CSNbbs
Bathroom Remodeler - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Charles Harris Memorial People's Forum (/forum-511.html)
+------ Thread: Bathroom Remodeler (/thread-687113.html)

Bathroom Remodeler - TigerNK - 04-22-2014 10:39 AM

Any recommendations? My guest bath is in need of a facelift.

RE: Bathroom Remodeler - umbluegray - 04-22-2014 10:52 AM

(04-22-2014 10:39 AM)TigerNK Wrote:  Any recommendations? My guest bath is in need of a facelift.

Not a DIY person?

Bathrooms aren't that difficult. In fact, they're kinda fun.

Well, except the bathroom in my first house. It was a 2BR/1BA and it was my first DIY project. Gutted the bathroom -- which means you have no bathroom.

But back to your question. Because I do my own remodeling, I don't know anyone to call. But be aware that bathrooms and kitchens run a PREMIUM.

Find someone you can trust and you should be OK.

RE: Bathroom Remodeler - TigerNK - 04-22-2014 11:10 AM

Not really a DIY person. I'm good at maintaining things but not at construction. I'll need tile and sheetrock replaced, plumbing moved and electrical moved. Definitely outside my scope.

RE: Bathroom Remodeler - MemTigerFan - 04-22-2014 12:56 PM

dang, your talking deep surgery not just facelift. don't blame you for not tackling that yourself. We're gonna be working on a facelift for our bathroom, but it's tile paint and wainscoting.

RE: Bathroom Remodeler - supertiger - 04-22-2014 01:29 PM

I've seen tile guys do a surround for a relatively affordable look that can really change the look of a bathroom.

RE: Bathroom Remodeler - supertiger - 04-22-2014 01:30 PM

I'll also say that the new trend towards more walk-in showers is the finest advancement in home construction in 40 years.

RE: Bathroom Remodeler - TigerBill - 04-22-2014 03:56 PM

I've got an awesome guy, but he's working on my house right now. You in a hurry?

RE: Bathroom Remodeler - TigerNK - 04-22-2014 04:01 PM

(04-22-2014 03:56 PM)TigerBill Wrote:  I've got an awesome guy, but he's working on my house right now. You in a hurry?

No just starting to plan and budget. Let me know.

RE: Bathroom Remodeler - TiggerFan - 04-22-2014 04:35 PM

I wouldn't count on Bill's guy to be available. Sounds like he will be shreded by werewolves or swallowed whole by an anaconda at his place any day now.

RE: Bathroom Remodeler - TigerBill - 04-22-2014 05:02 PM

(04-22-2014 04:35 PM)TiggerFan Wrote:  I wouldn't count on Bill's guy to be available. Sounds like he will be shreded by werewolves or swallowed whole by an anaconda at his place any day now.

The anaconda is no sweat, it's a different house. Now the werewolves...I hate to admit it, but we're out of wolfsbane.

RE: Bathroom Remodeler - nutbushtiger - 04-23-2014 04:45 PM

Just don't swing too hard with that sledge or you might go through the other side of the wall, done that before. I am actually going to tackle my bathrooms next fall/winter. I'm for sure going to strip them down to the studs myself, when I get to that point I will make my decision on whether I will try to finish them myself. Want to have some plumbing moved and replaced, will probably let someone do that and i'll do the rest.

RE: Bathroom Remodeler - Latilleon - 04-24-2014 09:38 AM

I don't know about remodeling your bathroom, but I can do some work to keep everyone out of it for about 35, 45 minutes.

RE: Bathroom Remodeler - U_of_Elvis - 04-26-2014 12:07 PM

(04-23-2014 04:36 PM)I_LUV_MEMPHISTIGERS Wrote:  
(04-22-2014 11:10 AM)TigerNK Wrote:  Not really a DIY person. I'm good at maintaining things but not at construction. I'll need tile and sheetrock replaced, plumbing moved and electrical moved. Definitely outside my scope.

What about destruction? You can save some money doing the demolition yourself, and have fun with a sledge hammer. Well, unless you are removing cast iron tubs. Those are some heavy and cumbersome sons of guns and tough to drag to the curb by yourself.

If you are hiring a GC, be sure to question them on their standard waterproofing of your shower walls. If all they do is install what passes building code, you'll may have mold and mildew in the walls down the road. I've seen new construction recently I couldn't believe passed code that made me shudder, that were mold disasters in the making.

I am looking at redoing my shower. I'm thinking about going with Durock + hydroban with the Kerdi or laticrete drain.

RE: Bathroom Remodeler - umbluegray - 04-27-2014 12:02 AM

Someone mentioned walk-in showers. Whatever you do, avoid walk-through showers like the plague.

Those sucker have a horrible draft. They're like a wind tunnel.

And briskly moving air while you're wet isn't a comfortable combination.

Someone didn't think that one through at all.