CSNbbs
Infante: P5 split could be 5-7 years away - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Infante: P5 split could be 5-7 years away (/thread-688628.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Infante: P5 split could be 5-7 years away - CommuterBob - 05-07-2014 02:32 PM

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2014-05-07/ncaa-restructuring-hits-point-where-split-is-preferable

John Infante, the writer of the bylaw blog, is going out on a limb here about a split, and mostly basing it on Nicole Auerbach's interview of Jim Delany. Now we all know Delany tends to overplay his hand in order to get what he wants, but Infante makes a great parallel between this new governance struture (and the avarice for wanting more and more out of it) and the failed PAC-16 consolidation of 2010. His point is that if the PAC-16 had gone through, it would have been less painful than what has since happened in realignment.

But he does make a good point about the posturing of Delany:

Quote:It would be the height of naiveté to not see the end game here. The NCAA performs three major functions for its members: it operates tournaments, regulates members, and absorbs public criticism. By moving to an autonomy system where five conferences not only draft but administer their own rules, Delany is suggesting the NCAA cease performing the latter two of those tasks, at least for a subset of rules. Conferences also already know how to run tournaments (or could simply poach the NCAA's best people), so the only reason to keep the NCAA around and Division I intact is the value of March Madness.

That is not enough to keep Division I together for even the medium term. The Division I men's basketball tournament might be an $800 million/year property. But the five power conferences only see about $200 million of that, some of it with significant strings attached. A lighter, leaner organization might be able to produce the same distributions for power conference members on a tournament generating as little as a third of the revenue of March Madness.

You only have to read between a couple of lines to see that Delany is even indicating when a split will happen. Multiple times, Delany mentions a time frame of five to seven years to get Division I restructured, reform it to the liking of the power conferences, and let outside reform efforts like the wave of lawsuits play out. That is also, perhaps not coincidentally, the average time between governance reforms in Division I over the last 20 years or so.

Not a bad observation.

RE: Infante: P5 split could be 5-7 years away - CommuterBob - 05-07-2014 02:36 PM

On his twitter feed: Infante also advocates the G5 to split from the rest of D1 as well.

Quote: John Infante ‏@John_Infante ·15 mins
The same numbers and logic that make leaving the NCAA make sense for the power conferences also make sense for the rest of DI too.

John Infante ‏@John_Infante ·14 mins
Especially if you’re talking about a subset of Division I, like the other five FBS conferences and the top 5-10 non-FB conferences.

John Infante ‏@John_Infante ·12 mins
If the power conferences go, it makes sense for a group from the rest of Division I to go off on their own as well.

And then this:

Quote:John Infante ‏@John_Infante ·2 mins
But I think if the next step is not a split, then it is easy to pivot to “everyone should have to do these things”.

Which is what i think is far more likely to happen.

RE: Infante: P5 split could be 5-7 years away - ark30inf - 05-07-2014 02:42 PM

If they should split then we, in the G5 need to make sure it is for all sports.

RE: Infante: P5 split could be 5-7 years away - bullet - 05-07-2014 02:47 PM

(05-07-2014 02:32 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2014-05-07/ncaa-restructuring-hits-point-where-split-is-preferable

John Infante, the writer of the bylaw blog, is going out on a limb here about a split, and mostly basing it on Nicole Auerbach's interview of Jim Delany. Now we all know Delany tends to overplay his hand in order to get what he wants, but Infante makes a great parallel between this new governance struture (and the avarice for wanting more and more out of it) and the failed PAC-16 consolidation of 2010. His point is that if the PAC-16 had gone through, it would have been less painful than what has since happened in realignment.

But he does make a good point about the posturing of Delany:

Quote:It would be the height of naiveté to not see the end game here. The NCAA performs three major functions for its members: it operates tournaments, regulates members, and absorbs public criticism. By moving to an autonomy system where five conferences not only draft but administer their own rules, Delany is suggesting the NCAA cease performing the latter two of those tasks, at least for a subset of rules. Conferences also already know how to run tournaments (or could simply poach the NCAA's best people), so the only reason to keep the NCAA around and Division I intact is the value of March Madness.

That is not enough to keep Division I together for even the medium term. The Division I men's basketball tournament might be an $800 million/year property. But the five power conferences only see about $200 million of that, some of it with significant strings attached. A lighter, leaner organization might be able to produce the same distributions for power conference members on a tournament generating as little as a third of the revenue of March Madness.

You only have to read between a couple of lines to see that Delany is even indicating when a split will happen. Multiple times, Delany mentions a time frame of five to seven years to get Division I restructured, reform it to the liking of the power conferences, and let outside reform efforts like the wave of lawsuits play out. That is also, perhaps not coincidentally, the average time between governance reforms in Division I over the last 20 years or so.

