CSNbbs
passion for ksu athletics.. or lack thereof - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - East Team Talk (/forum-463.html)
+----- Forum: Kent State (/forum-474.html)
+----- Thread: passion for ksu athletics.. or lack thereof (/thread-687361.html)

Pages: 1 2

passion for ksu athletics.. or lack thereof - mmucha - 04-24-2014 11:25 AM

open letter to the forum:

i'm a little down on ksu athletics these days.

1) last years basketball season :(

2) no men's soccer (my fave sport!) no $ to add men's soccer :(

3) no ice hockey. no $ to add ice hockey :(

4) the lower bowl seating at the MACC needs to be fixed.. but we have no $ to do anything about it :(

5) still smarting from last year's baseball defections (head coach & several star players-underclassmen.)

i could go on, but this is enough...

on top of this... my other school, UCONN (class of 89) has none of these problems. comparing apples & oranges, i know.. but their INCREDIBLE success makes ksu athletics look even worse..

this is sooo unlike me (to be down on ksu athletics.) someone, please give me reasons for hope...

RE: passion for ksu athletics.. or lack thereof - burden - 04-24-2014 04:38 PM

I am afraid 2-5 have little chance of getting better. Soccer and ice hockey aren't happening as long as Title 9 is around. Baseball is what it is. We all know one great season and the coach will leave in the big time sports. Only one can even be discussed and after last years basketball season optimism is at an all time low.

For some reason the second/third biggest school in the state just doesn't have money for these things.

RE: passion for ksu athletics.. or lack thereof - Slinkin Street Flash - 04-24-2014 06:01 PM

Hey - upper bowl seating in the MACC is pretty bad too.

RE: passion for ksu athletics.. or lack thereof - bball4me - 04-24-2014 08:17 PM

I question the emphasis. When we made a run in basketball to the Elite 8 not much was done for the program in trying to improve it or invest in it. It seems we thought it would continue to be 20+ wins each year and it would take care of itself. Improvements to baseball, golf and softball (hitting facilities) was done through donors with little from the university (correct me if I am wrong). The banners in the MACC show where our programs have gone.

RE: passion for ksu athletics.. or lack thereof - MACFAN - 04-25-2014 10:14 AM

I agree with you. Cartwright/Kennedy had the door wide open for a push to replace the MACC after the 2001-2 season. In retrospect, they missed what may be the only chance in the last or next ten years to get a new facility. Not to say that they didn't help the other sports programs during their tenure, but they didn't capitalize on this opportunity in MBB.

(04-24-2014 08:17 PM)bball4me Wrote:  I question the emphasis. When we made a run in basketball to the Elite 8 not much was done for the program in trying to improve it or invest in it. It seems we thought it would continue to be 20+ wins each year and it would take care of itself. Improvements to baseball, golf and softball (hitting facilities) was done through donors with little from the university (correct me if I am wrong). The banners in the MACC show where our programs have gone.

RE: passion for ksu athletics.. or lack thereof - Slinkin Street Flash - 04-25-2014 12:52 PM

And it irks me, the news reports about Acorn possibly getting a replacement for the JAR, which is 30 years younger than the MACC

RE: passion for ksu athletics.. or lack thereof - AlphaFlash - 04-27-2014 08:47 AM

I for one am sick of all the blame being placed on the previous administration for the facilities. Alumni donations have been at an all-time high the last couple of years. Ohio, BG, and now Akron have all either built new facilities. NONE OF THEM WENT TO THE ELITE 8. They are also a state-funded university. They get the same coin we do. I understand the need to upgrade the downtown -that also came about 10 years late. Now we need to get on parallel with the other state schools that are in the MAC.

RE: passion for ksu athletics.. or lack thereof - The Flash - 04-27-2014 10:55 AM

Honestly, Kent State runs a DI athletic program with a DII mentality and always has. Frankly, I am surprised that, outside of the negative perception, Kent didn't move to DII 25-30 years ago. We seem a lot more like Grand Valley State in MI than we do a more peer type school like Cincinnati, Fresno State, etc.

That's why I have lost interest.

RE: passion for ksu athletics.. or lack thereof - Polish Hammer - 04-27-2014 11:06 AM

We'll they could just spend spend spend without any conscience like Akron and build a beautiful stadium they can't afford and still doesn't bring a crowd and now will have millions more going to an arena. You'd think they'd learn a little from the stadium debt.

RE: passion for ksu athletics.. or lack thereof - Flash Freak 3 - 04-28-2014 07:31 AM

(04-27-2014 08:47 AM)AlphaFlash Wrote:  I for one am sick of all the blame being placed on the previous administration for the facilities. Alumni donations have been at an all-time high the last couple of years. Ohio, BG, and now Akron have all either built new facilities. NONE OF THEM WENT TO THE ELITE 8. They are also a state-funded university. They get the same coin we do. I understand the need to upgrade the downtown -that also came about 10 years late. Now we need to get on parallel with the other state schools that are in the MAC.

"Ohio" has a new facility? Did you mean to write another MAC school? The Convo at OU was built in '68. Remember, Akron's new arena won't cost the University anything. The proposal listed will all be financed by in increase in the County sales tax. Nothing stopping Portage County from doing this too.

RE: passion for ksu athletics.. or lack thereof - bball4me - 04-28-2014 12:21 PM

(04-28-2014 07:31 AM)Flash Freak 3 Wrote:  
(04-27-2014 08:47 AM)AlphaFlash Wrote:  I for one am sick of all the blame being placed on the previous administration for the facilities. Alumni donations have been at an all-time high the last couple of years. Ohio, BG, and now Akron have all either built new facilities. NONE OF THEM WENT TO THE ELITE 8. They are also a state-funded university. They get the same coin we do. I understand the need to upgrade the downtown -that also came about 10 years late. Now we need to get on parallel with the other state schools that are in the MAC.

