CSNbbs
NBCsports: Details on AAC divisions could come this summer - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: NBCsports: Details on AAC divisions could come this summer (/thread-689161.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

NBCsports: Details on AAC divisions could come this summer - pesik - 05-13-2014 11:45 AM

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/13/details-on-aac-divisions-could-come-this-summer/

RE: NBCsports: Details on AAC divisions could come this summer - UConnHusky - 05-13-2014 11:47 AM

Navy.....YOU BETTER NOT BAIL ON US!!!!
05-mafia

RE: NBCsports: Details on AAC divisions could come this summer - bearcatlawjd - 05-13-2014 11:56 AM

I am still in favor of North-South where you play one cross divisional rival from each grouping each season. That way everyone plays in every region at least twice in four years.

Cincinnati-Memphis (River)
Temple-UConn (Northeast)
ECU-Navy (Mid-Atlantic)
USF-UCF (Florida)
Houston-SMU (Texas)
Tulsa-Tulane (Southern)

North: (Cincinnati, Memphis), (Temple, UConn), (ECU, Navy)
South: (USF, UCF), (Tulsa, Tulane), (SMU, Houston).

RE: NBCsports: Details on AAC divisions could come this summer - Tigers2B1 - 05-13-2014 12:00 PM

(05-13-2014 11:56 AM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  I am still in favor of North-South where you play one cross divisional rival from each grouping each season. That way everyone plays in every region at least twice in four years.

Temple-UConn (Northeast)
ECU-Navy (Mid-Atlantic)
USF-UCF (Florida)
Houston-SMU (Texas)
Tulsa-Tulane (Southern)

The only "rivals" I see in those groups are USF-UCF. I mean Cincinnati-Memphis because of the "River?" LOL

RE: NBCsports: Details on AAC divisions could come this summer - HuskyU - 05-13-2014 12:02 PM

(05-13-2014 12:00 PM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  
(05-13-2014 11:56 AM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  I am still in favor of North-South where you play one cross divisional rival from each grouping each season. That way everyone plays in every region at least twice in four years.

Temple-UConn (Northeast)
ECU-Navy (Mid-Atlantic)
USF-UCF (Florida)
Houston-SMU (Texas)
Tulsa-Tulane (Southern)

The only "rivals" I see in those groups are USF-UCF. I mean Cincinnati-Memphis because of the "River?" LOL

Makes sense geographically.

RE: NBCsports: Details on AAC divisions could come this summer - Native Georgian - 05-13-2014 12:06 PM

If there is any way we can have a CCG without splitting into divisions, would everyone be in favor of that? That seems to be what the ACC is trying to do.

RE: NBCsports: Details on AAC divisions could come this summer - BigEastHomer - 05-13-2014 12:07 PM

Temple-UConn (Northeast)
ECU-Navy (Mid-Atlantic)
USF-UCF (Florida)
Houston-SMU (Texas)
Tulsa-Tulane (Southern)

Houston rang up 95 points on SMU, when they were restarting football, which still gets some of their alums hot.

Temple and UCONN have had some spectacular finishes.

IMO, these kinds of rivalries will be solidified with increased competition. In basketball, now that Houston has hired Sampson, I am immensely looking forward to the Brown/Sampson chess matches.

RE: NBCsports: Details on AAC divisions could come this summer - TIGERCITY - 05-13-2014 12:09 PM

Temple-UConn (Northeast)
ECU-Navy (Mid-Atlantic)
USF-UCF (Florida)
Houston-SMU (Texas)
Tulsa-Tulane (Southern)

Cincinnati is on the Ohio River. Memphis is on the Mississippi River. Our river is better and they hate us for it. What's not to understand?

RE: NBCsports: Details on AAC divisions could come this summer - bearcatlawjd - 05-13-2014 12:18 PM

The groupings were not based on rivalry games. The grouping were designed to make sure everyone in the north division played two games in Texas and two in Florida during a four year window and to minimize travel issues across the board. Memphis is out of their geographic region but I think they would like to play Cincinnati every season. This format protects rivalry games, makes sense from a geographic standpoint, and allows everyone a chance to play in every region of the conference every two seasons.