Not a bad observation.

Delaney, Swofford and Slive will be retired in 5-7 years. I suspect Bowlsby will be on to different things and Scott will get bored. In any event, it won't be Delaney and Slive orchestrating things.

I think people overestimate the value of the bottom conferences. I think a 150 team division I would generate more value in the tournament than a 350 team division I. Noone wants to see 106-56 1 vs. 16 seed games.

But the issue is that if the power conferences took the bb tourney money, the NCAA would basically collapse. And many of these people did work at those other schools. So as greedy as they can be, I think they understand the negative impact of leaving on everyone else. And, of course, it might have some negative political impact on them as well.

RE: Infante: P5 split could be 5-7 years away - Tigeer - 05-07-2014 02:49 PM

(05-07-2014 02:42 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  If they should split then we, in the G5 need to make sure it is for all sports.

Why, I would want Memphis to still play big boy basketball?

Re: RE: Infante: P5 split could be 5-7 years away - ark30inf - 05-07-2014 02:55 PM

(05-07-2014 02:49 PM)Tigeer Wrote:  
(05-07-2014 02:42 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  If they should split then we, in the G5 need to make sure it is for all sports.

Why, I would want Memphis to still play big boy basketball?

We are assuming they would lock us out of football and basketball. I am referring to the minor sports.

RE: Infante: P5 split could be 5-7 years away - stever20 - 05-07-2014 02:59 PM

If it was P5, G5, and about 5-10 non fb conferences(top ones in order in this year RPI- Big East, A10, WCC, MVC, Horizon, CAA, MAAC, Ivy, Summit, Patriot)- you would see seperation from Big West, WAC, OVC, Atl Sun, Northeast, Big Sky, Southland, Big South, America East, Southern, MEAC, SWAC.

It's interesting- I don't think this would limit the tournament much at all. Maybe Ivy and Patriot don't do it- but Big West and OVC do. If anything the tourney gets better because you don't have 11 bad teams at the bottom of the tourney. That means your PIG teams would be instead of 11 or 12 seeds say 14 or 15 seeds. Your 16 seeds this year would have been like Eastern Kentucky, Cal Poly, La-Lafayette, Delaware, Tulsa, and La-Lafayette maybe. 15 seed would be like Wester Michigan, Manhattan, and then it gets into at larges.

RE: Infante: P5 split could be 5-7 years away - MWC Tex - 05-07-2014 03:06 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/05/07/big-ten-commissioner-jim-delany-question-and-answer/8774193/

Here another view/ interview with Delany.

RE: Infante: P5 split could be 5-7 years away - CommuterBob - 05-07-2014 03:08 PM

(05-07-2014 02:47 PM)bullet Wrote:  I think people overestimate the value of the bottom conferences. I think a 150 team division I would generate more value in the tournament than a 350 team division I. Noone wants to see 106-56 1 vs. 16 seed games.

But the issue is that if the power conferences took the bb tourney money, the NCAA would basically collapse. And many of these people did work at those other schools. So as greedy as they can be, I think they understand the negative impact of leaving on everyone else. And, of course, it might have some negative political impact on them as well.

I agree. You take out the P5 from the tourney, and yeah sure they could get $200M-$300M on their own (maybe even more) per year, but the remainder to the non-P5 would dry up to a much smaller number than that (maybe only 10%-20% of that). It truly is a case of the sum of the parts being less than the whole. Nobody is going to be willing to pay $500M-$600M per year for the second-level tourney.

RE: Infante: P5 split could be 5-7 years away - ark30inf - 05-07-2014 03:15 PM

The P5 currently has massive amounts of influence over these sports.

If they break away they lose all of that influence in setting direction for the whole of college sports.

You don't want a competitor, no matter how weak. Even if that competitor is weak...someone strong can use it against you.

Why is it so important for the P5 to divorce us? I think we are a pretty cheap servant right now.

RE: Infante: P5 split could be 5-7 years away - stever20 - 05-07-2014 03:20 PM

the thing is you take it to about 20 conferences(so about 225 teams give or take total)- and you have I think a perfect set up. You have some cinderella stories still- but not 20 of them. I mean you could with 20 conferences have in the 15 seed line at large teams. Think about that. Imagine say a Clemson being a 15 seed. How would you like to see a Villanova/Clemson 1st round game? Duke instead of Mercer may see a California(ok, that may be an easier game!)

