CSNbbs
There's not enugh blacks in baseball and Bud Selig wants to know why - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: There's not enugh blacks in baseball and Bud Selig wants to know why (/thread-686653.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

There's not enugh blacks in baseball and Bud Selig wants to know why - smn1256 - 04-17-2014 08:25 PM

I just don't know what to say.

Quote:Major League Baseball, alarmed by its historic low 7.7 % of African-American players on opening-day rosters this season, will announce the creation of a formal task force Wednesday to help reverse the decline, three MLB executives told USA TODAY Sports.

The executives spoke on the condition of anonymity because Commissioner Bud Selig has yet to announce it.

The 17-member committee will consist of owners, executives and coaches, including Hall of Famer Frank Robinson, Chicago White Sox vice president Kenny Williams, Tampa Bay Rays owner Stuart Sternberg and Southern University baseball coach Roger Cador.

Selig is urging them to find ways to increase the pipeline of diverse athletes to baseball, particularly African-Americans.

The African-American percentage in baseball this season is the lowest since the Boston Red Sox became the final team to integrate its roster in 1959, according to a USA TODAY Sports study that includes major-league players on the opening-day disabled lists. It's a drop from 8.05% last season, a dramatic decline from 1995 when 19% of the rosters were African-American players, and far from the peak of 27% in 1975.

"I never thought I'd see anything like this,'' Hall of Fame second baseman Joe Morgan told USA TODAY Sports in a telephone interview from Los Angeles on Tuesday. "But I've seen it coming. There, for a long time, there were a lot of African-American players to look up to and emulate, but there's not enough big stars now to dissuade them from basketball and football.''

While Hollywood celebrated the premiere of "42'' Tuesday night, the story of Jackie Robinson breaking baseball's color barrier in 1947, four teams opened the season without a single African-American player on the opening-day roster - the St. Louis Cardinals, San Francisco Giants, Seattle Mariners and Texas Rangers. The Giants, who have won two of the last three World Series championships, did not have a single African-American player in their major-league camp. There are 18 teams who have two or fewer African-American players, with the Philadelphia Phillies and New York Yankees accounting for nearly 17% of the African-American population in baseball.

"I'm not sure there's a way to stem the tide,'' said Morgan, Cincinnati Reds senior adviser. "There has to be more involvement to attract athletes to come here. Let's hope this committee will help. There's no doubt the movie will open eyes, but after that, let's wait.''

Major League Baseball launched its RBI program (Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities) in 1989 and has built four urban academies with three others being developed. MLB rosters are comprised of 28.2% foreign-born players - the fourth-largest total in baseball history - but still struggle to attract many of the best athletes in the United States.

There were seven African-American players selected in the first round of last year's June draft, the most since 1992.

One factor that could reverse the trend in the long term: Concern over head injuries in football. Tuesday, a class-action lawsuit was brought forward by about 4,200 former NFL players in federal court alleging negligence and fraud in handling concussion-linked injuries.

"You look at those kind of things, and that's why I talk to guys trying to get them to play baseball,'' said Reds outfielder Derrick Robinson, 25, who spurned a football scholarship in 2006 to play alongside Tim Tebow and Percy Harvin at the University of Florida. "Some of them say it's boring, but hey, I love it. It's so much better on the body and for longevity.

"Besides, you look at this game now, and it's changing. The game's being revolutionized now with speed and defense. We need all of the great athletes we can get.''

Link

RE: There's not enugh blacks in baseball and Bud Selig wants to know why - EagleRockCafe - 04-17-2014 08:28 PM

Baseball is obviously run by a group of rich racists. They don't care about winning or losing, just keeping blacks out of the game. What is hard to understand.

RE: There's not enugh blacks in baseball and Bud Selig wants to know why - oklalittledixie - 04-17-2014 08:28 PM

So I guess the White House has also partnered with the MLB.

RE: There's not enugh blacks in baseball and Bud Selig wants to know why - dfarr - 04-17-2014 08:49 PM

So has the NBA comissioner starts a task force to investigate why the nba is 80% black?

RE: There's not enugh blacks in baseball and Bud Selig wants to know why - EverRespect - 04-17-2014 08:54 PM

Probably because the sport sucks compared to basketball and football.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

RE: There's not enugh blacks in baseball and Bud Selig wants to know why - UCGrad1992 - 04-17-2014 09:07 PM

Oh for crying out loud! What about the number of Hispanics in MLB? Is that not a good thing in terms of talent and diversity? Why are there fewer white players in the NBA and very few minorities in the NHL? Let's advocate for more studies, more tasks forces, more committees, more social justice, more heartburn....03-banghead

RE: There's not enugh blacks in baseball and Bud Selig wants to know why - THE NC Herd Fan - 04-17-2014 09:10 PM

Hey Bud!!! Take a look at the NHL, MLB is a melting pot compared to that lily white league. 03-nutkick

Why doesn't the NBA have more whites and Hispanics. Why doesn't the NFL have more Asian's?

