CSNbbs
ACC / SEC will not count BYU as OOC P5 opponent - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: ACC / SEC will not count BYU as OOC P5 opponent (/thread-689391.html)

Pages: 1 2

ACC / SEC will not count BYU as OOC P5 opponent - TIGERCITY - 05-15-2014 11:47 AM

According to Murphy >>>

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN
ACC has decided #BYU will not count as non-league Power 5 opponent, sources told @ESPN

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN
ACC, SEC can/will still play BYU, it just won’t count as meeting requirement of 1 game vs. non-conference Power 5 team

RE: ACC / SEC will not count BYU as OOC P5 opponent - Bleeds_Purple - 05-15-2014 05:31 PM

This is getting more and more stupid all the time. It cracks me up to think about schools like NC State or Rutgers or Kansas etc thinking they are better than F'N BYU! Really?!

RE: ACC / SEC will not count BYU as OOC P5 opponent - Cubanbull - 05-15-2014 05:33 PM

This plus getting locked out from the BCS bowl slots is going to increase the heat for BYU to join either MWC or AAC in the future

RE: ACC / SEC will not count BYU as OOC P5 opponent - KNIGHTTIME - 05-15-2014 05:41 PM

(05-15-2014 05:33 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  This plus getting locked out from the BCS bowl slots is going to increase the heat for BYU to join either MWC or AAC in the future

Hope so...helps our tv package if they joined.

RE: ACC / SEC will not count BYU as OOC P5 opponent - msm96wolf - 05-15-2014 05:57 PM

Just curious, does BYU have a case to sue CFP, P5 and G5 for exclusion? I have seen people in the G5 screaming for lawsuits. Wouldn't BYU have a similar argument saying they should be placed ahead of a G5 champ if rated higher by the committee?

RE: ACC / SEC will not count BYU as OOC P5 opponent - chrisiskingx - 05-15-2014 06:38 PM

Lol wow...P5 trolls so hard.

It makes you kind of feel bad for BYU...

Yeah...Not really.

Honestly I think BYU saw this coming and that's why Aresco has been appearing a lot on BYUtv. Get on a mutual good side for both parties

RE: ACC / SEC will not count BYU as OOC P5 opponent - blunderbuss - 05-15-2014 06:39 PM

(05-15-2014 05:33 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  This plus getting locked out from the BCS bowl slots is going to increase the heat for BYU to join either MWC or AAC in the future

Ummmm, why is that? They won't have a better shot at the BCS bowl and they won't be considered P5 with us either.

RE: ACC / SEC will not count BYU as OOC P5 opponent - blunderbuss - 05-15-2014 06:41 PM

(05-15-2014 05:31 PM)Bleeds_Purple Wrote:  This is getting more and more stupid all the time. It cracks me up to think about schools like NC State or Rutgers or Kansas etc thinking they are better than F'N BYU! Really?!

It's not so much that they think that they're better than BYU, they just happen to run with a better crowd. Every group of "cool kids" always has a couple of hangers on that really aren't that cool on their own. NCSU, Rutgers, etc are those kids. They're just happy to be at the party at all and will play along.

RE: ACC / SEC will not count BYU as OOC P5 opponent - Attackcoog - 05-15-2014 06:48 PM

(05-15-2014 06:39 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  

Ummmm, why is that? They won't have a better shot at the BCS bowl and they won't be considered P5 with us either.

Actually they would have MUCH better chance at a CFP bowl (the G5 slot) as part of any G5 conference. They wont have a better chance at the playoff.

RE: ACC / SEC will not count BYU as OOC P5 opponent - quo vadis - 05-15-2014 06:49 PM

(05-15-2014 05:31 PM)Bleeds_Purple Wrote:  This is getting more and more stupid all the time. It cracks me up to think about schools like NC State or Rutgers or Kansas etc thinking they are better than F'N BYU! Really?!

It makes sense. BYU is not, in fact, a P5 conference school, so it shouldn't count.

RE: ACC / SEC will not count BYU as OOC P5 opponent - quo vadis - 05-15-2014 06:50 PM

The BCS bowl slot issue is real, but I'm not sure why this decision to not count BYU as a P5 OOC game puts pressure on them to join a G5. It won't change their status as not being P5.

RE: ACC / SEC will not count BYU as OOC P5 opponent - Attackcoog - 05-15-2014 08:14 PM

(05-15-2014 06:50 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

The BCS bowl slot issue is real, but I'm not sure why this decision to not count BYU as a P5 OOC game puts pressure on them to join a G5. It won't change their status as not being P5.

