CSNbbs
UNLV gets APR bowl ban - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: UNLV gets APR bowl ban (/thread-687280.html)

Pages: 1 2

UNLV gets APR bowl ban - bearcatfan - 04-23-2014 02:59 PM

This reminds me of the joke - Cleveland State will get penalized heavily because <insert P5 school name here> broke some rules.

Some interesting comments from the article -

UNLV became the highest-profile FBS program to suffer a bowl ban for falling below the NCAA's Mendoza Line.

In fact, UNLV is the only FBS program to be penalized in the 10-year history of the mysterious Academic Progress Rate.

...Somewhere deep in the halls of the NCAA, they are likely raising a muted toast.

The system "worked."
Meanwhile, an academic fraud scandal rages at North Carolina. Whistleblower Mary Willingham resigned this week citing to CBSSports.com "workplace hostility." It's hard to reconcile the school's sterling 86 percent graduation rate with this paper that received an A-minus http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2014/03/27/this-gosh-awful-unc-ncaa-athletes-paper-got-an-a/

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24536786/unlvs-bowl-ban-exposes-hypocrisy-of-apr-as-deterrent-for-big-schools

RE: UNLV gets APR bowl ban - CommuterBob - 04-23-2014 03:19 PM

And players can transfer out without penalty, which can possibly make the problem even worse for UNLV.

RE: UNLV gets APR bowl ban - Love and Honor - 04-23-2014 03:31 PM

They just turned the corner too...I guess we now know why.

RE: UNLV gets APR bowl ban - NittanyLion - 04-23-2014 04:09 PM

WOW ... Really??? I hadn't heard that as being part of the penalties. That's a real screw job to UNLV.

(04-23-2014 03:19 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  And players can transfer out without penalty, which can possibly make the problem even worse for UNLV.

RE: UNLV gets APR bowl ban - uconnwhaler - 04-23-2014 08:08 PM

Ha. We have rapists littered all across the NCAA, fake classes, antitrust behavior, and bagmen....and yet we are penalizing actual reported grades.

RE: UNLV gets APR bowl ban - DexterDevil - 04-23-2014 08:28 PM

NCAA is a joke...

RE: UNLV gets APR bowl ban - BigOwensboroCard - 04-23-2014 08:32 PM

Well someone has to pay the price for Kentucky's poor class work. Every year poor Cleveland State seems to get screwed over do to the fact the NCAA will not stand up to Kentucky, and guess what someone has to pay. LOL

This is some what a inside joke that Louisville fans will get, but I really don't want to explain. I think it's pretty obvious what I am saying. Again someone has to go down, and it's not going to be we know who university for they do no wrong.

RE: UNLV gets APR bowl ban - Bull_In_Exile - 04-23-2014 08:38 PM

(04-23-2014 02:59 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  This reminds me of the joke - Cleveland State will get penalized heavily because <insert P5 school name here> broke some rules.

UNLV became the highest-profile FBS program to suffer a bowl ban for falling below the NCAA's Mendoza Line.

In fact, UNLV is the only FBS program to be penalized in the 10-year history of the mysterious Academic Progress Rate.

...Somewhere deep in the halls of the NCAA, they are likely raising a muted toast.

The system "worked."
Meanwhile, an academic fraud scandal rages at North Carolina. Whistleblower Mary Willingham resigned this week citing to CBSSports.com "workplace hostility." It's hard to reconcile the school's sterling 86 percent graduation rate with this paper that received an A-minus http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2014/03/27/this-gosh-awful-unc-ncaa-athletes-paper-got-an-a/

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24536786/unlvs-bowl-ban-exposes-hypocrisy-of-apr-as-deterrent-for-big-schools

Ummm there is nothing mysterious about it...

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2011/8/12/2358542/NCAA-APR-Cutoff-Bowls

Quote:APR will now measured on a four year rotating scale so that a particularly bad year like the one UB just had will not bring the schools APR score below the threshold. The reason for this is that often when a Coach leaves, like Turner Gill did, many players go as well. That negatively impacts the APR for the current season but only counts 25% towards the programs running APR.

UConn missed the NCAA Tournament last year because of the APR rule. I'm not saying that the treatement of NC is not a total embarrassment but lets not pretend graduating less than 50% of your incoming freshman (930 APR) makes UNLV a victim here..

RE: UNLV gets APR bowl ban - Chappy - 04-23-2014 08:38 PM

Shoulda just made up some fake classes and handed out more 'A's.

RE: UNLV gets APR bowl ban - blunderbuss - 04-23-2014 09:33 PM

(04-23-2014 08:08 PM)uconnwhaler Wrote:  Ha. We have rapists littered all across the NCAA, fake classes, antitrust behavior, and bagmen....and yet we are penalizing actual reported grades.

Disgusting isn't it?

RE: UNLV gets APR bowl ban - Wedge - 04-23-2014 10:49 PM

(04-23-2014 08:38 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(04-23-2014 02:59 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  This reminds me of the joke - Cleveland State will get penalized heavily because <insert P5 school name here> broke some rules.