RE: Infante: P5 split could be 5-7 years away - Lord Stanley - 05-07-2014 03:51 PM

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

The P5 should be careful what it wishes for as a split would make perpetual losers out of a lot of mid-level Athletic programs like a Minnesota, a Washington State, or a Mississippi. In a split, the strong will be invincible and the weak will wither away.

RE: Infante: P5 split could be 5-7 years away - BruceMcF - 05-07-2014 03:51 PM

(05-07-2014 03:15 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  The P5 currently has massive amounts of influence over these sports.

If they break away they lose all of that influence in setting direction for the whole of college sports.

You don't want a competitor, no matter how weak. Even if that competitor is weak...someone strong can use it against you.

Why is it so important for the P5 to divorce us? I think we are a pretty cheap servant right now.
It may change depending on how the lawsuits shake out, but one benefit of the Go5 is the legal umbrella ... a school that can't get into the FBS is not just being denied a place by the P5 schools, its being denied a place by ten different conferences at a wide range of levels of AD budgets, average attendance and etc. And that big protective buffer comes at a relatively small price.

An FBS breakaway with the A10 and New Big East as BBall and Olympic sports add-ons would be 12 AQ spots in a "Intercollegiate American Athletic Association (I-AAA)" BBall tournament ... you could give every conference a tournament AQ and a regular season AQ, for 24 AQ spots, pare the BBall tournament down to 40 to have a first round of 8 games and a second round of 16 games, and still have 16 at-large spots to give out .... bearing in mind that the P5 conferences already have 10 schools in the New Big Dance in a two-AQ system.

If there are any mid-major BBall schools left out, they can angle for a Big East, A10 or Olympic-sport-only spot in a Go5 conference, some of whom might like the chance to upgrade their BBall season, and in the process of fighting for a spot in the new system, get diverted from fighting the establishment of the new system.

None of this prediction, of course ... just one way that it could possibly shake out.

(05-07-2014 03:51 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  I've said it before, I'll say it again.

The P5 should be careful what it wishes for as a split would make perpetual losers out of a lot of mid-level Athletic programs like a Minnesota, a Washington State, or a Mississippi. In a split, the strong will be invincible and the weak will wither away.
The "big split" scenario includes the advantage that the P5 (and in BBall Big East and A10) get ample choice of Go5 schools to play. The extra money from shifting the conference share of BBall tourney money from 20% to something more like 80% ought to be more than enough to cover the modest increase in costs of Go5 buy games over FCS buy games.

RE: Infante: P5 split could be 5-7 years away - TrojanCampaign - 05-07-2014 04:03 PM

(05-07-2014 03:51 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(05-07-2014 03:15 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  The P5 currently has massive amounts of influence over these sports.

It may change depending on how the lawsuits shake out, but one benefit of the Go5 is the legal umbrella ... a school that can't get into the FBS is not just being denied a place by the P5 schools, its being denied a place by ten different conferences at a wide range of levels of AD budgets, average attendance and etc. And that big protective buffer comes at a relatively small price.

An FBS breakaway with the A10 and New Big East as BBall and Olympic sports add-ons would be 12 AQ spots in a "Intercollegiate American Athletic Association (I-AAA)" BBall tournament ... you could give every conference a tournament AQ and a regular season AQ, for 24 AQ spots, pare the BBall tournament down to 40 to have a first round of 8 games and a second round of 16 games, and still have 16 at-large spots to give out .... bearing in mind that the P5 conferences already have 10 schools in the New Big Dance in a two-AQ system.

If there are any mid-major BBall schools left out, they can angle for a Big East, A10 or Olympic-sport-only spot in a Go5 conference, some of whom might like the chance to upgrade their BBall season, and in the process of fighting for a spot in the new system, get diverted from fighting the establishment of the new system.

None of this prediction, of course ... just one way that it could possibly shake out.

(05-07-2014 03:51 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  I've said it before, I'll say it again.

The "big split" scenario includes the advantage that the P5 (and in BBall Big East and A10) get ample choice of Go5 schools to play. The extra money from shifting the conference share of BBall tourney money from 20% to something more like 80% ought to be more than enough to cover the modest increase in costs of Go5 buy games over FCS buy games.

And exactly what criteria would be made to include the A-10/Big East and not other conferences? How in the world could anyone make the claim that the AAC, MVC, MWC, and WCC do not deserve to play basketball at the highest level? Not to mention how can you make the claim that programs like La Tech, UNCC, WKU, UAB, heck even South Alabama do not deserve to play basketball at the highest level?

Not pointing the finger at you but while I do agree we need to trim basketball more than FBS many programs do deserve to be there.