Why is the black demographic the only race based demo professional sports leagues are worried about?

If professional sports rosters should look like America the NBA would be 60% white and 20% Hispanic.

RE: There's not enugh blacks in baseball and Bud Selig wants to know why - maximus - 04-17-2014 09:11 PM

What a fuken loon

Besides golf, I have stopped watching any professional sports.

Played college baseball, could have played basketball and/or soccer too but went the baseball route. Played sports all over the country growing up. Huge sports fan but the bull **** professional sports has become is unbearable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

RE: There's not enugh blacks in baseball and Bud Selig wants to know why - nomad2u2001 - 04-17-2014 09:12 PM

It's not an everyman's game in the US anymore. If you want to play baseball that's good enough for scouts to attend, you're going to have to be in some expensive travel leagues from little league on up. Even poorer white kids aren't in the game any more. It's getting sort of like hockey and soccer in that regard. Now soccer's trying to get out of that funk but baseball's going right in it.

The game isn't learned and played for fun on a sandlot, empty spot in the road, some field, or anywhere like that anymore. It is played on some well-manicured field that costs a lot to reserve. The game is sanitized. Basketball and football are readily available for free and everyone can come out there and play...if they can ball.

What baseball also lacks is personality. Eccentric characters like Rickey Henderson are gone. Smug guys you hate like Barry Bonds are gone.

Now amongst Latins it is popular because it's the game you play in the streets and they have really big personalities playing the game. Who, white or black, in the game could you consider larger than life right now?

I'll just wait for my black NASCAR winner. That dude would be in for some money!

RE: There's not enugh blacks in baseball and Bud Selig wants to know why - UCGrad1992 - 04-17-2014 09:14 PM

Quote:Major League Baseball revealed some interesting data in its Player Diversity Report, released Nov. 13. Big-league 40-man rosters were 62 percent Caucasian, 28 percent Hispanic, 8 percent African-American, and 1 percent Asian.

Nearly a third of MLB 40 man rosters are made up of Hispanic players. I would predict that the percentage of Asian players will rise over time as well.

RE: There's not enugh blacks in baseball and Bud Selig wants to know why - Fo Shizzle - 04-17-2014 09:15 PM

Are we ever just going to stop with the racial nonsense? This is really getting tired. Who really gives a damn about this?

I am involved with Dixie Youth Baseball...ages 7-12. The ratio is 90 to 10 white to black. I am also involved with city youth basketball ages 8-13 the ratio is 60 to 40 black to white. It has to do with what kids like....nothing more. There is the answer Bud.

RE: There's not enugh blacks in baseball and Bud Selig wants to know why - THE NC Herd Fan - 04-17-2014 09:18 PM

(04-17-2014 09:12 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  It's not an everyman's game in the US anymore. If you want to play baseball that's good enough for scouts to attend, you're going to have to be in some expensive travel leagues from little league on up. Even poorer white kids aren't in the game any more. It's getting sort of like hockey and soccer in that regard. Now soccer's trying to get out of that funk but baseball's going right in it.

The game isn't learned and played for fun on a sandlot, empty spot in the road, some field, or anywhere like that anymore. It is played on some well-manicured field that costs a lot to reserve. The game is sanitized. Basketball and football are readily available for free and everyone can come out there and play...if they can ball.

What baseball also lacks is personality. Eccentric characters like Rickey Henderson are gone. Smug guys you hate like Barry Bonds are gone.

Now amongst Latins it is popular because it's the game you play in the streets and they have really big personalities playing the game. Who, white or black, in the game could you consider larger than life right now?

I'll just wait for my black NASCAR winner. That dude would be in for some money!

My son played club soccer made it to premier level, but I came to the realization that most D1 players come from the Academy level which is extremely expensive and players give up all varsity sports to play at that level. Very few D1 soccer players are selected if all they play is varsity for their school team.

RE: There's not enugh blacks in baseball and Bud Selig wants to know why - nomad2u2001 - 04-17-2014 09:22 PM

(04-17-2014 09:18 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  
(04-17-2014 09:12 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  It's not an everyman's game in the US anymore. If you want to play baseball that's good enough for scouts to attend, you're going to have to be in some expensive travel leagues from little league on up. Even poorer white kids aren't in the game any more. It's getting sort of like hockey and soccer in that regard. Now soccer's trying to get out of that funk but baseball's going right in it.

My son played club soccer made it to premier level, but I came to the realization that most D1 players come from the Academy level which is extremely expensive and players give up all varsity sports to play at that level. Very few D1 soccer players are selected if all they play is varsity for their school team.

