CSNbbs
“I’ll never apologize for my white privilege” - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: “I’ll never apologize for my white privilege” (/thread-688713.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

“I’ll never apologize for my white privilege” - Fitbud - 05-08-2014 12:59 PM

http://www.salon.com/2014/05/04/ill_never_apologize_for_my_white_privilege_guy_is_basically_most_of_white_america/

A college student who doesn’t believe in the existence of structural racism or white supremacy wrote an essay about why he would “never apologize” for his white privilege, and Time magazine thought it would be a really cool idea to publish it. Probably because Princeton University freshman Tal Fortgang speaks for many white Americans when he says that racism and white privilege aren’t real.

RE: “I’ll never apologize for my white privilege” - BeliefBlazer - 05-08-2014 01:07 PM

(05-08-2014 12:59 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  Tal Fortgang speaks for many white Americans when he says that racism and white privilege aren’t real.

That makes no sense, Fit. If he says he won't apologize for having it, then he's admitting that it is real.

RE: “I’ll never apologize for my white privilege” - LSU04_08 - 05-08-2014 01:08 PM

I'm with him. Congratulations for having a pair of balls. While racism is real, white privilege is a big fat blooper that a bunch of idiots fell for.

RE: “I’ll never apologize for my white privilege” - LSU04_08 - 05-08-2014 01:09 PM

(05-08-2014 01:07 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  
(05-08-2014 12:59 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  Tal Fortgang speaks for many white Americans when he says that racism and white privilege aren’t real.

That makes no sense, Fit. If he says he won't apologize for having it, then he's admitting that it is real.

Hence why he doesn't have to apologize for it.

RE: “I’ll never apologize for my white privilege” - Niner National - 05-08-2014 01:12 PM

White privilege certainly exists, but that doesn't mean being white is a free ride.

I have no shame in being white and do not feel bad in any way that being white in America is easier than not being white in America.

All I can do is be fair to everyone and when enough people do that, this will no longer be an issue. It is less of an issue with every generation.

RE: “I’ll never apologize for my white privilege” - mlb - 05-08-2014 01:12 PM

I think "white privilege" is the wrong term for it... middle class or upper class privilege is a better term, IMO.

Think of it this way... a poor person of any race is unlikely to have the privileges of a middle or upper class person of any race. Why? Because they can't network with others as easily as they just don't have the contacts of people whom are managers or owners of businesses. If I were to lose my job tomorrow I'd have friends in high positions that would be pushing my resume out to all of their friends, backing my work ethic.

RE: “I’ll never apologize for my white privilege” - Fitbud - 05-08-2014 01:13 PM

(05-08-2014 01:08 PM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  I'm with him. Congratulations for having a pair of balls. While racism is real, white privilege is a big fat blooper that a bunch of idiots fell for.

So in your world, whites have never received anything over a person of color simply because they were white?

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

RE: “I’ll never apologize for my white privilege” - VA49er - 05-08-2014 01:14 PM

(05-08-2014 01:13 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(05-08-2014 01:08 PM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  I'm with him. Congratulations for having a pair of balls. While racism is real, white privilege is a big fat blooper that a bunch of idiots fell for.

So in your world, whites have never received anything over a person of color simply because they were white?

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

That's actually NOT what he said. He flat out says racism is real.

RE: “I’ll never apologize for my white privilege” - JMUDunk - 05-08-2014 01:14 PM

Racism exists, sure, and always will. From and by all races.

Institutionalized racism is what the complaints should be about and that has largely been eliminated.

white privilege? Then why is the left so fond of throwing it out there that there are, correctly, more white people on food stamps and welfare than anyone else?

So, which is it? White privilege or white poverty? Lemme guess, both...03-lmfao

What a bunch of academia claptrap. Save it for the coffee lounge an encounter groups. Real world we all sink or swim. We only eat what we kill, ain' no one giving me nothing.

Sorry that doesn't fit your leftist, guilty meme.

RE: “I’ll never apologize for my white privilege” - LSU04_08 - 05-08-2014 01:14 PM

(05-08-2014 12:59 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  http://www.salon.com/2014/05/04/ill_never_apologize_for_my_white_privilege_guy_is_basically_most_of_white_america/

A college student who doesn’t believe in the existence of structural racism or white supremacy wrote an essay about why he would “never apologize” for his white privilege, and Time magazine thought it would be a really cool idea to publish it. Probably because Princeton University freshman Tal Fortgang speaks for many white Americans when he says that racism and white privilege aren’t real.