RE: Infante: P5 split could be 5-7 years away - bullet - 05-07-2014 04:08 PM

(05-07-2014 03:08 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  
(05-07-2014 02:47 PM)bullet Wrote:  I think people overestimate the value of the bottom conferences. I think a 150 team division I would generate more value in the tournament than a 350 team division I. Noone wants to see 106-56 1 vs. 16 seed games.

I agree. You take out the P5 from the tourney, and yeah sure they could get $200M-$300M on their own (maybe even more) per year, but the remainder to the non-P5 would dry up to a much smaller number than that (maybe only 10%-20% of that). It truly is a case of the sum of the parts being less than the whole. Nobody is going to be willing to pay $500M-$600M per year for the second-level tourney.

I think a 150 team division I would get the $800 million or more from a tourney. And a 65 team Division I would get 500 or 600 or 700 million, not 200-300 million.

Re: RE: Infante: P5 split could be 5-7 years away - ark30inf - 05-07-2014 04:14 PM

(05-07-2014 03:51 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  

If there is a "big split" then it needs to be a real split. You play your guys...we play ours.

This business of "you aren't worth anything, we don't want to associate with you, but we need you to swim, bowl, lacrosse, pole vault, and softball with us" is no way to go through life.

RE: Infante: P5 split could be 5-7 years away - BruceMcF - 05-07-2014 04:27 PM

(05-07-2014 04:03 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  And exactly what criteria would be made to include the A-10/Big East and not other conferences?
We'll see how things shake out over this supposed 5-7 years, but that would have been by virtue of having more at-large bids than AQ's in the last Big Dance.

Sure it was an arbitrary cut-off, but like I said its just one scenario, not a prediction. In any event, under the "Big Split" scenario there will always still be some conference left on the wrong side of the split that would think the split should be shifted out by one. The equilibrium of the split would be where the trouble that the schools left out can make for the Big Split being less than the trouble of including them in the Big Split.

Quote: How in the world could anyone make the claim that the AAC, MVC, MWC, and WCC do not deserve to play basketball at the highest level?
But that scenario involves bringing in a big swathe of protective belt conferences, all of the mid-tier FBS conferences plus a few of the top BB-only conferences, so the AAC and MWC would already be in by virtue of being FBS conferences.

Quote: Not to mention how can you make the claim that programs like La Tech, UNCC, WKU, UAB, heck even South Alabama do not deserve to play basketball at the highest level?
La Tech ~ CUSA, they'd already be in under that scenario.
UNCC ~ CUSA, they'd already be in under that scenario.
WKU ~ CUSA, they'd already be in under that scenario.
UAB ~ CUSA, they'd already be in under that scenario.
South Alabama ~ Sunbelt, they'd already be in under that scenario.

Its more the Zags and Wichita State that are hard done by under that particular scenario (unless they find an Olympic-sports-only home).

I'm thinking you read "FBS plus" and unconcsciously read it as "BCS plus". The FBS/FCS split would be hard and fast, but how far the "IAAA" goes in terms of adding Olympic Sports conferences is obviously something that they can be more elastic on.

RE: Infante: P5 split could be 5-7 years away - ken d - 05-07-2014 05:43 PM

Just to play devil's advocate, why would the P5 care about how much influence they have over other college sports? Which sports do they not already dominate?

You don't have to force the P5 to break away from the non-revenue sports. They would walk away willingly, except for the possible PR criticism they might get.

RE: Infante: P5 split could be 5-7 years away - BruceMcF - 05-07-2014 05:49 PM

(05-07-2014 04:14 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  If there is a "big split" then it needs to be a real split. You play your guys...we play ours.
Yes ... under the "Big Split" scenario (as opposed to the narrower P5 Split), the Go5 would lose access to FCS buy games, because they wouldn't be in the NCAA anymore, they'd be in the breakaway athletic association.

However, I reckon we would take that downside in return for access to the same BBall conference the P5 play and games against P5 schools (even if most of them may be buy games).

RE: Infante: P5 split could be 5-7 years away - bullet - 05-07-2014 06:04 PM

(05-07-2014 05:49 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(05-07-2014 04:14 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  If there is a "big split" then it needs to be a real split. You play your guys...we play ours.
Yes ... under the "Big Split" scenario (as opposed to the narrower P5 Split), the Go5 would lose access to FCS buy games, because they wouldn't be in the NCAA anymore, they'd be in the breakaway athletic association.

However, I reckon we would take that downside in return for access to the same BBall conference the P5 play and games against P5 schools (even if most of them may be buy games).

NCAA schools can and do play NAIA schools. There's nothing to stop it. FCS isn't going to cut off its nose to spite its face.