CSNbbs
NCAA may alter hardship waiver rule - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: NCAA may alter hardship waiver rule (/thread-686722.html)

NCAA may alter hardship waiver rule - PirateMarv - 04-18-2014 12:53 PM

It looks like the immediate right of players to play after transferring for hardship reasons will be going away.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/10802216/ncaa-proposal-force-hardship-transfers-sit-year

RE: NCAA may alter hardship waiver rule - john01992 - 04-18-2014 01:04 PM

I may be a minority but I agree with this. It is too complicated to interpret and it causes more problems than it creates. The alternative that they are proposing (make them sit out a year but retain eligibility) is a much better option IMO.

RE: NCAA may alter hardship waiver rule - ken d - 04-18-2014 01:30 PM

(04-18-2014 01:04 PM)john01992 Wrote:  I may be a minority but I agree with this. It is too complicated to interpret and it causes more problems than it creates. The alternative that they are proposing (make them sit out a year but retain eligibility) is a much better option IMO.

You may be in the minority, but you're not alone. This seems like a reasonable compromise. Compelling for me is the statement that the delay in eligibility will give the student time to focus on whatever non-athletic issues caused him to transfer in the first place without costing him any eligibility.

RE: NCAA may alter hardship waiver rule - stever20 - 04-18-2014 01:33 PM

wait, I thought all the P5 folks were saying that it's going to be instant eligibility for transfers for everyone? Seems like that's a no.

RE: NCAA may alter hardship waiver rule - bullet - 04-18-2014 01:47 PM

(04-18-2014 01:33 PM)stever20 Wrote:  wait, I thought all the P5 folks were saying that it's going to be instant eligibility for transfers for everyone? Seems like that's a no.

Not at all. Its another line of NCAA bureaucratic rulings that is against the student-athletes' interest and keeps them under control.

Now there certainly is room for abuse, but they are denying it to all because it wasn't consistently applied?

And why do they need to sit out? If I'm remembering correctly, the PSU kicker who transferred to Texas (was able to transfer immediately w/o a waiver because of PSU's penalties) primarily moved because his mother in Texas had cancer. Its obvious he wouldn't want to be 1,000 miles away, but he doesn't necessarily need to sit out.

And almost all of the players who want to transfer do so because they aren't getting playing time. In many cases, they have already red-shirted, so they lose another year.

RE: NCAA may alter hardship waiver rule - john01992 - 04-18-2014 01:50 PM

(04-18-2014 01:47 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(04-18-2014 01:33 PM)stever20 Wrote:  wait, I thought all the P5 folks were saying that it's going to be instant eligibility for transfers for everyone? Seems like that's a no.

Not at all. Its another line of NCAA bureaucratic rulings that is against the student-athletes' interest and keeps them under control.

Now there certainly is room for abuse, but they are denying it to all because it wasn't consistently applied?

And why do they need to sit out? If I'm remembering correctly, the PSU kicker who transferred to Texas (was able to transfer immediately w/o a waiver because of PSU's penalties) primarily moved because his mother in Texas had cancer. Its obvious he wouldn't want to be 1,000 miles away, but he doesn't necessarily need to sit out.

And almost all of the players who want to transfer do so because they aren't getting playing time. In many cases, they have already red-shirted, so they lose another year.

There was one player who lost a father & brother in two separate incidents 45 days apart and the NCAA denied his hardship waiver. You simply can not induce logic when talking about the nc2a

RE: NCAA may alter hardship waiver rule - Wedge - 04-18-2014 02:41 PM

This is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. There have certainly been some dubious "hardship" waivers (e.g., there was a kid from the Bay Area whose stated reason for transferring was wanting to be near his family ... and he transferred to UCLA), but obviously there are a lot of athletes who are not superstars and are not affecting competitive balance by transferring (i.e., not using the rule as a loophole to assemble a powerhouse team of hardship transfers) who should be allowed to easily transfer and compete asap.

So instead of doing the work to carefully examine each application, the NCAA is just going to hide under the desk and not make any decisions. Typical.

RE: NCAA may alter hardship waiver rule - arkstfan - 04-18-2014 05:47 PM

(04-18-2014 02:41 PM)Wedge Wrote:  This is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. There have certainly been some dubious "hardship" waivers (e.g., there was a kid from the Bay Area whose stated reason for transferring was wanting to be near his family ... and he transferred to UCLA), but obviously there are a lot of athletes who are not superstars and are not affecting competitive balance by transferring (i.e., not using the rule as a loophole to assemble a powerhouse team of hardship transfers) who should be allowed to easily transfer and compete asap.

So instead of doing the work to carefully examine each application, the NCAA is just going to hide under the desk and not make any decisions. Typical.

AState had a player from Atlanta who said he needed to transfer to be near his ill grandmother but he looked at transferring to Nebraska before landing in Atlanta at Georgia Tech.

The problem with hardship though has been in Indianapolis. It seems to matter greatly which desk the application lands on. The head scratching over applications granted as well as denied undermines confidence in the system.

Since the NCAA can't seem to deliver a system that provides predictable and repeatable results, they are punting.