Fitbud, seriously? I just read the first couple of paragraphs of this story and that writer is simply writing the story just to bash this guy. Is this really a news source you use? There is absolutely no professionalism about the way it was written.

RE: “I’ll never apologize for my white privilege” - blunderbuss - 05-08-2014 01:15 PM

(05-08-2014 12:59 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  http://www.salon.com/2014/05/04/ill_never_apologize_for_my_white_privilege_guy_is_basically_most_of_white_america/

Apparently you're too dumb to read the background link to the story.
http://time.com/85933/why-ill-never-apologize-for-my-white-male-privilege/

He's using the term "white privilege" tongue in cheek b/c his family came from nothing, just like a LOT of other whites in America, especially those of Jewish, Irish, Scottish and Italian descent.

I applaud this kid personally. I can identify with him a lot... aside from the fact I wasn't smart enough for Princeton. 03-lmfao

RE: “I’ll never apologize for my white privilege” - DrTorch - 05-08-2014 01:16 PM

Where's mach to lament another race post?

Oh, and fitbud missed the point of something written? I'm shocked.

So fit, does that mean writing is white privilege?

RE: “I’ll never apologize for my white privilege” - Fitbud - 05-08-2014 01:16 PM

(05-08-2014 01:14 PM)VA49er Wrote:  

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

White privilege is a form of racism. How can acknowledge that one does exist but the other doesn't.

RE: “I’ll never apologize for my white privilege” - LSU04_08 - 05-08-2014 01:21 PM

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

Not since the 20th century. But if that's what you consider white privilege, then by your logic, we're in the times of black privilege, because of the Civil Rights Act. You don't really wanna go there though, do you... The problem is that you're still looking to cross that line where equality meets black and white, but you passed it some many years ago, now it's so far out of reach that it'll never be found and truth be told, that's the way you like it. It serves us innocent whites that had nothing to do with this shiit right, right?

RE: “I’ll never apologize for my white privilege” - NIU007 - 05-08-2014 01:22 PM

(05-08-2014 01:07 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  

NM

RE: “I’ll never apologize for my white privilege” - VA49er - 05-08-2014 01:23 PM

(05-08-2014 01:16 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

White privilege is a form of racism. How can acknowledge that one does exist but the other doesn't.

So, basically you are saying that every white person is racist since they benefit from white privilege. That's quite a stretch.

RE: “I’ll never apologize for my white privilege” - Fitbud - 05-08-2014 01:24 PM

(05-08-2014 01:23 PM)VA49er Wrote:  

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

So, basically you are saying that every white person is racist since they benefit from white privilege. That's quite a stretch.

You are the one stretching if that is what you got from my posts.

I'm simply saying that white privilege exists.

I'm glad you are man enough to admit it.

RE: “I’ll never apologize for my white privilege” - miko33 - 05-08-2014 01:26 PM

If you really want to look at this topic seriously, we are living in unprecedented times when it comes to racism. Think about it.

RE: “I’ll never apologize for my white privilege” - blunderbuss - 05-08-2014 01:28 PM

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

You're a joke, really. By that logic only whites are rich and get things via their connections or inheritance. Does Jay-Z, Michael Jordan, Russell Simmons, Puff Daddy or Snoop Dogg's kids have black privilege? I guarantee you they've got a hell of a lot better chance in life than this kid or myself did and probably get the benefit of the doubt just because of who their father is.

You act as if only minority races had it bad.

RE: “I’ll never apologize for my white privilege” - smn1256 - 05-08-2014 01:28 PM

My grandparents on my father's side came over on the boat from Italy. After checking in legally they found there was nothing here waiting for them - no benefits, no handouts, nothing. They worked their asses off while putting aside the discrimination that was shown towards Italians at that time. My grandparents on my mother's side were Irish and they were heavily discriminated against to the point where factories had signs saying "Irish need not apply" for the open positions they had. My dad never graduated from high school, worked two jobs, and finally owned a small dry cleaners and worked 6 days a week . He never took a vacation that I knew of and only closed his business on Christmas, New Years, and Thanksgiving. My entire family went to public school except for me and one of my brothers who attended 6 years of Catholic school. When I went to college there was no public money given to me and my mother and father never took assistence from the government in spite of having 8 children of which I am the oldest.

The children of Obama, Maxine Waters, Jesse Jackson, etc, will all have more privilige than me or my kid ever will.

The only thing being white has gotten me is a target on my back.