CSNbbs
MAC FOOTBALL - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Mid-American Conference Talk (/forum-472.html)
+---- Thread: MAC FOOTBALL (/thread-687233.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

MAC FOOTBALL - KSU 93 - 04-23-2014 10:06 AM

Has anyone seen a MAC preseason football poll? Just curious as to who will be strong in the MAC this year.

RE: MAC FOOTBALL - RedandBlackAttack - 04-23-2014 10:35 AM

(04-23-2014 10:06 AM)KSU 93 Wrote:  Has anyone seen a MAC preseason football poll? Just curious as to who will be strong in the MAC this year.

Top Tier: NIU, BGSU, Toledo

Middle Tier: Ohio, Ball St, Kent, Buffalo, CMU

Lower Tier: Miami, Akron, WMU, EMU, UMass

A few of those teams are interchangeable but I'd put the classes of the MAC in that form.

An exact ranking could go in many different forms.

RE: MAC FOOTBALL - HuskieJohn - 04-27-2014 09:10 AM

(04-23-2014 10:35 AM)RedandBlackAttack Wrote:  
(04-23-2014 10:06 AM)KSU 93 Wrote:  Has anyone seen a MAC preseason football poll? Just curious as to who will be strong in the MAC this year.

A few of those teams are interchangeable but I'd put the classes of the MAC in that form.

I think CMU will be better than Toledo this season. On a neutral field I think they will be better than NIU so I am happy that this years game is in DeKalb.
I think Akron will be at least the second best MAC East team and maybe overall in the conference.

Ranking them on 4hr sleep...
BGSU
Akron
CMU
NIU
Toledo
Buffalo
Ohio
Ball St
Kent St
WMU
Miami
EMU
UMASS

RE: MAC FOOTBALL - Boca Rocket - 04-27-2014 10:17 AM

(04-27-2014 09:10 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  
(04-23-2014 10:35 AM)RedandBlackAttack Wrote:  

I think CMU will be better than Toledo this season. On a neutral field I think they will be better than NIU so I am happy that this years game is in DeKalb.
I think Akron will be at least the second best MAC East team and maybe overall in the conference.

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
Ranking them on 4hr sleep...
BGSU
Akron
CMU
NIU
Toledo
Buffalo
Ohio
Ball St
Kent St
WMU
Miami
EMU
UMASS

RE: MAC FOOTBALL - UofToledoFans - 04-27-2014 03:42 PM

Until CMU can beat the West, I won't give them a nod over anyone in the West who finished higher last season. Ball state loses the most of last seasons top 3 west teams right?

Toledo doesn't lose offense but Reedy, hurt Flu, and a QB who no one in this conference respected anyhow. That running game minus Flu beat some very good teams last year like BG, Buffalo, and Navy. The D didn't lose jack either. 18/24 starters back from game 12 roster? two D linemen, an O lineman, a receiver, qb and punter graduated.

RE: MAC FOOTBALL - BruceMcF - 04-27-2014 10:49 PM

(04-27-2014 09:10 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  I think Akron will be at least the second best MAC East team and maybe overall in the conference.
That could well be right ... Akron showed the indicators last season of a team on the improve.

Of course, its the MAC, so a couple of key injuries at the wrong part of the season and what could have been a top three team can easily fall into the bottom half of the ladder.

RE: MAC FOOTBALL - GFlash68 - 04-28-2014 11:37 AM

The MAC has had some very good QBs in the past. It seems as if the best ones of last year graduated. How would you rank the QBs of this year? I would like to see a ranking.

RE: MAC FOOTBALL - RedandBlackAttack - 04-28-2014 02:10 PM

(04-28-2014 11:37 AM)GFlash68 Wrote:  The MAC has had some very good QBs in the past. It seems as if the best ones of last year graduated. How would you rank the QBs of this year? I would like to see a ranking.

BGSU had the 3rd best QB in the MAC last year and he is back with a couple years of eligibility left.

RE: MAC FOOTBALL - RecoveringHillbilly - 04-28-2014 02:32 PM

Top 3 based on stats and wins are easily Johnson, Licata, and Rush. After that just ???'s with younger, average returning starters and many new starters.

RE: MAC FOOTBALL - cmufanatic - 04-28-2014 02:54 PM

(04-28-2014 02:32 PM)RecoveringHillbilly Wrote:  Top 3 based on stats and wins are easily Johnson, Licata, and Rush. After that just ???'s with younger, average returning starters and many new starters.

cmu red shirt fresh qb rush was thrown into action following an injury to starter kater and then an ineffective 2nd string qb in niznak vs new hampshire in cmu first home game. He played well at times and well poorly at times but I think it was expected due to the minimal time with first string o in spring and fall last season. A great deal of his int's were on CMU side of ball and put our D in bad position. If he can improve on the pics the O should not have trouble scorring as we have a lot of weapons including rb transfer from michigan Thomas Rawls. The D should be improved as well, How much not sure I think we have some good talent on the lines and secondary, lb i feel are a bit slow.
I think NIU and Toledo are still MAC W favorites, I would not be surprised though to see CMU in the mix for the west either. Many feel this should be CMU best roster since Enos arrival 5 yrs ago