RE: NBCsports: Details on AAC divisions could come this summer - ECBrad - 05-13-2014 12:19 PM

That's really well thought out

RE: NBCsports: Details on AAC divisions could come this summer - BullsFanInTX - 05-13-2014 12:20 PM

(05-13-2014 11:47 AM)UConnHusky Wrote:  Navy.....YOU BETTER NOT BAIL ON US!!!!
05-mafia

Navy isn't going anywhere. They've already cleared all of their OOC schedules (Only Army, AF, ND, plus one other going forward).

RE: NBCsports: Details on AAC divisions could come this summer - TIGERCITY - 05-13-2014 12:24 PM

(05-13-2014 12:20 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  
05-mafia

Navy isn't going anywhere. They've already cleared all of their OOC schedules (Only Army, AF, ND, plus one other going forward).

They play Notre Dame just most or every season? Michigan?

RE: NBCsports: Details on AAC divisions could come this summer - pesik - 05-13-2014 12:27 PM

(05-13-2014 12:24 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  
(05-13-2014 12:20 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  
05-mafia

They play Notre Dame just most or every season? Michigan?

every season

RE: NBCsports: Details on AAC divisions could come this summer - Attackcoog - 05-13-2014 01:21 PM

If the ACC proposal passes and you can play a championship game without dividing into divisions---that's the best way to go. I would only protect 2 rivalry games. One is a true rivalry. One is starting to develop.

USF-UCF
Houston-SMU

Id like for there to be as much exposure between the teams as possible--divisions tend to limit how often you the teams from the opposite division, so I'd prefer we didnt have divisions if it can be avoided. I also don't like the idea of protected rivalries--unless there really is a rivalry. UCF-USF exists---that's a real bonafide rivalry . SMU-Houston exists to a much more limited degree (there has been historical bad blood, but the SMU teams were uncompetitive for so long, the rivalry was pretty flat--that has changed). I don't like the idea of just throwing two schools together and saying this is your protected "rival". Over time, rivalries will develop. You can't force feed that.

RE: NBCsports: Details on AAC divisions could come this summer - CougarRed - 05-13-2014 01:28 PM

Based on the schedule analysis for 2014, this is how the divisions shaped up:

Division 1 (South)
UCF
USF
Houston
SMU
Tulsa

Division 2 (North)
UConn
Cincy
Temple
East Carolina
Tulane*

TBD (fit either)
Memphis
Navy

*Tulane in the North sounds weird, but they draw 4x more students from NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, MD, VA than TX & FL.

Look at the divisions above. Stop and think about your team's 2014 schedule. Ask yourself:

1. Do I play every school in my proposed division?
2. Are the two schools I miss contained either in the other division or TBD?

The answers to both questions should be "Yes."

RE: NBCsports: Details on AAC divisions could come this summer - Meatwad - 05-13-2014 01:46 PM

(05-13-2014 12:18 PM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  The groupings were not based on rivalry games. The grouping were designed to make sure everyone in the north division played two games in Texas and two in Florida during a four year window and to minimize travel issues across the board. Memphis is out of their geographic region but I think they would like to play Cincinnati every season. This format protects rivalry games, makes sense from a geographic standpoint, and allows everyone a chance to play in every region of the conference every two seasons.
your groupings make the most sense.

RE: NBCsports: Details on AAC divisions could come this summer - DrBox - 05-13-2014 01:52 PM

(05-13-2014 01:28 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  *Tulane in the North sounds weird, but they draw 4x more students from NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, MD, VA than TX & FL.
The top 5 states are NY, NJ, LA, California and Texas. Florida and Connecticut are also in the top 10.
Regardless, there's a lot more to it than where the students come from.
But it doesn't matter much to me. Excited to play all the teams.

RE: NBCsports: Details on AAC divisions could come this summer - Meatwad - 05-13-2014 02:06 PM

where Tulane's students come from should have no relevance. they have this current makeup without being in a northern conference or division. their enrollment won't be harmed by being in a division with Florida, Texas and Oklahoma schools.

RE: NBCsports: Details on AAC divisions could come this summer - mlb - 05-13-2014 02:07 PM

(05-13-2014 12:00 PM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  The only "rivals" I see in those groups are USF-UCF. I mean Cincinnati-Memphis because of the "River?" LOL

Yeah, he should just admit that he wants that game because it is a guaranteed win for UC every year.

05-stirthepot

RE: NBCsports: Details on AAC divisions could come this summer - firmbizzle - 05-13-2014 02:24 PM

Here are my ideal divisions.

American
UCF
Temple
Memphis
Tulane
SMU
UConn

National
Navy
ECU
USF