I believe the thinking is that eliminates 28 more potential OOC slots as both conferences are requiring that one of every members OOC games be against a P5 school. Its basically the same affect as going to a 9th home game. I think the rancor is over-stated since most of those teams would have had at least one P5 OOC game on their schedule anyway.

Even it was a major issue, Im not sure it matters. That stuff is a big deal to Bronco and Holmoe. But, Tom Holmoe and Bronco are not at the controls. The LDS church leaders make the decisions. I don't get the impression that the playoffs, the media checks, conference championships, bowl destinations, or CFP G5 slots are all that important to them. They like thier BYUtv content and they like the media flexibility they have with independence. They don't think like any other school.

RE: ACC / SEC will not count BYU as OOC P5 opponent - Cubanbull - 05-15-2014 08:27 PM

Well let me explain.
If BYU will not count as a P5 opponent for SEC and ACC teams and they are scheduling one of their OCC games vs a P5 opponent it basically reduces the number of opportunities BYU will have in playing such teams.
BYU as an Indy needs 12 games a year and they were counting on at least 3 being vs P5 for TV and to consider themselves ahead of the G5. It will be much more difficult to get those 3-4 games yearly vs P5 now

RE: ACC / SEC will not count BYU as OOC P5 opponent - otown - 05-15-2014 08:31 PM

(05-15-2014 06:49 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

It makes sense. BYU is not, in fact, a P5 conference school, so it shouldn't count.

you really are a robot, aren't you? 07-coffee3

read between the lines, that's not what he meant.

RE: ACC / SEC will not count BYU as OOC P5 opponent - BigHouston - 05-16-2014 12:00 AM

(05-15-2014 08:31 PM)otown Wrote:  

03-lmfao 03-lmfao He's worst then a robot, he's a troll, otown.

RE: ACC / SEC will not count BYU as OOC P5 opponent - quo vadis - 05-16-2014 05:17 AM

(05-15-2014 08:14 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Even it was a major issue, Im not sure it matters. That stuff is a big deal to Bronco and Holmoe. But, Tom Holmoe and Bronco are not at the controls. The LDS church leaders make the decisions. I don't get the impression that the playoffs, the media checks, conference championships, bowl destinations, or CFP G5 slots are all that important to them. They like thier BYUtv content and they like the media flexibility they have with independence. They don't think like any other school.

Yes, being an LDS school, BYU has its own unique agenda. Sure, they have grown to take pride in their football and wish it had maximum competitive opportunities, but I agree, they like independence and like Notre Dame, are willing to sacrifice some dollars and bowl access to have it.

RE: ACC / SEC will not count BYU as OOC P5 opponent - quo vadis - 05-16-2014 05:21 AM

(05-15-2014 08:31 PM)otown Wrote:  

I know what he meant. He was expressing jealousy that many outside-looking-in schools have towards P5 schools that they think their school is just as good or better than, like Rutgers or Iowa State.

I did the forum a service by trimming his post of that pointless content and distilling it to the one relevant point, which is that it should be a surprise to nobody that if the ACC has a rule that says you must play a P5 OOC opponent, BYU would not count.

RE: ACC / SEC will not count BYU as OOC P5 opponent - quo vadis - 05-16-2014 05:24 AM

(05-15-2014 08:27 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  

Well let me explain.
If BYU will not count as a P5 opponent for SEC and ACC teams and they are scheduling one of their OCC games vs a P5 opponent it basically reduces the number of opportunities BYU will have in playing such teams.

Wait a minute. This is an astonishing revelation that you probably spent an hour figuring out so I want to be clear about it: Are you saying that if the ACC and SEC refuse to count BYU as meeting the "must play one OOC P5 game per year" requirement, that this will very likely reduce the opportunities BYU has to play schools from those conferences?

You don't say .... 07-coffee3

RE: ACC / SEC will not count BYU as OOC P5 opponent - KnightLight - 05-16-2014 06:25 AM

With BYU forced to schedule 12 non-conf games per year being an Independent...and now if this ruling means that future games vs ACC/SEC (and now most likely Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac-12 will follow suit), BYU might have a heck of a time finding games in the very near future (already locked into a lot of games in the coming years...some which now will probably be canceled).

This ruling is good news for those that want BYU to join a football conf (i.e. might end up joining 2 conf...one for football...one for Olympic Sports).

Future continues to get bleaker for BYU...glad they have a lot of upcoming series with AAC teams...plus some Bowl agreement(s) too.

RE: ACC / SEC will not count BYU as OOC P5 opponent - Wilkie01 - 05-16-2014 06:58 AM

This will bring back the BYU and Cincinnati to Big 12 rumors. If it happens, who does the AAC replace Cincinnati with? 07-coffee3