"Ohio" has a new facility? Did you mean to write another MAC school? The Convo at OU was built in '68. Remember, Akron's new arena won't cost the University anything. The proposal listed will all be financed by in increase in the County sales tax. Nothing stopping Portage County from doing this too.

There is a big difference in the two counties. Portage is more rural and has less large communities. I believe portage is less off financially than summit. An issue like that would be soundly defeated.

RE: passion for ksu athletics.. or lack thereof - Flash Freak 3 - 04-28-2014 12:46 PM

(04-28-2014 12:21 PM)bball4me Wrote:  
(04-28-2014 07:31 AM)Flash Freak 3 Wrote:  

There is a big difference in the two counties. Portage is more rural and has less large communities. I believe portage is less off financially than summit. An issue like that would be soundly defeated.

I agree totally! That's what I tried to point out. KSU & U of A reside in very different settings with differing opps & difficulties. I doubt Summit Co approves the tax increase and I'm sure Portage wouldn't as well.

RE: passion for ksu athletics.. or lack thereof - KSU 93 - 04-28-2014 01:26 PM

Thankfully have our athletic dept lives in Stow. I am sure they will vote NO

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: passion for ksu athletics.. or lack thereof - ilovegymnast - 04-28-2014 01:45 PM

I think this year has been a pretty good year. Yeah there was a set back in football and basketball but the other sports still thrive. We get to add to 4 championship banners so far this year with 5 more sports to go. We are heading into the championship weekend for Mens golf, currently sitting atop the MAC East in baseball and a few games behind Ball St (3 game series next week) for the MAC lead, Softball is also sitting on top the MAC East and .5 game behind Ball ST as well, and both track teams have been setting school records all year which should lead up to a fun MAC championship.

RE: passion for ksu athletics.. or lack thereof - bball4me - 04-28-2014 08:22 PM

(04-28-2014 01:45 PM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  I think this year has been a pretty good year. Yeah there was a set back in football and basketball but the other sports still thrive. We get to add to 4 championship banners so far this year with 5 more sports to go. We are heading into the championship weekend for Mens golf, currently sitting atop the MAC East in baseball and a few games behind Ball St (3 game series next week) for the MAC lead, Softball is also sitting on top the MAC East and .5 game behind Ball ST as well, and both track teams have been setting school records all year which should lead up to a fun MAC championship.

I think that is great but aren't athletic programs success measured by the first two??????

RE: passion for ksu athletics.. or lack thereof - dannyb73 - 04-28-2014 09:15 PM

(04-28-2014 08:22 PM)bball4me Wrote:  
(04-28-2014 01:45 PM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  I think this year has been a pretty good year. Yeah there was a set back in football and basketball but the other sports still thrive. We get to add to 4 championship banners so far this year with 5 more sports to go. We are heading into the championship weekend for Mens golf, currently sitting atop the MAC East in baseball and a few games behind Ball St (3 game series next week) for the MAC lead, Softball is also sitting on top the MAC East and .5 game behind Ball ST as well, and both track teams have been setting school records all year which should lead up to a fun MAC championship.

I think that is great but aren't athletic programs success measured by the first two??????

No. The Sears trophy won annually by the top athletic program in the country is measured by all sports, not just football and basketball. Same in the MAC with the Reese and Jacoby trophies.

RE: passion for ksu athletics.. or lack thereof - ilovegymnast - 04-28-2014 09:51 PM

So should we just disband all the other sports beside football and basketball?
I am all for being successful in all sports and dominating the MAC across the board. Kent sponsors 18 sports there is a chance that half of our teams will take home a championship trophy. With that said I am sure Akron's AD would love to be able to say the same thing.
Having Akron envy is crazy talk as they have NEVER won either a Reese or Jacoby trophy. Compare that to 5 straight and 8 total Reese. Since 2000 there was only one year that Kent wasn't the winner or the runner up for the trophy. Throw in another 7 Jacoby trophies and there is no reason to care what happens in Akron.

RE: passion for ksu athletics.. or lack thereof - bball4me - 04-29-2014 06:26 AM

(04-28-2014 09:51 PM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  
I am proud that Kent dominates the other sports but where is the emphasis and money spent in athletic programs? The others survive financially through donors; golf, baseball, softball, etc.

So should we just disband all the other sports beside football and basketball?
I am all for being successful in all sports and dominating the MAC across the board. Kent sponsors 18 sports there is a chance that half of our teams will take home a championship trophy. With that said I am sure Akron's AD would love to be able to say the same thing.
Having Akron envy is crazy talk as they have NEVER won either a Reese or Jacoby trophy. Compare that to 5 straight and 8 total Reese. Since 2000 there was only one year that Kent wasn't the winner or the runner up for the trophy. Throw in another 7 Jacoby trophies and there is no reason to care what happens in Akron.

RE: passion for ksu athletics.. or lack thereof - Polish Hammer - 04-29-2014 08:52 AM

(04-28-2014 09:51 PM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  So should we just disband all the other sports beside football and basketball?
04-cheers

RE: passion for ksu athletics.. or lack thereof - bball4me - 04-29-2014 09:44 AM

As I said
I am proud that Kent dominates the other sports but where is the emphasis and money spent in athletic programs? The others survive financially through donors; golf, baseball, softball, etc.

Outside of the MAC and Kent who knows who wins the Jacoby or Reese Trophy's?