Yep. But I see it changing now that kids are actually starting to stay in the sport in large numbers.

The coach for the US team said that this country's soccer system has been ass-backwards. Having parents of the best kids pay a fortune to enter an academy? Everywhere else, the academies pay the best kids.

RE: There's not enugh blacks in baseball and Bud Selig wants to know why - Fo Shizzle - 04-17-2014 09:24 PM

From my experience with travel baseball...If you have talent?...someone will pay your way...regardless of your race or background. That is just what I observe here in my area. I can't speak beyond that. What I see is that there are just not that many black kids that come out to play in the first place. Another problem is "parental help". Very few kids become good at baseball without a Dad that works with them. Unfortunately that is lacking in the black community. Baseball takes a ton of teaching in regard to fundamentals to be skilled. Id say soccer is that way also.

RE: There's not enugh blacks in baseball and Bud Selig wants to know why - UCGrad1992 - 04-17-2014 09:28 PM

[Image: Bud-Selig.jpg]
"Before I step down as Commissioner of MLB I want to leave a legacy that will make a lasting statement in racial diversity of our profession of major leaguers for generations to come."

RE: There's not enugh blacks in baseball and Bud Selig wants to know why - THE NC Herd Fan - 04-17-2014 09:31 PM

(04-17-2014 09:24 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  

From my experience with travel baseball...If you have talent?...someone will pay your way...regardless of your race or background. That is just what I observe here in my area. I can't speak beyond that. What I see is that there are just not that many black kids that come out to play in the first place. Another problem is "parental help". Very few kids become good at baseball without a Dad that works with them. Unfortunately that is lacking in the black community. Baseball takes a ton of teaching in regard to fundamentals to be skilled. Id say soccer is that way also.

Baseball is kind of a dying sport at the youth level. Soccer has really started to pull away a lot of kids that would likely have played baseball.

As for soccer, most of the minority players are Hispanic, from what I can tell, and their parents are very involved. Last year my son was one of two non-Hispanic players on his team. All parents were very involved in helping support the team.

The reason travel baseball teams and club soccer are so expensive is so they can provide fully paid spots to about 1/3 of the players on the roster.

RE: There's not enugh blacks in baseball and Bud Selig wants to know why - nomad2u2001 - 04-17-2014 09:38 PM

It doesn't really take a dad more than basketball and football. You go outside, play with your friends, and when it's time to play organized ball you get coached. I don't know if you remember Kyle Roller from ECU baseball, but he used to substitute teach in PCS with my best friends wife. He said that his parents hired a S&C coach and a hitting coach when he was in 9th grade.

Now I guess that the game itself is passed down from father to son, because it isn't a sport somebody starts to spontaneously like. But besides teaching a kid how to throw straight, there aren't many things a non-coach dad can do that playing with friends can't.

RE: There's not enugh blacks in baseball and Bud Selig wants to know why - nomad2u2001 - 04-17-2014 09:44 PM

(04-17-2014 09:31 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  

Baseball is kind of a dying sport at the youth level. Soccer has really started to pull away a lot of kids that would likely have played baseball.

As for soccer, most of the minority players are Hispanic, from what I can tell, and their parents are very involved. Last year my son was one of two non-Hispanic players on his team. All parents were very involved in helping support the team.

The reason travel baseball teams and club soccer are so expensive is so they can provide fully paid spots to about 1/3 of the players on the roster.

You really shouldn't need those though. They are truly sanitizing the sport.

The legends didn't need those leagues, the hispanics don't need them.

What about our kids is so different?

RE: There's not enugh blacks in baseball and Bud Selig wants to know why - nomad2u2001 - 04-17-2014 09:49 PM

But if you think about it, the black people of today aren't complaining. We just have no interest in the sport. Sure older people are disgusted that there's no interest, but there's really nothing they can do.

As I said, the next frontier is NASCAR. If we can win there, we can win anywhere. Of course, there's even less interest in that "sport".

RE: There's not enugh blacks in baseball and Bud Selig wants to know why - Kaplony - 04-17-2014 10:32 PM

That's a big part of it. The other part is when every sport today has a "travel team" there simply isn't time to play them all.

One of my good friends from high school has three sons. Two are in high school, one is in middle school. All three were outstanding athletes in every sport they tried when they were younger. All three solely play AAU basketball now, and they play year round except for when school ball is in season. All three were picked up by different teams so on average every other weekend he's in one city, his wife is in another, and one of their parents is in a third. His middle son is probably the best in the bunch, but his oldest is getting attention from DII schools from all over the region. If it pays for their education I guess you could call it a success, but IMO the kids have been shortchanged some experiences they could have had in other sports.