The system "worked."

Ummm there is nothing mysterious about it...

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2011/8/12/2358542/NCAA-APR-Cutoff-Bowls

Quote:APR will now measured on a four year rotating scale so that a particularly bad year like the one UB just had will not bring the schools APR score below the threshold. The reason for this is that often when a Coach leaves, like Turner Gill did, many players go as well. That negatively impacts the APR for the current season but only counts 25% towards the programs running APR.

UConn missed the NCAA Tournament last year because of the APR rule. I'm not saying that the treatement of NC is not a total embarrassment but lets not pretend graduating less than 50% of your incoming freshman (930 APR) makes UNLV a victim here..

Exactly right. Obviously UNC should pay for their shenanigans. But if anyone is arguing that just because UNC hasn't been busted, no one else in college sports should be held accountable... that's a ridiculous argument.

RE: UNLV gets APR bowl ban - CardFan1 - 04-24-2014 05:26 AM

(04-23-2014 08:32 PM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  Well someone has to pay the price for Kentucky's poor class work. Every year poor Cleveland State seems to get screwed over do to the fact the NCAA will not stand up to Kentucky, and guess what someone has to pay. LOL

This is some what a inside joke that Louisville fans will get, but I really don't want to explain. I think it's pretty obvious what I am saying. Again someone has to go down, and it's not going to be we know who university for they do no wrong.

Guess thats why Rupp Arena couldn't get the money for the major renovation. The payroll just went Way up with all of the returning players And the Recruiting Class coming in. Cheaper to buy a Championship.

RE: UNLV gets APR bowl ban - ken d - 04-24-2014 07:50 AM

(04-24-2014 05:26 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  
(04-23-2014 08:32 PM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  Well someone has to pay the price for Kentucky's poor class work. Every year poor Cleveland State seems to get screwed over do to the fact the NCAA will not stand up to Kentucky, and guess what someone has to pay. LOL

Guess thats why Rupp Arena couldn't get the money for the major renovation. The payroll just went Way up with all of the returning players And the Recruiting Class coming in. Cheaper to buy a Championship.

Other than the usual smack talk, which could just as easily be directed at 90% of D-I, I haven't heard anything suggesting Kentucky players are better or worse students than those playing elsewhere. Do you have any facts I don't have?

RE: UNLV gets APR bowl ban - CommuterBob - 04-24-2014 07:56 AM

(04-23-2014 04:09 PM)NittanyLion Wrote:  WOW ... Really??? I hadn't heard that as being part of the penalties. That's a real screw job to UNLV.

(04-23-2014 03:19 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  And players can transfer out without penalty, which can possibly make the problem even worse for UNLV.

It's not part of the penalties so much as it's SOP for the NCAA. If your team gets a postseason ban, the players can transfer out.

RE: UNLV gets APR bowl ban - Hank Schrader - 04-24-2014 05:48 PM

(04-24-2014 07:56 AM)CommuterBob Wrote:  
(04-23-2014 04:09 PM)NittanyLion Wrote:  WOW ... Really??? I hadn't heard that as being part of the penalties. That's a real screw job to UNLV.

It's not part of the penalties so much as it's SOP for the NCAA. If your team gets a postseason ban, the players can transfer out.

The way it worked for basketball was only seniors could transfer without sitting out a year (Alex Oriakhi to Mizzou). Transfer rules applied to all other players and they had to sit out a year (Roscoe Smith to UNLV).

RE: UNLV gets APR bowl ban - Wedge - 04-24-2014 09:26 PM

(04-24-2014 05:48 PM)Hank Schrader Wrote:  
(04-24-2014 07:56 AM)CommuterBob Wrote:  

The way it worked for basketball was only seniors could transfer without sitting out a year (Alex Oriakhi to Mizzou). Transfer rules applied to all other players and they had to sit out a year (Roscoe Smith to UNLV).

Right, if it's a one-year postseason ban, only seniors-to-be can transfer and play right away. If a program gets a two-year ban, juniors-to-be can also transfer and play right away, etc.

RE: UNLV gets APR bowl ban - Leargh! - 04-25-2014 12:30 AM

UNLV needs to study "How to cheat" at UNC.

RE: UNLV gets APR bowl ban - USAFMEDIC - 04-25-2014 02:57 AM

It is amusing that a thread involving UNLV has turned into an SEC/ACC bashing contest.....again.05-stirthepot

RE: UNLV gets APR bowl ban - Melky Cabrera - 04-25-2014 06:36 AM

(04-25-2014 02:57 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  It is amusing that a thread involving UNLV has turned into an SEC/ACC bashing contest.....again.05-stirthepot

If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin', right? 03-lmfao

RE: UNLV gets APR bowl ban - Wedge - 04-26-2014 07:41 PM

(04-25-2014 12:30 AM)Leargh! Wrote:  UNLV needs to study "How to cheat" at UNC.

If you think no one has ever cheated at UNLV, then you've just outed yourself as someone born after 1991. 03-lmfao