and UTEP will follow.

RE: UTEP to announce major athletic facilities uprades on Tuesday 5-27 - stanman505 - 05-26-2014 11:30 PM

Construction of new student housing began last week. They are supposed to open in the fall of 2015 and will accommodate 352 students.

[Image: RENDERINGS.jpg]

RE: UTEP to announce major athletic facilities uprades on Tuesday 5-27 - MinerInWisconsin - 05-27-2014 08:15 AM

(05-26-2014 11:30 PM)stanman505 Wrote:  Construction of new student housing began last week. They are supposed to open in the fall of 2015 and will accommodate 352 students.

[Image: RENDERINGS.jpg]

There has been a lot of construction and growth at UTEP in the last few years with more to come but this is not athletic department related. We will hopefully get some good news about that dept today.

RE: UTEP to announce major athletic facilities uprades on Tuesday 5-27 - MinerInWisconsin - 05-27-2014 08:31 AM

(05-26-2014 09:13 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  

3 other Texas schools is the dumbest argument out there period and it always has been and always will be

UTEP has done nothing in a conference with 3 other Texas teams it has not helped them at all and there is ample proof that schools in Texas can do just fine in a conference as the lone Texas member or as a member with only 1 ot 2 other Texas teams

there is no "big rivalry" between UTEP and any of the other Texas Schools now and there might be a small one in the future, but all those schools will either have another school they are a bigger rival with or they just don't have real rivals

Rice has UH even if UH is dumb enough to want to distance from that which just means Rice moves to play UT, A&M, Baylor and others and that locks UH out from bringing in those same teams because Rice already brought them Houston exposure

UTEP and NMSU are bigger rivals than any of the others

UTSA and Texas State are bigger rivals (even if UTSA very unwisely wanted to distance until they woke up because OOC rivals can make for the best ones because each team has a chance to be very good and you can mix in fans of 2 conferences)

and north Texas state has no real rivals

4+ Texas teams has been repeatedly shown to be detrimental to the success of two or more of those teams for a number of reasons

it was bad for the SWC, it was not great for the Big 12 with 12 teams and it will probably still not be great for the Big 12 with 10 teams (they probably should have stayed at 9 of they could have convinced the media partners or added another team outside of Texas, but the media partners wanted TCU)

in lesser conferences more than 3 Texas teams has been bad as well for 2 or more of those teams

The value for UTEP is, and has been stated by the AD and prez over the years, to have contact with the alumni in central and east Texas and to put the athletic department in front of potential recruits in those areas. So it is, at least for UTEP, valuable to be associated with UNT (your nemisis apparently), Rice and UTSA. Texas St would be of value to be associated with as well.

I agree that from a tv contract pov there can be overkill with too many schools in one state. But G5 conferences should actually benefit somewhat from have multiple schools in a state the size of Texas because our media contracts are never going to be similar to the P5. Having Louisiana and Mississippi in our division adds some needed diversity and next year UAB brings Alabama to the west division. I believe with the east-west configuration C-USA will have going forward and as the new schools like Charlotte and ODU grow in stature, C-USA will do better in their coming media negotiations than most are predicting and it would not surprise me if ULL and ASU were added during negotiation time due to media partner desires. It's quite possible that the media upside would outweigh the further splitting of playoff money. I suspect the money will be very similar to what it is now or slightly better. We will know by 2016.

RE: UTEP to announce major athletic facilities uprades on Tuesday 5-27 - Fitbud - 05-27-2014 09:28 AM

Whatever it is, I hope it is something that eventually gets us into the MWC.