RE: MAC FOOTBALL - NIU05 - 04-28-2014 08:20 PM

(04-28-2014 02:54 PM)cmufanatic Wrote:  
(04-28-2014 02:32 PM)RecoveringHillbilly Wrote:  Top 3 based on stats and wins are easily Johnson, Licata, and Rush. After that just ???'s with younger, average returning starters and many new starters.

cmu red shirt fresh qb rush was thrown into action following an injury to starter kater and then an ineffective 2nd string qb in niznak vs new hampshire in cmu first home game. He played well at times and well poorly at times but I think it was expected due to the minimal time with first string o in spring and fall last season. A great deal of his int's were on CMU side of ball and put our D in bad position. If he can improve on the pics the O should not have trouble scorring as we have a lot of weapons including rb transfer from michigan Thomas Rawls. The D should be improved as well, How much not sure I think we have some good talent on the lines and secondary, lb i feel are a bit slow.
I think NIU and Toledo are still MAC W favorites, I would not be surprised though to see CMU in the mix for the west either. Many feel this should be CMU best roster since Enos arrival 5 yrs ago

CMU has the horses to win it all. It's been a while since CMU has won it and they are about due.

RE: MAC FOOTBALL - pono - 04-29-2014 04:16 AM

niu and toledo are still the deepest teams in the west, both are breaking in new qbs - although that might be a good thing for toledo. ball st has been good but loses a lot. western will be either improved or an interesting shipwreck. cmu has a solid roster but has been inconsistent.

in the east akron is certainly on the come up but bg and ohio have been the better teams typically. buffalo looked good at times last yr, loses their stars on both sides but has some good players back.

RE: MAC FOOTBALL - inductchuck16 - 04-29-2014 08:00 AM

(04-28-2014 08:20 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  
(04-28-2014 02:54 PM)cmufanatic Wrote:  

CMU has the horses to win it all. It's been a while since CMU has won it and they are about due.

2009 is not that long ago! Toledo is waaay more overdue!

RE: MAC FOOTBALL - axeme - 04-29-2014 08:34 AM

If you are going by the "due" theory, EMU and Miami will win the divisions next year. (That's just a guess for which teams have gone the longest without a division title. WMU? Can't remember their last...)

RE: MAC FOOTBALL - rocketinchitown - 04-29-2014 08:59 AM

Toledo is definitely overdue.

RE: MAC FOOTBALL - Redwingtom - 04-29-2014 09:04 AM

(04-29-2014 08:34 AM)axeme Wrote:  If you are going by the "due" theory, EMU and Miami will win the divisions next year. (That's just a guess for which teams have gone the longest without a division title. WMU? Can't remember their last...)

No way on Miami. They just won the championship in 2010.

It's Akron...2005.

RE: MAC FOOTBALL - axeme - 04-29-2014 09:48 AM

(04-29-2014 09:04 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(04-29-2014 08:34 AM)axeme Wrote:  If you are going by the "due" theory, EMU and Miami will win the divisions next year. (That's just a guess for which teams have gone the longest without a division title. WMU? Can't remember their last...)

It's Akron...2005.

That's right. Didn't Miami do that last-to-first thing?

RE: MAC FOOTBALL - Love and Honor - 04-29-2014 09:54 AM

(04-29-2014 09:48 AM)axeme Wrote:  
(04-29-2014 09:04 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

It's Akron...2005.

That's right. Didn't Miami do that last-to-first thing?

1-11 to 10-4. It's not happening this year, but I think we have it in us to steal three or four wins and finish ahead of a team or two. We'll see this fall whether it was Treadwell's coaching, Treadwell's players, or both which contributed to our destruction. I'm hoping it's the first, cause Martin seems like he knows what he's doing.

RE: MAC FOOTBALL - ColinApocalypse - 04-29-2014 01:09 PM

Western's last championship was 1988.

RE: MAC FOOTBALL - El Grande Flippero - 04-29-2014 01:19 PM

BGSU has to be one of the more intriguing teams in all of college football this season. You have the top returning QB in the conference, tremendous talent and depth at RB and esp WR and you have the makings of a stout defense lead by a talented and veteran secondary. Normally those are the earmarks of a repeat champion. However, our new HC Dino Babers is installing an offense so dramatically different from the previous HC's that we have the potential to crash and burn if the learning curve proves to be too daunting.

I like what Babers has done thus far...I don't know if he came up with the Falcon Fast tag or not, but it's brilliant. It gives the marketing people a saleable concept...you have to come out to the Doyt to see us run the fatest moving offense in football. You're likely going to see things you've never seen before. That is a major departure from what we've seen before. No one in my recollection has attempted to establish an identity for the team as a means of building interest.